Sunday Reads Late Morning Round-Up: Link Dump Brunch

Vintage Cigarette Card

Vintage Cigarette Card

Good Late Morning

I wanted to give Boston Boomer’s most excellent post from late last night some extra time this morning.  She has drawn some lines between points around the Tsarnaev family that puts the “spook” in spooky. If you have not read her post, go do it now!

We have come to the last Sunday in April, can you believe it? So…let’s get on with this morning’s reads.

Think of this as a Link Dump Brunch if you will…

This first link is a long read by one of my favorite writers and journalist, Kurt Eichenwald.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Is Not an Enemy Combatant, and Other Truths Republicans Don’t Want You to Understand | Vanity Fair

Take some time today to read that piece in full.

Next up, a review of the latest in that ricin case that just keeps on getting weirder…turns out, these dudes were Mensa wannabes. Mississippi Man Arrested in Sending of Letters Laced With Ricin

This is what the former suspect’s brother had to say… (that former suspect was Kevin Curtis…the Elvis impersonator.)

Mr. Curtis’s brother Jack said that neither he nor other relatives immediately dismissed the charges as false, given Mr. Curtis’s history of mental illness.

“We could understand, especially with the things that were tied to his initials,” he said. “I could see why somebody would think it was Kevin. But when they said President Obama, I thought, ‘Somebody messed up because he likes Obama.’ ”

So….they couldn’t rule out the possibility that Kevin did it, cause he was crazy? But when they found out that Obama was a target, they knew it couldn’t be Kevin…cause he likes Obama? That is some logical thinking if you ask me.

In Egypt, there is disturbing news about ancient archeological sites: Egyptians seize pyramid sites for use as cemeteries

Archaeologists fear for pyramid sites as illegal building gathers pace in wake of Arab spring

In Manshiet Dahshur, 25 miles south of Cairo, the villagers recently extended the boundaries of the cemetery. For Ahmed Rageb, a carpenter who buried his cousin in the annexe, it was a logical decision. “We want to bury the dead,” he said, strolling through the new cemetery after visiting his cousin’s tomb. “The old cemetery is full. And there is no other place to bury my family.”

There is just one problem. The new tombs are perilously close to some of Egypt’s oldest: the pyramids of Dahshur, less famous than their larger cousins at Giza, but just as venerable. This is protected land, and no one is supposed to build here – yet more than 1,000 illegal tombs have appeared in the desert since January.

Seems most of the people are not “burying” their dead…they are looking to do a little “illegal excavation.” Read more at the link.

This next link is regarding Obamacare and States refusing to go with expanding Medicaid. How it sticks it to those state’s poor people. Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Could Leave Poor Uninsured Even As Lawful Immigrants Get Aid

It seems that town in Georgia is not the only concentration of gun crazies in the US: Colorado town considers requiring AK-47s and AR-15s in every home

While we are on the subject of ignorant dumbasses…not that every gun crazed nut is an ignorant dumbass. Radio host Papantonio: Anti-intellectualism ‘has become almost epidemic in America’

“Chances are, if you are one of those corporate media-following bone heads who still believe that weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq, or Saddam Hussein blew up the Twin Towers, or Obama is a secret Muslim, or Obama wants to take your guns, or Obama has FEMA prison camps set up for Teabag Republicans, then search no further,” said Papantonio, who is also president of the National Trial Lawyer Association. “You truly are the undereducated, child-like, impressionable, irrational, dangerous cog in America’s political system that puts Democracy most at risk.”

In her book, Papantonio explained, Jacobs found that more than 40 percent of Americans under the age of 44 did not read a single book over the course of the previous year. And their concentration had deteriorated to the point that politicians needed to condense their messages into 8-second soundbytes to grab their attention, leading her to conclude that the country was now “ill with a powerful mutant strain of intertwined ignorance, anti-rationalism and anti-intellectualism,” compounded by schools’ increased emphasis on passing standardized tests instead of comprehensive education on subjects like civics and humanities.

“If the Susan Jacobys are right and anti-intellectualism is a trend in America, then spoon-feeding our children with facts and figures designed merely to pass a standardized test will never prepare them to preserve democracy,” Papantonio said. “The truth is when we firmly grasp timeless themes that can be found in novels like The Grapes of Wrath,Elmer Gantry or 1984, we are on our way to better protecting democracy against the Mitch McConnels, the Rush Limbaughs, the Rand Pauls, Peter Kings, Louie Gohmerts, the Bill O’Reillys and Glenn Becks who infect the process of intelligent conservative rational thinking.”

Just yesterday, my dad wanted us to watch Idiocracy…and I couldn’t do it. I just could not see a movie making fun of what we… our society, has truly become.

Part of the theory of Idiocracy was that stupid people were the ones who kept having more kids, while those with higher IQ’s put off having kids till it was too late. So over time the population became dumber and dumber.

