SDB Evening News Reads for 051911

Image by cheshirecatstudios.com

The worst thing about allergies is the sinus headache that makes me feel like an idiot. All that pressure seems to push whatever brain cells I have functioning out of my cranium faster than a GOP politician caves in to the religious nitwits that have taken over the Republican Party.

For commentary on the this, the best reporting of the recent Newt slam fest has to go to Jon Stewart.  When satire is more credible than the reporting from actual news media outlets, you gotta give props (proper respect) to The Daily Show.

Just click the following link for some real analysis of Newt’s latest remarks about his performance on Meet the Press this past Sunday.

Fast Dive – The Daily Show with Jon Stewart – 05/18/11 – Video Clip | Comedy Central

Continued on this link below….

Fast Dive – Sister Souljah Moment – The Daily Show with Jon Stewart – 05/18/11 – Video Clip | Comedy Central

And for some pointed discussion on the Rapture that is forecasted for Saturday…and how it relates to busting through the debt ceiling, check this out:

Debt to America – The Daily Show with Jon Stewart – 05/18/11 – Video Clip | Comedy Central

As I said up top, my mind is not functioning as it should, so pardon my half ass comments on today’s post. Here are some news items that are flying across the wires today…

David Dayen reports on the possible illegal activities of the foreclosure procedures when it comes to the county land records. I really hope something comes of this.

Off Register

Out of the 6,100 documents Thigpen examined, 4,500 showed signature irregularities. The name of one DocX employee, Linda Green, who was acting as a vice president for several major banks, was forged 15 different ways on the Guilford County documents, rendering them invalid. Thigpen’s investigation was one of the first systematic assessments of mortgage document fraud in the entire country, certainly more robust than anything conducted by state and federal regulators.

Here is a link to a discussion about this fraud between Dayen and Madrak…Thorough Look At Just One NC County Found Most Mortgage Docs Were Fraudulent | Crooks and Liars

Dave Dayen and I talked about this Tuesday night on my radio show (click here to listen) and he goes into more detail in this American Prospect article yesterday.

So Gov. Walker and Wisconsin are now following in Indiana’s big f-u to women footsteps.  Wisconsin Votes To End Family Planning Funds

Not satisfied with stripping benefits from state employees, Wisconsin Republicans voted to end about $1 million a year in family planning funding to Planned Parenthood and other health organizations, pushing its war on women and the working class to a frightening new level.

[…]

But the reality of the vote is that by eliminating the state’s only family planning program Wisconsin Republicans have put over 50 health care centers at risk of closing.  That means that low-income women in rural areas will lose access to basic reproductive health care since those services come almost exclusively from organizations like Planned Parenthood.

It also re-enforces a theme consistent among Republicans that women are not to be trusted to make their own health care decisions and need the state to make decisions for them.

It doesn’t stop, does it?

Obama gave his Middle East speech today. Before starting his speech, he gave some credit to the woman who deserves it, Hillary Clinton.

Remarks of President Barack Obama–As Prepared for Delivery–“A Moment of Opportunity” | The White House

I want to thank Hillary Clinton, who has traveled so much these last six months that she is approaching a new landmark – one million frequent flyer miles. I count on Hillary every day, and I believe that she will go down as of the finest Secretaries of State in our nation’s history.

Obama officially came out and supported the 1967 boundaries between Israel and Palestine.

Obama Calls For Mideast Peace Deal Based on Israel’s Pre-1967 Borders – NYTimes.com

NationalJournal.com – Obama Urges Israel and Palestinians to Negotiate on Basis of 1967 Borders – Thursday, May 19, 2011

Let’s see what comes of his position on this…Netanyahu already rejects it:  Netanyahu Objects as Obama Endorses ’67 Borders – NYTimes.com

In other news, Goodwin Lui is out.  Cornyn: Democrats To Blame For Republican Filibuster Of Goodwin Liu | TPMDC

“Now what they want is for any Republican nominee, a nominee of a Republican President, to require 60 votes, whereas a nominee from a Democratic President get 51, and that’s just not fair,” Cornyn said. “So I think the same rules should apply. They basically rewrote the rules, and I’m saying we’ll play by the rules that they wrote.”

It is the first filibuster of a judicial nominee since 2005.

Let’s end with this about the Japanese Earthquake…

2011 9.0 Tohoku-Oki earthquake: Surprising findings about energy distribution over the fault slip and stress accumulation in Japan Trench

Now, a study led by researchers at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), published online in the May 19 issue of Science Express, explains the first large set of observational data from this rare megathrust event.

“This event is the best recorded great earthquake ever,” says Mark Simons, professor of geophysics at Caltech’s Seismological Laboratory and lead author of the study. For scientists working to improve infrastructure and prevent loss of life through better application of seismological data, observations from the event will help inform future research priorities.

