Saturday Morning Reads: The Aftermath of the Blizzard of 2013

Globe front page, blizzard '78 vs '13. Photog David L. Ryan -- shared on Moby Picture by Maria Sacchetti

Globe front page, blizzard ’78 vs ’13. Photog David L. Ryan — shared on Moby Picture by Maria Sacchetti

Beacon Hill, Boston, morning of Feb. 9, 2013.

Beacon Hill, Boston, morning of Feb. 9, 2013.

Good Morning!!

I awakened with a sense of unreality today, went right to the window and looked out onto a billowing ocean of snow. I had drifted off last night listening to weather updates on the radio and the sound of wind whistling and crackling through the trees outside my house. I suppose it’s understandable that I didn’t sleep very well. I finally fell sound asleep around 4:00 in the morning and slept past 9:00–so I’m getting a very late start today, and feeling somewhat stunned by the awesome power of nature.

I read at the Boston Globe Weather Wisdom blog that Belmont, which is the next town over from mine (Arlington) and is very close to where I live got 27 inches of snow. I live at the top of a huge hill, os I probably got a bit more than that. I can’t take any photos from where I am yet, because I can’t get the storm door open. The snow is piled so high on the front porch that it will probably take me awhile to work my way out, but here’s a shot taken in my town in metro-northwest last night as the storm was building in our area. The good news for me is that I’m one of the lucky ones who didn’t lose power last night.

Capitol Square on Friday night. Credit: Mary Beth Wilkes, @mbwilkes on Twitter

Capitol Square on Friday night. Credit: Mary Beth Wilkes, @mbwilkes on Twitter

The Boston Globe reports: Travel ban remains in effect, eyes turn to coast as blizzard continues

Hundreds of thousands of Massachusetts residents have lost power because of the mammoth blizzard that lashed Massachusetts with hurricane-force winds and dumped more than two feet of snow in some areas overnight.

The state is at a standstill, with residents hunkering down at home under a rare travel ban imposed by the governor on Friday, and the MBTA saying it will not be able to restore service today. Snowplows are out in force struggling to clear the roads, but the storm is expected to continue dumping snow into midday.

National Guard troops are heading to coastal communities to assist in possible evacuations due to giant waves whipped up by the storm that are expected to batter the beaches at high tide at 10 a.m., potentially devouring beaches and homes.

State emergency management officials said there were no reports of major injuries due to the storm, even though there were two truck rollovers and about 30 stranded motorists had to be rescued from the roads.

A few more national stories on the storm:

More storm photos at ABC News: Blizzard 2013: Northeast Hit by Snowstorm

CNN: 650,000 without power as blizzard heads out to sea

A massive blizzard that dumped as much as 3 feet of snow in some parts of the Northeast is heading out to sea, as workers across New York and New England struggle to get airports, trains and highways back online.
The snowstorm, a product of two converging weather systems, knocked out power for more than 650,000 customers and prompted the U.S. Postal Service to suspend deliveries in seven states.

Mandatory evacuations were issued Saturday morning for Massachusetts coastal regions near Hull because of flooding concerns, and high winds whipped throughout the region. Authorities also advised residents to leave shoreline areas in Marshfield and Scituate.

Forecasters say the storm is expected to continue swirling across New England with gusts up to 40 mph in cities including Providence, Rhode Island, Hartford, Connecticut and Boston. Most of the heavy snow will taper off later in the afternoon, they said.

Three of New York’s busiest airports resumed limited service Saturday morning. Logan International Airport in Boston and Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, remained closed.

This one from the LA Times is for Janicen: Forget the Blizzard of 1978; Buffalo remembers Blizzard of 1977

If you hail from the nation’s snow country, wintry blizzards are like some bully you endured back in grade school: You never forget them, and their long-ago tortures grow in size and scope with each retelling.

As a storm of possibly historic magnitude slams the East Coast this weekend, my thoughts are blown back to the worst winter tempest of my life, in upstate New York, with the strange, tragic and even funny memories it left behind for those who endured it. The recollections haven’t become overblown with time. The storm really was that bad.

