September 11 Photo Connections

Photo: CUNY, The 911 Digital Archive. Please click for more image info.

My daughter Bebe wanted her dad to come to her history class this morning and talk about his experience as a survivor on September 11, 2001. He did not want to do it…it still hurts.

Getting Dan to talk about that day is very difficult. Sometimes he will mention a few descriptions of images or thoughts or smells, but it is very rare. His nightmares have subsided, at least ones that are so real too him they wake me up.

Last year I wrote about my family’s personal experiences, and my own thoughts about that day…you can take a look at that post here…Sunday: September 11th…2011 « Sky Dancing

So for this, the eleventh anniversary of September 11, 2001, I thought it would be good to find some photos of what that day was like for my husband and so many other survivors who still remember that war zone as vividly as if it happened yesterday.

First, I want you to click on this link to a Flickr Slide Show.  These are images of Liberty St., Maiden Lane, Battery Park and the Financial District Downtown NYC on September 11, 2001 and the days that follow. (If that slide show does not load, click here for the photo stream.)

I also came across this blog, which has some fascinating pictures and thoughts…13 Days: The World Trade Center, Day One

Day One: September 11

9:02 am 11:02 am

Woke up to sirens and radio reports of an incident at the World Trade Center. I grabbed my camera and was out on the street by 9:00.

This blog discusses the first 13 days and the first 13 weeks and the first 13 months after the attack on World Trade.

Fall, 2001

The collapse of the World Trade Center is one of those rare tragedies that people will ask of us in the future, in who knows how many languages, “Do you remember where you were, on that day?”

These pages are about exactly that: the weeks that followed the terrorist attacks of September 11th.

These pages are also a thank you. For additional photographs, please see 13 Days and 13 Months.

Jonathan Corum

That is a wonderful place to spend some time, and get a perspective of what NYC residents had experienced during the days and months after those Twin Towers collapsed.

The photo up top, of the shoe covered in dust is from The September 11 Digital Archive « American Social History Project | Center for Media and Learning

On September 11, 2001, people around the world reacted to the attacks by using the Internet and digital media. This project is dedicated to the collection, preservation, and presentation of the history of that day and its aftermath. The Archive contains more than 150,000 digital items, including more than 40,000 emails and other electronic communications, more than 40,000 first-hand stories, and more than 15,000 digital images. In September 2003, the Library of Congress accepted the Archive into its collections, an event that both ensured the Archive’s long-term preservation and marked the library’s first major digital acquisition.. An unprecedented experiment in digital archival collecting, The September 11 Digital Archive became the Library of Congress‘s first major digital acquisition. The site was produced by ASHP/CML and the Center for History and New Media at George Mason University, with support from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

Visit The September 11 Digital Archive: http://911digitalarchive.org/

Unfortunately, those photos from the Library of Congress are only thumbnail size. You can only see full sized images on the LoC computers…which is really a shame because not everyone can get to Washington, DC.  That is a real disappointment for me at least, I really would have liked to see the images larger than those 190 pixels.

Then there are a few more photos I came across while gathering links for this post:

Liberty Plaza

Liberty Street or Maiden Lane

Downtown Hell

From Time Magazine: 9/11: The Photographs That Moved Them Most – LightBox

Robert Clark—INSTITUTE
Kent Kobersteen, former Director of Photography of National Geographic“The pictures are by Robert Clark, and were shot from the window of his studio in Brooklyn. Others shot the second plane hitting the tower, but I think there are elements in Clark’s photographs that make them special. To me the wider shots not only give context to the tragedy, but also portray the normalcy of the day in every respect except at the Towers. I generally prefer tighter shots, but in this case I think the overall context of Manhattan makes a stronger image. And, the fact that Clark shot the pictures from his studio indicates how the events of 9/11 literally hit home. I find these images very compelling—in fact, whenever I see them they force me to study them in great detail.”
David Surowiecki—Getty Images
Patrick Witty, International Picture Editor of TIME;
former freelance photographer
“After the towers fell, I walked back to my apartment on the Lower East Side, completely in a daze. I had shot black and white film that morning and there was a small lab in the kitchen of my neighbor’s apartment where I could process and scan. When I walked inside, covered in dust and a ripped t-shirt, my neighbors were there and we looked at each other in silence, in disbelief. Another photographer was there who I didn’t know, named David Surowiecki. At the time he was an editor at Getty Images, along with my old roommate Craig Allen. David and Craig were scanning film and transmitting the images from the apartment since Getty’s offices had been evacuated. David’s film from the morning was on a light table near the film dryer in the kitchen. I started looking at his film with a loupe and will never forget the feeling of despair when I saw this one particular image. It was a bizarre and terrifying, yet almost calm image, split down the middle with four tiny bodies falling to the ground. I saw bodies falling when I was near the burning towers, but I didn’t shoot it myself. I couldn’t.

That gallery has 23 images, some of them you may have seen before, but it is good to look at them again. My husband has told me that he saw groups people jumping together. A chain twenty-two people, holding each others hands and choosing to jump to their death. Horrifying.

