Evening News Van

Good late afternoon!  So… is everyone staying cool this hot evening? The fickle barometer here in Banjoland is reeking havoc on my arthritic hands.  Damn, sure wish it would rain!

I have some juicy bits for you today, so let’s dig in shall we?

Well someone has chosen to play the race card, can you guess who?  West: Wasserman Schultz And Dems Attack Me Because I’m A Black Conservative (AUDIO) | TPMDC

Rep. Allen West (R-FL) is now making the rounds of the right-wing talk radio circuit, in the wake of his e-mail to DNC Chair and Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL), in which he declared that she has supposedly “proven repeatedly that you are not a Lady, therefore, shall not be afforded due respect from me!” His message for the GOP base: Liberals hate African-American conservatives like him for leaving their “21st-century plantation.”

Uh, no Mr. West. Liberals are not attacking you because you are an African-American conservative, they are attacking you because you are a sexist, misogynistic, asshole. And I hate to bring up generalized GOP characteristics…but it seems to me the people most pissed off about a black man leaving the “21st century plantation” are usually part of that far right wing ideology from which he is trying to get his message to.

Colbert has a great segment on Republicans and their campaign to have only the right people vote…

Vodpod videos no longer available.

Wednesday July 20, 2011
Colbert Report: Voter ID Laws
To safeguard against voter fraud and ensure that only the right people get elected, Republican lawmakers pass laws requiring voters to show government-issued photo IDs.

And so at this point I’ll link to a NYT article about neo-Nazi adoration of Rudolf Hess. Rudolf Hess’s Remains Removed From Grave – NYTimes.com

The bones of Rudolf Hess, Adolf Hitler’s deputy, have been exhumed and disposed of because his grave in the small Bavarian town of Wunsiedel had become a pilgrimage site for neo-Nazis, the town’s mayor said in an interview on Thursday.

Karl-Willi Beck, 56, who has been mayor of Wunsiedel since 2002, said the cemetery administrators removed Hess’s remains and his gravestone early Wednesday.

“It was the right thing to do,” Mr. Beck said.

He added that the bones would be cremated and scattered over a lake, but he gave no other details.

[…]

Hess requested in his will that he be buried in Wunsiedel, a town of 9,600 people where his family had a vacation home. His parents were also buried there. At the time, the supervisors of the graveyard, the local Lutheran Church, did not object, and said the wishes of the deceased could not be ignored, according to the Süddeutsche Zeitung.

Usually those Nazi officers in charge did not have marked graves…in fact, those executed at Nuremberg were cremated and scattered.

Since 1987, Hess’s grave has been treated as a shrine by neo-Nazis, who call Hess a “martyr.” Mr. Beck, the mayor, said that as many as 6,000 to 7,000 neo-Nazis would converge on the town each year around the anniversary of Hess’s death.

It’s a good thing he did not announce the name of the lake Hess’ ashes are being dropped on. Geez, imagine the convergence of neo-nazis if he did let the name leak out…and the Blues Brothers happened to be in the area.

Vodpod videos no longer available.

Susie Madrak had this post up today over at her blog, and I linked to it in the comments. But it was such a damn good one I wanted to bring it to the front page.

Why Does The Corporate Media Ignore the GOP’s Un-American Pledge To Grover Norquist, An Enemy of the Constitution? | Crooks and Liars

Here’s the oath of office each congress member and senator takes:

“I, Joe Blow, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Okay, let’s start with this. They take an oath to “support and defend the constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.” This is from the 14th Amendment:

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.

So thanks to unelected GOP czar Grover Norquist and the oath he insists Republicans sign (235 congressmen and 41 senators from this Congress) under threat of a high-powered primary challenge, the elected members of Congress and the Senate have declared that their pledge to him takes precedence over their obligation to the Constitution and their responsibility to discharge their duties.

Don’t you think that’s a little, well, unAmerican? Not to mention against the very spirit of our constitution?

I’ve seen more profiles of Grover lately, but something important is missing from most of them. You’re supposed to be journalists. You’re supposed to sound alarms, afflict the comfortable. Why aren’t you doing your jobs?

Hell yeah…kick ass!

On the subject of the GOP and the debt ceiling compromise, Boehner: GOP prepared to compromise – TheHill.com

In a news conference at the Capitol, Boehner pressed anew for the GOP’s “cut, cap and balance” plan but also pushed back against conservatives in his caucus who are unwilling to move beyond it.

The Speaker was asked to respond to comments from Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), chairman of the conservative Republican Study Committee, who described the “cut, cap and balance” plan as “the compromise” and signed a pledge opposing other alternatives to raising the $14.3 trillion debt ceiling.

“I’m sure that we’ve got some members who [aren’t willing to compromise], but I do not believe that’s anywhere close to a majority,” Boehner said.

Well, I think before any of these GOP Norquist Pledgees cave in on any compromise, they need to get permission from “the Man” first. Sick bastards.

