Late Night Quickies

The Raven Poster

Good Evening!

My husband has confiscated my laptop…so I’ve only got a few minutes before he snatches it away again. Tonight is Edgar Allen Poe night on TCM. Just finished seeing The Raven, it was hilarious. Anyway, here are a few links I found this afternoon.

I’ve found the recent remarks about women, rape and God’s will horrifying. Then I saw this crap that was posted on CNN and my disgust seemed to come around full circle. Unbelievable! But look they removed it…

Post removed: Study looks at voting and hormones – The Chart – CNN.com Blogs

A post previously published in this space regarding a study about how hormones may influence voting choices has been removed.

After further review it was determined that some elements of the story did not meet the editorial standards of CNN.

We thank you for your comments and feedback.

Fortunately, ABL has been on top of the outrageous post and has a series of threads about it.

Shorter @CNN: Single women don’t vote right because of their monthly bleedings. [update 2x] | Angry Black Lady Chronicles

I don’t even know what to say to this.

The female vote may be driven by… the menstrual cycle. #cnn #election2012 on.cnn.com/RDk0D3

— Elizabeth Landau (@lizlandau) October 24, 2012

I just –

The researchers found that during the fertile time of the month, when levels of the hormone estrogen are high, single women appeared more likely to vote for Obama and committed women appeared more likely to vote for Romney, by a margin of at least 20%, Durante said. This seems to be the driver behind the researchers’ overall observation that single women were inclined toward Obama and committed women leaned toward Romney.

Here’s how Durante explains this: When women are ovulating, they “feel sexier,” and therefore lean more toward liberal attitudes on abortion and marriage equality. Married women have the same hormones firing, but tend to take the opposite viewpoint on these issues, she says.

“I think they’re overcompensating for the increase of the hormones motivating them to have sex with other men,” she said. It’s a way of convincing themselves that they’re not the type to give in to such sexual urges, she said.

Durante’s previous research found that women’s ovulation cycles also influence their shopping habits, buying sexier clothes during their most fertile phase.

So if you see a slut in a short skirt voting for Obama on November 6, ask her if she’s married, offer her a tampon and then tell her she really meant to vote for Romney but she just doesn’t know it because her hormones are fucking up her mind-head.

As a side note, my favorite bit of this article is this:

Please continue reading with caution. Although the study will be published in the peer-reviewed journal Psychological Science, several political scientists who read the study have expressed skepticism about its conclusions.

YA THINK!?

It couldn’t be that women feel as if they should maintain some control over their own bodies: Who gets to enter them and who gets to come out. It couldn’t be that single women feel more targeted by Republican policies. Nooooo. We lean liberal because of our fucking periods and whether or not we’re married.

Tweet of the Day: Wimminz and Their Bleeding Edition | Angry Black Lady Chronicles

Some background.  This article entitled, “Do Hormones Drive Women’s Votes?” by CNN has been making the rounds on Twitter.   It’s about a study filled with junk science as to how women may vote differently when they are bleeding than when they don’t.  The only thing I’ll agree with is that liberals are WAY sexier than conservatives* – other than that – it’s rot.  It’s utter nonsense, and yet, CNN thought it important enough to actually write an article about it.  They really are trying desperately to be Fox, right down to the Cavuto Mark in the headline.  ”We’re not saying that’s what happens.  We’re just asking!”  My Angry Black Overlady had a few things to say about it.

She calls it bullshit and rightly so!

Anyway, just go ahead and look at those two links.

On to some more war on women articles:

Rep. Sean Duffy: ‘Radical pro-abortion’ group NARAL is ‘disgusting’ | The Raw Story

Pennsylvania Bill Would Reduce Food Stamp Benefits For Women Who Cannot Prove They Were Raped | Alternet

Remember that woman who was supposedly attacked by the KKK, Why Bogus Hate Crimes Are All the Rage | Alternet

This sort of stuff does not help the situation at all. Anyway give it a look.

The rest in link dump fashion:

The Real Voter Fraud | MyFDL

Balkinization: Was John Yoo right after all?

And we will end with something light and entertaining. Revealed: The serious science behind a baby’s laugh – Science – News – The Independent

TMurders in the Rue Morgue Posterhis is an open thread, Murder in the Rue Morgue is on…mmmm, I love those eyebrows on Bela.

44 Comments on “Late Night Quickies”

1. Hope you all have a wonderful evening…back to the horror evening I go…I love this time of year!

2. Here is more on the CNN story: CNN Publishes, Then Removes Story Asking, ‘Do Hormones Drive Women’s Votes?’ | Mediaite

CNN caused a bit of a stir today when it published a story entitled, “Do hormones drive women’s votes?” Mockery and criticism immediately ensued — until a few hours later when CNN removed the story, publishing an explanation in its place. Some elements, it said, “did not meet editorial standards.”

The story pointed to “new research suggest that hormones may influence female voting choices differently, depending on whether a woman is single or in a committed relationship.” That included one study that “found that women at their most fertile times of the month were less likely to be religious if they were single, and more likely to be religious if they were in committed relationships.”