Here is a link to the  National September 11 Memorial & Museum | World Trade Center Memorial. The website had a live stream of the Memorial service from Ground Zero…hopefully you can catch a recorded video at that link if you missed the live broadcast.

You can find some interactive information here at this link: National September 11 Memorial & Museum

Please join us in commemorating this year’s 9/11 anniversary. This page offers suggestions and tools including a downloadable 2012 Commemoration Planning Guide that provides resources for commemorating in communities, schools, through social media, and as an individual. Should you have any questions, please email us honor911@911memorial.org.

Thank you for helping to honor and remember.

Commemoration Resources

Educational Tools
9/11 FAQ
Interactive Timelines
Introducing the 9/11 Memorial Lesson Plan
Symbols of Remembrance and Reflection Lesson Plan
Creating a Memorial Museum Lesson Plan

I don’t know how I feel about this, but they even have a Museum Shop.

9/11 Memorial Bowtie

See what I mean? I know that net proceeds go towards the museum, but there is something twistedly morbid in wearing a 9/11 memorial bowtie. (Yeah, I just made up my own word there…) Let’s just end this post with some news links that are connected with 9/11.

And thank you for taking time out today to remember and reflect on this…

September 11.

68 Comments on “September 11 Photo Connections”

This is an amazing post, JJ. Thank you for all your hard work. I’m glad your husband’s nightmares have subsided somewhat. I hope that he’ll be able to talk about it eventually. As hard as it is to talk about traumatic experiences, there is empirical evidence that it helps to share them with others–or even just to write about them.

2. janicen says:

As difficult as it is to think about that day, I can’t imagine what it took for you to put this post together, JJ. Thank you. We will always remember.

3. HT says:

JJ very moving post and like BB I hope Dan will eventually be able to talk his way through it. I recall vividly that morning. I was on a conference call (cross border) when I heard background horror. I immediately turned on the news (I worked at home) and watched as the plane flew into the second tower. I could not believe it was happening. To this day, I still cannot believe it happened. The first words out of my mouth, before we agreed to suspend the conference call, were This means war. Little did I know how prophetic my words were.

4. ecocatwoman says:

jj, I can only hope the horror of that day will finally dissipate for your husband and your family. This anniversary each year must be especially troubling for each of you. I applaud your bravery & fortitude.

• RalphB says:

Cheney should STFU about intelligence briefings, considering their own miserable failures!

• HT says:

Good Grief,that is truly incredible, in a really bad way.

• ecocatwoman says:

I can only think that Cheney had advance warning of Eichenwald’s NYT story today. Yes, deflect from his & W’s lack of taking the intelligence briefings seriously & blame for the tragedy. Another Do As I Say, Not As I Do moment – Cheney BLAMES, but Obama is the Blamer in Chief if one believes the Repugs.

Those men did not understand, nor did (or do) they care, about the price of war and the value of human lives. Some responses stick with me. Cheney’s response when an interviewer told him that most Americans no longer supported the war in Iraq. Cheney: “So what?”

5. RalphB says:

Speed Read: 8 Revelations From Kurt Eichenwald’s ‘500 Days’

5. Bush: God wants the U.S. to ‘erase His people’s enemies.’
    After convincing Blair to support U.S. military action against Iraq, Bush turned to French President Jacques Chirac. “Jacques, you and I share a common faith. You’re Roman Catholic, I’m Methodist, but we are both Christians committed to the teachings of the Bible. We share one common Lord.” Chirac said he didn’t know where Bush was going with this. Then Bush said, “Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East. Biblical prophecies are being fulfilled. This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase His people’s enemies before a new age begins.” Chirac said he hung up called together his staff. “He said, ‘Gog and Magog.’ Do any of you know what he is talking about?” Nobody knew. “Find out.”

All of the revelations are interesting but that one stands out as being particularly batshit insane.

• janicen says:

Wow. That’s as crazy as the Bob Marshall speech I posted in the post below. You just can’t hide the crazy for long. We have to drive these lunatics out of our government.

If you ever here any one call them self a ‘born again’ … run away as fast as possible. That’s my suggestion. Unfortunately, Chirac didn’t have that luxury. No wonder the Europeans think we’re mostly nuts here when we elect nuts.

• ecocatwoman says:

My sophomore year (1969/70) roommate was a born again. That’s before they got really weird. But I attended a Billy Graham revival at the Citrus Bowl with her family. Special guest – gay hater Anita Bryant. And, Graham asked everyone who’d been baptized to raise their hands. I didn’t, although I’d been baptized. The lady behind me touched my shoulder & said jesus loves you. That was “so special.”

6. RalphB says:

Looks like the Dems can play hardball lately.

TPM: House GOP Backs Off Spending Demands To Prevent Government Shutdown

House Republicans have dropped their demands to cut spending on domestic programs, for the time being, and instead unveiled bipartisan legislation to keep the government funded through the end of the year at previously-agreed-upon levels.