I will go ahead and end with this: FEC: John Edwards must pay back $2.3 million in campaign funds – latimes.com

“It’s not at all unusual for a campaign to have a discrepancy,” Commissioner Ellen Weintraub said at the Thursday hearing. “It’s just a math problem, and that’s how the math turned out.”

Edwards, who dropped out of the race Jan. 30, 2008, pleaded not guilty to federal criminal charges that he accepted nearly $1 million from two supporters to hide his pregnant mistress while he was seeking the nomination.  A criminal trial is tentatively set to begin in October.

The FEC proceeding was not related to the criminal case. According to the agency’s records, Edwards’ presidential campaign had $2.6 million in cash at the end of June.

The Edwards campaign took in $57 million, including $7.4 million in matching funds and $39.6 million in contributions from individuals. By comparison, Joe Biden’s 2008 presidential campaign took in nearly $13 million, including about $860,000 in matching funds. Biden was ordered to repay about $220,000 to the treasury.

So what are you finding interesting this evening?

28 Comments on “SDB Evening News Reads for 072111: Anti-American Pledges and neo-Nazi Pilgrimages”

I’ve been reading about Rudolf Hess since I saw that article this morning on his grave being razed.

Obama’s big debt ceiling cave:

Caving–it’s what he does.

• Minkoff Minx says:

You know, it has happened so damn much, that I don’t even know if it is technically caving.

If I could think of something witty and funny to call it, I would. But I just pigged out on 2 huge cheeseburgers so my brain has stopped functioning.

Actually, it isn’t caving. It’s pretending to fight and then getting what you wanted in the first place by pretending to cave.

I’m beginning to suspect that Boehner and Obama have a conspiracy going where they’ll pretend to play chicken until the very last minute so the Dems will be afraid to vote against whatever they come up with.

Democrats balk at reported Boehner-Obama deal.

July 21 (Bloomberg) — Democrats reacted angrily to reports that the White House is cutting a deal with House Republicans to boost the U.S. debt ceiling and reduce deficits by about $3 trillion over 10 years without immediate revenue increases.

President Barack Obama’s team has told congressional leaders it is pursuing such a deal, according to two officials familiar with the talks, as the White House and House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio denied one was at hand.

The officials, who described outlines of the plan on condition of anonymity, said congressional leaders were told it would enact spending reductions while calling for a future tax overhaul that could raise $1 trillion in additional revenue.

Obama summoned Democratic leaders from the House and Senate to a White House meeting at 5:30 p.m., a Democratic official said.

4. northwestrain says:

GEE whiz — if you all want some cool weather — drive west. Northwest. The Pacific Ocean works like a huge air conditioner. It rarely gets hot — mama nature puts on the breaks and pumps in the fog.

I suspect that 0bowma has never really had to work legislation through a political house before. Heck I know he hasn’t. He really doesn’t have leadership skills — natural or learned. But he did manage to create the 0bamacrat party which now lives in Chicago. The democrat party died and was buried in May of 2008. obowma is a show horse — not a work horse. He can read speeches — that is if one enjoyed being preached to. UGH!

Ronnie Raygun raised the debt ceiling 18 times and raised taxes 11 times. The tea partiers would have tossed Raygun out. Reagan left the democrat party — or he says the party left him. And now his party has left him behind again. I use Reagan as an example because 0bowma is such a huge fan of that Prez. 0bowma just can’t figure out how to do it — except that I do believe that 0bowma wants to bring on the “shock Doctrine” — which requires killing off the middle class. (Also finding a way to terminate old folks.)

The above numbers & Raygun factoids come for a rather interesting article by Dana Milbank

5. northwestrain says:

Speaking of Neo-Nazis — It appears that Homeland Security is planning a campaign called: “See Something; Say Something.”

So let us pretend that no one who though up this little campaigns is a history major, nor has read anything about how the Nazis came into power and then controlled the German people. Yes — your are correct — the Nazis had a report your neighbors program. Anyone who wasn’t acting like a good Nazi or Nazi supporter was reported. The brownshirts were one group that would break into homes and search book cases for unapproved books. (My neighbors lived through this, and escaped to the US just before WWII began.)

Although I’m sad my neighbors have passed (living well into their 90s) — at the same time they won’t have to live through this repressive history again.

6. Minkoff Minx says:

Lucian Freud, the foremost figurative artist of his generation, dies aged 88 – Telegraph

I love his painting of the Naked Woman on Sofa: Lucian Freud dies at 88

In fact, it looks like my Nana. When she was alive I printed out a copy of it and showed her…she laughed like hell.

I was just asking Dak if she had heard of him and she hadn’t. I clicked on his name on Google because I thought he might be a descendent of Sigmund Freud. I’ve never heard of him, but I should have known you would have.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Lucian Freud, Adept Portraiture Artist, Dies at 88 – NYTimes.com

Mr. Freud, a grandson of Sigmund Freud and a brother of the British television personality Clement Freud, was already an important figure in the small London art world when, in the immediate postwar years, he embarked on a series of portraits that established him as a potent new voice in figurative art.

