Wednesday Reads: Another Anniversary, September 11th

3ba1a30c6c4163c5d4fac3001fbe2655Good Morning

Here comes yet another anniversary of September 11th…it is a bad date for my family. Not only does it bring horrible memories of the attack on World Trade Center, and the hours of torture that followed… such painful thoughts flood back into our minds. It also is the day my daughter lost her school friend, Kenny, in a car accident three years ago.

Bad, sad day.

My internet was out most of the day yesterday, in fact it is going off and on while I write this post! I keep getting warnings from WordPress, so I best make this quick.

Little Green Footballs had a thread up and it is a long one, with all sorts of pictures and updates on the 12th Anniversary: 12 Years Later: Remembering 9/11 – Little Green Footballs

The past 10 years have been a near constant reminder of the profound sense of absence. 1WTC (aka the Freedom Tower) has finally recaptured part of the skyline. 1WTC is still under construction but the antenna and external structures are complete. The base and interior work continues.

Construction of the Transit Hub is also underway, and Santiago Calatrava’s design now peeks out above ground as well.

The WTC Transit Hub from Greenwich Street at Vesey

Looking down Greenwich St at the WTC Transit Hub and 3 and 4 WTC

4WTC exterior finished; the building needs interior work, but is in its final form.

Take a look at the link for some info on strange dealings with the Port Authority, and a $10.00 sale agreement gone phfffft….I just thought the pictures were something good to see.

The skyline will never be the same. Neither will our hearts, which are heavy with the loss and supreme sacrifices made on 9/11 by the rescue personnel who bravely rushed up the towers even as people were racing to get out of the towers or gasping as people were forced to jump to their deaths to avoid being burned alive in the fires that racked the towers.

We remember.
Tribute in Light<

Looking up at 1WTC and 7WTC.

More photos of Ground Zero and the rebuilding at the World Trade Center, as taken from 4WTC, which is scheduled to open next year.

The WTC as seen from Hoboken.

I think this image of the Tribute in Light is much better:

The "Tribute in Light" memorial is in remembrance of the events of September 11, 2001, in honor of the citizens who lost their lives in the World Trade Center attacks.  The two towers of light are composed of two banks of high wattage spotlights that point straight up from a lot next to Ground Zero. The ÒTribute in LightÓ memorial was first held in March 2002. This photo was taken from Liberty State Park, New Jersey on September11, 2006, the five year anniversary of 9/11. USAF photo by Denise Gould.

The “Tribute in Light” memorial is in remembrance of the events of September 11, 2001, in honor of the citizens who lost their lives in the World Trade Center attacks. The two towers of light are composed of two banks of high wattage spotlights that point straight up from a lot next to Ground Zero. The ÒTribute in LightÓ memorial was first held in March 2002. This photo was taken from Liberty State Park, New Jersey on September11, 2006, the five year anniversary of 9/11. USAF photo by Denise Gould.

Or my own picture of the towers from August 2000…

WTC

Nah, how about a picture of NYC back a long time ago…in 1933: If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There’d Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

Old New York #66

Lower Manhattan (1933)

Wow…but you know something…it is so sad.

Ugh, it is emotionally draining for me…and since the internet is giving me problems I will go ahead and leave this morning’s post at that. I’ll post something a little later on…until then just use this as an open thread.

About these ads

26 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Another Anniversary, September 11th”

Thanks, JJ. Take care of yourself today. I’ll be thinking of you and your family.

2. Just one more thing…last week here in Banjoville we had a fatal motorcycle wreck on the dam and there was a picture in the paper with the coroner and the sheriff officer covering their noses…like repulsed by the smell.

When my husband saw this, he remarked about how bad the accident must have been because of the body language in the photograph. He went on about how a body smells right after it has been ripped apart. When the insides are plastered all over the pavement…guts and blood and crap. He said when the body is gouged out and opened like that…it smells real bad right away. My mom and I were telling him, “Really? Immediately it smells horrible like that?” Then it hit us…he would know. We forgot what he saw 12 years ago. He saw bodies of jumpers on the pavement. He saw one of them hit the a big lamp post in the plaza. He would have smelled that putrid death of those mangled corpses immediately as they were falling from the buildings when he was dodging the bodies as they jumped from the towers.