The legislation, introduced this week by House Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Rogers (R-KY), represents a shift in the GOP’s posture since taking over the House in January 2011. They have routinely used must-pass bills as a vehicle to advance budgetary goals, risking multiple government shutdowns and even a U.S. default.

But with the election less than two months away, Republicans recognize that touching off another showdown would be too politically dangerous. Senate Democrats have insisted for months that Republicans honor funding levels they agreed to in last year’s debt limit deal and have made clear they won’t budge from those numbers.

• ecocatwoman says:

Time to push the jobs bill through. Obama & the Dems have the Repugs over a barrel. PUSH – PUSH – PUSH. How much will more obstructionism help Romney & other Repugs get elected/reelected?

• RalphB says:

Getting anything through without huge pressure will be awful hard. They had to do this, or something like it, to prevent a shutdown before the election. Dems didn’t blink, so they did.

7. pdgrey says:

This is the party who is “all about small business”. And I thought I could be “hateful”. he he

8. RalphB says:

I find this kind of polling fascinating but it’s depressing that so many people cling to their old stereotypes. Neither Obama nor Romney come off too well with this group.

Southern whites troubled by Romney’s wealth, religion

• pdgrey says:

I find it depressing, too and I’m more tired now!

“Reuters/Ipsos polling data compiled over the past several months shows that, across the Bible Belt, 38 percent of these voters said they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who is “very wealthy” than one who isn’t. This is well above the 20 percent who said they would be less likely to vote for an African-American.”

That is fascinating. I actually find it somewhat encouraging that the woman mentioned in the first paragraph would rather vote for Obama even though she thinks he’s a Muslim rather than vote for an out-of-touch rich man.

That is horrible. The judge was clearly a racist. The case is going to the state Supreme Court soon. Let’s hope those judges are more interested in justice.

this must have been difficult to write but it is a heart-full tribute.

10. RalphB says:

In a remarkable show of common sense, Rasmussen finds people trust Obama more than Romney on job creation.

Job Creation? 47% Trust Obama, 45% Romney

11. RalphB says:

OMG, comparing the U3 in Jan, 2009 to the U6 now does make Obama look bad. What a load of bullshit! Fox is so trustworthy.

Fox News Flubs Statistics To Make Obama’s Economic Record Look Horrible

Both campaigns agreed to suspend political attacks for today, but Romney spoke to a National Guard event and attacked Obama on the defense cuts that Ryan proposed and voted for. I heard it on MSNBC.

13. ecocatwoman says:

A friend sent me this link from HuffPo: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-graham/911-saudi-arabia_b_1868863.html?utm_hp_ref=email_share Bob Graham is a good man & if he says there is something there, I believe him. Oil trumps truth. What a surprise!

14. ecocatwoman says:

I know this is OT, but it is such a wonderful tribute to a very special friend: http://www.holycowvegan.net/2012/09/lucy-no-more.html Shedding many, many tears right now.

• pdgrey says:

ecocatwoman, my cocker spaniel named Lucy just died from lymphoma. Me and her best friend Ricky, my other cocker spaniel miss her dearly. What a sad story and I feel so bad for them.

• ecocatwoman says:

Sad, but it also made me smile. I am so very sorry to hear about your own Lucy. I lost my crazy, way too smart pitty mix, Cordelia, to lymphoma earlier this year. However, I can’t imagine not having had her in my life. She was a real pistol & so funny & ornery. What a personality.
        ((((HUGS))))

• pdgrey says:

Thanks, ecocatwoman, so sorry to hear about your loss too, Cordelia what a pretty name. Reading about your friend’s loss and the similar history, rescue, named after Lucile Ball and Desi Arnez. It was heartfelt. I rescued Lucy first and then Ricky, he came from Miami, Fl. Lucy the redhead, Ricky black hair.

• pdgrey says:

I’ve been to Crystal Springs State Park and I can’t remember the address of the rescue place, 10 years ago, but it was in North Miami. I made a personal video, Lucy and I walked thru my house showing the wonderful home Ricky would have. It was the only way they would let a dog be adopted out of South Florida. I guess we passed!

• pdgrey says:

ecocatwoman, you’re right it was Blue Spring Park I googled it too, and I guess I just remembered it that way. I used to snorkel there(15 years ago).

15. RalphB says:

Beltway Bob Jr. has a point. The CW is wrong this time, as usual.

Ezra Klein: The economy (slightly) favors Obama, not Romney

16. pdgrey says:

I wanted to bring this up because there are Fl voters here. As far as I have been able to find out the Fl 2012 ballot will be at least 15 pages long. Stacked with shitty, written out in language a lawyer could not understand in full. 11 Amendments that I think will slow down the time to vote and all evil even though some sound, on first reading, like “the right thing to do”. Most of these amendments will kill revenue at a local level. I wanted to put up this links.

17. RSM says:

On a lighter note, check out the accompanying photo to an article on Morning Joe in Vanity Fair. (Click here.) Believe it or not, Mika Brzezinski frequently complains on TV about how she’s not taken as seriously as male journalists.