Friday Nite Lite: Dope-A-Max Edition

546d436494f69d9a94d1bd725afbaf8aHey Y’all!

I can’t believe it is Friday! This spring-break week has gone by so fast for me. It could be that it is because I have been asleep for most of it, as most of you know….I had a seizure a while back. The doctor put me on Topamax, which I started to take on Monday.

It is amazing to me just how a small dose of medication can give a person such a wide range of side effects. I am being worked up to a full dose, and the tingling in my fingers and toes is supposed to become less noticeable in the weeks to come…but damn it is freaky!

It feels like my hands and feet have fallen asleep…and no amount of movement will wake them up. Not only that, but my eyes feel as if they are popping out of my head. (That is when I am awake, because this medicine is knocking me out.) Like I said, these side effects are supposed to diminish with time. And to be honest, this is nothing compared to the shit I experienced with Keppra.

Anyway, I take my dope-a-max twice a day, and it really kicks in when I usually write the evening reads post. So for the next couple of weeks I am going to take a break from the weekly evening news round-ups. However, I can’t stop the Friday Nite Lite post, those are my favorite ones of the week. Soooooo, I am writing this post at 6:30 in the morning on Friday, before I take my pill.

Here are your cartoons for the week, I think it is safe to say we all need a laugh tonight!

I am going to start with three from my man Luckovich, he has been on a roll lately and damn if these aren’t fabulous.

4/3 Luckovich cartoon: Last man standing | Mike Luckovich

040313-toon-luckovich-ed

4/4 Luckovich cartoon: Book report | Mike Luckovich

040413-toon-luckovich-ed

4/5 Luckovich cartoon: I object! | Mike Luckovich

040513-toon-luckovich-ed

That one about Dubya’s Library made me laugh like hell!

The rest of these cartoons are in no particular order…hope you enjoy them!

Kim Jong Un War by Political Cartoonist Rick McKee

129722 600 Kim Jong Un War cartoons

Riot!!!!!!

Totally Safe Schools by Political Cartoonist Pat Bagley

129727 600 Totally Safe Schools cartoons

Deadly Weapon

129611 600 Deadly Weapon cartoons

Distinguishing Armed Schools from Prisons by Political Cartoonist Jeff Parker

129661 600 Distinguishing Armed Schools from Prisons cartoons

Ain’t that the truth?

N Koreas Low Tech Threat by Political Cartoonist John Darkow

129720 600 N Koreas Low Tech Threat cartoons

Evacuate Rodman by Political Cartoonist Jeff Koterba

129488 600 Evacuate Rodman cartoons

Yesterday we lost one of the most outstanding film critics ever…Roger Ebert.

Roger Ebert by Political Cartoonist Milt Priggee

129732 600 Roger Ebert cartoons

ROGER EBERT REST IN PEACE by Political Cartoonist Randy Bish

129739 600 ROGER EBERT  REST IN PEACE cartoons

This next cartoon is about a little news item from a couple of weeks ago…Taken For A Ride by Political Cartoonist Tim Campbell

129687 600 Taken For A Ride cartoons

And finally…

Start Me Up by Political Cartoonist Steve Nease

129761 600 Start Me Up cartoons

50 Years of the Rolling Stones? Damn…has it been that long? It’s enough to make a grown man cry…

This is an open thread.

About these ads

14 Comments on “Friday Nite Lite: Dope-A-Max Edition”

1. RalphB says:

Needed the great cartoons today, thanks! Hope you get over your side effects soon and maybe even get well.

The Siskel and Ebert one brought a tear to my eye. Thanks, JJ. Hope you feel better soon!

Will Rachel Maddow dare to mention the president’s budget tonight? Her first story is something about a lock-picking contest. Now that’s a serious issue.

4. Boo Radly says:

Obama OWNS all the continuations of Bu$h Inc. now. The Obama’s now it and they don’t give a fig who doesn’t like it. He can’t lose his ‘job’. But, the other legislators can.

5. Linda C says:

Sorry about the topamax. It is really dope a max. I hope you adjust soon to the effects.

6. Riverbird says:

Thanks for the cartoons! I’m so sorry about the side effects.

7. This is bad: Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant leaks contaminated water — RT News

As many as 120 tons of contaminated water have seeped into the surrounding ground from a compromised tank at Japan’s stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

Though the contaminated water is not expected to reach the sea, as it is located 800 meters inland, Saturday’s incident is yet another reminder to Japan that it will still take decades to fully decommission the facility.

8. ANonOMouse says:

JJ…..Thank you for the great cartoons. I hope you adapt to the Meds soon and that it gives you the result you need. Be safe, be happy and I will keep you in my good thoughts.

Peace,
    Mouse

9. Teresa says:

Longtime lurker, the Dopamax heading REALLY caught my eye. I was a long-time migraineur and the doc wanted to put me on Topamax as a migraine preventative. I read of the horror stories and refused. Thankfully oophorectomy plus stopping the subsequent HRT cured me, aka getting off the hormone rollercoaster, and also off the fake hormones. Why the doc thought I should take a harsh drug like Topamax rather than a trial off the HRT (which arguably I shouldn’t have been taking anyway), one can only cynically guess! I luckily had more sense. I still headaches that I would classify as migraines, but they are very small and often don’t require anything but OTC remedies to treat. It took about 45 years to get to this point so I’m glad.

I only wish you could avoid the Topamax, but seizures are a different problem. I hope you feel better soon. You have my full and complete sympathy.

• So glad you commented Teresa, welcome…I guess the benefits outweigh the side effects in my case. Since I had my last seizure while I was sleeping, there could it was a good thing I happened to be laying down on my side at the time and it would have been dangerous if I was on my back…

There is one side effect I am looking forward too, and that is the weight loss. Ugh, that is one thing I have a huge problem with. As far as the lack of brain function, I think my mental capacity has been going downhill for years. I just hope that once I get up to my full dose of dopamax, I won’t find myself a dribbling zombie mumbling in the corner. ;)

I am glad your migraines were due to hormones and that they are no longer a problem for you. It has been a year since my hysterectomy, and I still get those damn headaches…but what a joy it is to be period free!