Late Night Open Thread: TSA and the Holiday Grope Fest!

Hey, just a quick late night open thread…let’s get ready to enjoy a new Holiday Tradition!

h/t to Susie Madrak, this little diddy is just the thing we need, think of it as an appetizer.

Now for the main course, what is it with the TSA and old women?

85-year-old woman may sue TSA after being strip searched at JFK Airport – NY Daily News

Lenore Zimmerman, 85, shows injury she says came during strip search by security at JFK Airport.

ROTHSTEIN, Gary I/ ROTHSTEIN , GARY I FOR THE NEW

An 85-year-old Long Island grandmother says she plans to sue the TSA after a humiliating strip search on Tuesday by agents at JFK Airport.

Lenore Zimmerman, who lives in Long Beach, says she was on her way to a 1 p.m. flight to Fort Lauderdale when security whisked her to a private room and took off her clothes. “I walk with a walker — I really look like a terrorist,” she said sarcastically. “I’m tiny. I weigh 110 pounds, 107 without clothes, and I was strip-searched.”

TSA spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said a review of closed circuit TV footage from the airport shows “proper procedures were followed.”

But Zimmerman, whose hunched back puts her at 4-foot-11, said her ordeal began after her son, Bruce, drove her to the JetBlue terminal for the Florida flight. She lives in warm Coconut Creek during the winter. She checked her bags, waited for a wheelchair and parted ways with her doting son — her only immediate relative.

When Zimmerman reached a security checkpoint, she asked if she could forgo the advanced image technology screening equipment, fearing it might interfere with her defibrillator. She said she normally gets patted down. But this time, she says that two female agents escorted her to a private room and began to remove her clothes.

“I was outraged,” said Zimmerman, a retired receptionist.

As she tried to lift a lightweight walker off her lap, she says, the metal bars banged against her leg and blood trickled from a gash. “My sock was soaked with blood,” she said. “I was bleeding like a pig.” She says the TSA agents showed no sympathy, instead pulling down her pants and asking her to raise her arms. “Why are you doing this?” she said she asked the agents, who did not respond.

The TSA claims the footage does not show any sign of the injury.

“Our screening procedures are conducted in a manner designed to treat all passengers with dignity, respect and courtesy,” Farbstein said.

Zimmerman says a medic arrived to treat her injury. The process took so long that she missed her 1 p.m. flight and had to catch a later one.

I have nothing to add to this post, what can you say about something as crazy and abusive as this?

Okay, now I will leave the desert up to you…this is an open thread, have at it!

14 Comments on “Late Night Open Thread: TSA and the Holiday Grope Fest!”

1. northwestrain says:

TSA = security theater.

Sexual molestation or death rays — unregulated — no independent research.

American airlines files for Chapter 11 — I hope they go out of business.

There are too many stories like this — TSA claims it didn’t happen — but I believe the passengers.

2. HT says:

love the Xmas song – hate what happened to that lady. The main reason I do not travel to your beautiful country anymore is the border crossing. My country is beautiful as well and I do not have to submit to intrusive body checks whilst going from province to province. I wonder if the powers that be thought about minor industries like tourism. I won’t even fly anymore if the flight goes over U.S. airspace and I doubt that I’m the only person who feels this way.

Teenage girl detained by TSA because she has a tiny gun design on the outside of her clutch purse.

The 17-year-old was returning from a holiday trip to Norfolk, Virginia when TSA officers held and questioned her, insisting that the inches-long, hollow, metal decoration posed a security threat.

Gibbs missed her flight home and was re-routed to Orlando, Florida by her carrier, Southwestern airlines. The unexpected change of plans alarmed the girl’s mother, Tami Gibbs, who was already waiting at the airport in Jacksoville. “I was terrified,” she says in the video at Channel 4′s website, “I was on the phone all the way to Orlando, trying to find out what was going on with her.”

The TSA officer in Norfolk told the teenager that she was guilty of a federal offense for attempting to carry the purse on to a plane. After inspecting the bag and finding that the tiny gun was, in fact, a fake, officials ordered Vanessa to check the purse as baggage or surrender it to them.

• Minkoff Minx says:

The usually response, like with the old woman, the 5 year old, the man with the colostomy bag: “proper procedures were followed.”

Let’s face it. These people have nothing better to do than hassle old women and young girls–and little kids. There aren’t any real terrorists trying to get on planes and if there were, these keystone cops couldn’t catch them.

4. Branjor says:

Witty song. From the song – “breast and genitalia center stage”.
    Sounds like:
    Cyclops breast
    One breast
    Middle of your chest.

Now I’m a poet.
    Terrible ordeal. Poor woman. Nobody should have to go through that just to fly. If that’s legit TSA procedure, it is truly wrong and scary.

Scrooge McGingrich is leading in Iowa with 25%, Ron Paul is next and Mitt Romney is third with only 16%. Via Politico breaking news e-mail.

6. ralphb says:

Occupy Austin Christmas carol…