Alex Jones opens dating site for ‘Freedom Lovers’

There are those those who believe that there’s somebody out there for everybody. Including fans of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, whose specialized dating site for his listeners has gained some public attention little more than a month after opening.

As Uproxx reported on Friday, “Dating Freedom Lovers” offers fans of Jones’ InfoWars program the chance to connect with “people that share a passion for liberty and freedom.”

“I’m going to school to be a music teacher,” one user writes. “Hopefully I’ll start a private school someday to compete with the rotting public school system.”

Another hopeful romantic tells the site she is looking for a “TALL single male, with Celtic ancestry for life long [sic] relationship.”

“Unlike Facebook, Google+ and Twitter, which represent little more than vast snooping databases and NSA fronts, we are committed to preserving your privacy,” site administrators wrote in March 2013, adding that they “will never sell your information or divulge any of your details to any third party – government or corporation.”

Well, they have sites for Christian Mingles, Farmer’s only, Bootie Calls, Cougars, Plenty of Fish, you see what I mean…it was only a matter of time before they had something like, love…freedom fighter’s style.

Meanwhile: Today in Conservatism | Mother Jones

The Heritage Foundation and Franklin Center for Government & Public Integrity presented the second annual Breitbart Award to Michelle Malkin, syndicated columnist and Fox News Channel contributor….The Breitbart Award honors those who advocate for the truth — a quality that Malkin exemplifies. As the founder of three successful conservative blogs — michellemalkin.com, Hot Air (now owned by Salem Communications), and Twitchy — has changed the way Americans consume media. Malkin dedicates her life to tackling the issues others often shy away from.

So there you have it. Michelle Malkin is now officially one of the best and the brightest of conservative journalism. Seriously.

I don’t know if staying quiet is Gov. Deal’s political suicide but…Students organizing Georgia integrated prom: Governor’s silence is ‘political suicide’

Interesting background on Ray Charles and Georgia’s State song:  The Late Movies: “Georgia on My Mind” | Mental Floss

WOW, Superman Turns 75: Did You Notice? by Danny Tyree

I am Spartacus! Check out this latest review of Pinning Down Spartacus by Mary Beard | The New York Review of Books

Let’s end this with something pretty.

This is beautiful…Milky Way over Crater Lake | Today’s Image | EarthSkyMilky Way over Crater Lake captured by our friend Ben Coffman Photography during the Lyrid meteor shower.  View larger.  This photo was taken last Saturday night, April 20.  Thanks Ben!  Visit Ben Coffman Photography on Facebook.

Have a great day, and share what you are thinking and reading about today.

(…btw, if you find any errors in the above post, sorry. I am fighting off a sinus infection…and spent all day yesterday making 244 little Scachatta  Sicilian pizzas. With all the cold meds and dopamax, I am seeing stars everywhere I turn. 😉 )

22 Comments on “Sunday Reads Late Morning Round-Up: Link Dump Brunch”

Good morning, JJ. Did you watch “Giant” last night? I really wanted to see it, hope they show it again. I saw it in a theater, but it must have been one of those re-releases. I probably saw it in 1959 or 1960. It came out in 1956. Liz Taylor was gorgeous then and so was James Dean.

• ecocatwoman says:

C’mon, was James Dean ever anything but gorgeous? I didn’t see it listed or I would have watched. I did watch Frost/Nixon yesterday. Great, great film imho.

• janicen says:

I have seen that movie so many times I could practically recite it. It was a classic!

2. ecocatwoman says:

Hope to read your links later. I’m watching MHP & she’s talking about GMO’s. Great panel, with 3 good guys & one GMO cheerleader. Watch now or the video later if you get a chance. Well worth it!

Russia releases details of phone surveillance of Tamerlan Tsarnaev and his mother. Nothing much o it. Please excuse Google translation.

Russian security services handed to the U.S. authorities call recording Tsarnaevyh brothers suspected of committing acts of terrorism in the international marathon in Boston. In conversations, according to an anonymous source agency AR, there are “vague references to” the holy war against infidels (jihad). Officially, the U.S. and Russia refused to comment on the reports.

As stated by the source agency in the U.S. intelligence services, one of the entries is a conversation of one of the brothers Tsarnaevyh with her mother, which took place in 2011. Zubeydat eldest son of Tamerlane and discussing the possibility of moving to the Palestinian Authority, he said that he could not speak Arabic….

Official information about the records do not. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder was asked about it during a press dinner at the White House on Saturday, but he declined to comment: “The investigation is ongoing. I really can not comment on this issue.” The Federal Security Service of the “Interfax” also said they would not comment on this information.

From the report it is unclear on what basis in Russia tapped phones and recorded conversations Tsarnaevyh family. Previously, however, it became known that the Russian secret services in 2011 recommended the U.S. counterparts to pay attention to the eldest of the brothers. A study conducted in the U.S. investigation did not reveal anything suspicious….

