Live Blog and Open Thread: Republican Convention, Day 2

Romney Ryan and Rand © David Fitzsimmons,The Arizona Star,Romney, Ryan, rand, Republicans, Election 2012

Oh, there is nothing like a Randian man to get your juices flowing, except for maybe a Randian Zombie. My question is this, if your average zombie considers brains the breakfast of champions, what the hell does an Ayn Rand zombie eat? Surely the grey matter of fellow Rand followers can’t provide the proper nutrition for a zombie of Ayn Rand’s caliber.

Perhaps that is why the Ryan zombie prefers the brains of the poor, old, and sick? Eureka, that must be the real motive behind the GOP Rand worshipers pro-life stance! The 99%, its whats for dinner.

Few Items of Note…

Hey, as I was reading through my RSS feeds I found some articles and links that I thought would be of interest to you. I still don’t think I can stomach the RNC tonight. I just don’t think I have the energy to process the hate…so if anyone is able to sit through the crapfest, please drop a comment or two.

From Glenn Greenwald: Correspondence and collusion between the New York Times and the CIA | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Yeah, he is on to something…read the entire post, I will just give you the final kick,

From “All the news that’s fit to print” to “please delete after you read” and cannot “go into detail because it is an intelligence matter”: that’s the gap between the New York Times’s marketed brand and its reality.

On another journalistic topic: Bit by Bit It Takes Shape: Media Evolution for the ‘Post-Truth’ Age – James Fallows – The Atlantic

Over the years, and recently in a few posts this month, I’ve mentioned signs that the mainstream press is adjusting to the realities of “post-truth politics.”

Everyone in the press is happiest, safest-feeling, and most comfortable when in the mode of he-said, she-said. “The president’s critics claim that he was born in Kenya; administration spokesmen deny the charge.” But when significant political players are willing to say things that flat are not true — and when they’re not slowed down by demonstrations of their claims’ falseness — then reporters who stick to he-said, she-said become accessories to deception. This is the problem the Atlantic’s James Bennet discussed in a dispatch from Tampa yesterday, concerning the Republicans’ false-but-endlessly-repeated claim that the Obama administration is coddling welfare recipients by dropping requirements that they work.

My grey matter can’t seem to process this post by Fallows. Maybe y’all can help me out?

Here are the rest of the links I have to share with you, in link dump fashion because I am feeling a little light headed, my blood sugar must be falling. Anyway, think of this as an open thread. After I feed my brain maybe I can tackle that convention down in Tampa…but I am not promising anything.

The 5 Weirdest Bits of the 2012 GOP Platform | Mother Jones

Democratic registration all but dries up since new Florida laws | jacksonville.com

Author Of South Carolina Voter ID Acknowledges Racist Emails

The Two American Flags – Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money

Bank of America hasn’t modified one mortgage since settlement | Suburban Guerrilla

The Short Sale Scam: Most Going to Non-Recourse States that Bar Deficiency Judgments | FDL News Desk

Federal judge to permanently lift Florida voter registration restrictions | The Raw Story

This is an open thread…muthafukkerz! Hee…hee…

Tonight at the RNC, Paul Ryan will be nominated and give his big speech.  The audience will also hear from Mike Huckabee and Condoleezza Rice.  Will Huck go off the reservation and defend Todd Akin?  Wouldn’t that be fun?

89 Comments on “Live Blog and Open Thread: Republican Convention, Day 2”

1. Man, I feel like eating a big fat juicy Goody Goody burger, makes me think of Tampa, my hometown memories.

• Beata says:

Never had a Goody Goody burger but it sounds good!!! Can you tell I’m hungry? 🙂

Hope you are okay, JJ.

2. RalphB says:

Harold Meyerson in the WAPO. Great editorial!

In modern GOP, the old South returns

Just a guess but I think what Fallows may say is that some in the media are stepping up to the challenge of constantly rebutting the post truth Rmoney campaign. For example, a headline in the LA Times today literally said they were “lying” in their ads.

Now I’ll read the Fallows piece 🙂

3. RalphB says:

That article by Ron Fournier in the Atlantic was great. He tears the Romney campaign to shreds on their vicious race baiting.

