Breaking News: Jury Reaches Verdict in John Edwards Trial

Well, the time has come…

Verdict Reached In John Edwards Trial | TPM Livewire

Jurors have reached a verdict in the John Edwards trial, NBC News reports. The verdict is expected to be announced in about 10 minutes. For an overview of the major trial figures, head here.

We will post the verdict shortly…See below for updates!

Here are a few links for you:

Edwards jurors reach verdict on 9th day of deliberations – CNN.com

John Edwards trial verdict – US politics live | World news | guardian.co.uk

John Edwards arrives at the federal courthouse in Greensboro

John Edwards at the federal courthouse for jury deliberations in Greensboro, North Carolina. Photograph: John Adkisson/Reuters

2.50pm:John Edwards verdict: a unanimous verdict has been reached on only one count – count three apparently – of illegal campaign contributions related to John Edwards supporter Bunny Mellon.

It appears that the jury has been sent back to the court jury room for further deliberation on other counts, although Fox News is reporting “Jury deadlocked on most counts”.

What all this means will become clear soon. We hope.

Jury only unanimous on one charge in John Edwards case – This Just In – CNN.com Blogs

[Updated at 2:55 p.m. ET] The prosecution has asked for the jury to go back in the jury room to deliberate. The defense has asked for a mistrial on the remaining counts.

The judge is taking a five minute recess on the matter. The judge has the option to issue an “Allen charge,” which is essentially a request from the court for the jury to go back into deliberations and try again to reach a unanimous verdict on all counts.

46 Comments on “Breaking News: Jury Reaches Verdict in John Edwards Trial”

1. Well, I am not sure exactly what all this means….

• Woman Voter says:

There is justice for the rich and justice for the poor. A jury deliberating the case of a poor man who stole a slice of pizza found him guilty without such forethought given to John Edwards, the poor man’s sentence was 25 to LIFE!

I heard today that John Edwards thinks he can rekindle his political career after all the public forgave Clinton…what an AS@O*(&(! He totally misses the mark and he as others think that some how the public deserves a pathological liar…he lied about an affair, but also lied about a living human being!

If this case goes down, look to millionaires ruling the political landscape giving, alluding the law as they please while us little people follow the rules or ELSE!

• And what was all this stuff about a juror flirting with Edwards? Geez…Female Juror Flirts With John Edwards – ABC News

• Woman Voter says:

Well, if things didn’t look good then a charge of jury misconduct would be put forward by Edwards’ team, and as always Edwards would claim to be innocent.

• Seriously says:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he went back into politics. He could replace Biden as Veep, or he’s got three days to make it here to be put on the Dem. Senate primary ballot.

What rule did he break? It’s not even clear the money was a campaign contribution. If Bunny was upset about it she is the one who should sue, not the taxpayers.

• RalphB says:

BB, the rule he broke was being a scumbag and having the salacious affair then lying to cover it up. The fact is, the rest is some kind of fauxrage on the part of most people for some other unacknowledged reason.

This criminal prosecution was clearly pretty stupid.

• Seriously says:

WV, just so you know, I’m not making light, it genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if he went on to high public office.

There’s rules against that? Yes, he’s a scumbag, but if didn’t lie under oath or launder campaign contributions he’s not especially egregious as scumbags go.

Suspect Elizabeth was the one with the vision for national healthcare that barred the Insurance PTB and Big Pharma at the planning table.

2. John EdwardsJury Deadlocked on Most Counts – ABC News

he John Edwards jury told a federal judge today it had reached a verdict only on one of six campanign-finance charges, sending the courtroom into confusion and opening the door to a mistrial.

Jurors told Judge Catherine Eagles it had reached a unanimous verdict only on Count 3 of the indictment. That charge pertains specifically to more than $700,000 in donations wealthy heiress Rachel “Bunny” Mellon gave Edwards to allegedly cover up an illicit affair and illigimate child.

After the jury informed the judge of its verdict, the judge sent the panel of eight men and four women back to the jury room.

• From the link:

Edwards’ defense team asked the judge to accept verdict on Count 3 and declare mistrial on other charges. The judge is considering the motion.

Doesn’t say whether their verdict was Guilty or Not Guilty on that one count. I’m not in the legal profession; is that wording used to mean a Guilty finding?

• I think what happened is they came back with a verdict on one count and hung on the rest. And the judge told them to go back and deliberate again on those other 5 counts.

• Beata says:

Well, a verdict has been reached on one count, but because the judge sent the jury back to deliberate on the other counts, the judge has not read the verdict publicly on that one count yet. So we don’t know if it is “guilty” or “not guilty”. Anyway, that is my understanding.

4. Woman Voter says:

The prosecution blew it too by giving Rielle Hunter immunity and by not bringing in the IRS on both John Edwards and Rielle Hunter for unreported income…a person can only give 10 gran a year, without consequences.

Can’t the IRS act on its own?

• RalphB says:

They certainly can but won’t since it’s not at all clear WTH went on now.

