Audi Ads and Rape Culture … new Super Bowl Ad Low

Alrighty then … I always know that televised football games never have the most enlightened ads if there is such a thing.  I don’t think I ever got enough expletives in my dictionary to deal with the Swedish Bikini Team.  Then, there’s every Go Daddy ad ever made.  I remember when my parents took me to see “In The Heat of the Night” in a theatre in Estes Park Colorado when I was a tender young thing.  Mom usually would find a way to get every one to a movie she wanted to see since the cabin was sans TV and none of my cousins were around to babysit so we got drug to some pretty intense movies.  The opening scene was a bare-breasted woman and my mother tried to strategically give me popcorn by placing the box in front of my face.  That’s always what I think about doing to any girls in the room during ads on sporting events if I happen to wrangled into being there.

So, Audi wins the prize for unbelievaaudi.0_standard_709.0ble … it’s the “Prom Ad”.  Jon Bois sums it up nicely

In this ad, a high school kid is going to the prom by himself. Bummer, bro. But his dad gives him the keys to his Audi. Hell yeah, bro. He cruises to the school and parks in the principal’s spot. Hell yeah, bro. He walks straight up to the prom queen and ambushes her with a kiss.

Hell yeah, bro. What you feel like doing at that particular moment is more important than whether or not she wants to be kissed. Hell yeah, bro. She appears to be in a relationship with someone else, and there is no implication offered in this commercial that this is something she would want. Hell yeah, bro. It turns out that she happened to be OK with it, thereby justifying everything. Hell yeah, bro. The commercial closes with, “Bravery. It’s what defines us.” Hell yeah, bro. The word for just walking up to a woman and kissing her without her consent is apparently, “bravery.” Hell yeah, bro.

Bravery?  Is that what they would call that?

Young and old dudes: Kissing women without their consent is not brave. It is sexual assault. That is all.

Go Daddy:  I really hope Anonymous take down all your servers permanently.

About these ads

35 Comments on “Audi Ads and Rape Culture … new Super Bowl Ad Low”

1. ecocatwoman says:

I thought it was only me who hated the Go Daddy commercials. Not fond of DirectTV ads either.

Will be watching Downton Abbey – Super Bowl, what Super Bowl?

2. I think the power went out at the Super Dome? Kat you lost power too?

• The power is out in half the stadium…imagine if it was the whole stadium.

• janicen says:

This is unbelievable.

• janicen says:

As a Raven’s fan, my tinfoil hat is twitching all over the place. They said the outage occurred somewhere outside the stadium.

dak?????? Was it you?? You can tell us. We won’t tell anyone. ;-)

• Yeah, did you see that Ravens coach cussing out the NFL suit?

Well, at least you all believe me now when I tell you my lights go out all the time.

My cell phone’s been dropping calls like crazy all week and my internet’s gone down too. I don’t think any of the utilities down here are up to handling this kind of drain like we’ve had this week. None of those businesses care about their infrastructure. Only scraping money. Twitter’s lagging badly too.

Nope … but wouldn’t surprise me if they did … wasn’t watching any of it. Entergy sux. The city should’ve never sold our city power and light to them. They refuse to do anything but duck tape and bubble gum our infrastructure. They’re worse than the Catholic church. We have to pay money to the mothership in Tenn. every year so they can pay stockholders and executives but we can’t ask them for money for anything down here. That’s like the set up the vatican has… parishes have to send Rome their money but Rome’s not responsible (or sueable) for anything going on in the parishes or dioceses. Bet the french quarter didn’t go down!!!

3. Kat, Audi that commercial bothered me too…and the fact that he was a “rich” kid also made me think…right…

• janicen says:

I have enjoyed the commercials much more this year than last year. Last year was an all time low for sexism. This year humor rules the day, but I agree about the Audi commercial.

4. Silent Kate says:

I was just telling my sister that I am disgusted by our culture. I must be getting old but Beyonce and her group of women gyrating with everything hanging out made me sick. It helps me understand the middle school kids I teach so much better. We have a sick culture filled with sex and violence. Our children are exposed to this trash by the time they are out of diapers. You cannot protect them from it. I have problems with all of it: guns, God, sex , and violence. Man uses God to get what he wants and he wants sex and violence. Women are stupid to play this game.

5. Anonymous says:

6. Eric Pleim says:

I think the NFL is never going to have a SB in a third world city like NO again. The Audi ad was disgusting, but more for its implication that driving a rich man’s car can and does give one special powers. than the sexist aspect. Note that the girl who was kissed was playing on her own sexuality to get the accolades she wanted in the first place. I doubt an unexpected kiss on the cheek was the worst indignity she opened herself up to. But “bravery” in a car ad? Puleeze. I used to drive a Fiat. Now THAT took bravery.

“Bravery. It’s what defines us.”

Note that women are not “us.” Women are chattel, obviously, to the Audi ad guys.

Real bravery would be walking or riding a bicycle to the prom instead of another fume-spewing machine.

8. RalphB says:

The Niners were feckless at the end and Paul Krugman was shrill on the TV.

“The NRA is now revealed as an insane organization,” Krugman said on ABC’s “This Week.”

“What strikes me is we’ve actually gotten a glimpse into the mindset, though, of the pro-gun people and we’ve seen certainly Wayne LaPierre and some of these others,” Krugman said, referring to the NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre. “It’s bizarre. They have this vision that we’re living in a ‘Mad Max’ movie and that nothing can be done about it, that America cannot manage unless everybody’s prepared to shoot intruders, that — the idea that we have a police forces that provides public safety is somehow totally impractical, despite the fact that, you know, that is, in fact, the way we live.”

“There are plenty of gun-owners who are fine,” Krugman said. “But the lobbying groups, the NRA is now revealed as an insane organization, and that matters quite a lot.”

Were you aware that LaPierre got a draft deferment in 1969 because he was classified as having some kind of neurological disorder that impacted his mental health?

• RalphB says:

No but it’s certain that his mental health hasn’t gotten any better. Guy is completely paranoid insane, when he’s paid to be at least,

9. RalphB says:

Good commentary and comments on a couple of gun stories today from SteveM.

ONE MAN’S AFFLICTION IS ANOTHER MAN’S DRUG OF CHOICE

• RalphB says:

“We do not carry weapons to give us Dutch courage. If a gun makes you feel three meters tall and invulnerable, you had better go unarmed” — Robert A Heinlein