In paintings like “Girl With Roses” (1947-48) and “Girl With a White Dog” (1951-52), he put the pictorial language of traditional European painting in the service of an anti-romantic, confrontational style of portraiture that stripped bare the sitter’s social facade. Ordinary people — many of them his friends — stared wide-eyed from the canvas, vulnerable to the artist’s ruthless inspection.

Yeah, he was a grandson…I like his later portraits. The one I linked to though is my favorite, actually it is one of my favorite pictures, I still have the copy of it on my fridge next to a few other paintings and drawings of real women.

Manhattan-size chunk of ice is floating toward Newfoundland.

“I’ve seen icebergs before but this was unreal. It looked like something that shouldn’t be there,” the 52-year-old fisherman recently told the Toronto Star from his home in Port Hope Simpson.

He described the ice chunk as a dazzling white, with valleys, brooks, ponds and even seals on it.

Burden told the Star he poured himself a cup of coffee and just stared.

“I’d never seen anything like this. The boat felt very small.”

Hache said there should be no fear of an impending apocalypse.

“Except for navigation I don’t think there will be any threat; it won’t ever go too close to shore,” he said.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Wow, that is something.

8. Minkoff Minx says:

I guess Susie got a response…a weak ass one at that.
    Why the Norquist tax pledge furor matters – PostPartisan – The Washington Post

Norquist wasn’t making some major announcement. He was simply explaining what signing this pledge, which is practically an entry requirement for the House GOP caucus, means. In so doing, he revealed how arbitrary and absurd it really is. The real lesson: Lawmakers should worry more about getting their policy right than about whether or not they are running afoul of some political gimmick.

Still there is no accountability for the fact that Norquist and his pledge are interfering with these politicians ability to do the job for the people they represent…not that these damn GOP idiots would make the best choices anyway.

9. Minkoff Minx says:

Check this out:
    Is There Something Worse than Despicable? | Corrente

I’m running out of words to describe the low-lifes in Washington who continue to outdo themselves when it comes to devising ways to separate us from our money. The latest comes from the Social Security Administration, in conjunction with the Treasury Department.

My neighbor just got her social security check in the mail and asked me to help her figure out the flyer that came with it. The flyer reads, “Be prepared to stop receiving a paper check. All federal benefits will be paid electronically…. Sign up for electronic payments NOW!”
    […]
    …if you don’t like or want electronic payments, too bad! But that’s not the most odious aspect of this new plan. If you click on the “About the Direct Express Card” link, the second paragraph says:

There are no sign-up fees, monthly fees or overdraft charges. No bank account or credit check is required to enroll. Cardholders can make purchases, pay bills and get cash at thousands of ATMs and retail locations.

So far, so good. But here’s the last sentence in that paragraph:

Some fees for optional services may apply.

Oh, some fees — okay! Now scroll down a bit and check out the fine print (which is probably too fine for a lot of older people to read). You’re allowed one (as in ONE!) free ATM cash withdrawal for every payment you receive each month. After that, you will pay 90 cents per withdrawal.

But wait … there’s more. Even the first “free” withdrawal is only free if you use “one of the more than 50,000 surcharge-free network ATMs.” And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. There are other fees for everything from requesting a paper statement (75 cents) to transferring your own money to your own bank account ($1.50).

Despicable? how about Dickwad?

What? I don’t have to pay for my ATM use.

• Branjor says:

ARGHH !! What will they think of next?
      I’ve already figured out what I would do if I was getting social security. I would 1) use my one free withdrawal to withdraw the entire amount of my check and then 2) deposit it in my own savings or checking account and withdraw the money as I pleased.

• northwestrain says:

That does seem to be the only option. I’ll have to check with my husband and see if he’s got that notice. Of course his check is already direct deposit to his usual account. One could become paranoid — making it so easy for the Gov to put money in your account also makes it easy to take money out.

10. Minkoff Minx says:

Anyone get this email? Have you gotten this from the Dems yet? What will you respond? | MyFDL

A “friend” just forwarded this to me. It’s clearly going out to Dems still stupid enough to still be on the mailing list. My furious reaction is printed below.

• northwestrain says:

All dem party mail goes into spam — The theme with the dems is “trust us”. Yea right.

Good response — I hope they read it. The talking point are clear enough that they can be used in individual letters to our congress critters. Any more I’m doubtful that congress critters and Senators even read our mail anymore. The response I’ve gotten back from my Senator and congress critters indicate that they are NOT reading email or snail mail. They simply send out a canned response which often isn’t on the topic of my letter.

My letter to Senator Murray about the farce of that credit card and banking law — her staff responded with an email about the cash for clunkers B.S. Which is pretty typical for the Senators — they can’t be bothered.

The congress critters are a bit better.

11. northwestrain says: