Wednesday Reads: Running Late?

Good Morning!

Hope this is not too late, I was falling asleep last night as I started to write this morning’s post.

In Greece, this image is a disturbing greeting to Merkel…Greek police fire tear gas as 40,000 vent a nation’s anger during Merkel’s visit

Getty Images

From high-school students to pensioners, tens of thousands of Greek demonstrators swarmed into Athens yesterday to show the visiting German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, their indignation at their country’s continued austerity measures.

Flouting the government’s ban on protests, an estimated 40,000 people – many carrying posters depicting Ms Merkel as a Nazi – descended on Syntagma Square near the parliament building. Masked youths pelted riot police with rocks as the officers responded with tear gas.

Austerity…it is driving the people to desperation.

Crisis-stricken Spaniards turn to Red Cross for help

Spain’s Red Cross has launched its first campaign specifically designed to help the hundreds of thousands of Spaniards living in poverty as a result of the country’s economic crisis.

The charity already helps two million people in Spain each year, around 80 per cent of whom live below the poverty line, earning a monthly income of €628 (£506) or less.

But in a sign of the harsh times besieging the country, the “Now More Than Ever” appeal aims to widen the charity’s assistance to a further 300,000.

The campaign begins today, on Little Flag Day, traditionally the date when small armies of tin-rattling Red Cross volunteers descend on the streets of Spanish cities in the charity’s most high-profile annual drive to replenish its coffers.

Meanwhile, further economic storm clouds gathered yesterday as the International Monetary Fund provided the latest sign that there will be no let-up in the gloom surrounding the Spanish economy, predicting the country will miss its deficit targets for both 2012 and 2013.

The IMF also forecast that the Spanish economy will shrink by 1.3 per cent in 2013, more than double the government’s prediction of 0.5 per cent. Worldwide, only Greece has a bleaker economic outlook.

This cartoon caught my eye last night as well:

Austerity Rations © Martyn Turner,The Irish Times, Dublin,spain,austerity,rations,pigs,imf,ireland,portugal

Cagle Post » Austerity Rations

More information is coming out of the Obama Administration over Benghazi. State Department: No video protest at the Benghazi consulate

Prior to the attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi late in the evening on Sept. 11, there was no protest outside the compound, a senior State Department official confirmed today, contradicting initial administration statements suggesting that the attack was an opportunistic reaction to unrest caused by an anti-Islam video.

In a conference call with reporters Tuesday, two senior State Department officials gave a detailed accounting of the events that lead to the death of Amb. Chris Stevens and three other Americans. The officials said that prior to the massive attack on the Benghazi compound by dozens of militants carrying heavy weaponry, there was no unrest outside the walls of the compound and no protest that anyone inside the compound was aware of.

In fact, Stevens hosted a series of meetings on the compound throughout the day, ending with a meeting with a Turkish diplomat that began at 7:30 in the evening, and all was quiet in the area.

“The ambassador walked guests out at 8:30 or so; there was nobody on the street. Then at 9:40 they saw on the security cameras that there were armed men invading the compound,” a senior State Department official said. “Everything is calm at 8:30 pm, there is nothing unusual. There had been nothing unusual during the day outside.”

I don’t know why the Obama people are mucking this up…it seems to me they are playing into Romney’s hands.

Romney has changed his position once again on abortion. Romney says abortion legislation isn’t part of his agenda | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

Mitt Romney today said no abortion legislation is part of his agenda, but he would prohibit federally-funded international nonprofits from providing abortions in other countries.

“There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda,” the GOP presidential candidate told The Des Moines Register’s editorial board during a meeting today before his campaign rally at a Van Meter farm.

But by executive order, not by legislation, he would reinstate the so-called Mexico City policy that bans U.S. foreign aid dollars from being used to do abortions, he said.

President Barack Obama dropped the policy on his tenth day in office, Romney said.

Romney has said he opposes abortion, except in instances of rape, incest and when the mother’s life is threatened.

The Obama campaign quickly seized on Romney’s abortion comments Tuesday, sending out a news release accusing Romney of contradicting himself because he has said he would appoint Supreme Court justices who would overturn Roe v. Wade.

Obama’s Iowa spokeswoman, Erin Seidler argued that Romney contradicted himself because has said he supports the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions.

However, the Hyde Amendment is already part of current law. And Romney has said he would appoint justices who are not activist judges.

Romney aides rejected the idea that he contradicted himself.

Spokeswoman Andrea Saul said: “Mitt Romney is proudly pro-life and will be a pro-life president.”