So here’s a yarn about one hopeless battle with Old Man Winter at his angriest. Light a hearth fire and grab a blanket — and by all means feel free to share your own snowbound stories. Consider it our little therapy group.

The weekend’s storm has prompted many comparisons to the Blizzard of 1978. But in working-class Buffalo, nobody talks about 1978. For them, the Mother of All…

Read more at the link.

AP: Huge storm blankets Northeast with 2 feet of snow

Philly.com: Region gets fallout from huge Blizzard of 2013

ABC News: Sandy in Back of Easterners’ Minds as Snow Falls

That should be enough blizzard news to get you started. I’m going to see if I can get my storm door open, and later on I plan post some general news reads. This is an open thread, so post anything you wish in the comments.

About these ads

32 Comments on “Saturday Morning Reads: The Aftermath of the Blizzard of 2013”

USA Today: Fugitive ex-cop eludes manhunt in California — and other famous manhunts.

• RalphB says:

That guy has played them I imagine. Chances are he could be anywhere except where they are searching.

2. RalphB says:

Very glad your power stayed on!!!!! Good luck with that door.

I got the door open by gradually shoveling underneath it till I could push it open enough to get out. About three feet of snow was piled against the hinge side of the door. I shoveled the porch and four steps, and had to take a break. I don’t know how I’ll ever move all this stuff.

• RalphB says:

I heard last night it’s that heavy wet snow. I hate that stuff. When I lived in Northern New Mexico we got quite a bit of snow in the winter but it was dry powder. Much better.

It’s not wet here. It was below freezing most of the day yesterday and in the teens last night. It will be in the single numbers tonight. It’s not really heavy, just very deep. I tried to get the high school kid up the street to help me, but he wasn’t interested. I would have paid $50.00, but I guess his family must be rich or something. I’ll just work on it gradually and take breaks.

BB, that kid sounds like a spoiled brat, frankly.

• RalphB says:

Kid does sound like a twerp.

• Riverbird says:

I’m glad you didn’t lose power. I feel for you with the shoveling.

Two men with French Canadian accents showed up and they are digging out my driveway!

Actually they were Eastern Europeans. Shows what I know about accents.

• janicen says:

Thank you for posting that article about the Buffalo Blizzard of ’77. I really enjoyed reading it and listening to the song. We were very lucky during that one. Many were not.

It’s great about those guys shoveling out your driveway. I love that type of community spirit that develops in people who live in areas that get lots of snow. It’s different than in any other natural disaster. Sure there are always stories about people doing extraordinary things to help others in disasters but people who live in snowy areas just do it automatically without thinking of themselves as extraordinary and their stories never make the news.

You never know what was going on with the kid who didn’t want to shovel your driveway. He might have not felt well, might have been fighting with his parents, or might have just gotten dumped by his girlfriend. You didn’t need him anyway, the other two guys did it for free! I’m glad you are doing okay. Nothing left to do now but listen to some music, read, or do some task you’ve been putting off. The best part of blizzards is looking back upon them. :-)

You’re welcome, Janicen. I thought of you right away when I saw the article.

The two guys didn’t shovel my driveway out of the goodness of their hearts. I paid them $45.00. But I was still grateful. I’ll be shoveling again tomorrow or whenever the plows block my driveway with packed snow, lol.

3. foxyladi14 says:

GOOD MORNING BB help is on the way. I saw some of our Utility trucks were on the road yesterday headed your way.I am glad your power stayed on Stay safe hugs. :)

The poor people without power thank you!! I really feel for the folks along the coast. Their nightmare has only just begun.

• madamab says:

Hey BB and all the East Coasters, hope you’re all okay! We didn’t get too badly hit, but people are having a hard time getting around. Public transportation is not really running. So far Sandy-type power outages have not happened, but poor Long Island once again got the brunt of the New York syste.

4. Fannie says:

Had cnn on all night long, while I was drifting off to sleep, the snow was drifting and piled up your way. Loved Beacon Hill photo. Hope the weather is winding down, and the workers can get power back up for everyone in the area. Was a BIG storm.

I’ve had snow this deep out here before. The reason this doesn’t compare to the Blizzard of ’78 is that we had no snow on the ground when this one started. In ’78 we had already been through a couple of big storms and there was already at least a couple of feet on the ground.

