Friday Nite Lite: Big Stormy Nite

Good Evening

Wow, this is one monster storm front.

You should take a look at the wind map:

The weather will be kicking into gear here in Banjoville later on tonight…so I’ve got to get this posted before we lose power or the internets.

With the passing of Nelson Mandela, there have been tons of cartoons saying goodbye. Too many to post here on the blog…so I will give you a link to look at them all here:

Nelson Mandela Cartoons

And then give you one that I thought was most moving to me.

mandela by Political Cartoonist David Fitzsimmons

141330 600 mandela cartoons

Okay, now in no particular order…just getting this post out as fast as I can…

AAEC – Political Cartoon by Jimmy Margulies

Cartoon by Jimmy Margulies -

Deer Hunter – Political Cartoon by Rob Rogers, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – 12/02/2013

Cartoon by Rob Rogers - Deer Hunter

AAEC – Political Cartoon by Randy Bish, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review – 12/03/2013

Cartoon by Randy Bish -

That one made me laugh like crazy.

Amazon drones vs UPS delivery dudes – Political Cartoon by J.D. Crowe, Alabama Media Group – 12/05/2013

Cartoon by J.D. Crowe - Amazon drones vs UPS delivery dudes

Drone Strike by Political Cartoonist Nate Beeler

141012 600 Drone Strike cartoons

AAEC – Political Cartoon by Pat Bagley, Salt Lake Tribune – 12/05/2013

Cartoon by Pat Bagley -

AAEC – Political Cartoon by Charlie Daniel, Knoxville News Sentinel – 12/05/2013

Cartoon by Charlie Daniel -

Day Workers – Political Cartoon by Rob Rogers, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – 12/06/2013

Cartoon by Rob Rogers - Day Workers

How Rich People Create Jobs – Political Cartoon by Monte Wolverton, Cagle Cartoons, Inc. – 12/06/2013

Cartoon by Monte Wolverton - How Rich People Create Jobs

The Modern Scrooge – Political Cartoon by Bruce Plante, Tulsa World – 12/06/2013

Cartoon by Bruce Plante - The Modern Scrooge

AAEC – Political Cartoon by Kevin Siers, Charlotte Observer – 12/06/2013

Cartoon by Kevin Siers -

Math Problem – Political Cartoon by Mike Keefe, InToon.com – 12/06/2013

Cartoon by Mike Keefe - Math Problem

US Test Scores by Political Cartoonist Adam Zyglis

141284 600 US Test Scores cartoons

Mike Keefe / Cagle Cartoons

NSA eavesdropping by Political Cartoonist Jimmy Margulies

141327 600 NSA eavesdropping cartoons

And…big h/t to Cannonfire: Who needs Dubya’s ugly ass “paint my number” dog paintings when we got Big Dawg’s doodles?

President Clinton Doodled Male Genitalia (We Think) and It Was Glorious – The Wire

Here’s Some New Hacked Presidential Art From The Clinton White House

In other “cartoon” news: Using a cartoon and humor to fight violence against women | Al Jazeera America

Breakthrough, NASCAR, public health, violence against women

A public service announcement produced by human rights group Breakthrough uses humor to urge men to stop other men from abusing or hurting women.Breakthrough

Earlier this week, Boston firefighter Billy Vraibel watched a zippy 30-second animation while buying skates for his three sons at Pure Hockey, a sports store in the center of the working-class city of Medford, Mass. The eye-catching animated spot showed fans at a NASCAR race. As a female beer vendor walks by, a man raises his hand to slap her bottom. After his buddy grabs his hand and shakes his head, bystanders and race car drivers applaud.

The final screen clarifies the message: “#BeThatGuy. Stop violence against women in its tracks.”

The message? Don’t just stand by—step in.

I would say something about the mentality of the NASCAR audience…but anything that gets the message across is a good thing to me.

And finally, you gotta see this: Watch This Incredible LEGO Re-Enactment Of The Famous Mall-Chase Scene From ‘Blues Brothers’

All the Lego stuff with Star Wars and The Ring Trilogy is great, but it does not get me like this one does. I guess it is because I love the Blues Brothers and grew up listening to this soundtrack on my parents 8-track cassette player.

Go ahead and watch the side by side comparison afterwards. Awesome!

This is an open thread.

25 Comments on “Friday Nite Lite: Big Stormy Nite”

1. Have a safe and fun evening. I don’t know about you all, but that cartoon with the granny by JD Crowe reminded me of Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct…

I hope you don’t lose your power. It looks like we are going to get some freezing rain/sleet overnight and maybe some snow. Pat J. could get 6 inches. There is another storm coming, but it looks like that could miss us–I hope so!

