Wednesday Reads: Charges Pending in After Prom Rape Case

carteles-mag-6Good Morning

I’ve been so wrapped up in the rape case dealing with nearby Calhoun, Georgia…that I have not paid much attention to anything else.

One newspaper from Dalton has the most up to date and thorough report of the assault since it was first reported. From the Dalton Daily Citizen: Charges pending against students in post-prom rape

The alleged rape of a 18-year-old female high school student the Saturday night of May 10 or 11 is being investigated by Gilmer County Sheriff’s Office detectives and the district attorney’s office, Sheriff Stacy Nicholson said Monday. The incident at 20 Edgewater Drive in Coosawattee River Resort primarily involved older teenagers from Calhoun High School who traveled here after their high school prom — and brought plenty of alcohol with them.

A student from Southeast Whitfield High School was also involved, Nicholson confirmed. The parents of one of the Calhoun students own the cabin, according to a sheriff’s office release.

The article continues,

The GBI crime lab is examining evidence from a sexual assault exam kit that includes DNA sampling, Nicholson said. An incident report defines what is alleged to have happened as “strongarm rape.” Three Calhoun High males and the Southeast male student are listed as suspects in the report.

“There was enough alcohol there to float a canoe down the Coosawattee River,” Nicholson said.

“Right at 27 kids came over here (to Ellijay),” he continued. “It doesn’t look like it was planned to be that big a party, (and) there is some evidence her parents didn’t know it was going to be that big — it was supposed to be 6 to 8 girls — there was maybe one or two that were not drinking. The next day the victim, who had some injuries, was taken by her family to the Calhoun hospital, but they were not set up to do the sexual assault exam and she was brought to North Georgia Medical Center.”

The first week after the incident was spent by investigators interviewing the kids involved, he said, with more follow-up interviews this week.

“At this point we have taken some evidence that is being examined by the GBI and their crime lab, and we’re waiting for results,” Nicholson explained. “My detectives and I have had multiple discussions about this case, and with the district attorney. We’ve got help from the DA’s investigators and limited assistance of the GBI in interviewing folks. We want to wait until our forensics come back before we do anything more. No arrests have been made but several are pending.”

He said charges could range from the sexual assault itself to “numerous people” lying to investigators and underage alcohol consumption.

Nicholson was asked if he knew where the alcohol was obtained.

“No, and that’s not the main focus, but it certainly is a focus,” he replied. “It appears that that can’t be linked to one person or the owners of the cabin solely. It looks like there were just a whole host of people that attended the party and brought alcohol.”

The cabin looks as though it belongs to a female student, at least that is what this next paragraph alludes to regarding how the students got into the gated community:

“You can pretty much get through those gates if you have the address and lot number, and I’m sure the girl (whose parents own the cabin) said these cars are going to be with me,” he said.

Property owners “must arrange for any person(s) entry to the (Coosawattee River Resort Association) in advance and must be responsible for that person(s),” the resort’s rules and regulations state.

The Sheriff discussed the investigation as “difficult” but it is encouraging to know that there is charging pending. After so long a period of silence…this was all the investigators needed to say.

“Number one, you’ve got a bunch of teenagers, and secondly, they were drinking moderately to heavily — and a lot of their memories are not clear,” he explained. “So we’ve had to wade through the muddy, vague waters to piece together the story. It’s been like a jigsaw puzzle. What I see here is a group of decent kids who were celebrating a milestone in their lives, and they threw alcohol in the mix. They were completely unattended by any adult supervision whatsoever, and a really bad thing has happened.”

Nicholson said after listening to a three-hour interview of the alleged victim and seeing the evidence, he was “disturbed.”

Does he think the evidence will be returned before Calhoun High’s graduation Friday night?

“A rush request has been made by the district attorney’s office, but I’d be afraid to say,” he replied. “The (Calhoun) superintendent has asked me if I can officially give her the suspects’ names. She’s extremely concerned about graduation, about what kind of riot or circus that may turn into. But that’s for her and Gordon (County) and Calhoun to deal with … I don’t think we’ll be making an arrest by Friday.”

Nicholson said an “insinuation” has been made against his department during the investigation.

“It came completely out of the blue, that we are not looking at this hard because the victim may or may not have ingested alcohol,” he shared. “I can tell you that that’s absolutely not the truth. There are legal hurdles we have to be able to jump (to provide evidence to prosecutors), and we’re making every effort we can make to jump those hurdles. It is my intention, as it stands right now, to arrest the three individuals that are responsible for this assault.”

At any rate, it is good to know that things are moving along. I hope the graduation goes well, rumors have it that the victim will be attending.