On the eve of the American intelligence agencies were able to establish the identity of Michael, the other older brother Tsarnaevyh which, according to relatives, had a strong influence on him and contributed to his conversion to radical Islam. Presumably, it is communion with him pushed Tamerlane abandon sports and music, and be carried away by religion.

Not much added to the AP report.

Israel supposedly bombed a chemical site in Syria.

• RalphB says:

Everybody predicted it. Just read your post from last night and it’s amazingly good. Thanks for the had work and excellent information!

Thank you! I just tried to pull together some facts and ideas–mostly to try to make sense of all the connections.

5. janicen says:

I so want to digest bb’s post from last night and this one too but I’m spoken for over the next several hours. I will definitely read everything later tonight with a lovely cup of tea. Oh wait, part two of the Bletchley Circle trilogy is on PBS tonight. If you haven’t caught it, please do. It is excellent!

Anyway, I just wanted to share that hubby and I went to a “Women Matter” rally and march in downtown Richmond yesterday. Sadly it was poorly attended with maybe only 250 people there but Terry McAuliffe showed up and spoke! (He’s running for gov of VA and understandably has an uphill climb) He wasn’t even on the list of scheduled speakers. I got to meet him and had my husband take my picture with him. I have to say he is much warmer in person than he comes across on TV. I was so excited I was walking on air! Learned two things at the rally. One, that all of the Lily Ledbetter/equal pay, abortion rights assault, birth control restrictions really amount to a tactic to divide and distract us from the wingnuts’ real enemy, the ERA. All we have to do is focus on the ERA and get that passed and all the rest of the issues will be resolved.

The other thing I learned is that there will definitely be a personhood bill introduced in VA but they are hiding it this year because there is a gubernatorial election in November. After the election, they’ll be trying to pass that here in VA.

That sounds like fun! Thanks for the report. I’ve always thought Terry McAuliffe seemed like a nice guy. I’m sure he’s a schmoozer, etc. He seems like one of the most extroverted people ever–even more so than Bill Clinton.

You’re totally right about the ERA.

• ecocatwoman says:

Janicen, I watched it last week & can’t wait for the next episode. It was so refreshing to have 4 highly intelligent women in the lead & also to find out more about the real women who did the code breaking for England during WWII. Reclaiming part of women’s history – ain’t it great?

6. RalphB says:

Mike Papantonio is right, anti-intellectualism is epidemic and sheer dumbassery is now celebrated in the US. Freeeedoooom!

7. RalphB says:

Paul Krugman is shrill: The Great Degrader

I’ve been focused on economic policy lately, so I sort of missed the big push to rehabilitate Bush’s image; also, as a premature anti-Bushist who pointed out how terrible a president he was back when everyone else was praising him as a Great Leader, I’m kind of worn out on the subject.

But it does need to be said: he was a terrible president, arguably the worst ever, and not just for the reasons many others are pointing out.

From what I’ve read, most of the pushback against revisionism focuses on just how bad Bush’s policies were, from the disaster in Iraq to the way he destroyed FEMA, from the way he squandered a budget surplus to the way he drove up Medicare’s costs. And all of that is fair.

But I think there was something even bigger, in some ways, than his policy failures: Bush brought an unprecedented level of systematic dishonesty to American political life, and we may never recover.

Think about his two main “achievements”, if you want to call them that: the tax cuts and the Iraq war, both of which continue to cast long shadows over our nation’s destiny. The key thing to remember is that both were sold with lies.

It gets deservedly better from there!

• ecocatwoman says:

Another good Krugman post. I can’t pick one specific most egregious thing about Bush because there are so many. I do think that he demeaned the office of the president simply because he was & is so downright stupid. Yes, Bush lied, but he lied about everything from going AWOL during his service in the US during the Viet Nam war, to using cocaine. And, he & his cronies (led by brother Jeb) STOLE the 2000 election. Everything just went downhill from there.

• RalphB says:

His entire presidency had the same level of integrity of that election theft, or even less. We are well on our way into the trashcan largely due to Dubya and his criminal enterprise.

Politico worried about “debt crisis dissenters.”

9. RalphB says:

And the intellectual shift away from austerity is not just coming from the left.

The conservative American Enterprise Institute issued a paper last week saying Congress has already achieved enough deficit reduction for now. Other organizations not typically associated with free-spending liberalism, including the International Monetary Fund and Goldman Sachs, have cautioned that the austerity movement — which favors rapid reduction of national debt — may be worsening Europe’s economic problems and slowing down the U.S. recovery, as well.

Considering it’s TBOTP, they did a good job of straight reporting in that piece. I’m pleasantly surprised.

10. ecocatwoman says:

I have to confess that I’m an idiot. I am watching reruns of Monk and who do I see playing a judge? Lawrence O’Donnell. I knew he was a producer on The West Wing but didn’t know he was an actor as well. When I looked him up on imdb lo and behold he played Pres. Jed Bartlett’s monstrous father. I’m willing to be that several of you knew this already. I feel really, really dumb right now & neither my dog nor the cats care.