Damn Austerity! Open Thread

Good Evening

I am very sick, let me re-phrase that…very damn sick. (Mark Twain squared.)

I’ve only got the energy for a couple of things for you tonight.

Dam Austerity by Political Cartoonist Monte Wolverton

130941 600 Dam Austerity cartoons

Willie Nelson audition for the role of Gandalf

With the help of Conan O’Brien, country singer Willie Nelson is auditioning for the role of Gandalf in “Hobbit 2.”

On his unsolicited audition tape, he says, “You can hire me and fire that Ian McKellan guy. He’s a good actor, but hell, I’m Willie Nelson. Oh yeah — and now that I think about it, I’d make a great Magneto.”

Willie celebrates his birthday by the way, the big 80…Video: Watch: Willie Nelson’s ‘Smokin” Audition for ‘The Hobbit’

Any audition that starts with a giddy, “Hey! Look at that dragon!” can only signal good things to come, and Nelson lived up to that early promise, showcasing his acting chops by nailing lines like, “You shall not pass an unlit joint – that’s just not cool” and “That giant flaming eye is freaking me the fuck out!” Nelson and Michah Nelson (reading for Bilbo Baggins) also performed a bit of The Hobbit 2‘s inevitable musical number, “Mammas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Orcs.”

Video at the link. (I’ve tried to embed the video…so if it doesn’t work go to the link.)

Democracy Now has an hour interview with Willie from 2008 here, check it out…

Country Musician Willie Nelson Turns 80: “One Person Carrying a Message Can Change the World”

Willie_nelson-1Country music legend Willie Nelson turns 80 years old today. Last night he performed a benefit birthday concert in Austin to raise money for the fire department of West, Texas — the town devastated by a fertilizer plant explosion that killed 14 people earlier this month. Nelson was born just a few miles away in Abbott, Texas, in 1933. In addition to being one of the most celebrated country musicians, Nelson has been politically active for decades. He co-founded Farm Aid, the annual benefit and awareness-raising concert for small farmers. Nelson has partnered in a biodiesel plant that fuels trucks with vegetable oil. And he serves on the advisory board member for the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. We broadcast an excerpt of our hour-long interview with Nelson when he joined us in our studio in 2008.

I love Willie Nelson…

This is an open thread, I’m getting my  ass back to bed.

19 Comments on “Damn Austerity! Open Thread”

1. Seriously, this sinus infection/ear infection thing has knocked me on my ass! And the antibiotics havent kicked in yet. Night all…

2. ecocatwoman says:

I can’t remember is Jon Stewart’s opening on his April 24th show was posted here or not. I just saw it tonight & it was wonderful. Basically his conclusion is that only the 2nd amendment is safe – every other right can be trampled upon …..if you’re a citizen of the US & a Muslim. Here’s the link:
    http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-trashes-fox-news-for-throwing-out-the-constitution-the-law-is-no-match-for-freedom-math/ The video is at the end of the link.

3. RalphB says:

Looks like another fight between the City of Austin and local school districts against the damn state. Our idiot attorney general Greg Abbott has decided that it’s against state law to offer domestic partner benefits. Soul sucking idiot republicans just will not leave us alone.

What on earth? It’s like state sponsored religious persecution?

• RalphB says:

Yes indeed! I’m sick of this crap. I’d really like to just say screw it and move.

Since almost every employer worth a damn offers domestic partner benefits, wonder if he’ll say it doesn’t apply to private businesses? When they tried this last time, IBM told them to stay out of their way or they just might leave.

• RalphB says:

The funny part of this is one of the local school districts which offers benefits is solidly republican, just not crazee republican.

well back in the day republican meant stay the hell out of my personal choices not force your religion on me

• RalphB says:

There are a few of those left, too bad they’re now a minority.

• RalphB says:

I believe you. I’ve seen far too many up close 🙂

• janicen says:

Move? Where you going to go? The Pacific Northwest is about the only place left with a modicum of sanity. So you can choose between Oregon and Washington. My choice, as I age, would be Oregon because of their death with dignity laws that allow you to end your own life once diagnosed with a terminal disease. But don’t think any of the rest of us have it any better. We’re working our asses off trying to clear the crazies out of Virginia, but they keep reproducing. It’s like a cheap horror film!

• RalphB says:

That’s what makes it so damned irritating. I’m sure as soon as I settled somewhere, they would take it over and it would be no better. Grrrrrrr.

4. RalphB says:

TPM: Jennifer Rubin: ‘Jerk’ Ted Cruz Should Apologize To GOP Colleagues

Cruz is such a good representative of the tea partiers. Pass the popcorn.

5. roofingbird says:

Sandovol in NV is trying to get out in front of the patient bussing scandal:

They shipped those souls to other states as well. I wonder if 1500 is the correct number?