DNC Live Blog 2: Big Dawg, Elizabeth Warren, and the Roll Call Vote

Hi Everyone!  Here’s a fresh thread for the big prime time speeches and the roll call vote. Bloomberg published some excerpts from Bill Clinton’s speech:

“What kind of country do you want to live in?” Clinton will ask, according to excerpts released by Obama’s campaign. “If you want a you’re-on-your-own, winner-take-all society, you should support the Republican ticket. If you want a country of shared prosperity and shared responsibility,” voters should support Obama, he will say.

The president “inherited a deeply damaged economy, put a floor under the crash, began the long hard road to recovery, and laid the foundation for a more modern, more well-balanced economy that will produce millions of good new jobs,” Clinton will say.

Clinton also will talk about the choices he faced during his presidency when Republicans wanted to give tax breaks to companies and the wealthy “to help trickle down” economic benefits and how “it didn’t work then, it’s not going to work now,” Obama campaign manager Jim Messina told reporters today at the convention’s site in Charlotte, North Carolina.

According to Politico, Clinton will ask Americans to give Obama more time to “clean up the GOP mess.”

Bill Clinton will tell delegates at the 2012 Democratic National Convention that Republicans left President Barack Obama “a total mess, he hasn’t finished cleaning it up yet” and that the incumbent president deserves another four years to implement his vision for the country.

In early excerpts of the former president’s remarks, Clinton amplifies on the message Democrats delivered on the first day of the convention Tuesday, describing Obama as a champion of the middle class and Republicans as hostile to the interests of regular people.

MSNBC is saying that President Obama will be in the hall tonight. It’s not known if he’ll go onstage after Clinton’s speech.

104 Comments on “DNC Live Blog 2: Big Dawg, Elizabeth Warren, and the Roll Call Vote”

1. Beata says:

Great pic of Bill and Hill!

Sandra Fluke will speak soon. She seems to be a rising start too. Little did Rush Limbaugh know that when he put her on the front pages, she would behave with such dignity and professionalism that she’d end up speaking at the DNC.

Rachel just said that President Obama has arrived at the hall.

4. HT says:

Beata, thanks for the alert about the new thread. Much appreciated.

5. HT says:

I don’t know who was the mastermind setting up this convention, but so far, they have not had one wrong note – No empty chairs if you will.

6. Fannie says:

HT – those empty chairs are suspect in causing cancer……………DNC has high job safety standards that we can be proud of.

7. HT says:

Michelle in the background talking to people. She really does have class. I wondered before, but no more.

8. Beata says:

GM worker Karen Eusanio talking about the success of the auto bailout. She has a good union job today because of the bailout. She’s from the Youngstown, OH area. Her mother also worked for GM.

9. HT says:

Bob King – UAW President – Unions matter (and he’s so right). He iterated the original reason for Labor Day – no it’s not for the millionaires to pat themselves on the back, it’s for the workers.

Now for former Bain employees.

• HT says:

Cindy Hewitt speaking now. She’s well spoken, clear concise and very impelling.

• Beata says:

She was excellent. I’m impressed by how well these ordinary people are able to speak to a huge national audience. Bravo for them.

But “ordinary” is really not the right word. They aren’t politicans used to the public eye but they are obviously extraordinary individuals.

10. Beata says:

UAW Pres.: Strong unions and collective bargaining built the middle class. The GOP wants to take us back to the days before unions gave working people a voice.

Is this Connie’s friend?

“We don’t need a president who fires steelworkers or says ‘let Detroit go bankrupt.”

Amen to that!

13. Beata says:

One of my heroes, union worker Randy Johnson, talking about how Bain bought a successful small paper company in Marion, Indiana, fired all the workers, and destroyed the company. Marion is a economically-depressed factory town in north-central Indiana. Not much there without the factories.

I like this guy– Rep. Chris Van Hollen.

15. HT says:

Chris Van Hollen – another rising star. “Congressman Ryan, America is literally in your debt” Zinger.

He’s really taking it to Ryan. Can you imagine what it must be like to have to work on the finance committee with him?

• HT says:

I must say, I was faced with many oppositonal people during my years in telecommunications, but honestly, I don’t know if I could resist throttling Ryan had he been on one of my projects. I’ve never been a violent person, but Ryan just frosts my tonsils. Don’t know how Van Hollen can say he originally liked the man.

16. HT says:

Sandra Fluke up now.

17. Beata says:

Sandra Fluke on now.

Sandra Fluke is wearing a gorgeous silver necklace!

• pdgrey says:

She is really good!

• northwestrain says:

Yes that is a great necklace — sort of what I do. Especially the fact that the artist really got to beat (texture) the metal in that necklace. After listening to the GOPigs it is nice to be able to beat metal into something beautiful.

The women’s faces are amazing. We’re not alone in our anger.

She was great. Two standing ovations too.

Costco. I wonder if he heard about Mitt Romney supposedly getting a 3-pack of shirts there. That he ironed himself.

