Friday Nite Lites: Elephants on Parade

Hey y’all, it is Friday!

This one up top I found on Facebook (h/t dakinikat)…it sets the tone perfectly.

There are a bunch of cartoons with puffed up elephants this week:

Cagle Post » GOP Stealing Election

GOP Stealing Election © Bob Englehart,The Hartford Courant,Mitt Romney, GOP, Elephant, polls, voter id, photo id, disenfranchisement, vote

Cagle Post » Romney Tax Returns

Romney Tax Returns © Steve Benson,Arizona Republic,Mitt Romney,Ann Romney,taxes,tax return

This next one doesn’t have an elephant, but it is from an artist down under…funny what even other countries see in Romney:

Cagle Post » Romney taxes

Romney taxes © Oliver Schopf,Der Standard, Austria,Mitt Romney,taxes,

From Florida: Cagle Post » LOCAL FL Merit Retention Vote

LOCAL FL Merit Retention Vote © Parker,Florida Today,Florida,GOP,judges,merit retention,chainsaw,judicial,executive,legislative

Cagle Post » Six Foot Two

Six Foot Two © Tim Campbell,Indianapolis,nfl,replacement referees,strike,football,settlement,Those #$%@ Replacement Refs!

Cagle Post » Replacement Ref Bailout

Replacement Ref Bailout © Adam Zyglis,The Buffalo News,lance easley,replacement ref,ref,referee,bank of america,bailout,wall street,vp,vice president,housing,crisis,recession,nfl,sports,entertainment,economy,Those #$%@ Replacement Refs!

From my man Luckovich:

9/26 Mike Luckovich cartoon: Replacements | Mike Luckovich

mike092612

And now two from Pat Bagley:

Cagle Post » Mitt’s Comic Stylings

Mitt's Comic Stylings © Pat Bagley,Salt Lake Tribune,Mitt, Joke, Windows, Airplanes, Ann Romney, Humor, Jobs, Fired, Romney

This next one is fabulous:

Cagle Post » Liberal Numbers

Liberal Numbers © Pat Bagley,Salt Lake Tribune,Liberal Bias, MSM, Media, Polls, Polling, Republicans, GOP, Presidential Race, Mitt, Romney, Numbers

I love the belly on that one.

Sending thoughts out to both Boston Boomer and Wonk the Vote, both have come down with colds…get better!

This is an open thread.

50 Comments on “Friday Nite Lites: Elephants on Parade”

1. I know it is an open thread, and this link may be disturbing but: All the Missing Horses: What Happened to the Wild Horses Tom Davis Bought From the Gov’t? – ProPublica

The Bureau of Land Management faced a crisis this spring.

The agency protects and manages herds of wild horses that still roam the American West, rounding up thousands of them each year to keep populations stable.

But by March, government pens and pastures were nearly full. Efforts to find new storage space had fallen flat. So had most attempts to persuade members of the public to adopt horses. Without a way to relieve the pressure, the agency faced a gridlock that would invite lawsuits and potentially cause long-term damage to the range.

So the BLM did something it has done increasingly over the last few years. It turned to a little-known Colorado livestock hauler named Tom Davis who was willing to buy hundreds of horses at a time, sight unseen, for $10 a head.

The BLM has sold Davis at least 1,700 wild horses and burros since 2009, agency records show — 70 percent of the animals purchased through its sale program.

Like all buyers, Davis signs contracts promising that animals bought from the program will not be slaughtered and insists he finds them good homes.

But Davis is a longtime advocate of horse slaughter. By his own account, he has ducked Colorado law to move animals across state lines and will not say where they end up. He continues to buy wild horses for slaughter from Indian reservations, which are not protected by the same laws. And since 2010, he has been seeking investors for a slaughterhouse of his own.

“Hell, some of the finest meat you will ever eat is a fat yearling colt,” he said. “What is wrong with taking all those BLM horses they got all fat and shiny and setting up a kill plant?”

Animal welfare advocates fear that horses bought by Davis are being sent to the killing floor.

Read the rest…

• HT says:

What next? Lets slaughter all those stray dogs and cats and eat them? And I’m not even a vegetarian, but I’m rapidly getting to that point. My daughter is a vegan, son a vegie and I don’t eat meat often so it wouldn’t be a problem however once in awhile I do like a piece of chicken and fish. Given this, I may swear off any meat of any kind.
      The statement that the finest meat yada yada reminds me of a horror movie I saw a long time ago, but the meat was human.

• pdgrey says:

That is really upsetting to me, this is the kind of thing that no one reports during election years. it just falls way back on anyone’s radar. I wish i knew what to do to help. I will look to see if anyone is trying to help get this man away from any animal.

• Fannie says:

McCaskill slamed them for not passing the farm bill today………….you know that is part food stamps. I can only think that they have plans on canning the horse meat, and feeding it to those who are starving. And who stands to gain from this? Davis.

The BLM must know it’s being fooled, and should enforce their regs.

My other thought is that as a vegetarian, I don’t see much ethical difference between eating cattle, horses, deer, or other “food animals.”

• HT says:

Ralph, just went to that site from a link on Pierce’s site, and could not believe that crap. Do these cretins know how that makes them look to the outside world, never mind the majority of thinking Americans. Disgusting filth. Even Larry Flynt would not stoop that low. I’ve been alive a long time, and I must admit, even with the distasteful “Chimperor” crap during GW’s regime, I have never, ever seen this level of disrespect for a sitting President outside of the Clinton derangement period, and that I thought was the height of shamefulness. Do these people believe that the Presidency is a media event? Do they believe that they should treat the position and the occupant the same as TMZ or E or radaronline treat movie people, because that’s exactly what they are doing.