All the while, Ann Romney is accusing Obama of showing ‘poor sportsmanship’

Mitt Romney’s wife, Ann, equated President Obama’s campaign to a petulant child during an interview Tuesday after being asked about charges from the president’s campaign that her husband had “lied” during last week’s debate.

“I mean, lied about what? This is something he’s been saying all along. This is what he believes.  This is his policy, these are his statements,” Ann Romney said in an interview set to air Wednesday on Fox News. “I mean, lie — it’s sort of like someone that’s, you know, in the sandbox that like lost the game and they’re just going to kick sand in someone’s face and say, ‘you liar.’ I mean, it’s like they lost, and so now they just are going to say, OK, the game, we didn’t like the game. So to me, it’s poor sportsmanship.”

Geez, she is worried about his mental health and then calling Romney out on his lies is “poor sportsmanship.”

I will end with this nugget from Fox’s Crowley: Paul Ryan Is The “Author” Of GOP’s “Entire Intellectual Framework” And “A Borderline Professional Athlete”

Sorry for the sparse links and commentary. I am still in a semi-awake state this morning.

36 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Running Late?”

1. ANonOMouse says:

Ann Romney sounds a bit unhinged!

So it wasn’t a lie that 50% of green companies helped by the stimulus went bankrupt when less than 1% did? What was that then? That’s just one example. I’m getting a little fed up with the Romney’s comparing the President of the U.S. to a spoiled child. I’d say that comparison works better with Ann Romney.

• jawbone says:

Statements of untruth which appear to be lies to the likes of us outsiders are not lies to a made Mormon, especially one high up in the church. Mormons are given sanction –even the duty– to lie to non-Mormons if it will increase the strength and power of the Mormon church.

Romney was given sanction (meaning in this situation the freedom, even duty) to say to the voters of MA whatever was necessary to get him elected governor, which was an important step to getting him into the WH. He could say things which went against his own beliefs and principles, against the church’s principles and tenets, in order to win votes.

I guess it’s not a lie to him or Ann if he’s doing it for a good cause. The good will not be for the voters, of course.

As for the Beghazi situation, I don’t know that characterizing it as the Obama administration “mucking up” makes sense. There where lots of embassy attacks under Bush, and I can’t ever recall this kind of scrutiny of them. To expect people thousands of miles away to instantly know what happened doesn’t sound realistic to me.

I don’t think we should buy into the false narrative created by Darrell Issa and Jason Caffetz–who is a close friend of Mitt Romney’s and a campaign surrogate.

• Fannie says:

Of course that is what Issa wants………

• RalphB says:

Susan Rice’s original talking points originally came from the CIA, so it appears everyone now has 20-20 hindsight.

• What I mean is them being on different pages…one admin says one thing, one admin says the other and then the President says something else. Should just keep to one comment until everything is sorted out, like any other crime scene press conference…

JJ,

Monica Crowley isn’t moderating a debate. No one from Fox News is. You’re thinking of Candy Crowley of CNN.

• mablue2 says:

BB I was about to write that too.

I think you could just go into the post and edit that line if JJ isn’t around.

I fixed it. Hope you don’t mind, JJ!

• Thanks BB, I am really off, don’t know why but after sleeping for 18 hours straight I still feel like crap.

It could happen to anyone, JJ. Sorry you don’t feel good. This cold keeps coming back for me. I feel good for a day or two and then if I do too much I get exhausted and feel bad again. I’m getting tired of it.

4. Pat Johnson says:

Whew, less than a month away from the election and Romney has just declared “his love of women” with his latest position on the right to an abortion issue! Thank goodness for us women that this man has found a platform and is sticking to it at long last.

Does he think we are all this stupid? When people declare their opposition to the rights of gays and women – and even if they lack the ability to change these laws at the moment – what they are essentially testifying to is their opposition to equal rights which shoud be enough to send them packing.

But according to today’s headlines Romney is “surging” in the polls! The word “surging” is being tossed around like a Frisbee and all due to his one “debate” where he monopolized the 90 minutes with one lie piled on another that went virtually unchallenged because President Indifferent decided he would not come out to play and the moderator lacked the ability to tell him to color within the lines!

The GOP pundits are “gloating” about the “new” Romney which has caused me to turn off the tv. since it is doing nothing to sustain my blood pressure if this guy manages to pull out a win in the face of his miserable issues and lack of facts.

Bristol Palin, an untalent, is managing to hold on during the dancing eliminations of the show Dancing With the Stars against better performers and it appears to be happening for Romney during the last few weeks of the election.

Not sure how much more I can take if the American electorate is this stupid and so easily fooled by the same mediocrity that gives rise to Romney and Bristol Palin.