22. HT says:

I think that her speech transcript should be available tomorrow (hope it is). It’s well worth reading. Hopefully there will be a youtube video. Takes me back to the 60’s – and isn’t that sad. Here we are in 2012, and a young woman makes a speech that reminds me of a speech in 1965. There is something seriously wrong.

• Beata says:

We, as women, keep fighting the same damn battles over and over again. When will it end?

• HT says:

We’re easy targets Beata, cause we never fight back. We are our own worst enemies.

• Beata says:

I’m afraid you are right, HT. I think I only fight for my mother. ( Hangs head. )

• HT says:

Don’t hang your head – you’ve lead an exemplary life and standing up for your Mom by yourself, when you are not well is not to be pshawed. YOu’ve done better than fine Beata. You are a heroine. I’m listening to women here and I’m hearing the same rhetoric that I heard 50 years ago, when I chained myself to the fence. Why? We are not the problem, we fought that fight and thought it was won, so we relaxed our vigilance. It’s the generations that came after that dropped the ball. Reminds me of the immortal poem – In Flanders Fields – particularly the last verse.
        Take up our quarrel with the foe:
        To you from failing hands we throw
        The torch; be yours to hold it high.
        If ye break faith with us who die
        We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.
        These latest generations didn’t just break faith with our generation, but all of the women that came before us. That is why we are re-fighting the same battles that we fought, that our mothers and grandmothers fought.

23. Fannie says:

She was fantastic……..she got it all out, and talked loud, and proud. She is the age of the future, look in her direction, she looks good, she’s got it down, and everything is flowing to transform everyone watching her. I’d invest in her everyword………..yeah Sandra.

Here comes Elizabeth.

• HT says:

She looks fabulous and she’s smart as heck. She mentions Hillary in a round about way and the audience goes wild.

That was great. Saying Bill had the good sense to marry “the coolest woman on the planet”

• HT says:

That’s our Hill. She inspires people so much that no one needs to mention her name, just refer to her obliquely. Everyone knows.

25. Beata says:

Elizabeth Warren telling her life story. I didn’t realize what a small-boned powerhouse she is.

Says the system is rigged. Tell it, Sister!

She’s amazing. I can’t for life of me understand why anyone would vote for Scott Brown when they could choose Liz Warren.

Warren was brilliant. What a great speech!

28. Fannie says:

We are ready to answer the call, to go directly to the fight and extend ourselves to win this fight, to contribute to cause of life. It’s Ms. Elizabeth’s time…………..There is still HOPE.

29. Beata says:

Elizabeth Warren:

Says no golden parachute for you, corporate cheats!!!

“We build it together.”

She was a Methodist Sunday school teacher. Quotes Matthew 25:40: “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

30. Beata says:

Big Dawg in the house! Thin but looks better than he has in a long time. Hope his voice holds out.

She doesn’t want to scratch his eyes out anymore.

Who are the real job creators? Democrats!

33. northwestrain says:

Sorry I can’t take this BS —

• HT says:

Then sign off.

It’s OK, NWR. You don’t have to listen. You feel the way you feel and you’re not alone. I admire that you have stuck with us and not with the supposed Hillary supporters who are rooting for the GOP now.

34. Beata says:

Bill praising Michelle. She’s laughing. Looks really beautiful again tonight.

Bill making fun of every successful man is self-made malarkey. “We’re all in this together” is a far better philosophy than “You’re on your own”.

Calling out the GOPers as a party of haters. So true.

35. Beata says:

Talking about how the TP crazies got Lugar defeated because he dared to be willing to work with Obama rather than against him on every issue.

36. Beata says:

Chelsea is glowing. When will she run for office?

37. HT says:

Wow, if Big Dawg could only give some of his charisma to Obama, the election would be a lock.
    Talking about Hillary now. He’s not the only one who appreciates what a magnificent job she’s done.
    Compliments to Michelle and Biden for their support of Veterans and wounded soldiers. He’s hitting all the right buttons.

The GOP are committed to live up to their promises. We just have to make sure people know what they’re planning to do.

Bill Clinton is a national treasure.

39. janicen says:

He’s got the whole room eating out of his hands. They all love him.

40. janicen says:

Oh I just love when he uses Reagan’s words!

He’s explained in a short period of time what Obama has tried to explain for months. Maybe they should just play excerpts from this speech in their ads.

42. HT says:

Good grief, Big Dawg is indefatigable – does he never get tired? I need to go to bed, but I can’t leave while he’s talking. Damn him and his mesmerizing charisma.

43. janicen says:

He might just keep talking until the election. But I love every second of it!

44. Beata says:

Now telling the truth: Much of Medicaid goes to seniors in skilled nursing facilities. Many are at the end of their lives. Not able to be cared for at home. Medicare does not pay for long term care!

45. janicen says:

Hillary is texting Chelsea, “Get Daddy to stop talking.”

I’m going to put up a new thread just in case.

Thank goodness, he finally wrapped it up!

47. Fannie says:

Okay, Clinton, I’m reporting to Obama, where do I show up to go to work?

Come on up to the new thread. This one is way too long.