Election Day Results…Open Thread

The polls have closed…or will be closing soon. This is a quick open thread with some of the results:

Ohio voters on track to reject union curbs, early tallies show | Reuters

With 6 percent of the precincts reporting, 64 percent of voters had rejected the law, while 36 percent supported it, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

According to the Ohio Secretary of State’s website, supporters of the union curbs were ahead in only three of the state’s 88 counties.

Ohio’s Republican-dominated assembly passed the law last spring. But it was put on hold after 1.3 million voters signed petitions to put it on the November ballot. The curbs, which were more sweeping than a law passed in Wisconsin, would have eliminated binding arbitration and banned strikes.

Kentucky’s Democratic governor wins re-election | Reuters

More updates in the comments below…

39 Comments on “Election Day Results…Open Thread”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

I’ll let you know what turns out in Mississippi!

2. Fannie says:

19% of votes are in………….waiting.

3. ralphb says:

From CNN website:

RT @FixAaron: Dems have also won state treasurer race in KY. They win 5 of 6 statewide races tonight.

Thanks for the live blog, Minx! I’m very excited about Ohio.

5. quixote says:

I just went to the MS state election site to see what sort of returns were coming in from the counties, and … they don’t have this up-to-the-minute electronic stuff there! Or if they do, I couldn’t find it. Either the Demotion of Incubators from Personhood Amendment is hideously close, or they’re all sipping their mint juleps in Ole Miss and can’t be arsed to count the votes. No results anywhere so far. How about you folks? Anything?

6. Peggy Sue says:

AP called Mississippi: initiative defeated. And Ohio? The unions won this round. So the world is nuts but not ready for a straightjacket. Yet.

• quixote says:

Link? That’s obviously the fastest news site out there. Nobody else has that yet. I want to bookmark it!

And wild whooping and huzzahs re that initiative!

• Peggy Sue says:

Lawrence O’Donnell reported the news. I have it playing in the background. Went down by a sizeable %; same with Ohio. Just heard ME also reinstated same day registration for the state.

7. Fannie says:

Prop. 26 Defeated………in Mississippi…………….Woohoo……

8. ralphb says:

A majority of us are not insane after all. woohoo!

AlterNet AlterNet
    wow BREAKING: State Sen. Russell Pearce, Arizona immigration law mastermind, defeated in recall race huff.to/szFhJw

10. Minkoff Minx says:

Here is an update form Liberia…the runoff election also took place today: Liberia polls marred by boycott and violence – Africa – Al Jazeera English

Polling stations have closed in Liberia after a presidential runoff in which incumbent President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is poised to win a second term after her closest rival boycotted the vote, citing fraud concerns.

“There were no incidents reported from the various polling places and all have already closed at 6pm (18GMT),” Joseph Yassiah, spokesman of the electoral commission, said on Tuesday.

Yassiah said he could not yet comment on the voter turnout, but news agencies had reported earlier that the effect of the boycott by Winston Tubman of the Congress for Democratic Change (CDC) was evident in the visibly reduced voter queues.

11. ralphb says:

To go along with good election news, the Cain campaign appears to be flailing in all directions.

Cain aide wrongly insists they’ve ‘confirmed’ accuser’s son works for POLITICO

WTF!?

I loved when he called Sharon Bielek a “trouble woman.” Oh, and he’s not “an expert on how the brain works.”

• ralphb says:

I followed a memeorandum link to HotAir and allahpundit is tearing the Cain camp a new one over all this. I don’t know who ap is supporting but it’s sure not Hermie!

• Minkoff Minx says:

Speaking of Memeorandum, I just saw this: GOP Rep. Joe Walsh Melts Down, Screams At Constituents: ‘Dont Blame Banks!…I Am Tired Of Hearing That Crap!’ | ThinkProgress

Freshman Rep. Joe Walsh (R-IL) is known for his anti-Obama rhetoric on cable television and his inability to pay his child support payments. But during a recent meeting with constituents in his Chicago-area suburban district, Walsh lost his cool when several attendees asked about why banks have so much power in government. At one point, Walsh even threatened to eject a man who asked Walsh about the revolving door of bank lobbyists infiltrating Congress and financial regulatory agencies.

Walsh at one point screamed, “don’t blame the banks … this pisses me off!” After several constituents accurately pointed out that bank lobbyists occupy key positions within Congress, the SEC, and other oversight bodies that are supposed to supervise bank practices, Walsh began sticking his finger close to his constituent’s faces, yelling, “quiet for a minute or I’ll have to ask you to leave.” The constituent, who had calmly asked his question before being cut-off midway through his sentence, obliged

I must have missed it with all the Cain Fiasco going on…

yeah, and Congressman Dead beat Dad just got an award for supporting families from the Family Research Council. Amazing how brains didn’t explode on that one.

• ralphb says:

OccupyWalsh’sHead seems to be in effect 🙂

That Cain presser was a joke. The must be in melt down mode over there. I can’t wait to see a presser with a room filled with women who this guy harassed. He’s going to loose everything at this rate and I can’t think of a better fate. If I were his wife I think I’d go to the Doctor and have a battery of tests done. The only thing positive about any of this is that she hasn’t been drug out as a physical prop yet.

• ralphb says:

They are probably watching his Fox talk show slip away from him.

On Dead Beat Dad Walsh’s little blowup, I wonder if some republican congressmen aren’t a bit afraid of 2012? Seems to me their constant yelling of NO at any legislation which might help create some jobs is beginning to piss off a lot of regular voters and they can see it. But they can’t do anything for fear of their insane base of tea partiers and whatevers. Might cause a little tension in the ranks?

• ralphb says:

One other think I read in a CNN story, as a throwaway line. Gloria Allred wants Cain to make his statement under oath along with her client. Something tells me she has a hole card hidden away.

12. Minkoff Minx says:

Sunday alcohol sales prove popular with most voters  | ajc.com

Oh, I guess Early doesn’t have to buy his Sunday liquor on Saturday…

Watch Adult Swim Video: Squidbillies

Alcohol on Sunday
    TV-MA | 01:53
    Early’s need for alcohol goes beyond the law.