Thanks for the cartoons.

2. Beata says:

Great cartoons, JJ.

Everyone in the path of this storm, be careful! We had freezing rain yesterday, then it changed over to snow on top of the ice. It’s been snowing continuously since last night. We must have a foot of snow by now and it’s still coming down. Very unsafe to be out in it. Stay inside if you can!

I’m about to break down and turn the air conditioning on … but that being said. I want to wish every one a merry krampus! You’ll notice I’m being drug by krampus and saint nick with all the other loose women! Loose Women for Every one!!!

I certainly hope to see that Bill O’Reilly covers the much abuse we suffer today. Yes! SkyDancers! There is a serious war on krampus! We must fight the forces that try to make December 6th a nonholiday! Hold on to that European tradition! Don’t let those folks get to you! Celebrate KRAMPUS!!! And don’t forget Festivus! There is definitely a war on Festivus too!!

krampus and st nick

• RalphB says:

We’ve dropped 35 degrees in a day. It’s dropping below freezing here and cold. I’m ready for A/C weather already :-). Festivus forever!

4. RalphB says:

This is a really funny post …

Very cool!

Diffusion tensor imaging, a type of MRI, is a relatively new technique. I’ve heard it described as showing neural networks. In my field we’re interested in what it can tell us about assessment and prognosis of persons with chronic progressive inflammatory or degenerative neuropathology. Some people do really well despite heavy damage on plain MRI, and vice versa. Is it more closely correlated with the integrity or richness of their neural networks? But we don’t yet really know exactly how to interpret the technology in that regard.

The diagrams shown in the linked article are extremely simplified graphics of diffusion tensor imaging. I think I’ll try to track down images of the originals.

The subjects were under age 23. I’m curious what older people’s neural networks look like in comparison with younger.

Also, I have a point of contention with the supposition that hunter males needed to have good mapping and spacial relations skills, but that childrearing women didn’t. In many cultures women did the gathering (bringing in more, but considered less-prestigious food, than the men with the meat). You certainly have to have a good head for directions to find your way to and from the best berry patches, fruit trees, and mushroom patches. All the while carting and feeding the kids, too.

The article didn’t really address that fact that the brain develops structurally based on liffe experiences; therefore some differences are likely based on differential treatment of boys and girls. Nevertheless, there does seem to be a real difference–women do seem to have more communication between the left and right brain hemispheres.

Yes, there does seem to be enough evidence, which other studies indicate, that the patterns are different. It’s hard to present a representative summary of a research study in a few paragraphs. I tend to jump in and point out possible confounds and limitations, yet I don’t want that to imply that at least some of the study’s conclusions aren’t valid.

Apparently drones have been used for a very long time. In fact a young Marilyn Monroe worked in a drone factory.

(Shiver) Predicted 20 tonight, 17 tomorrow night, with temps not getting above freezing during the day both Saturday and Sunday here in Seattle. Not the 40s and drizzle we’re used to! The only good part is it’s sunny during the days. Right now I’m in front of the wood stove with the kitties and a cup of Cranberry Autumn tea.

My favorite is the deer with the assault rifle.

Everybody stay warm and dry.

• RalphB says:

Stay warm Luna. It’s 26 now at my place but cloudy with no rain. 10 miles away they got some ice and snow but it missed me for now :-)

7. Fannie says:

North Korea released Merrill Newman…………………he put himself at risk……….I mean, what a pain.

8. RalphB says:

Dallas-Fort Worth is iced in. The local blog is cool and even has live twitter updates.

WFAA: Winter storm blog: About 4,000 expected to spend the night at D/FW Airport

The freezing rain and sleet has halted across North Texas, but temperatures will keep the accumulation from melting any time soon. Many roads and highways remain dangerous. Saturday’s Children’s Medical Center Holiday Parade and Sunday’s MetroPCS Dallas Marathon have both been scrubbed as a result.

10:22p The traffic backup on southbound Interstate-35 in Denton County still extends for more than 10 miles at this hour.

Some drivers have been stuck in the traffic for almost 10 hours and told to be patient until the interstate is safe enough for travel.

News 8 spoke with one driver, Slade Wilson, live on News 8 at 10. He said he had been in traffic for nine-and-a-half or ten hours and in that time, had moved maybe a quarter-mile.