The only other new information I have found is that according to one news report:

The police report lists the victim and five witnesses, willing to initially step forward and talk about what happened.

Still no information about the Southeast Whitfield High student that is supposedly a suspect. Will he be allowed to walk at his graduation ceremony? Guess we shall see. I will keep you in the loop.

The rest of the links just here in dump fashion (Key word being “dump”):

The turtle won his primary:

Tuesday night primaries: McConnell, Nunn win big | Al Jazeera America

Hey Ralph, check it out:

Hillary Clinton’s Book Tour Watch: Early Stops in Austin and San Francisco | Still4Hill

From the Black Agenda Report:

Questioning the #BringBackOurGirls Campaign | Black Agenda Report

Eritrea: The Cuba of Africa | Black Agenda Report

Some serious concerns for nuke power plants:

How Rising Seas Could Sink Nuclear Plants On The East Coast

And this headline alone is something I could not resist, here is where the “dump” part comes in:

Evil-Slaying Elf Arrested After Defeating Portland Woman’s Car | Mediaite

Ah, Portland. Stumptown police responded over the weekend to a call that a “pirate” was attacking a woman’s car; they arrived to find not a pirate but a man claiming to be an evil-slaying elf, who was promptly arrested.

A woman who had stopped her car at an early morning traffic light in Northeast Portland (figures) said a man ran out from the side of the street, dressed in chain mail and brandishing a sword and shield, and began assaulting her car.

Konrad Bass told authorities he was “high-elf engaged in battle with the evil Morgoth.” After being shuttled to a nearby hospital, he admitted to taking LSD, which explains a good deal of this post. Bass was charged with “criminal mischief,” but not before striking a blow for whatever his cause: the woman’s car now has several sword slashes on its side.

Consider this an open thread.

86 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Charges Pending in After Prom Rape Case”

1. ANonOMouse says:

What a sad story and one of the saddest aspects is that once again bad decisions by parents seem to be a contributing factor. As a parent I realize you can’t control everything your teen does, but you can control what you, as a parent, consent to. I hope the victim gets the love and support she needs without being victimized again by the community.

2. ANonOMouse says:

Catholic church have a shit-hissy fit

From JMG:

Philadelphia Archbishop Has The Sadz

“The federal district court decision striking down Pennsylvania’s Defense of Marriage Act is a mistake with long-term, negative consequences. Like many other Pennsylvanians, I hope that an appeal will be made promptly. Laws that defend the traditional definition of marriage were enacted for sound reasons—namely to defend the rights of children and contribute to the well-being of the larger community. Marriage is more than a private arrangement between two people. It’s a public commitment of love and fidelity, and it’s ordered not just to companionship but to creating and rearing new life. This is why every child deserves a mother and a father in a loving marriage, and the child is the fruit of that love.” – Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput

Another pillar of the catholic church feigns worry over same sex marriage because the SCARY GAYS will not “defend the rights of children and contribute to the well being of the larger community”. There is so much bullshit in the statement from the Archbishop I’m sure he had to wade out then wipe it off. Truly the catholic church as an institution does not have a stellar record when it comes to defending “the rights of children” and how dare they use children as a cover for their insane homophobia and their fear of losing control of the “propagation of the faith” through archaic and ignorant anti-contraception and anti-abortion mandates on their flock.

Archbishop Chaput, go jump up a mule’s ass, at least then people could recognize you for what you are.

3. This is a hell of a job: ‘Sometimes you cannot bear holding a camera’ | Al Jazeera America

Our eyes tend to turn to the Horn of Africa only when things go badly. And often, for readers of the world’s media outlets, it is through the lens of Mohamed Abdiwahab that we see Somalia. Since 2011, the 27-year-old Mogadishu-based freelance photographer has transmitted 825 images to Agence France-Presse, the worlds oldest news-wire agency. More often than not, they capture an unpalatable brutality.

4. Bebe is having her EOCT exams today in math which is dealing with this exact issue, that the “stuff” taught during the year is not what is tested on: Common Core’s secrets: Why NYC students are opting out | Al Jazeera America

• ANonOMouse says:

That was amazing. When I was in school the exams came from the teachers guide or were a compilation of teachers guide and teachers knowledge of the course material. And Pearson seems to be doing a lot of scholastic testing even at the college level. One of my granddaughters lived with me and she was taking several online college courses all the testing was administered by Pearson

• RalphB says:

Seems to me as if Common Core was a good idea which has been implemented very badly. I would blame no one for opting out of it. Chances are it’s one of those places where business interests (money) has won out over common sense.

