Time for Governor Goodhair to Go

I’m having a difficult time understanding why Rick Perry is still allowed into the debates.  He’s shown himself to be pretty damned ignorant on a lot of things.  Plus, he shoots his mouth off with gusto.   I think you might remember his comments on Fed Chair Bernanke.  Back in August, he implied that the central banker was guilty of treason and was basically “treacherous”.  He’s also had the “oops” moment when he forget which government agencies he’d eliminate.  Then, there were the giddy moments and the sleepy moments. Rick Perry is what we’d call a horse’s patoot where I come from.

Rick Perry’s antics have just gone international. He has truly earned a top place in the annals of stupidity.

Turkey’s foreign ministry condemned Texas Gov. Rick Perry Tuesday for saying that Turkey was a “country that is being ruled by what many would perceive to be Islamic terrorists.”

Perry made the statement during a spirited debated between Republican presidential candidates in South Carolina Monday night.

Most of Turkey was fast asleep during the live broadcast, and Turkish newspapers had already gone to print by the time Perry declared that Turkey had moved “far away from the country I lived in back in the 1970s United States Air Force. That was our ally that worked with us, but today we don’t see that.”

The Texas governor also argued that it was time for Washington to cut foreign aid to Ankara.

A spokesman for Turkey’s foreign ministry fired back Tuesday, accusing Perry of making “baseless and improper claims.”

In a statement e-mailed to CNN, Selcuk Unal said presidential candidates should “be more informed about the world and be more careful their statements.”

Turkey is a member of NATO and as such is our ally. They play a key role in our anti-ballistic missile defense that shields many of our allies from Irani attacks. I just had to love this official Turkish statement.

While the United States recently deployed four Predator drones to Turkey from Iraq to aid Ankara in its fight against the autonomy-seeking Kurdish rebels, Turkey does not receive U.S. foreign aid.

The Turkish statement said Turkey’s leaders were “personalities respected not only in the United States, but in our region and in the world and whose opinions are strongly relied on.”

The Turkish statement said Perry’s low standings in polls were proof that the Republicans in the U.S. do not endorse his opinions.

“Figures who are candidates for positions that require responsibility, such as the U.S. presidency, should be more knowledgeable about the world and exert more care with their statement,” the Turkish statement said.

The Turkish ambassador to Washington, Namik Tan, said: “We do hope this episode in last night’s debate leads to a better informed foreign policy discussion among the Republican Party candidates, one where long-standing allies are treated with respect not disdain.”

All he needs to do is announce that he can see Turkey from his front porch and I’d think this was an SNL skit.

26 Comments on “Time for Governor Goodhair to Go”

1. The Rock says:

….I’m having a difficult time understanding why Rick Perry is still allowed into the debates. He’s shown himself to be pretty damned ignorant on a lot of things……

This guy is my governor.

We are so f^&%d…..

Hillary 2012

• ralphb says:

He’s only in the race because he shoots his mouth off with such gusto, not in spite of it. He’s the worst governor in my memory and we’ve had some real lulus here in TX.

• The Rock says:

I have no love for him. He fired me from my job here. I shudder at the competency of the people of Texas to keep electing him! I voted for Bill White.

Hillary 2012

• Gregory says:

Certainly worse than Richards. I loved her. Worse than Clements? Worse than W? Worse than White? I don’t know about all of that. And lets be clear. I have voted straight democratic ticket every year except ’08 when I didn’t vote for Obama. Now I’ve never voted for Perry and I am never going to vote for him but to say he has been the worst governor is….well a major stretch of the imagination.

• ralphb says:

Hell yes Perry is worse than Bill Clements in his dreams. W pretty much sucked but couldn’t hold a candle to Perry, largely thanks to a Democratic legislature. Perry is the first Republican governor since the Civil War to have a completely Republican dominated legislature, so yes he’s worse.

One thing I’ve come to realize is that people outside the Austin area really seldom know just how bad our government is because it’s so poorly covered in the state’s media.

2. Allie says:

Honestly – this man is such an embarrassment to himself and the country.

Good post but I have to take exception to, or ask about this:

“They play a key role in our anti-ballistic missile defense that shields many of our allies from Irani attacks.”

What Irani attacks? And considering the source is an AP article – I would take with great skepticism anything they have to say about Iran. It’s frightening to me how our government and the press are doing to Iran the same thing they did to Iraq before invading.

• ralphb says:

The fact that they play a key role isn’t really contentious. I think better wording would be any “potential Irani attacks”, but no one can deny that tensions are ratcheting up for whatever reasons.

Turkey is a long term ally going back to hosting airbases where we launched U2 flights during the Cold War. To call them some kind of Islamist enemy now is horrendous.

• Allie says:

I’m just afraid that it is the U.S. ratcheting up the tensions. Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program but the U.S. government and the media are happy to obscure that fact.

I agree Perry’s an idiot. My 8-year old neighbor probably knows more about foreign affairs than Perry, Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin combined. I betcha Santorum is about as bad.

• quixote says:

I can’t imagine that even Rick Perry is really that stupid. The Repubs seem locked in a game of “You think he’s nuts? I’m wa-a-a-y more nuts! Vote for me!”

But they’re getting into territory where the Department of Homeland Security, or the CIA, or the FBI, or the Joint Chiefs, or all of them!, are going to start calling them up and saying, “We have ways of making you shut up.”

I shall watch their future progress with considerable interest.

• Gregory says:

Quixote, believe it because Perry really is that stupid.

• Gregory says:

I am telling you guys people should never, ever vote for a presidential candidate from Texas. That is, unless the said candidate is me. LOL! Anyway, jokes aside. Perry is a complete and utter joke of a presidential candidate. Anyone who considers voting for that guy needs to apply for social security disability on the grounds of being mentally handicapped.

3. Isn’t Perry still in the race because he still has money in the campaign coffers? Question: if he can spare this much time to run for POTUS, does Texas really need him as governor? If a child missed as much school as he’s missed governing, he/she would be suspended and not allowed to return to school for a specified amount of time.

• ralphb says:

No! Texas does not want him back at all!

Here is livestream coverage of OccupyCongress happening today. I hope …

• Gregory says:

Connie, that is the longstanding joke. The Governor of Texas has virtually NO authority. The Lieutenant governor has all the power and the legislature only meets every other year. The Texas Governor is little more than a figurehead which is why it was so baffling that people voted for W.

• ralphb says:

That’s the way it’s supposed to be and was until Perry had been in office for 4-5 years. He took the considerable appointment power of the governorship and has built himself a nice power base which no governor before has controlled. It’s one of the reasons he can have an outsized effect compared to previous governors. That and the newer taxpayer funded development agencies which he controls and are a prime source of graft and corruption.

4. Have ya’ll seen this on Tennessee Guerilla Women: http://guerillawomentn.blogspot.com/2012/01/sexist-quote-of-day.html ? Not Perry, but coming from the Santorum camp.

5. Completely off topic, but if you need some serenity, check out the livestream manatee cam at Blue Spring State Park in Orange City, FL. Mornings the spring is packed with manatees.

6. B Kilpatrick says:

I’ve got no problem with him shooting his mouth off. If given the choice, I’d rather people who use a bit of inflammatory language to those who use language as a narcotic to keep us from realizing that we’re being sold down the river.

HOWEVER, how in the hell could he not realize that Turkey is one of the more secular countries in the Middle East?

• B Kilpatrick says:

To clarify, I’m not defending people who use their mouth-shooting-off to say unspeakably stupid things.