John Edwards to be Indicted

The Justice Department will file criminal charges against John Edwards for allegedly violating campaign finance laws while

Edwards and another cover-up

hiding his affair.

Edwards reportedly knows about the plan and is considering his options. He could make a plea arrangement or face a trial, which could be long and costly.

An indictment or a plea bargain could happen within the next two weeks, according to reports.

The Department of Justice plans to argue that two wealthy supporters donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Edwards campaign — money that went to support Rielle Hunter, a videographer Edwards’s campaign with whom Edwards had an affair.  The government will claim the funds were illegal campaign contributions.

Edwards has admitted to fathering a daughter with Hunter.

The government’s case reportedly depends on former Edwards campaign aide Andrew Young who originally said that he was the father of Hunters’s daughter and later accused Edwards of engineering an effort to hide the affair from the public.

James Hill from ABC broke the story.  You can watch the story at this link.

33 Comments on “John Edwards to be Indicted”

1. djmm says:

I hope he does not let the prison door hit him too hard on the way in.

I liked the fact that he was talking about the two Americas (before the crash where many of us lost savings, houses, and jobs)and about the poor. But then came his bad behavior during one of the debates. The other revelations followed — not only the affair, but misuse of campaign funds. Turns out he is an egotistical jerk and likely a criminal. I only feel sorry for his children — all of them.

djmm

If you watch the ABC video they say if he pleads out that he can probably avoid jail but won’t be able to practice law. He’ll spend the rest of his days as a pariah anyway.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Yup, CNN just reported that as well.

He’ll plead, but don’t be too sure about the pariah thing. Nixon came back three times. At the end, he was getting high praise in the media.

2. Woman Voter says:

I am surprised that the supposed ‘videographer cough, cough journalist’ Hunter isn’t being charged or at the very least having to pay taxes on the INCOME she received.

I suppose the the assistant must have received immunity for his cooperation.

They are obviously more interested in making Edwards the cautionary tale here. Too bad his doings with Obama can’t help him now.

• Woman Voter says:

I still think the IRS should contact Rielle Hunter about those taxes she owes for receiving payment for what ever it was she claims to have reported…cough, cough.

I am also, against those candidates that pay their wives six figure salaries, which goes back to their household account…it seems wrong.

• Woman Voter says:

We need more OpenSecrets type orgs.

3. mjames says:

I think this is all payback by Obama – the Chicago way.

Just compare. The banksta crooks get off completely from any responsibility for their blatant robbery of our citizens – no jail, no perp walk, no restitution, no nothing. Crimes committed against all of us. On top of that gross injustice, we give them billions more. With no strings attached.

All that doesn’t bother Obama a bit. After all, he was their darling. No, it’s that now-irrelevant dude who dared to challenge him. This is Obama’s ego at work. And what a disgusting ego it is. I take no pleasure in the utter destruction of another human being – which is what this is.

What does Obama have to be angry with Edwards about? Edwards helped Obama beat up on Hillary in Iowa and NH, and he endorsed Obama. Plus, Obama is very likely responsible for revealing the affair.

• mjames says:

Edwards was an opponent. Did you forget that? A very vocal opponent.

I am talking about how Obama’s ego works. I am not talking about a rational human being. If you ever opposed him, he wants nothing more than to destroy you.

His getting Edwards to back him was partly to make Edwards grovel for a Cabinet position. But that wasn’t enough. You say Obama revealed the affair (which I don’t remember frankly), but, if so, that’s Obama getting even again.

Why is the justice department going after Edwards when we have war criminals, banksta crooks, and telecom eavesdroppers roaming free? You tell me. I’ve stated what makes sense to me. It’s Obama’s ego all the time.

• janicen says:

“…His getting Edwards to back him was partly to make Edwards grovel for a Cabinet position…”

No, as BB said, Edwards helped Obama defeat Clinton. This isn’t about Obama’s ego, this is about the fact that Edwards is a lying, cheating, rich dude who thought he was above the law. Edwards self destructed. To blame this indictment on Obama or anyone else is to lift some of the responsibility off Edwards. He owns this.