Insanity abounds.

There is another debate between Brown and Warren tonight at 7PM. It’s in Springfield.

• Pat Johnson says:

I know. I tried to get tickets but they were gone on the first day the announcement was made.

I am trying to entice a friend to drive downtown just to see if we could maybe get in somehow, or at least catch a glimpse, but not sure if she is all that interested in going. Downtown after dark is not really all that safe these days.

Anyway, I am volunteering for Warren’s campaign with a meeting to be held next week.

It is the least I can do: maybe driving people to the polls, phone banking, or carrying a sign. Whatever it takes.

• Pat Johnson says:

Not sure if you remember, but 4 years ago, on a frigid day in January, I hauled myself out to an appearance from Hillary Clinton that took place here in Springfield.

It had to be 20 degrees and the sun was shining. Had to park almost a mile away owing to the interest of the crowd who showed up. Stood in a line that was almost a mile long for over an hour only to be told that she was running an hour late and I had to give in to “nature calling” so I left.

I was able to catch a livefeed from Springfield College on my computer but I was disappointed in not having the chance to at least see her in person. It took a few hours for my feet to thaw out but I was glad that I at least made the attempt.

I understand the reluctance of my friend in not wanting to travel downtown to Symphony Hall since it has become almost a “war zone” down there after dark and I am sure the parking area will be far from the venue.

No, Pat. I forget all about that Hillary story. You’re probably wise to just watch the debate tonight on TV. If you can, stop by here to join the live blog too!

5. RalphB says:

Wonder if the Des Moines Register is aware of this from politicalwire…

Said Romney: “There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda.”

Spokeswoman Andrea Saul later walked back the comment telling the National Review that Romney “would of course support legislation aimed at providing greater protections for life.”

6. ecocatwoman says:

14 year old girl who spoke out for girls’ education was shot by the Taliban. She’s in the hospital. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-pakistan-girl-familybre8990t7-20121010,0,6995068.story?page=2

That is a courageous and spirited girl. May she live in safety.

The operation on Malala Yousafzai, a campaigner for girls’ rights, went well, her father told the BBC.
      Surgeons have removed a bullet from the head of a 14-year-old girl, a day after she was shot by Taliban gunmen in north-western Pakistan’s Swat Valley.

The attack sparked outrage among many Pakistanis, who gathered in several cities for anti-Taliban protests and held prayers for the girl’s recovery.

The militants said they targeted her because she “promoted secularism”

7. pdgrey says:

I loved her response! My computer died this morning, and I’m really mad and still swollen and “still jacked up on drugs” because looking at the computer is about all I feel like doing. I am using my husband’s computer for this comment and then I have to get off. He logs in from work and I will get in the way of his work. Gee, I just re-read that comment I just wrote, what was so crazy shit. I’m off to do laundry on drugs it should turn out well.

8. ANonOMouse says:

Looks as if the national polls are beginning to level out

Rasmussen Tracking

10/7 – 10/9

1500 LV

Romney 48

Obama 47

Romney +1

Gallup Tracking

10/3 – 10/9

2721 LV

Obama 48

Romney 48

Tie

• ANonOMouse says:

Another reversal

“A new University of North Florida poll conducted from October 1 to October 9 shows President Obama with a four point lead over Mitt Romney, 49 percent to 45 percent.”

9. I am not sure what is wrong with me…completely out of it. Signing off until I get my brain back in order.

• Arrests at Bain-Owned Sensata Plant | Occupy America

With Election Day on the horizon, a Bain-owned company in Freeport, IL, is moving out equipment as it shuts down operations in the U.S. to ship 170 jobs overseas. On Monday, workers and community members blocked the loading dock for a second time to prevent equipment from being removed from the plant. Three community members — including the daughter of a Sensata worker — were arrested when they refused to move after the company called the police.

The company — Sensata — emerged as a flashpoint in the controversy over Romney’s ties to Bain this summer, with the company’s employees pleading publicly with Romney to help save their jobs from being outsourced to China. Not only does Romney stand to profit from the outsourcing of these jobs to China through the stock he still owns in the company, his 2011 tax returns show that he got a huge tax break by moving Sensata stock to a charity organization he controls — and that he continues to profit from Bain’s offshore holdings and tax avoidance strategies.

Sensata workers are certainly not alone watching their jobs sail off to China, or to have wealthy American businessmen profit by investing in those companies

• This is unbelievable, that idiot with the deer headed alter is running unopposed.

Paul Broun Running Unopposed – Paul Broun and What the Democrats Cannot Do – Esquire

Congressman Doctor Paul Broun is running for re-election and he is unopposed.