• RalphB says:

Those miserable assholes are out there because their lousy hate sells and they can make a buck off it. What I want to know is who the rich scumbag is that’s paying for that damn movie to be sent to voters all over the place. They all should be tarred and feathered but that guy should go first!

By the way, this has Koch and Rove’s stink all over it. It’s the modern equivalent of leafletting church parking lots.

• ANonOMouse says:

“These damned people are the scum of the earth!!!!!”

Abso-damned-lutely!!!!

2. RalphB says:

Tin soldiers and Ryan coming
    We’re finally on our own
    This autumn I hear the drumming
    Mitt’s toast in Ohio

3. pdgrey says:

JJ, i was so upset about Tom Davis, I forgot to tell you funny round up of cartoons!

The real shame is that more people could afford it if was a nationalized plan because the cost savings alone with that would mean people COULD afford it at more levels. So many people that work don’t get health insurance now. They don’t even have to be on the “dole”. Selfish and stupid! Leave the insurance companies to gap and luxury type plans and give every one a basic plan and it would clear up so many people’s problems and even save that nut money.

• pdgrey says:

No one remembers Regan passed a law to make emergency rooms take all patients.

• RalphB says:

That ass wouldn’t care about that though. He’s only concerned that someone else may do as well as him and, because he works, they shouldn’t. Just another petty story from the plantation way of looking at life.

• pdgrey says:

I should have added, Regan did that to keep the insurance company’s raking in that money so he didn’t look like a heartless bastard. And just look what it reaped, people who have the money to buy insurance are mad at the poor and not at the people who won’t take out the middle man. Same can be said about the way student loans work. I could go on.

• pdgrey says:

Honestly, Dak, I have great reservations about Obama, I wanted to wait until the election is over to voice what I want the left to do to let him know just how angry some us are. The truth is I’m not crazy and I wouldn’t vote for a republican if I were waterboarded.

I’m not keen on him either but the Republicans have gone way beyond being marginally worse. Look at Akin. Look at Palin. Look at Bachmann and West. These folks are insane and stupid. There’s more of them waiting in the wings too. The Republican party needs to be severely beaten at this point. They’ve been taken over by extremists.

It’s not just those fringe people. Look at Ryan. Look at Eric Cantor. I could go on and on.

• pdgrey says:

Oh, I know everyone here feels generally like me I was looking forward, if he is re-elected and how we and make him do the right things.

How do we “make him” do the right things? That philosophy didn’t work so well after Obama won in ’08.

I think he’s evolved. We just have no idea how far. Hopefully, we get to find out. A lot of good stuff happened when Pelosi was on her way out so maybe they want mess up the next chance. I think he came in thinking his great personality was just going to get folks to roll over for him. Obviously, he’s been disabused of that notion. Maybe a good dose of humility will now make him more open to doing the right thing.

• quixote says:

pdgrey: “if he is re-elected, how do we make him do the right things”

Why, the same ways that worked so well in the first term, when he used his filibuster-proof majorities to pass a stimulus bill that’s finally put the country on a green energy path, and to pass his single-payer health plan, and the homeowners’ plan that saved millions from foreclosure. Gosh, I could go on. As a staunchly anti-war President, there’s the peace dividend, too.

Of course, in a second term he won’t have to worry about re-election, so he may be bit less responsive to voters.

(Am I furious and frustrated? Yes. Yes, I am. Why do you ask?

As I said elsewhere, given how horrible Romney’s promises are, I can understand people voting for this piece of work anyway. But nothing can make it a good alternative.)

4. ANonOMouse says:

JJ…..Great cartoons. thanks for the roundup!

Forgive me if this has already been posted.

Ann Romney strikes again:

Ann Romney: biggest fear is for Mitt’s “mental well-being”

In an interview Thursday with television station KTVN, Mrs. Romney was asked what her biggest worry was should Mitt Romney be elected to serve in the White House.

“I think my biggest concern obviously would just be for his mental well-being,” she said. “I have all the confidence in the world in his ability, in his decisiveness, in his leadership skills, in his understanding of the economy. … So for me I think it would just be the emotional part of it.”

7. pdgrey says:

Just an interesting tid-bit

Dr. Lawrence Britt has examined the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia) and several Latin American regimes.

Britt found 14 defining characteristics common to each:

1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
    2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
    3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
    4. Supremacy of the Military
    6. Controlled Mass Media
    7. Obsession with National Security

8. Religion and Government are Intertwined
    9. Corporate Power is Protected
    10. Labor Power is Suppressed.

11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
    12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment
    13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
    14. Fraudulent Elections

That’s a good one. I’ve wondered that too. His family doesn’t appear to know that they are captured by some one who acts like a cult leader.

• pdgrey says:

It’s like that Twilight Zone episode “After Hours” I think Mitt is the mannequin. He just didn’t make it back to the 9th floor. Or the New republican party (2010 circa) This Twilight Zone is just for them.
        Here it is if you have 20 minutes.The Obsolete Man (Romney Wordsworth)

The

JJ, you have a fantastic eye for the best cartoons! I need the mental-health benefits of laughter, especially these days.

“These numbers can’t be right!”