I just got a call from Kat. She’s keeping her phone going by charging it on her computer. They won’t be able to start getting the power back on until midday tomorrow when the winds die down. She might try to go someplace in the quarter tomorrow where they have electricity, and then she might be able to get on-line for awhile and charge up her computer and phone.

• RalphB says:

Glad she’s doing ok. Looks like the storm is slowly blowing over.

• Beata says:

So glad Dak is safe. I’ve been through ice storms and tornadoes but never a hurricane. Sounds absolutely terrifying.

I went through Gloria when it hit Boston. It supposedly wasn’t that bad by the time it got to us, but a telephone poll fell in front of my house and I had no power for about 5 days. It was awful. I’ve been it plenty of blizzards though. We get really high winds and flooding with nor’easters. I actually landed in Boston for the first time in the midst of a nor’easter with 90 mph winds.

5. RalphB says:

I hope this is right and it will be so long as the media doesn’ chicken out.

TPM: A Critical Juncture

It took a couple weeks of false welfare ads, and a full day at the GOP convention premised on the idea that President Obama believes successful companies are doled out to lucky business owners like heavenly manna. But for all intents and purposes the political press has placed the Romney campaign at a crossroads.

Either it can proceed with these two lines of attack — which, let’s face it, are now the tentpoles holding up his entire campaign — or it can capitulate; not necessarily confess to having done anything out of bounds, but just drop the lines in order to avoid more and more stories about how mendacious the attacks are.

As of yesterday, the campaign seemed pretty content to carry on as it has been. Maybe that’ll change — but whatever Boston decides to do will, I think, have genuinely significant consequences.

If Romney relents, it’s a big deal for both the obvious reason that candidates looks terrible when they backpedal. But also because he’d have to return to old, ineffective themes, or find new and inspiring things to run on, which he pretty clearly doesn’t have.

On the other hand if he ignores all the pushback from the press, the political establishment will be facing something very new: a candidate — not his surrogates or outside supporters, but the top of the ticket — ignoring fact checkers, traditional campaign reporters, and even a few conservatives, all of whom have determined and publicly declared the attacks false.

That effectively pits the media against the Romney campaign in tests of will and influence. And it’s disconcerting to imagine that a determined media might not be able to effectively neutralize a presidential campaign intent on flooding the airwaves with false attacks. But that’s where we might find ourselves in the next couple weeks.

I retitled this post as a Live Blog for the Convention and Open thread.

First up tonight was Mitch McConnell. I muted his remarks. Now the idiot son of Ron Paul is speaking. He wasn’t making any sense to me, so I muted him too.

Tonight Paul Ryan will be nominated and will give the biggest speech of his life. We’ll also hear from Mike Huckabee and Condoleeza Rice.

I’m still kind of tired from last night. I don’t know if I’ll make it to the bitter end, but I’ll try.

• RalphB says:

Rand Paul is an unabashed idiot!!!!!

• Beata says:

Crazed GOP cultists seemed to love them some Aqua Buddha. It was hard to stomach. I muted most of it.

I’m still feeling wiped out from last night, too. I didn’t hold up long enough to watch Frothy Mix, Ann Stepford, or Macy’s newest Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon ( Christie ) .

I plan to watch the Zombie-Eyed Granny Starver tonight as he gives the country a lesson in “Catholic Social Teaching According to Ayn Rand”. Oh, I forgot – he’s running away from St. Ayn as fast as he can these days, isn’t he? Well, he can run, but his long record of Rand worship can’t be hidden. He’s on tape saying she shaped his moral beliefs and philosophy, as BB has posted before. Does it get much uglier than that?

Still, I confess I am drawn to Ryan like a moth to a flame. He’s just so hot. 😉

Yes, don’t you love those college-student outfits and the greasy hair? And the beard stubble? What a cool guy. NOT

7. northwestrain says:

In light of the RNC anti abortion for any reasons what so ever — here’s an article about the inherent racism in the anti abortion states.

8. Boo Radly says:

Thanks for doing this bb!