Locally we’ve got controversy over the approach and textbooks used to teach kids math:

Common Core is a national math standard devised by the National Governor’s Association with funding from the Gates Foundation and others. It is the latest education fad and there is little evidence that t promotes better understanding of or facility with mathematics. A careful review of Common Core math revealed that it is inferior to the current Washington State math standards.

cliffmass.blogspot.com/2014/05/is-mediocre-math-good-enough-for.html

5. ANonOMouse says:

I think Pat Sajak has either spun one to many wheels in his own brain, or has lost his damn mind trying to see where Vanna’s legs end. Or maybe the hair transplant damaged his frontal lobe. The Wheel needs a new short guy.

Via Raw Story:

Pat Sajak is a science denier, but did you know about all the other crazy stuff he’s said?

Twitter and Facebook were brutalizing him about it. There seem to be a lot of right wing but jobs in Hollywood.

• ANonOMouse says:

I suppose I need to get on twitter. Facebook though just isn’t my thing. I signed up once and offered minimal info on myself. They immediately tried to hook me up with folks I haven’t seen in 50 years. I don’t trust Facebook. And I read your comment about Google and totally agree, No matter what I search on Google, I will see and advertisement for it or something relating to it flashing up on website advertising within minutes. It’s spooky.

The birth of the Hillary Truthers. They want to see her MRI and read her medical records.

Bob Cesca: Remember When We Predicted Hillary’s Brain Would Become A Thing…?

• ANonOMouse says:

So what’s next, Pap Smear, Mammogram, bone density test? And Cesca is correct. in the end they will look like “buffoons”. If the last presicential campaign cycle is any measure they won’t make it out of the primaries without making total asses of themselves. Mr.999, Mr. Frothy MIx, Mr. Moon Colony, Mr. “I can’t remember the name of the other cabinet post I would get rid of”. Ms. HPV vaccinations causes brain damage, Mr. Libertarian Anti-social compacts who receives both Social Security and the Congressional version of Medicare for Congress critters. Mr. 47%,

Maybe they’ll run Mr. Bridgegate, Mr. Frothy Mix, Mr. My brother took this country to 2 unnecessary wars and I couldn’t win in Florida again. Mr. 47% part deux. Mr. Dr.Zeuss and Mr. My Dad is a libertarian racist nutbag and I know he is, so what am I?

• ANonOMouse says:

Ooops I forgot Mr. 999 Pizza Kingpin and serial woman harasser.

• List of X says:

There will probably be a different token black Republican candidate this time. I’m thinking Ben Carson who “starting to hear” God telling him to run for president: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/ben-carson-moves-toward-presidential-run_792757.html

• ANonOMouse says:

This line from the article is priceless:

“If I felt called by God to officially enter the world of politics, I would certainly not hesitate to do so.”

Is this going to be like a Moses on the mountain moment? Is some big finger going to come out of the sky and inscribe, ‘run” on his 4th Generation IPAD? He has a big old bunch of that Elmer Gantry BS style melodrama going on. And as he acknowledged, when you “officially” take the plunge the game changes, Everything he’s ever done will be laid bare at his doorstep. We know how that ends for many of these 30-second wonders.

• List of X says:

I also liked the part about “starting to hear things”. Trust me, if God wanted to tell you to run, he’d make it loud and clear.

• Fannie says:

The truth is they need to have their soppy shitty diapers changed, and Karl Rove is the man for the job.

Les we forget, it was Hillary who helped pioneer HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act) laws. In many cases it had to do with rape issues. Your health care records are private, and it ought to stay that way.

Hillary owns her body, not the Truthers. Like the rest of us, we get to decide about our medical care, and who gets to see those records.

Get ready cause now they are going to try to Kill HIPPA…….Anything that she done that has advanced women and our country, they are going to destroy or alter the history. Let them wear those soppy diapers!

• RalphB says:

Maybe I’m the one who is crazy but I can’t see that being damaging to Hillary if she runs in 2016. She’s obviously always been brilliant and even her enemies know it.

As if they could read an MRI.

Not to mention that MRIs are a lousy way to guess at someone’s intelligence. In some neurodegenerative diseases the MRI matches up with the patient’s physical & mental abilities only about 30% to 50%. You’d just as well flip a coin.

Thanks for keeping us informed about the rape case. I’m glad to know that a serious investigation is happening. If the GBI is involved, that seems like a good sign too.

• Fannie says:

Ditto, I am glad to see GBI is involved.

• RalphB says:

Ditto 2!

• You know, if the sheriff’s office made a the little tidbit of info that the GBI was involved, many of the bad feelings and anguish would have been relaxed. Still concerns but like you say it is a good sign.

I was angry at reading “….basically good kids….it was just the alcohol and the crowd….”

