Wednesday Morning Open Thread

mutoMorning everyone.

I fell down the stairs last night, and have taken some heavy-duty pain medication. I have no idea what Obama said, or what cowboy hat Ted Nugent was wearing…or what shade of orange Boehner was sporting.

It also turns out that my laptop has a problem with the DC Power in plug thingie…and needs a trip over to the repair shop this morning.

So just use this thread to post whatever you like. I will try to write something later this morning.

Have a good day…

About these ads

29 Comments on “Wednesday Morning Open Thread”

1. ANonOMouse says:

Here’s a summary of the GOP’s (Marco Rubio’s) SOTU response

You’re gonna have to SWALLOW HARDER THAN THAT Marco

• janicen says:

Now we know he swallows! :-D

My husband said twitter has exploded with memes and jokes. Apparently there’s a twitter page for the water bottle!

• ANonOMouse says:

LOL!!!!

• ANonOMouse says:

There was just so much bullshit in his mouth he had to swig and swallow hard to get it all down. You can tell he’s a very experienced swallower. :-) Maintaining eye contact with the camera throughtout the grab/swig/swallow/return was the big stumbling block for Marco.

2. ANonOMouse says:

Hope you’re ok JJ

3. ANonOMouse says:

BB……Just wondering if you picked up this sentence from the SOTU?

“And — and the reforms I’m proposing go even further. We’ll reduce taxpayer subsidies to prescription drug companies and ask more from the wealthiest seniors”

The last part of that sentence is essentially means testing. That is exactly what I was expecting to be Obama’s compromise.

4. Pat Johnson says:

Is this “the Savior” of the GOP? Really?

The GOP is under the impression that by featuring good looking, but severely limited, contenders as POTUS material they have achieved a “lock” on the WH. Another exercise in shallow thinking.

“It’s the message, Stupid!” that prevents this party from being taken seriously. Focusing on women’s ladyparts and expecting seniors to “sacrifice” on behalf of the rich is not about to win over the electorate no matter how “appealing” their candidates appear. Plus the fact that this stooge is bilingual is not in itself a winning combination when his woeful appearance is likened to a high school debater. We deserve better than this.

So sorry to hear of your injuries, mink. Feel better.

• RalphB says:

I guess the GOP expects everyone to look upon his tan countenance and just swoon or something. Otherwise, he seems to be a typical winger dumbshit and a crook.

Good looking? It’s a matter of taste, I guess. I think he looks and sounds like a high school kid.

Take care, JJ. I’m so glad you didn’t break anything, but I know it must really hurt. Just rest.

I fell down the (carpeted) stairs years ago, when I was a lot younger. The bruises were awful. I was very lucky though. If it happened now, I’d be in deep doo doo.

• RalphB says:

Hope all is well JJ. I’m afraid if I fell down stairs, I would still be there. Glad I have a single story home.

6. RalphB says:

The Guardians summation of Rubio from their live blog.

In reply to the speech on behalf of Republicans, Marco Rubio called for a balanced budget amendment, said the president had recklessly expanded the debt and accused the president of “falsely attacking [the] motives” of his critics. He took an unscripted drink of water.

7. Pat Johnson says:

Speaking of pc’s, I just spent over $200 to have mine cleaned before it “crashed”. Spent an hour online with 3 different guys from New Delhi (or somewhere) just for the ability to “communicate” and be part of the global community.

This stuff is a racket but leaves most of us little choice because it is as close to “car repair” as one can get since most of us have no idea what is under the engine or what is inside the pc.

Unbelievable!

8. RalphB says:

Mario Rubio’s $675,000 home for sale in west Miami, since they say he’s moving to DC:

nice and middle class I’m sure.

9. RalphB says:

The gist from the Morning Shows: Obama is laying a devious trap for Republicans by embracing a raft of policies the public widely supports. h/t Josh Marshall

Dorner’s wallet and driver’s license found in rubble of burned out cabin.

JJ, hope you are starting to feel better.

12. RalphB says:

Panetta: ‘We Can’t Just Sit Here And Bitch’

Outgoing U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta expressed frustration about Washington’s inability to compromise on Wednesday, recalling a time of more comity and harmonious governance.

“We need to find solutions. We can’t just sit here and bitch,” Panetta told reporters at a Pentagon press conference. “Somehow some way we have got to get back to that. We have got to get back to that for the sake of this country.”

“What you see on display is too much meanness,” he continued. “Somehow the members of both the House and Senate side have to get back to a point of where they really respect the instutition they are a part of.”

Good for Leon!

13. RalphB says:

Sen Harry Reid (D-NV) filed for cloture on the nomination of Chuck Hagel as the secretary of defense on Wednesday, saying it was the first time in history that such a nomination faced a filibuster.

“What a shame,” Reid said on the Senate floor. “But, that’s the way it is.”

The Senate will vote to end debate on Friday, ultimately requiring 60 votes to proceed to final confirmation.

14. RalphB says:

Politico’s Super-Awesome SOTU Fact-Check Is Super-Awesome, A Fact-Check

Rebecca Schoenkopf takes an axe to Tiger Beat on the Potomac. :-) For serious political news, it’s Wonkette by miles.