You’re welcome. JJ wrote the post and included a lot of good links, so I decided not to start a new thread. Maybe JJ will come back if she feels up to it.

• I really have such a bad attitude with this RNC thing. I can’t watch it…not one minute of it. Tonight I have a football game to go to. My daughter is singing the national anthem…so I will miss the Money speech. My thanks and appreciation to you and the rest of the commentators for watching the BS for me.

9. RalphB says:

A bit more from Greg Sargent about Ron Fournier calling out the Romney campaign. It may matter more than most others would have.

Ron Fournier: Romney is playing a racial game

What makes this all noteworthy is who Fournier is. He’s well respected in Washington journalism, having worked as the Associated Press’s Washington correspondent — where he was called on first in many presidential press conferences — before becoming editor in chief of the National Journal Group. Having him come out and explicitly charge the Romney campaign with race-baiting will make this a safer topic among some of the top-shelf commentator and journalist types who might otherwise have shied away from it.

So far the NYT, Washington Post, and LA Time are calling the ads false. Even Politico goes partway to saying that. But Romney may just keep doing it as long as the lies are working. He lies every time he opens his mouth anyway.

John McCain speaking now. I’m not sure if I can listen.

Of course there’s always the chance he’ll make some offhanded remark that is insulting to Romney.

McCain talking about American exceptionalism.

• RalphB says:

Of course, and we’ll have to bomb someone else to keep it I’m sure.

• ANonOMouse says:

McCain needs to retire. He thought Barack should have gone to war in Iran while we were still in Iraq and Afghanistan? The man is WAY ON PAST his prime. I’m sick of these war hawks and if Mitt Romney believes we need to go back to Iraq and continue fighting in Afghanistan while agitating in Iran, he needs to send some of his sons over there to fight. This goddam elist warhawking is nuts.

I just can’t stand looking at that thing in his cheek. I wish he’d get the tumor removed.

I never would have done the protest vote thing if there was any chance he could have carried Massachusetts. But that was a very safe bet.

• RalphB says:

I voted for that warmonger in 2008 as a protest but I’m certainly glad he lost. The number of lives saved because of that is probably huge.

• ANonOMouse says:

Me too Ralph. I cast the only vote I’ve cast for the GOP to vote for McCain, in protest of Obama.To hear McCain basically say he would have intervened in Iran scares the shit out of me. Man I regret that vote with every fiber of my being.

• RalphB says:

Shit, if that old nutbag had his way we would be involved in wars in 5 muslim countries. I’m sure there are some he must have left out of his speech. That’s freakin terrifying.

• ANonOMouse says:

BTW….I have a family member going to Afghanistan next week and another going in November and a 3rd whose deployment schedule has been delayed to the first of the year. I’ve had several family members go to Iraq & Afghanistan, one of those served 3 tours, and we’re all scared to death that we’re going to lose one of our children before this bullshit war is over. Enough folks have given their lives over the GWB admininstration lies.

• Beata says:

I regret the only vote I ever cast for a Republican, too ( a protest vote for McCain in 2008 ) . I think his presidency would have been a disaster. “Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, Iran.” God, what was I thinking?

• ANonOMouse says:

Yep…..Obviously, he would have attacked Iran and gone into Syria had he been POTUS. McCain should know that our Armed Forces, while the best in the world, are over extended. Many of these soldiers have done multiple tours. We should never have gone into Iraq and we should have come out of Afghanistan long ago. If Romney had his way, we would still be in Iraq and we’d be increasing the number of troops in Afghanistan. These guys are all batshit crazy.

• Silent Kate says:

Wow, my sentiments exactly. I did the same thing because I was so mad but he is just crazy. I didn’t hear anything from McCain tonight that sounded remotely sane. I had DDS..Democratic Deranged Syndrome! The Dems let me down and forced me to vote for a crazy man in 2008!

• ANonOMouse says:

LOL!!! We all had of touch of DDS, it took us almost 4 years to get over it.

12. northwestrain says:

BB and other viewers of the farce called the Republican National Convention — here’s another live blog with a bite. Some drinking words as well. BB have a piece of fudge instead.