There are NO excuses for rape.

Lots of “good kids” get drunk and don’t gang rape anyone.

• Oh yeah it is maddening…and then you get the assholes who insist that we are the ones who are scum for pointing out the rape culture in their community.

• Fannie says:

You got it NW………this is where more training in the departments are needed!

8. RalphB says:

tpm: WTF? This is utterly disgusting!

I’m not sure why this isn’t a bigger deal. I hadn’t heard about it other than in this brief passage tucked away in a Politico article about the House GOP agriculture bill. But it takes a small program intended provide meals to children in the school lunch program during the summer months and says it can now only be used to benefit kids in “rural areas”.

In other words, “urban” kids are now out of luck. …

What the —

• ANonOMouse says:

They can’t think of enough ways to be evil.

• Fannie says:

Now that Michelle Obama’s program to provide healthier lunches for children and Get up and move program is lowering overweight/obese children, as well as impacting and lowering childhood diabetes. The GOP is pushing back and wants to serve up starcy foods, like potatoes, French fries, etc.. They know that it (potatoes) is already cheap in the stores, but now they want to undo what Michelle has done, by allowing schools to opt out of her program.

You know this all started with these assholes, they can’t stand healthy kids.

9. RalphB says:

One tidbit from last night’s election results in Kentucky, More Democrats voted than Republicans in their much more publicized primary. Can’t really translate it to the general election but Alison Lundergan Grimes came out wonderfully. She swamped McConnell.

• ANonOMouse says:

I think Grimes has a shot, but as we all know there’s a much larger turnout for General Elections. As you said, it’s not easy to “translate”.

• Fannie says:

That would be a good thing Ralph. With 100% precincts reporting, more Dems came out to vote. So if all those dems would have voted for Alison, she would beat McConnell in Nov.

The republicans have a deep well full of money from the PAC-Super Pacs, they can’t afford to dump it all on McConnell.

Alison was on Fire!

That sounds good!

10. List of X says:

I’m sorry to hear about Mitch McConnell. This was probably the first and last time I was rooting for the Tea Party to win.

• ANonOMouse says:

There are actually some things that slither beneath McConnell, and most of those things are affiliated with the Tea Party.

Yes, but McConnell can do more damage from his powerful position in the Senate.

• ANonOMouse says:

You have a point, but if McConnell had gone down to a TP’er the GOP would have just put an equally obnoxious and ridiculous person in his place. The thing I’m cheering for isn’t for a TP’er to defeat him, but for Democrat Alison Grimes to end his reign of ridiculous.

• RalphB says:

If McConnell doesn’t add 20 points or better to his approval rating in the next couple of months, he’s gonna get beat.

• List of X says:

I’m actually not sure which is worse: Tea Party’s heartfelt ignorance and xenophobia, or McConnell’s faked ignorance and xenophobia.

11. ANonOMouse says:

Headlines from JMG:

BREAKING: Pennsylvania Governor WILL NOT Appeal Marriage Equality Ruling!

MONTANA: First Marriage Suit Filed, Dem Gov. Steve Bullock Welcomes Action

12. This is interesting too:

• ANonOMouse says:

I wonder what that’s about

• Fannie says:

I am trying to figure this out…………Michele Taylor (Supt. Edu) says she is concerned about Friday’s graduation, about it “becoming a riot or some kind of circus”……………….The sheriff’s departments says that investigating the case is like trying to solve a “jigsaw puzzle”. I am wondering why are they using such terms? Is it the media? We know how the media spins sexual assaults, often they are not very friendly towards the victim.

I am not an expert on the subject of Title IX, but I wondered since Michele Taylor said the case had nothing to do with school, was she trying to cover up factors? Title IX is about keeping the schools safe. I can tell you this, many years ago, my daughter went to another school in another country, to play basketball, and the boys were allowed to have the bathroom, but the girls had to go another area outside the courts, to go the bathroom and suit up. I filed a complaint, and won that case. But in this case, they went to the cabin after the prom. I can damn well tell you this, the school board, the administrators, had better be afraid of people who are protesting and supporting her. She is a survivor, and they better be prepared. If they overlook this, think about what it means? Students are going to think it is ok to go to another county, and do their thing. There is an UP ROAR, and they should be afraid. It is not okay to rape girls, I don’t care what school, what event you go to. We are proud to do our part in stopping rape.

Georgia needs it’s laws updated. Even though the Federal government has included the term “male rape” in it laws. Georgia has not change it. There laws fail to include those that are incapable of consent because of mental, physical disability, or those who are incapable of consent because of consumption of alcohol or drugs. Georgia needs to update the codes.