[…]

“The Tohoku earthquake was recorded by upwards of 10 times more sensors at near-fault distances than any other earthquake. This will provide a sharper and more robust view of earthquake rupture processes and their effects.”

Cool, innit?

Be sure to post any comments or links you want below.

19 Comments on “SDB Evening News Reads for 051911”

I just restocked my benadryl and allegra. Live Oak tree pollen and crepe myrtles drive me crazy. I know what you mean. Makes me crave the cement jungles of down town.

2. jawbone says:

I think these bat buano Republican governors are letting women everywhere know that it isn’t just abortion they want to stop: It’s contraception which let’s women have control over their reproductive lives.

Hae any polls been done on this aspect of what these Repub Koched-up governors are doing?

• gregoryp says:

Your second sentence is improper as it includes the word “reproductive”. These are right wing religious zealots. They don’t really care about the reproductive aspect so much as they really, really want women to be considered property again.

Bible “literalists” who believe the Earth is 5000 years old, evolution is just a “theory” and Jesus was gung-ho for capital punishment. Therefore, the woman must obey the man at all times, walk 2 steps behind him, wash his feet when they are dusty and just to “submit” to his moral superiority. There is a LOT going on here that people are not really catching on to.

• while I agree it’s about control, I also think the reproductive aspect is not minor. The demographics of America are changing… I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the fetus fetishists are also the ones obsessed with “illegals” taking over their country.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Speaking of illegals:

Immigration crackdown worries Vidalia onion county  | ajc.com

Signs point to an exodus in Vidalia onion country. Fliers on a Mexican storefront advertise free transportation for workers willing to pick jalapenos and banana peppers in Florida and blueberries in the Carolinas. Buying an outbound bus ticket now requires reservations.
          Illegal immigrants and their families who harvest southeast Georgia’s trademarked sweet onions are considering leaving rather than risk deportation in the wake of a law signed by Gov. Nathan Deal targeting illegal workers.

3. jawbone says:

Re: MERS fraud and county Register of Deeds — Lambert is recommending contacting your local register of deeds and making sure they know about this and what the NC register of deeds found.

And how much revenue he’s owed. That is big enough bucks to make it worth their time. Might mean lower property tax increases or keeping teachers and fire and police on the job.

4. The Rock says:

Evening all! Finally have a moment tro post and not just read and run. I love your evening round ups Minx. They are the perfect daily ‘catch-up’ now that my days are a bit more occupied.

Saw a few things when I sat down this evening….

We are so f*&k’d.

“Another one under the bus!” (sung to the tune from ‘Another one bites the dust’

And they don’t like it!!

Finally, where did the transparency component of this administration go? I mean he promised that this would be the mnost transparent government in history…..

Asshat.

Hillary 2012

• Minkoff Minx says:

Oh thanks Rock…I was wondering what readers thought of these weekday evening news reads.

And thanks for those links…off to check em out.

5. Minkoff Minx says:

Okay I must post this link, cause it is so mindboggling:

China warns of ‘urgent problems’ facing Three Gorges dam | World news | The Guardian

This is the part that gets me:

Since the start of construction in 1992 about 16m tonnes of concrete have been poured into the giant barrier across the Yangtze river, creating a reservoir that stretches almost the length of Britain and drives 26 giant turbines.

The size of GB? Damn…check it out, the rest of the article is really interesting.

• The Rock says:

Funny thing is that it seems like just reducing the size of this one dam will solve the problem since they claim that the weight of the water is creating the problem. Maybe if the US had thrown manhatttan project money at the energy-generation problem (like this one politician said. Can’t remember her name though…), we could have helped them AND made some money along the way.

Asshat.

Hillary 2012

• Fannie says:

Jasus, the three gorges dam sounds like it’s been a problem since day one.

• gregoryp says:

You know I once saw some video on some man made disasters and China had a damn break the was reputed to have killed thousands upon thousands of people. Actually, I went looking for the story and found this:

“It took place along the Huai River when in August 1975, the Shimantan and Bangqiao dams suddenly collapsed and drowned 240,000 people.”

I just hope we don’t have a repeat. I have read that the Three Gorges Dam was actually constructed in a place that is absolutely not suitable for dam building and that there was no way the dam would hold up over time.

• Minkoff Minx says:

The thing that amazes me is the size of the reservoir. Imagine a man made “lake” the size of Great Britain. It just seems like such a big gamble…The Chinese gov has to relocate 1.4 million people. (per the article) The sheer size of this project is what gets me thinking of the magnitude if any disaster where to cause the dam to fail.

StateDept StateDept