SDB Evening News Reads for 052711

Minx Midget Fancy...remember that phrase...

Good evening, Its Friday!

I guess you can tell that I have a fondness for midgets.  As the picture to the left shows, I often collect images or stories that strike me as funny and I know, totally unpolitically correct…wait, is that a word?  Hey,  if it isn’t it should be…if Palin can do it…why can’t I?

Anyway, this midget fancy, it is not something new, I have always been fascinated with anything connected to Little People.  So if you ever come across anything (pictures or articles) funny or campy that involves a midget, be sure to send it to me… using my special email address:  MinxMidgetFancy@gmail.com

Ah, it is Friday, so today’s reads will be on the easy side. (My little midget rant might have given you a heads up to my  selection of links I have for you today.)

Actually, I have one link that is very disturbing…I will just sandwich it in between the fluff.

Hey, Obama signed that PARTRIOT Act bill with an electric pen.  Somehow I find this ironic…using this kind of technology to sign the extension of a law to spy on American Citizens.  It has a James Bond kind of flare about it.  Or if not James Bond, perhaps Boris and Natasha would be a better description?  That link goes to an episode of Rocky and Bullwinkle: Goof Gas Attack where…

Boris and Natasha plan a goof gas attack on Washington to take it over.

They took a few days to get there by cab and went to the visitor section of US Congress and they then discovered the US was run by politicians arguing and debating the issues and giving speeches. What the politicians say makes no logical sense and seems to be goofy and so Natasha turns to Boris and asks “Boris is what he said, you think he already have some goof gas?” and Boris says “Natasha what he said, that is goof gas!”

NationalJournal.com – How a Bill Becomes a Law with an Autopen – Friday, May 27, 2011

Pete Souza/The White House

President Obama’s signature on the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which he (physically) signed in 2009.

Last night, with President Obama faraway in France and provisions of the Patriot Act set to expire at midnight, the commander-in-chief awakened at 5:45 a.m. and called on his “autopen” to immediately sign the bill into law. The device replicated Obama’s signature and, as a result, the government’s post-9/11 roving wiretap privileges were secured. “It’s an important tool for us to continue dealing with an ongoing terrorist threat,” said Obama, after a meeting with French President Nicolas Sarkozy. So what is this device and how is it legal when constitutionally, the president presumably must sign a bill before it becomes law? Schoolhouse Rock did not cover this.

Jay Wexler, a Boston University law professor who literally wrote a book on the autopen, told ABC News the constitutionality of the autopen was settled in a 2005 Office of Legal Counsel opinion [PDF]

Emptywheel joked about this “robosigning” and offered his own new lyric for Schoolhouse Rock:

“Robo-signing” the PATRIOT Act | Emptywheel

As I joked last night, they’re going to have to add a couple of lines to Schoolhouse Rock to explain to children the magic of the President’s autopen:

I’m just a bill, yes I’m only a bill, thanks to the President using his auto-quill.

I’m off to the White House to wait in a line for the President’s autosign.

As a side note, look at the signature of Obama’s more closely.  There must be some hidden meaning in the way he puts the O so large…it almost encompasses his bama.  I wonder what handwriting experts think of it.

Alright everyone. Take a breath. Here is the disturbing link…we’ll just let it speak for itself.   I decided not to include the image. If you want to see what the Iran Human Rights group is worried about, then click the link to see the picture.

Iran Executions | Iran Hangings | Iran Young Boy Executioner | Mediaite

Reports have been coming in that 11 people were hung in Iran yesterday with five people hung to death in public. However, the group Iran Human Rights has an incredibly disturbing report about the executions. They claim to have a picture that shows a young boy of indeterminate age being used to actually perform one of the public executions.

The picture purports to show the death of Mehdi Faraji, a man convicted of murdering five women. However, in the picture, you can see what appears to be a young boy literally pulling a stool out from underneath Faraji’s feet, sending the man down to his death. An older man seems to be guiding the boys hands.

It seems inappropriate to put this link in a Funny Friday post, but when I saw it in my Google Reader, I had to use it.  I don’t know if this boy is somehow related to one of the five women this man killed…it is definitely an image that stays with you… I will just say take another breath and read on.

Okay…speaking of Moose and Squirrel:

Mooseferatu – NYTimes.com

John Cole has been collecting suggested titles for the Sarah Palin movie. Other entries:

From Within Sight of Russia With Love
John McCain’s a Series of Unfortunate Events

Check it out. That title Krugman uses for his post is hilarious. I also like this one:

Lost in Translation II

Another funny observation from Kevin Drum:  It’s Gonna Be a Long Primary Season | Mother Jones

A recent tweet from Tim Pawlenty:

Seriously? This is the kind of childishness it takes to compete for the tea party vote these days? “Aren’t there any grown-ups left in the GOP?” asks Mark Kleiman.

Well, when your base is glued to the TV watching wrestling and Pawn Stars, what do you expect.

(No offense to those fans of wrestling and Pawn Stars.)

Well, have a fun Friday Evening…and remember my Minx Midget Fancy email…its easy, think of it as a little people version of Cat Fancy or Dog Fancy. (Wink and a smile.)

