Friday Nite Lite: Bada Bing Pope

This is Friday? I had no idea. We got back from Children’s Hospital of Atlanta Scottish Rite late last night. On Monday, my son Jake had a high sugar episode…up to 598. He now has Type 1 Diabetes and is Insulin Dependent. His life has changed completely and drastically. Even though he will be able to live a “normal” life in the long run, now things are bad. We spent three days in Atlanta at the hospital learning about his new regiment of blood glucose test, insulin shots, calculations and other things. It is overwhelming.  He is now having low sugar numbers, and we are having to work through this, but it is getting a little easier each time.

As for the blog and the post:

I don’t know what is going on in my own life at the moment, much less what is going on out there. My newsblur reader is at close to 16,000 unread articles…and there is still so much to do. Anyway, the news? I am sure it is all shitty…I heard about the fucking SCOTUS ruling about the abortion clinic barrier infringing upon “free speech.” WTF is it? Women are going to end up in a worse situation by the end of this year, I feel it. (But then I am not very positive about anything right now.)

So I only have one cartoon tonight.

It is a good one.

PopeMafia by Political Cartoonist Joe Heller

150210 600 PopeMafia cartoons

This is an open thread.

16 Comments on “Friday Nite Lite: Bada Bing Pope”

I’m going through the diabetes thing with my cat Miles. I’m a bit overwhelmed atm by it all. I can’t even imagine how multiplied your feelings must be in regards to mine. The good thing is there is so much that can be done with medicine and diet.

RIP BOBBY WOMACK
    Across 110th Street

One of the best singers, songwriters, producers, guitarists ever !

3. janicen says:

KATY PERRY ‏@katyperry Jun 20
    I told hillaryclinton that I would write her a “theme” song if she needs it… http://instagram.com/p/pe0gUfP-Xa/
    Reply 5.3K Retweet 9K Favorited
    RETWEETS
    5,312
    FAVORITES
    8,986

2:50 PM – 20 Jun 2014 · Details

4. Fannie says:

We are here for you JJ. Your load is heavy, and whatever we can do, we’d be happy to help.
    I’d like to send you a box load of Dreamfield Pasta’s at no cost to you. If you get a chance you might go to their website. I know several diabetics who use it. I know the challenge, as I am pre diabetic, and it runs in the family.

Take good care.

Yes, JJ, we love you and will support you. Thank you for sharing what’s happening with your family. I hope Jake will do well–with a mom like you I’m sure he will.

598! Yikes. Oh JJ, how draining to spend all that time in hospitals and clinics with your son, getting tests and waiting for results. I’m sorry to hear about your son’s diagnosis, but glad that there is treatment.

DM Type 1 is a different critter than DM Type 2. Used to be called “juvenile” and “adult-onset,” respectively, but actually more adults than kids are diagnosed with Type 1. Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder, and diet & exercise tend not to make much difference, whereas they can help tremendously for Type 2. You may have heard horror stories about the “brittle” Type 1 diabetics, but that’s really quite rare.

Glad that the blood sugar checks and the insulin injections & adjustments are getting easier.

I had an exhausting day with multiple family members getting together at my mom’s house to celebrate her 89th birthday. Three of my siblings and partners were here–only one sister didn’t come. Plus three nephews, a niece, and a grand-nephew. It was fun but tiring.

7. ANonOMouse says:

JJ. I am keeping you and Jake in my good thoughts. Diabetes runs in my family too. From my maternal grandfather to aunts, uncles, cousins and 2nd cousins have had insulin dependent diabetes, so I am familiar with the stress and demands of the disease. I’m glad that you and Jake got and will be getting good guidance on how to manage it. I know it’s very difficult and overwhelming but he will learn to manage it quickly and learn that it doesn’t have to rule his life. If I remember correctly Jake played played football, so if he needs some inspiration he might want to check out Jay Cutler QB Chicago Bears. He found out he was diabetic (insulin dependent) about his 3rd or 4th year in the NFL and he’s managed the disease and gone on to become a very good pro QB. Y’all keep your chin up. Peace & love to your family