• Minkoff Minx says:

I can agree with this statement.

• Fannie says:

Bunch of fugging political losers, and fugging losers as men.

I think Obama knew, and waited to slam him. He knew, and it was to his advantage to keep Edwards in the loop so they both could rip Hillary and Bill………after all he couldn’t tell which Clinton he was running against. And hell, he needed to let everybody know that he turned down big money to become a community organizer, aka, the grant bandit.

It was both them pouncing on Hillary, saying she voted for the war. Yet, all the other men who voted for war was welcome to his inner circle, including Edwards. But not Hillary.

• paper doll says:

Edwards helped Obama beat up on Hillary in Iowa and NH, and he endorsed Obama

Indeed…Edwards run expressely to tag team on Hill for Obama/ Axelrod imo. It was never for real…at best I think he thought
        Hunter and child would be covered up by doing so…he was wrong

• janicen says:

I agree, paper doll. Edwards was willing to settle for Atty General if he helped Obama knock Hillary out of the race. I couldn’t be happier to see him fall.

4. Woman Voter says:

Former US Democratic candidate alleged to have used more than $1m in illegal contributions to conceal affair in 2008

5. Woman Voter says:

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: ARNOLD USED C.H.P. TO COVER UP MULTIPLE SEXUAL LIAISONS WHILE GOVERNOR! http://tiny.cc/8bglv

Schwarzenegger left California broke, and now this story comes out. Do these politicians want to serve or want to serve themselves?

6. Woman Voter says:

BTW love the photo of Edwards…it was always all about him.

7. paper doll says:

I’m no fan of this slug …but I think of this like the part in ” Good-fellas” where Robert De Niro doesn’t want to pay off fellow conspirators…so he just bumps them off…this has to send a chill down the spines of Kerry , Richardson etc…everyone who thought there would be a pay off for supporting Obama.

I didn’t see Edwards as Obama’s opponent in 2008 as soon as I learned Axelrod ran JE campaign before he ran Obama’s …I believe Axelrod had the goods on Edwards , a deal was struck, and Edwards ran in order help bring down Hillary.

But let it be known: there is no honor among thieves. The bankers that shook us down for trillions are fine….when it comes to Bush II Inc war crimes: We have to move on! ….but picayune John Edwards MUST be brought to justice! lol! One of Edwards crimes, perhaps his greatest , is he’s not too big to indict ….now maybe Kerry will quit thinking he’ll get a pay off and stop calling

I agree, paper doll.

• Sima says:

I agree with this analysis too.

For a while, I thought Edwards was the real deal, but then realized I really liked his wife, not him. Now, he makes me sick.

I don’t care so much about the infidelity, I care about the lying, about crafting the whole family man image, all fake.

8. Jadzia says:

I am shedding no tears for John Edwards, quite the opposite. He deserves whatever he gets. That said, our economy — our nation — is falling down around our ears thanks to the criminals running the banks and mortgage companies. It would have been more satisfying to see a few of those folks prosecuted.

• madamab says:

Yes, why is Edwards Priority One for the Obama DOJ? BushCheney, the banksters and so many other world-class criminals are running around free as birds.

I’m actually with mjames on this one. I think that Obama sees Edwards as a potential threat. He’s just removing Johnny from the ballot, like he does with all potential threats.

But I’m not crying for Edwards. He allied himself with Obama…now let him reap the rewards.

9. Linda says:

Yes, I think Obama knew at least as early as the Iowa Caucus, and planned on turning his Wyoming votes.

Now, If Edwards is no threat, why bother? Has this got anything to do with 2012? The timing seems about right. Not that I think Edwards would run, but he might have something to say. I can visualize him doing an Elmer Gantry over fair voting.

• Seriously says:

But would anyone listen or care? He’s a complete joke even to most of his former supporters. If Obama is afraid of him, that makes Obama seem a bit paranoid. Plus, they’re offering him a slap on the wrist, not really going after him very hard. Edwards’ crimes here have been pretty well publicized, if O’s Justice Dept just let him slide completely, that would look like horrible cronyism, and why open themselves up to bad press.