24 Comments on “SDB Evening News Reads for 052711”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Amazon has come out with a list of

Amazon.com Reveals the Most Well-Read Cities in America
    Cambridge, Mass., tops the list with the most books, magazines and newspapers purchased per capita of any city in the United States

Amazon Media Room:News Release

See if your city is on the list…

2. madamab says:

There is something very apropos about the autopen signing. Obama is so disengaged, he can’t even be bothered to sign the “Patriot Act” himself.

I wonder how many “progressive” bloggers were upset about it? Or did they rationalize that if Obama did it, it must be good?

• Seriously says:

Some of them are lamenting the difference between Candidate Elmer G. O and President O, but many are taking the line that poor idealistic Barack has been brought face-to-face with the realities of a dangerous world and has been forced to adapt to this harsh reality in order to fulfill his responsibilities to protect us.

• paper doll says:

They either say he’s doing some decoder ring under cover stealth strategy…or he’s trapped and duped…which is it?

Now I know why all the White Bread Govs have been dropping out like files:
        Sarah is suppose to run and lose to Obama…whose signature looks like Liberace’s….definitely show biz

• madamab says:

That is disgusting! Ugh. To think I used to actually think these people had the same values I did! Turns out they have NONE.

• Minkoff Minx says:

I think a lot of them just ignored it…I thought it deserved some kind of mention.

3. Minkoff Minx says:

Oooo, I am giddy with delight. The rain and ping pong ball size hail got the pollen and allergy stuff out of the air. And, I could possibly be watching the Lightning get to the Stanley Cup Finals. Boston and Tampa Bay are playing like they both want it. No score yet.

Hope y’all are having a good Friday night!

I’m rooting for the Bruins.

The Casey Anthony jury asked permission to watch it, but the judge said no.

• Minkoff Minx says:

I know you are going for the home team BB. 😉
        That is kind of funny about the jury wanting to see the game and not being allowed. They agree to work on Memorial Day and can’t even get permission to watch the game…bet there are some angry people down in one of those Orlando hotels.

4. Minkoff Minx says:

Y’all know that my home state of Georgia passed one of those immigration laws like Arizona. HB 87 is causing some farmers and Gov. Deal some problems.

Governor asks state to probe farm labor shortages  | ajc.com

State officials confirmed Friday that they have started investigating the scope of Georgia’s agricultural labor shortages following complaints that the state’s new immigration enforcement law is scaring away migrant farmworkers.

Gov. Nathan Deal asked for the investigation Thursday in a letter to Agriculture Commissioner Gary Black. Deal wants Black’s department to survey farmers about the impact Georgia’s immigration law, House Bill 87, is having on their industry and report findings by June 10.

The labor shortages have sent farmers scrambling to find other workers for their fall harvests. Others are making hard choices about leaving some fruits and vegetables to wilt on their fields.

So, these farmers are up the creek…What did those politicians think was going to happen when they passed that bill? These migrant workers have enough problems with the low wages and poor living conditions. You think they want to deal with the additional harassment?

The Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association has estimated the labor shortages afflicting South Georgia counties could put as much as $300 million in crops at risk…farmers (need to) decide whether they should plant less for future harvests.

So farmers will have to plant less going forward.

Jason Berry, the farm manager at Blueberry Farms of Georgia in Baxley, said a third of the 120 workers who were needed to pick highbush blueberries this spring did not show up for work even after the farm offered $50 signing bonuses. The farm also offered weekly $25 bonuses to people just for showing up for work.

50 dollar signing bonus and 25 dollar weekly bonus?

Shows how little these workers make. And how many don’t want to risk being deported and losing what little money they do earn.

5. Outis says:

Hi MM,

On your fascination with little people, here is website with nice tributes to some fascinating people. I’ve linked to the Little Princess, the smallest mature woman ever recorded.

But also look up and watch the video of Schlitze the Pinhead, such an adorable person.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Thanks Outis, I will have to check it out. I remember a Pinhead in the movie Freaks!

I mean no disrespect or anything. It is just a quirky thing I have had fun with since I was a little kid. (Like 3 or 4) I am 4 foot 9 inches tall myself…so maybe that is why I like little people so much.

Anyway, off to check the link 😉

It’s so hot here all of a sudden, I don’t know if I’ll be able to get to sleep.

That was my news flash for tonight. lol

That sounds like a good change.

• Seriously says:

Yeah, I’m starting to get into my “hot weather depression.” lol It’s just…so sticky. In other news, holy cow, I thought for sure if the Bruins didn’t get the karmic smackdown from Tampa, they’d get it from San Jose. Not so much. I’m starting to feel…hopeful. This is never good. 😉

• Minkoff Minx says:

Congrats to you Bruins fans, your going to the Stanley Cup Finals.

• Seriously says:

Thanks! You guys really have much more depth and skill, no doubt you’ll have a great season next year. The Bruins are erratic as hell, but sometimes they just get on these inexplicable lucky streaks.

7. CB says:

Pedantry alert: As my English teacher so marked:

“Clothes are hung, people are hanged.”