Saturday Morning Lite

Syria War Room, by Steve Sack

Syria War Room, by Steve Sack

Good Morning!!

I don’t know about you, but I really missed JJ’s Friday Night Lite post last night, so I thought I’d start out Sky Dancing’s Saturday with some political cartoons. I hope you enjoy these — courtesy of Cagle Post.

A few more on Syria:

NFL Concussion Lawsuit

NFL Concussion Lawsuit, by Bruce Plante

NFL Concussion Lawsuit, by Bruce Plante

Immigration Reform

Immigration Reform, by Mike Lukovich

Immigration Reform, by Mike Lukovich

I hope everyone has a wonderful Labor Day weekend!! And if you’re not out on the beach or doing something else more exciting, please post links to the stories you’re following today in the comment thread.

About these ads

53 Comments on “Saturday Morning Lite”

• janicen says:

Obviously I don’t condone use of chemical weapons, but I’m still struggling with why or what action the US is supposed to take. So we spend a billion or two, lob some missiles, and then what? Isn’t it true that the only effective military strategy has an end game? I’d feel better if this were a UN initiative rather than just the US throwing some money at the problem.

1. RalphB says:

The cartoons hit their mark this morning :-)

This is just revealing secrets for no reason other than to harm the US Intelligence community and perhaps the country.

WaPo; nU.S. spy agencies mounted 231 offensive cyber-operations in 2011, documents show

U.S. intelligence services carried out 231 offensive cyber-operations in 2011, the leading edge of a clandestine campaign that embraces the Internet as a theater of spying, sabotage and war, according to top-secret documents obtained by The Washington Post.

That disclosure, in a classified intelligence budget provided by NSA leaker Edward Snowden, provides new evidence that the Obama administration’s growing ranks of cyberwarriors infiltrate and disrupt foreign computer networks.

None of these recent stories have anything at all to do with whistle-blowing. It’s espionage, pure and simple.

• RalphB says:

If this were the UK, Gellman could probably be prosecuted. Even with the First Amndt, they may fall over a line somewhere. Frankly it is espionage.

• janicen says:

Absolutely agree. It clearly shows that he revealed secret US intelligence tactics and operations used for spying on other countries, aka espionage.

2. RalphB says:

Light reading which might upset GG/Snowden Axis of Dumbass members

Moscow Times: Spying Is a Sovereign Right

Glenn Greenwald tacitly endorses chemical weapons.

• RalphB says:

He’s making damn sure everyone knows he hates the US at least. Loudmouthed bullies like Greenwald are cowards underneath. Note that he set Miranda up at Heathrow, didn’t do it himself.

4. RalphB says:

WTF is up with the Washington Post? Damn!

WaPo: Sex between students and teachers should not be a crime

There is a painfully uncomfortable episode of “Louie” in which the comedian Louis C.K. muses that maybe child molesters wouldn’t kill their victims if the penalty weren’t so severe. Everyone I know who watches the show vividly recalls that scene from 2010 because it conjures such a witches’ cauldron of taboo, disgust and moral outrage, all wrapped around a disturbing kernel of truth. I have similar ambivalence about the case involving former Montana high school teacher Stacey Dean Rambold. Louie concluded his riff with a comment to the effect of “I don’t know what to do with that information.” That may be the case for many of us, but with our legal and moral codes failing us, our society needs to have an uncensored dialogue about the reality of sex in schools.

As protesters decry the leniency of Rambold’s sentence — he will spend 30 days in prison after pleading guilty to raping 14-year-old Cherice Morales, who committed suicide at age 16 — I find myself troubled for the opposite reason. I don’t believe that all sexual conduct between underage students and teachers should necessarily be classified as rape, and I believe that absent extenuating circumstances, consensual sexual activity between teachers and students should not be criminalized.

• Fannie says:

Puke on Betsy and her article to convince the public to allow sex in schools. As if that might prevent killing of victims or their suicides. The idea that she blames our response to the rape of a 14 year old who ended up taking her life, and that the 44 year old teacher was given 30 days time, that somehow we are doing more harm than we do in protecting children, is absolutely insane. Betsy is a writer and lawyer, what the hell school did she go to? And she thinks the judge was accurate in his statements? We have federal laws about sexual exploitation of children, and there is a reason for the child protection act of 1984.

This rapist did exactly what rapist do – he coerces this minor to engage in sexual conduct, whether he used or persuaded, manipulated or induce or enticed her, his intent remains the same, to have sexual intercourse or oral or anal. I believe any parent, or legal guardian or whoever has custody of a minor who allows or approves or assist or encourages a teacher to use this kind of conduct in schools, or out of schools, should also be punished under the laws.

What is it that she doesn’t understand about the definition of MINOR? Unbelievable that she put forth this kind sadistic crap in the Washington Post………..

She’s a sadistic asshole.

What in the heck is her problem? Jesus H. Christ! The girl committed suicide!! He should be charged with manslaughter.