Tonight I have popcorn and some cookies, but I’m not hungry at the moment.

From the Guardian link:

“I trust Mitt Romney,” says John McCain. Mind you, he thought Sarah Palin would make an excellent president, so there’s that.

• Beata says:

McCain has lost all credibility. It really is time for him to retire.

• ANonOMouse says:

What McCain & Romney’s warmongering position proves is how tone deaf they are. They’re in that echo chamber of FOX & Friends and they don’t even pretend to listen to ordinary Americans. American’s are relieved we’re out of Iraq and glad that we’re decreasing troops in Afghanistan. We’re sick of sending our loved ones to risk their lives and die for the GOP’s sacred cow, their beloved Defense Industry.

• northwestrain says:

yep — you found the bite. . . . grin.

13. Beata says:

Rachel Maddow interviewing Elizabeth Warren on MSNBC now. Ah, sanity in the midst of chaos!

14. RalphB says:

Vermin Supreme Is Not Some Ranting Old Geezer

They actually found a pretty good candidate in Tampa, but he’s an anarchist from Occupy.

It sounds like John Boehner broke down sobbing during Ann Romney’s speech.

Boehner: ‘I was a mess’ during Ann Romney’s speech

• Beata says:

Boner: “I was a mess” = “I was drunk out of my mind”

He’s an embarrassment.

• ANonOMouse says:

Oh hell, Boehner was juiced. He doesn’t shed a tear over the notion of defunding programs that serve the poor and working class, but he cries over Ann Romney? The guy needs to give up the booze.

16. jawbone says:

Hhhmmm…Romney in an interview with Scott Pelley this evening on CBS News said that his first cuts to the Federal budget will be “Obamacare, PBS, Amtrak, support for the arts.”

Maybe PBS and NPR won’t be covering conventions in 4 years if Romney and Ryan have their way — and they’re the only ones covering all evening.

“The right way to balance a budget really has two prongs,” Romney said during a wide-raning interview with Pelley last week. “One is to do those things that encourage the growth of the economy. So, you do things to get small businesses growing and adding– adding jobs. But you also go through and say which of those things that you should take out of the budget that are no longer essential. The easiest for me to knock out is Obamacare. It’s about $100 billion a year. We simply can’t afford it. But there are other subsidies that I think you’re going to find that we take out.”

Asked for specifics, Romney listed “the subsidy for PBS, the subsidy for Amtrak, the subsidy for the National Endowment for the Arts” and “the subsidy for the National Endowment for the Humanities.”

Pressed by Pelley to expand on his answer, Romney also noted changes to how the nation funds Medicaid.

“Let’s keep going,” he said. “$100 billion a year comes by taking Medicaid, which is the health care program for the poor as well as food stamps, and housing vouchers, and sending those back to the states, and growing them at the rate of inflation, or inflation plus 1 percent in the case of Medicaid,” said Romney. “And I think states can do a better job managing those – those efforts – than can the federal government.”

So, if parents don’t have the wherewithal to take their children to arts productions, let them watch junk TV. Like, who needs quality children’s programming?

BTW, I’m pretty sure for Romney PBS covers both TV and radio. Off with their funding!

Maybe, like Gingrich, Romney will recommend sending children of the poor to orphanages. Or they could be adopted by Mormon familes and raised in the faith….

Romney has this kind of sweet, almost silly half smile on is face (it’s pasted on, right?) while talking about these cuts. Yech.

PBS and NPR don’t get that much support from the federal government. But cutting support for Amtrak would be disastrous IMO.

You call that a smile? I call it an entitled smirk.

• ANonOMouse says:

It is a smirk, or as my mother would have called it, “a shitty grin”

• RalphB says:

Block granting Medicaid, food stamps etc and sending money to the states without regulating them would be a hell of a boondoggle. It would probably start a big race to the bottom in benefit cuts while governors used the money for other things.

• jawbone says:

Re: PBS cuts — Yes, Federal support for PBS and public radio have been continually cut, BUT the smaller stations depend heavily on it, especially in areas with lower economic quintile incomes. And without the payments from all stations, NPR news will be have to make cut backs.