My mom and I forgot about his experiences. Damn, how could we?

• Fannie says:

It was a day of horror, the worst day of my life, and I wasn’t even there. Your husband will never forget that smell, I bet he deals with it all the time. I mean he is forced to, it can’t be denied by his mind and body. Hugs to you and your husband, and family.

He supposedly keeps one in his car, because when he was stopped in TX he had one.

• ANonOMouse says:

This is for you ralph, Via JMG……..I knew you’d enjoy this

“We are uniquely situated because we have energy resources, fossil and otherwise, and our own independent electrical grid. Generally speaking, we have made great progress in becoming an independent nation, an ‘island nation’ if you will, and I think we want to continue down that path so that if the rest of the country falls apart, Texas can operate as a stand-alone entity with energy, food, water and roads as if we were a closed-loop system.” – Texas Railroad Commission Chairman Barry Smitherman, who is running for Attorney General.”

I’m curious what his definition of “if the rest of country falls apart” is? A black POTUS? A WOMAN POTUS? A SCOTUS finding that denying gay/lesbians state marriage licenses is unconstitutional, immigration reform with amnesty? . Get your passport ready brother. :-)

Interesting…. Charles Pierce suddenly sees merit in Obama’s Syria policy and–like Bob Cesca yesterday–compares Obama to JFK because they each deliberated carefully before making decisions and weren’t afraid to ignore warmongering advisers.

• RalphB says:

Sorry but Pierce has been infected with a case of ODS ever since Greenwals did his first Snowden story and Charlie swallowed it all whole ever since. Pierce is rapidly on his way to being a bad cliche. See what a few hours can do…

The Case Is Not Made

Pardon me, but the world has tolerated the use of these weapons almost ever since they were banned. The world tolerated the use of these weapons in the 1980′s, when we were playing Iran and Iraq off against each other. I am authentically tired of listening to how horrified we are now.

Sorry, sir, but bull. Also, shit. Given the context you’ve established, anything short of regime change in Syria has to be considered a failure. Unless you’re prepared to remove Assad, your actions have no point. Your strategy has no logic to it.

4. ANonOMouse says:

I can’t even imagine how difficult his memories must be to deal with and how frightening it must have been for you on that day not knowing whether or not he was among the collateral damage.. We all have demons that haunt us in our dreams and in our daily lives, but most of us have nothing like what he experienced. You and your family are in my good thoughts. Peace to you all.

5. RalphB says:

WaPo: To sell Syria, Obama chose political science over scare tactics. That’s a big deal.

Yet, when Obama addressed the nation on Tuesday night to explain his thinking, he barely budged from his case, in all its unsellable complexity. Sure, he did his best to use the language of moral imperative and of strategic interest, but the formulation at the sentence- and paragraph-level was all about using limited military force to uphold international norms of behavior. “The purpose of a strike would be to deter Assad from using chemical weapons and make clear to the world we will not tolerate their use,” he said.

Here’s why that’s a big deal: Obama knows that he could really use a boost in public support for his plan. He surely had to understand that the dry, analytical approach he took last night would not be the best way to generate that boost (and, judging by the insta-polls, it doesn’t seem to have done wonders for public opinion). But he did it anyway, sticking to the unsatisfying truth, going way out of his way to avoid adopting a tactic that presidents have used for years to rally public support for international military action: threat inflation.

Many observers have remarked that Obama’s decision to defer part of the decision on strikes to Congress could signal a surrender of some of the many executive national security powers that the president has accrued since 2001. His speech last night seemed like a similar, and potentially significant, concession: a presidential disavowal of the powerful, but dangerous and often counterproductive, tool of threat-inflation. If that precedent holds, American foreign policy will be better off for it.

The speech was still very persuasive, without bombast.

Climate change may speed up forests’ life cycles http://bit.ly/181iuAg

7. Bebe says she had to deal with some asshole kid in school today who said 9/11 never happened. She says she took care of it…I bet she did, I know she put that jerk in their place. She is her mama’s daughter.

8. RalphB says:

Next thing you know, he’ll have a column on StormFront.

Why Is Glenn Greenwald Promoting an Extreme Right Wing Militia?