And then came the dissection of the supposed intersection of hormones and voting tendencies:

Unsurprisingly, this didn’t go over well. Twitter reaction ranged from mocking to bluntly critical (Poynter has a good sampling), and that reaction expanded to outlets like New York Magazine, Jezebel, Salon and the Washington Post.

• roofingbird says:

I guess underlying assumption #1 is that Obama is the one more likely to produce children, while Romney is more likely as a cuckhold to raise them. #2 is that Obama is somehow sexier or virile and more likely to produce children. (Younger or maybe…black.) #3 is that any of us find either remotely appealing.

I personally wouldn’t want either of them within 600 miles of my vagina.

3. RalphB says:

For reactions to that CNN ridiculous story, Rebecca Traister twitter feed cracked me up. I posted a link earlier.

• janicen says:

From the post…

Yeah, that’s it.

Can you guys hear me screaming? Because I am. Loud.

Wingers at it again ….

FBI and Postal Service agents are investigating phony letters warning Florida voters they’re not eligible to vote http://nbcnews.to/QYXjYz

Ralph … maybe you should go deep undercover at the ratf*cker blogs!!!

• RalphB says:

God, I feel dirty. Went to that hole and the posts are simply beyond amazing. Huge fans of Trump, Allen West, the douche who made the anti-Muslim film, and the Romney worship just sucks the giant one. Oh in case we wondered, Rmoney (giant patriot) is killing that squish he’s running against.

The take on the bloggers story is that everyone sold out, except for them. What a crock! I’m not sure there is enough mental acuity there to get up a plan to mail a letter though. That stuff gets done by paid local Roves I would bet.

There is no way those folks ever voted dem or Clinton. They would make Nixon blush and Goldwater look like a peacenik.

• You’ve got more strength than I do, whenever I venture around…I get so disgusted, and like you said…that dirty feeling comes over me. Then that turns into anger, that I ventured over there in the first place. Ugh…

• RalphB says:

Oh and they have a “No Apology” book club. Guess Willard is gonna be their Mao 🙂

5. Beata says:

This virtuous married woman must be ovulating as she tries to convince hormone-controlled undecided females to vote for Romney:

legitimate rape: The Musical

Kurt Andersen ‏@KBAndersen
    Resemblance of 1861 & likely 2012 US political maps so striking: 17 of 19 Union states now D, all 11 Confederates R, 4 border states 2 each.

NYC Launches Clinic Escort Program, Anti-Choicers Offended By “Government Interference” http://shar.es/cC59a #TeamUterati

9. RalphB says:

The Hill: Obama tells Leno: ‘Rape is rape’

“I don’t know how these, come up with these ideas … rape is rape. It is a crime,” the president said. “These various distinctions about rape … don’t make any sense to me.”
    […]
    Obama also joked with Leno about an offer Wednesday from Donald Trump to donate $5 million to a charity of the president’s choice in exchange for his college and passport records. The president, referencing Trump’s accusations that he had not been born in the United States, joked that he and the reality show mogul had a longstanding beef dating back to when they grew up together in Kenya.

“We had constant run-ins on the soccer field,” Obama said. “He wasn’t very good and resented it. When we finally moved to America I thought it would be over.”

The president was also asked if he would like Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to remain on the job if he was reelected. Clinton has repeatedly signaled her intention to retire after the end of the president’s first term.

“She’s done a wonderful job. I would love for her to stay,” the president said, adding that “despite my begging,” it appeared Clinton was looking forward to spending time with her family.

Just as we suspected! Romney uses fake tan spray.

11. RalphB says:

“HORMONES MAKE CHICKS VOTE” PROFESSOR IS EX-PUBLICIST WHO SURE KNOWS HOW TO GET HER NAME IN PRINT

She’s got a long line of ridiculous stories just like the one CNN pulled.

12. RalphB says:

As satire, this post totally works.

TBogg: Let The Purity Purges Begin

Nobody could have predicted that Green Party presidential nominee Dr. Jill Stein and her running mate would be accused of being running dog wannabe-lackeys of the corporate oligarchy:

[ angry screed from EBM ]

I await an even more extreme-left groups condemnation of the Election Boycott Movement (EBM) for using the internet to get their boycott message out because the idea of the interconnected networking system that eventually became the internet was developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) run out of the Defense Department and is therefore inextricably linked to the military-industrial complex making the EBM complicit in drone attacks and mass genocide for corporate profits. Needless to say, lacking an electronic form of mass communication free of the taint of government and corporations, this condemnation of the EBM will be delivered to the masses by way of tiny manifesto’s tied to the legs of carrier pigeons; an action, I should point out, that will only incur the wrath of PETA who will be outraged at the enslavement and subjugation of these freely born and autonomous rats with wings*.

* I understand that this reference will result in my being picketed by the Rats & Pigeons Without Borders Anti-Defamation League once they find enough recycled paper, cruelty-free inks, and sticks made of wood that fell on it’s own, without outside influence, giving itself up to the cause.

Also, splitters!

13. Birth control for deer?

Yes, we live in a country where deer can get birth control and humans can’t. (Women that is.)