5. RalphB says:

This is smarter than I expected…

Now congresspeople will be forced to stand up and be counted either way.

• RalphB says:
    • List of X says:

This is smart. But then the same Congresspeople who voted to act (or not act, depending on which way the vote goes), will then make claims that they supported exactly the opposite choice than what they voted for. It’s been a pattern with several Republican politicians, like Jeff Flake on guns and Mitch McConnell on Violence Against Women Act.

• janicen says:

Yes. I thought it was brilliant. Their heads are going to spin right off their crooked little necks trying to figure out how to support war without looking like they are supporting the President.

6. RalphB says:
  7. Fannie says:

Ross Perot, billionaire of Texas…………………..donated 1 million to Planned Parenthood……….that’s another good thing to happen.

8. RalphB says:

Why not try this in Damascus for now? Drop packets with Atropine and arabic media on how to treat Sarin victims. Help the civilians deal with exposure to chemical weapons.

We can lower the causality rate from chemical attack with a non violent intervention RIGHT NOW. Win some hearts and minds in the Arab street.

Tim Tebow has been cut by the Patriots. Thank goodness.

Sorry I am so late to the party. My AC went out last night for the second time this week and my compressor is now dead and I am so poor I make a church mouse look like Donald Trump. The first worthless visit took out my house payment. This morning I find out that and AT&T grabbed money from my account to pay for some one else’s phone bill that I lent money to last month so now they owe me twice as much money and its again enough for my house payment and just made a huge downpayment on a new compressor that won’t be installed until Tuesay and I have to come up with MORE then. At least I am not going back to the first rip off company. SO, I am hot sweaty, broke, and feeling very discouraged. That also doesn’t include that I called it quits in my relationship last weekend and was upset enough as it was. Soooo, I am applying for jobs all over the place and thinking I really need to just go some place where I won’t ever be Jindalized on two jobs in a row. I am so underemployed right now it isn’t even funny … so any way, sorry for being Debbie Downer, but it really sucks to be me right now.

That being said, thanks for the great read today BB!! I am so glad I can always count on skydancing for smiles and sanity and good people!!!

• Beata says:

I am so sorry, Dak. I will be holding you in my thoughts and wishing you the very best. Better days are ahead. Keep that in mind and don’t give up.

I have also had some very dark times lately but reaching out to others and asking for help has been a real blessing. Even people I don’t know have gone out of their way to be of assistance. They have provided evidence that the world is not as bleak as it often appears to be. So don’t be afraid to be vulnerable and ask others for what you need now. You might be surprised at the wonderful results. Kindness does exist. Answers can be found. Continue looking.

Peace be with you and all Sky Dancers who experiencing difficult times.

• Beata says:

Two poems that have helped me:

The untold want, by life and land ne’er granted,
        Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
        ~ Walt Whitman

Knowing well that tigers roam these hills,
        Into these tiger hills I venture.
        ~ Traditional Chinese

You don’t sound like Debbie Downer, Dak. I’m sorry you’re going through so much trouble right now, but Beata is right–better times are coming for you. We love you, and don’t be afraid to share your pain.

• Fannie says:

We totally understand – all of us have been drained and stressed out. It is hard to deal with it all when it all hits at once. Things will come to a focus, and you will have your life back and your future.

Get out and walk, or visit someone. The season is changing, I hope you catch a nice breeze.

• RalphB says:

Wow, best thoughts are coming your way. Hang in there and let us know if we can be of assistance.

Thx. I am just really anxious and overwhelmed. Part of my problem is that I never thought I would be this age and in need of a start over. I have no idea what I want other to be rid of this endless stress over things. It just gets to me more than it used to and I am draining what little resources I have …

• RalphB says:

I think I know what you mean but all you can do is try and stay positive, cause it’ll be really great when the stress lifts some. I know what you mean about restarts but, with a good goal, that could also be a positive,

• Beata says:

Yes, I understand what you are feeling, Dak.

Beyond being stressed, I usually feel totally numb with no idea what I want except to stop feeling pain. It’s hard to plan for the future when just getting through today seems so overwhelming. So I try to accomplish one thing a day, even if it is a small thing, and congratulate myself for that. Then I take a nap.

Enlightenment will come. Give yourself time.

Yes. that’s it when my feet are just awful from the eczema that developed over the last few years just standing and walking are a big deal because the pain and bleeding are so bad. But my tendency is to beat my self up … I really need to try to stop that but it is not easy. I am thankful that at least my meditation practice gives me some tools. The nap sounds divine.

Broadcaster David Frost has died of a heart attack at age 74.

12. foxyladi14 says:

I say lets do a Money Bomb for our beloved Dak.
    Email or call every Skydancer you know and let them know. :)

13. foxyladi14 says:

Looking for the Donate button now. Come on gang lets do this. :mrgreen:

14. foxyladi14 says:

Found it over on the right side wasn’t much Dak but remember folks every little bit helps and it does add up.
    Sending Prayers and best wishes. :)