The Democratic Party in his home district couldn’t find a single person to stand up and offer the voters in that district a chance not to be represented in Congress by an obvious crackpot. No local assistant DA. No ambitious college professor; the University of Georgia is in this district. Nobody wants to stand up and make the argument that it is better for all concerned that your congresscritter not be a nut. Nobody?

“You’re the third person to ask me this question over the last few days,” said Joe Wisenbaker, the Democratic Party chairman in Clarke County, a piece of which also is part of Broun’s district, when I spoke to him just now. “The last one was a Republican woman who was very, very angry that we don’t have a candidate. So here’s what I tell everyone who asks: We do everything we can to encourage people to engage politically and to run as Democrats. Last time, we had a good candidate, a lawyer named Russell Edwards, and he went to work full-time to run against Paul Broun, and he got a third of the vote.”

Since then, the district’s gotten sliced and diced good and proper, but, if we’re ever going to get out of the god-enfeebled fever swamp into which the radicalized Republican Party is pushing the nation, sooner or later, there has to be organized, relentless push back at the ballot boxes everywhere in every election, whether that turns out to be ultimately futile or not. (Of all the things about which Howard Dean was right, this is the most important.) To his everlasting credit, an Army veteran named Stephen Simpson primaried Broun last August, and that was a good thing, even though Simpson got beaten pretty badly. If the Republicans could come up with a candidate to a least raise the question of why we should have frothing loons in our national legislature, the Democrats should do their part as well.

“I’ve got a great number of people telling me that they don’t want to be represented in Congress by a nut,” says Wisenbaker. “I mean, we’re all embarrassed here.”

Dammit, do something about it, then. Find an unemployed UGA grad who can give a speech. At the very least, voters should hear somebody on a platform calling Paul Broun out instead of leaving it at a distance to impotent media snark.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/paul-broun-running-unopposed-13575035#ixzz28vQcHx2X

• One more, seriously…Tennessee: Transcript Reveals Scott DesJarlais Urged Mistress to Have Abortion | At the Races

Rep. Scott DesJarlais (R-Tenn.) was at work on Capitol Hill today despite the media firestorm that was unfolding around him.

According to parts of a transcript from a more-than-decade-old phone call published by the Huffington Post, DesJarlais, then a doctor, urged a pregnant mistress to get an abortion. The woman was a patient of the conservative anti-abortion doctor-turned-lawmaker.

“You told me you’d have an abortion, and now we’re getting too far along without one,” DesJarlais says at one point. He also suggests heading to Atlanta to “solve” the issue.

“Well, we’ve got to do something soon,” he says. “And you’ve even got to admit that because the clock is ticking right?”

According to the report, it was DesJarlis who recorded the call in September of 2000. He defeated then-Rep. Lincoln Davis (D) in 2010, and details of his messy 2001 divorce came to light during that campaign.

The Congressman’s campaign released a statement in response to the transcript, calling it election-year gutter politics. The statement did not deny the call took place or the content of the transcript.

“Desperate personal attacks do not solve our nation’s problems, yet it appears my opponents are choosing to once again engage in the same gutter politics that CBS News called the dirtiest in the nation just 2 years ago,” the statement said.

• Here is Pierce’s take on it: Scott DesJarlais Abortion Quotes – There Is Nothing Sacred About the Politics of Ladyparts – Esquire

Reproductive choice seems to have come back to center stage again. Partly, this is because Willard Romney took time out from surfing his momentum to have another quadrophenic episode in public on the subject. And partly, this is because of this particular baldheaded bag of douche from Tennessee:

“You told me you’d have an abortion, and now we’re getting too far along without one,” DesJarlais tells the woman at one point in the call while negotiating with her over whether he’ll reveal her identity to his wife. They then discuss whether he will accompany her to a procedure to end the sort of life the congressman now describes as “sacred.”

What a swell guy. I remind the assembled that this goober is a United States Congressman. Who is running for re-election. Who likely will be re-elected.

Here’s what I know, as is demonstrated in both these cases. (All Romney’s doing is making the same argument theoretically that DeJarlais tried to run by his girlfriend. It’s all about expediency.) There are very few people who actually are pro-life. There is more talk-talking and less walk-walking on this issue than there is among the Romney boys regarding military service. (By the way, if anyone should ask, Josh? You’re a punk.) Push most of these people to the wall, especially the Penis-Americans in the congregation, and they’re dialing the clinic faster than almost anyone else.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/scott-desjarlais-abortion-13575075#ixzz28w2rHlY7

Look at the rest of the post!