Kansas State Rep. Ponka-We Victors

This is such a great story, via Think Progress:

A Native American state representative in Kansas rebuked Secretary of State Kris Kobach, a leader in the anti-immigrant movement, at a hearing yesterday.

“I think it’s funny Mr. Kobach, because when you mention illegal immigrant, I think of all of you,” said State Rep. Ponka-We Victors (D), a member of the Tohono O’odham Nation of Arizona, during a hearing on Wednesday about a state statute that allows children of undocumented immigrants to pay in-state tuition rates at public universities. Her comments drew loud applause from the audience.

From The Topeka Capital-Journal:

Students who have lived in the United States most of their lives got choked up as they described the academic lifeline in-state tuition has provided to improve their lives. A counselor who works with such students in Wichita high schools shed tears as she showed legislators a scrapbook of success stories. Murmurs of unrest were heard in the gallery as one House member asked about the prevalence of illegal immigrants from gangs and drug cartels in American prisons.

But nothing drew a bigger reaction than when Rep. Ponka-We Victors, D-Wichita, wrapped up a series of questions to the bill’s chief proponent, Secretary of State Kris Kobach.

….

Wednesday’s hearing on House Bill 2192 would have repealed a nearly 10-year-old statute that allows students who graduate from Kansas high schools and have lived in Kansas for at least three years to pay in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges, regardless of residency status.

Kobach, a lightning-rod for controversy on immigration issues, told the committee federal law conflicts with that statute.

“U.S. citizens should always come first when it comes to handing out government subsidies,” Kobach said.

kris-kobach-sunflower-cropped-proto-custom_28

Kris Kobach is the architect of the Arizona “papers please” immigration law as well as other anti-immigrant laws around the country. He is also a strong supporter of the extremist Arizona voter registration law that is currently being reviewed by the U.S. Supreme Court. Read more about him at the Mother Jones Link (2012)–and if you have time, check out this 2011 piece at the Southern Poverty Law Center: When Mr. Kobach Comes to Town: Nativist Laws and the Communities They Damage.

Rep. Ponka-We Victors was elected in 2010, and the Indian Country Today Media Network characterizes her as a “political warrior.”

As a young, first-term legislator, Victors, the first American Indian woman elected to the Kansas legislature, garnered state headlines in 2012 when she urged colleagues to reject proposals for strict immigration-enforcement laws during a hearing of the House Federal and State Affairs committee. “Personally,” said Victors, “my people have been fighting immigration since 1492. It doesn’t get any better.”

Read an interview with her at the Indian Country link.

So…. What else is happening out there? Got any feel good stories to share? This is a wide-open thread!

About these ads

21 Comments on “Native American Kansas State Rep. Smacks Down Anti-Immigrant Secretary of State Kris Kobach”

1. ecocatwoman says:

Well, I had to search & go back a few days, but this should make some folks smile: http://www.treehugger.com/ocean-conservation/australian-tv-reporter-rescues-stranded-dolphin.html

I found this one today: Pooch Has Own Seeing Eye Dog; Pair Rescued And Looking For Home

You’ve heard of people who need seeing eye dogs.
    But how about dogs that need other dogs to help them around? Rescuers in L.A. say that’s the case with a pair they’re calling Isaac and Isabella.

The duo, a blind Husky and a small terrier who was guiding him around, were found on Monday….

The duo was scheduled to be checked out by a vet, including an animal ophthalmology specialist, today, rescuers said.

The Husky, we’re told, appears to have glaucoma, but the dog’s condition would likely be confirmed today.

The terrier appeared to be serving as its guide. Rescuers are hoping to get help with vet bills before the pair is put in a good home.

3. purplefinn says:

Thanks for posting on this, BB. Irony can be sweet.

Twitter mocks Saxby Chambliss for his ridiculous remark about gay marriage: “I’m not gay so I’m not going to marry one.”

5. Fannie says:

She’s back, ever since Palin said her rack reach the mountaintop, old Michele Bachmann is itching her racks, and dragging her foot

What you say we have a mock funeral with her money.

6. I have a feel good story to share. I was just searching the web for images of sunflowers and the photo posted above of Kris Kobach came up in the search. It immediately caught my eye and no wonder why, I painted the very sunflower art behind him. “Sunshine Grows in Kansas” by me, Debra Clemente is part of the permanent art collection of the Kansas Governor’s office and last time I knew it was hanging directly behind the private office desk of the Governor too.

No kidding. And you didn’t know the photo had been taken in front of your work? I think I may have snatched that picture from Politico, but I have no idea where they got it.

Anyway, thanks for telling us. Do you happen to have a photo of the entire painting? I’d love to see it. I spent my early childhood in Lawrence, Kansas, and I’m still very partial to sunflowers.

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to see you again.

• Janicen says:

It is lovely! Congratulations! I hope you have a website with prints available.

• janicen says:

OMG I just went to your site! I love your work!

I forgot to try clicking on Deborah’s name. Her art is amazing!

• janicen says:

I know. I want some. I only have stuff that has meaning and this work is not only lovely but it would always remind me of the people I’ve met on this blog.