• Woman Voter says:

One other thing I noted, that no one seems to care about is the elder abuse part of this mess, as Bonny was clearly emotionally pressed into making these big donations. He is no different than some sleaze ball who goes around asking women for checks for their ill mother.

I continue to think that their continues to be two justice system and the RICH win.

Why do you think no one cares?

• mjames says:

What are you talking about? Mellon paid the gift taxes. There is no IRS issue. You may hate the guy, but, please, stick to the facts and the law.

5. Woman Voter says:

I am rather surprised at the people defending John Edwards’ money hiding scheme, yet outraged about Citizens United ruling, do they not see that both are about the RICH having more access and control of the political system? 😯

• northwestrain says:

I’m beginning to think that the critical thinking ability isn’t in most people’s DNA.

As Jon Stewart points out Republicans should have a serious case of Cognitive Dissonance — but they don’t. He illustrated that lesson with with film clip. One guy says –” I got unemployment I got food stamps — nobody helped me.” Well that guy was an actor.

Edwards was right — there are two Americas. He’s not in the 99%.

This is really a political trial — prosecutor is a Republican running for office.

Sex sells. Stupid sex sells even more. Edwards is a stupid p r i c k. . .

Great example for kids — adults who don’t use BC — and then continuing to act real stupid. Sort of like high school all over again — except these “student” are much older.

• Woman Voter says:

Edwards was right — there are two Americas. He’s not in the 99%.

Yes, he has been a 1% for a long time, one reason I left the Edwards campaign in 2008 was something kept ringing wrong.

I certainly didn’t give money for his affair with Hunter.

Who is defending what Edwards did? I haven’t followed this closely, because sordid stories like this tend to turn my stomach.

• mjames says:

Again, what are you talking about? The prosecution was unable to prove any “money hiding scheme” related to his political aspirations. He had no access or control. This prosecution was for his daring to speak for the ordinary guy or gal. Brought by a sleazy Republican and ordained by Chicago Obama. Check out Edwards’ personal injury career before he ran for office. Nothing to do with the 1%. Had the Citizens United ruling come down before Edwards ran for office, there would have been no way in hell even to bring an indictment. What the prosecution charged him with doing is now totally legal. Jeez Louise. He’s a cad. So is every goddam politician in the country, in my book.

It’s a ridiculous prosecution in the first place. If he is found guilty it’s probably going to lead to all kinds of political suits. He’s slime, but I don’t see how they proved criminality.

• janicen says:

I agree, bb. Especially when you have a former Chairman of the FEC testifying that he didn’t feel there was a violation of election law. I’m not defending Edwards, I think he’s a pig, but I think he’s been set up here.

• RalphB says:

Pretty obvious isn’t it?

• Woman Voter says:

I once filed a complaint on a “GIFT” and nailed them with less evidence than they had. There was a public finding, they paid a fine and what ever they EVER do again will have that paper trail behind them. The amount was less than two thousand, but that was not the point, the point was we all have to abide by the campaign laws and these “gifts” soil the political sphere for all of us.

Any hoo…nuff said.

WV,

Sadly, that ship has sailed. There are no rules now since the SCOTUS decided anyone can spend as much as he or she wants to help a candidate. Democracy is dead.

7. janicen says:

According to CBS, Not Guilty on One count, mistrial declared on 5 counts…

What a waste of time and money. Edwards should slink away somewhere and never be seen or heard of again.

• Beata says:

I just listened to Edwards’ live statement after the trial. All I can say is, man, he is good at the sincerity act. Really amazing. Give him an Oscar.

• northwestrain says:

Thanks Beata for the review — yet again I’m glad I don’t have a TV.

I heard part of it, but I had to shut it off. I didn’t want to lose my lunch.

8. pdgrey says:

I agree with posts of BB on this subject. The only thing I can add is I am just sick for his parents. That man, his father, standing behind him, his face, it was unbearable for me to watch is pain.

9. Damn, I go and make dinner…take a shower and the judge declares a mistrial? Now to get caught up. I did see a headline on google about Edwards saying he did a baaaaad….baaaaad, thing.

In other news, Bill Clinton is heading to Wisconsin to help in the recall battle.

Clinton will also be on Piers Morgan’s show tonight with guest interviewer Harvey Weinstein. That should be entertaining.

• Talking about entertaining, I put up an open thread…with a bit of dark humor…as I try to make light of a horrible situation. Well, make that situations…

11. RalphB says:

Speaking of shameless scumbags, Bank of America, which last fall announced plans to lay off 30,000 workers, is about to go on a hiring spree—in the Philippines.

So Long and Thanks for All the Bailouts

Compared to these people, Edwards doesn’t look nearly as bad.

Edwards is/was a scumbag, but he did represent individuals without much power, and go after the weathly callous jerk companies that mistreat employees, customers and patients. He was left of Hillary who was left of Obama in ’07 and early ’08, and so slightly countered the drift to the right. Too bad he couldn’t keep his pants zipped.

Like Ralph, I have much more distaste for BofA and its cronies.