Romney does not want people to be informed. IIRC, he also wants to cut aid and grants for higher ed.

And, Ralph, yes — giving control of Medicaid and food stamps monies to the states will lead to those programs being shadows of their current forms. Bad times comin’ if R&R get control.

17. Beata says:

Eric Cantor being interviewed on MSNBC. Cantor asked if there is any chance Paul Ryan won’t be able to connect with women? No, says Cantor, because Ryan is “a family man” .

What a B.S. laugh fest this campaign is.

• northwestrain says:

More of that BroLove!!

Well gee says Cantor — I love the guy — therefore women do too. So there.

18. Silent Kate says:

Gov. Brewer, another crazy Repub. If this is a typical Republican woman I am scared!

19. northwestrain says:

A view from the floor — via the Guardian:

My Guardian colleague Ewen MacAskill is down on the floor at the RNC in Tampa – and he’s deeply unimpressed with tonight’s festivities:

It is one of the most lifeless conventions/conferences I have ever attended. Speaker after speaker at the Republican convention is coming over as flat: not just uninspiring but outright boring. Maybe, Romney has stamped his personality on the convention. The explanation may partly be lack of reaction from the stadium. There are about 1,000 Republicans crammed into the floor space in front of the platform and thousands more filling the seats round about. But there is no energy, no feedback. They are milling about, chatting to one another, generally ignoring the speakers. There is little of the raucous scenes that US conventions are normally associated with, the wild, placard-waving hordes. Maybe they are saving themselves for Paul Ryan or even Romney tomorrow.

We can but hope.

Where is the energy? These folks are the ones who are supposed to go home and make the difference for the Chosen One.

• Beata says:

My take on the GOP convention crowd: There are a lot of people who shouldn’t dance in public.

• jawbone says:

I’ve been trying to figure out whether the site just swallows sound, whether delegates feel a vast chasm between themselves and the speakers, or…just a very dull convention.

Even for the Ryan speech, I could hear more of his humming while waiting for the crowd to quiet down….weird.

20. Beata says:

The Granny Starver is speaking. Well, at least his lips are moving.

• Beata says:

He makes Eddie Haskell seem mature and sincere.

“Hello, Mrs. Cleaver. My, aren’t you looking lovely today.”

He reminds me of Walter Denton (young Richard Crenna) on Our MIss Brooks. Is anyone else old enough to remember that?

Oh man, Ryan is a terrible public speaker! He’s a lot worse than I expected.

Ryan’s voice is breaking like a teenager’s. Is it nerves or does he always sound like that.

• Beata says:

He sounds about 16. An obvious case of arrested development. That tends to happen to Ayn Rand devotees.

I missed a lot of Condoleezza’s speech because I was working on the morning post. Did she talk about mushroom clouds?

He’s repeating the lie about Obama closing the GM plant that closed before Obama was elected.

Ryan isn’t getting a big reaction from the crowd.

25. ANonOMouse says:

His speech is a bunch of one-liners, the same bs he’s touting out on the trail. Here comes the money taken from Medicare lie

Here comes the Medicare lie.

Calling health care an “entitlement.” How so, when people have to buy insurance from giant corporations?

27. Beata says:

Oops, Paul’s mom just fell off the balcony! Was she pushed or did she go voluntarily?

lol What really happened? I’m just listening on the radio. I can’t see anything.

• Beata says:

They keep showing Ryan’s mom cheering in the balcony. Too bad under the Romney/Ryan plan she will have to live out her golden years on an ice floe.

Oh, thanks.

Ryan just quoted Eldridge Cleaver again!

Someone wrote a poetic line for Ryan and he muffed it badly.

29. Beata says:

Nice that Ryan’s mom always used public transportation to get to Madison to earn a college degree after her husband died. How did she pay for her degree? Was it with gummit money?

Paul’s dad was a rich attorney and his grandfather was a millionaire. I doubt if she had to work.

30. Beata says:

Cental Planners = Godless Stalinists

His playlist begins with ACDC and ends with Zepplin? Those are pretty old groups, before Ryan’s time.