34 Comments on “Friday Nite Lite: Listening in on everyone…”

1. Hope you enjoy those cartoons…

• cygnus says:

lots of gems in there but omg the uterusetc pogo stick is *hilarious!* (if it weren’t so sadly true.)

2. Hey, anyone know how Pat Johnson is doing. I saw she wrote a post on the NSA leak when it first came out http://thewiddershins2.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/in-search-of-privacy/

I haven’t seen her on the blog since.

3. RalphB says:

The Zimmerman’s seem to real pieces of work; bad racist work. Great cartoons JJ!!! Thanks,

4. RalphB says:

Facebook releases government surveillance data

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – Several Internet companies have struck an agreement with the U.S. government to release limited information about the number of surveillance requests they receive, two sources familiar with the discussions told Reuters.

Facebook became the first to release aggregate numbers of requests, saying in a blog post that it received between 9,000 and 10,000 requests for user data in the second half of 2012, covering 18,000 to 19,000 of its users’ accounts.

The NSA missed millions of users with their request.

Good. I hope all the companies do that.

And when is the Guardian going to stop patting itself on the back and release some of their bombshell leaks?

5. RalphB says:

Oz, fuck yeah!

ANOTHER chemical plant explosion in Louisiana not far from the other one. One dead, 7 injured so far.

• RalphB says:

That sounds like a problem with a bad tank which exploded when pressurized. At least nitrogen isn’t flammable.

7. RalphB says:

Thanks to Rick Perry, bosses don’t need to insure workers – so taxpayers foot the bill for injuries. Worker misclassification is a huge problem in Texas.

• Fannie says:

Ralph, it is just a matter of time before Texas becomes a blue state……..Treating the Latino’s like a second class society isn’t going to work, been there done that, and it’s not going to be tolerated for long. Poor Old Texas, then where are they going to be move to next Ralph?

Yeah, contributions to politicans (18 million) and Perry (2 million) is the reason all this his happening. The ideal that companies should comply, hell they’d be on the hook for payroll
      taxes, and Texas can’t allow that to happen, after all they are creating jobs, say about 3 cents an hour. Perry is a cheater, a liar, and one stupid man. He wants to turn everything over to the churches, in order that they can qualify for more money, to help these injured workers. It’s a scam.

This is happening primarly in Texas, I haven’t heard of other states, have you? And they say the state motto is “friendship”……………fool me, they surely aren’t friends to the hard workers who do stoop labor, and build homes, and are on their own when it comes to worker injuries.
      This is so fucking illegal……………I bet the courts are backlogged with cases.

• RalphB says:

I wouldn’t be surprised it worker misclassification happened everywhere but not like here. That’s because in Texas while it is illegal, there is no penalty. So the law is useless.

• roofingbird says:

It absolutely happens in CA. After I left, a construction company I worked for did it with a few of their employees.

Restrictions against it becoming really common here however, include the licensing process and requirements for contractors of all trades.

When I worked in Chicago for 2 years I was shocked to discover that carpenters only needed a business license. In fact that was true for many of the trades there.

8. RalphB says:

Josh Marshall 🙂

So this week I cleverly lured a large of people into calling me a statist lickspittle, managed to get Daniel Ellsberg to call me “stupid” and inadvertently got Mort Sahl to namecheck me in a tweet. If my hippy father were still alive he would definitely be kvelling. Short of resurrecting Lenny Bruce and getting him to somehow take note of me, I’m not sure what mix of things could have made him happier.

9. RalphB says:

Senators skip classified briefing on NSA snooping to catch flights home

Only 47 of 100 senators attended the 2:30 briefing, leaving dozens of chairs in the secure meeting room empty as Clapper, Alexander and other senior officials told lawmakers about classified programs to monitor millions of telephone calls and broad swaths of Internet activity. The room on the lower level of the Capitol Visitor Center is large enough to fit the entire Senate membership, according to a Senate aide.

The Hill was not provided the names of who did, and who didn’t, attend the briefing.

The exodus of colleagues exasperated Senate Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who spent a grueling week answering colleagues’ and media questions about the program.

“It’s hard to get this story out. Even now we have this big briefing — we’ve got Alexander, we’ve got the FBI, we’ve got the Justice Department, we have the FISA Court there, we have Clapper there — and people are leaving,” she said.

Lazy asshats

10. RalphB says:

HuffPo: Rick Perry Vetoes Texas Equal Pay Bill

WASHINGTON — Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) has vetoed a bill meant to prevent wage discrimination against women.

An aide to state Rep. Senfronia Thompson (D), who authored the equal pay bill, HB 950, said Perry’s office called on Friday to say he had vetoed it. State Sen. Wendy Davis (D), who introduced the Senate version of the legislation, told the Texas Tribune that she had received the same call.

A state verson of Lily Ledbetter Act which managed to pass the wingnut legislature.