5. Fannie says:

Oh, didn’t want to forget Sandy, must be depressing because for those who had a sigh of relief that they weren’t hit, are being nailed by this and getting hammered now.

6. Pat Johnson says:

My power stayed on but I just lost Comcast. No tv but the landline is still working and the lights and heat are still on.

My son in Reading was fine but the one in Brimfield lost internet access last night. No tv for him either!

The plows have still not come by but I did clean off the car of 3 feet of snow. By the time the plows come by I will have a wall lof snow at the end of the driveway again. Enough already!

My son in law began snowblowing this morning at 6am and managed to clear my driveway and get some of the snow from the backdoor that had piled up enough that I could not get out.

In a way we have been luckier than some who are without complete power.

• RalphB says:

Glad you made it through with power. Stay warm and toasty.

I’m glad you have power, Pat!! Don’t you get your internet form Comcast too? Take care and be safe out there.

• Pat Johnson says:

I do and it was a power glitch that only lasted for minutes. I have my tv back up and running and tuned to NECN.

My son has Charter out in Brimfield so it is a different story for them.

That’s good news, Pat. I haven’t had any problems here.

7. RalphB says:

This may help explain why the president wants Chuck Hagel as his Secretary of Defense.

President Obama is poised to sign off on a new internal review of U.S. nuclear weapons strategy that would reduce the arsenal by one-third, resulting in billions in savings to the Pentagon and Energy Department.

The recommended reductions were included in a draft version of a classified decision directive compiled by top defense and national security officials inside the White House, according to a report by the Center for Public Integrity issued Friday.

While the president has yet to officially approve the directive, including the recommended one-third cut to the nuclear arsenal, sources tell CPI Obama has voiced no objection to the directive’s findings.

Representatives from State Department, Strategic Command, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the office of Vice President Biden also played a part in drafting the directive.

8. janicen says:

Thank you for the h/t!!!! I will read later, company right now.

9. HT says:

I shoveled five times yesterday. Today I needed walk the dog and woe and behold, there was an addition 5 inches since the last time I shoveled. Fortunately 1: it’s stopped snowing. 2: we are used to this up in the hinterlands 3: our electrical providers are used to this and continue to provide electricity 4: Our local govenment ploughs the sidewalks so Milly got her walk. I hope that others have the same good fortune. Notice that the electricity and the ploughing are government funded situations – something the republicans want to stop.

Take it easy today, HT. Believe me, I know what it’s like. I’ve had many a big storm to deal with over the years. This one is big, but it’s not the worst I’ve faced here by any means.

When the big plows come down my street I’m going to have a four-foot wall at the end of my driveway. I hope I’ll be able to dig it out tomorrow. If not, I have the phone number of the guys who helped me today.

• HT says:

BB thanks I definitely am taking it easy – I’m too old to do otherwise. Glad you made 2 new friends that helped you. By all means call them. People really are intrinsically good. I’ve found that out when I broke my shoulder last year in January and my brother died in February. I can’t believe that a year went by that fast.

10. RalphB says:

John McCain got gobsmacked.

At the tail end of a line of questioning about Benghazi, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) asked Panetta and Dempsey whether they had supported a plan “that we provide weapons to the resistance in Syria.” The plan, he said, was floated in the summer by then-CIA Director David H. Petraeus and endorsed by another heavyweight in the administration at the time, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

“We do,” Panetta replied.

“You did support that?” McCain asked again.

“We did,” added Dempsey, who was sitting next to Panetta. Neither elaborated on their positions.

McCain appeared taken aback by the answers. A few hours later, he issued a statement saying he was “very pleased” to learn of the Pentagon’s stance but criticized President Obama for blocking arms shipments to Syrian rebels.

“What this means is that the president overruled the senior leaders of his own national security team,” said McCain, who has long advocated for U.S. intervention in Syria.

That’s what Presidents do, make final decisions. Good ones sometimes keep us out of wars.

11. RalphB says:

It looks like American Airlines and US Airways are merging to create the world’s biggest and shittiest airline.

12. RalphB says:

Oh boy, just look what we lost out on when Obama beat Alan Keyes.