The Errors of Edward Snowden and Glenn Greenwald, by George Packer at The UK Prospect. Packer read “No Place to Hide” for us.

Hahahahahaha! I was right.

Packer:

Above all, Snowden is a soldier of the internet, “the most important invention in all human history.” He has said that he grew up not just using it but in it, and that he learned the heroic power of moral action from playing video games. “Basically, the internet allowed me to experience freedom and explore my full capacity as a human being,” Snowden told Greenwald when they met in Hong Kong. “I do not want to live in a world where we have no privacy and no freedom, where the unique value of the internet is snuffed out.” Throughout the past year, Snowden has continually returned to this theme, more often and more passionately than to the idea of constitutional liberties. His utopia is not an actual democratic society, let alone the good life in a three-bedroom bungalow outside Honolulu, but cyberspace. When he saw that his employer, the US government, was invading the free and private place where he had become himself, the effect was of a paradise lost.

Snowden’s leaks can be seen, in part, as a determined effort to restore the web to its original purity—a project of technology rather than law. “Let us speak no more of faith in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of cryptography,” wrote Snowden, in an early message to his collaborators. In March of this year, appearing remotely from Russia on a robotised screen onstage at a TED talk in Vancouver, Snowden said that the single best solution to the NSA’s abuses is stronger encryption: “The internet that we’ve enjoyed in the past has been exactly what we, as not just a nation but as a people around the world, need.” In taking nearly two million highly classified documents from the US, he was grabbing back the key to heaven.

cue the violins:

How did humans ever live before teh internetz? I hope poor Snowden never has his electric power go out for long. On second thought, I hope he does.

• RalphB says:

The sense of oppression among Greenwald, Poitras, and other American dissenters is only possible to those who have lived their entire lives under the rule of law and have come to take it for granted.

Entitled, self-absorbed assholes in one sentence.

I have rage and tears. How many more are there like her in our culture?

• Fannie says:

Mercy!………………Santa Ana California. Forced to marry him and have his child too.

14. An attorney puts his two cents in: WTVC NewsChannel 9 :: News – Top Stories – Calhoun School Keeps Rape Suspects from Graduation Ceremony

The Student Handbook, Rule 42, says, “A student who has been arrested, charged, or convicted in a court with a felony off campus or is charged with assault upon another student or sexual misconduct of a serious nature and whose presence at school could cause substantial disruption.”

In this case, according to Gilmer County investigators, no one has been arrested or charged for the allegedly felony rape.

However the allegations and viral discussion on social media has created a firestorm of interest in the case, bringing numerous media outlets from Chattanooga and Atlanta. Calhoun City schools superintendent, Dr. Michele Taylor, said she is doing everything she can to preserve the end of this school year for students and soon-to-be graduates.

At the superintendent’s request, police officers and faculty created a sidewalk barricade to block students from speaking with media outlets.

Attorney Jason Hood, not involved directly in the case, said, “I would imagine that it’s in their best interest that these folks not be at the same place at the same time, it’s probably in the interest of the other graduates and the other parents who aren’t there.”

According to the incident report, an 18-year-old girl says she passed out in the upstairs bathroom of a Gilmer County cabin — the scene of the after-prom party. She says that is where she was raped by “several guys.”

“It’s an extremely difficult thing to prove that at the time a sex act was committed, the victim was incapable of consenting because she couldn’t remember what had happened and she couldn’t remember who she’d had sex with,” says Attorney Hood.

15. RalphB says:

tp: Pope Francis Makes Biblical Case For Addressing Climate Change: ‘If We Destroy Creation, Creation Will Destroy Us’

Francis also said that humanity’s destruction of the planet is a sinful act, likening it to self-idolatry.

“But when we exploit Creation we destroy the sign of God’s love for us, in destroying Creation we are saying to God: ‘I don’t like it! This is not good!’ ‘So what do you like?’ ‘I like myself!’ – Here, this is sin! Do you see?”

Climate change deniers just picked up another enemy.

Heh. The RWNJs are going to use the “Catholics are not Christians” claim next. The Pope wants to destroy American business, lol.

16. Well Timmy is on Jon Stewart is anyone watching it?

• RalphB says:

Yes. He actually made good sense. I want to watch the whole extended interview when it goes online.

17. RalphB says:

tpm: Poll: Gov. Scott Walker Tied With Dem Opponent Mary Burke

The Wisconsin governor’s between race Democrat Mary Burke and Gov. Scott Walker (R) is tied, according to a new Marquette University poll.

The race is tied with Burke and Walker each getting 46 percent support among registered voters while 6 percent are undecided, the poll found. …