Evening Quick Open Thread

Good evening!

Ah, it is 28 degrees here in Banjoville, and it feels wonderful. I’ve only one link to share with you tonight. It goes to a cartoonist website that I think you will all enjoy.

7000+ off the mark Cartoons by Mark Parisi

My mom found this site today, and she spent an hour or so laughing her ass off as she browsed through Parisi’s cartoons.

1997-11-28

This image up top is especially funny to us, because something similar happened to my grandfather “Nano” years and years ago. I know I have mentioned the story here on the blog.

My Nana and Nano were still living in their house in West Tampa, my parents had moved up to Banjoville and my mom would have to drive back and forth from North Georgia to Florida constantly. Back then my Nano lost his upper dentures, and around the same time, he began to have a horrible pain in his foot. It took six months for an appointment at a foot specialist, and when the time came to take Nano to the doctor, my mom made the trip down to Tampa. She planned on taking Nano to the dentist as well, since his false teeth were still missing.

You can guess what happened…she got there and found Nano’s teeth inside his slipper. The man had walked six plus months with his big old-fashioned upper dentures stuck inside his shoe. His teeth had fallen in the slipper as he took a nap on the couch…see, he would sleep with his mouth open and…well you can figure it out yourself.

It was at this time my mom decided it was time for her parents to come up and live with her in Banjoland.

That is way the cartoon above made us laugh and laugh.

So, go and check those cartoons out, funny stuff!

off the mark – sunday cartoons by mark Parisi

This is an open thread.

About these ads

18 Comments on “Evening Quick Open Thread”

1. Have a laugh at those cartoons…This one is great!: sunday02.gif (GIF Image, 498 × 266 pixels)

2. RalphB says:

Jerusalem Post: Exit polls: Right suffer blow, Lapid big winner

Israel goes Leftward as Right bloc’s majority razor-thin; voter turnout 66.6%; Likud Beytenu plummets; Labor polled to get 17 seats, Bayit Yehudi 12, Shas 11, Livni and Meretz 7 each, UTJ 6.

It wouldn’t be a big surprise if Bibi got challenged for leadership of Likud. Lots of dealmaking ahead forming a government.

3. ANonOMouse says:

That’s a great story about your nano. Reminds me of the time I wore two similar but different black shoes to work. One shoe had about a1 inch heel, the other about 1.5 inches, I spent the entire day feeling as if my bra straps were not adjusted properly. :-)

Crazy Wayne LaPierre speaking live right now in response to Obama’s Inaugural Address.

5. RalphB says:

VA AG and Gov candidate Ken Cuccinelli compares his fight against contraception to Martin Luther King’s nonviolent struggle against segregation.

We all have dreams, just some weirder than others, I guess.

That was truly bizarre. I’m getting sick and tired of these wingnuts claiming connections to Martin Luther King. When he died, he was organizing a poor people’s movement. He opposed the Vietnam War, for pete’s sake!

• janicen says:

I love the commenters’ suggestions that we have some sort of Godwin’s law for when people inappropriately compare themselves to MLK.

*Here in Virginia, our struggle to keep Cuccinelli out of the Governor’s mansion is similar to Dr. Martin Luther King’s struggle for civil rights.*

6. RalphB says:

Barry Ritholtz: Who the Hell Are Phil Mickelson’s Financial Advisers?

Phil is “mad as hell about rising tax rates, and he’s not going to take it anymore.” As Forbes (with tongue firmly in cheek) reports:

“To be honest, it’s hard to blame Mickelson – who has compiled a net worth approaching $180 million by repeatedly striking a tiny white ball until it falls into a hole — for putting all options on the table, which according to some, include the possibility of prematurely shutting down his career to avoid his rising tax burden. Let’s take a look at what Mickelson is up against in 2013:

For starters, courtesy of President Obama’s re-election and the subsequent fiscal cliff negotiations, Mickelson will experience an increase in his top tax rate on ordinary income from 35% to 39.6%, and an increase in his top rate on long-term capital gains and qualified dividends from 15% to 20%. Clearly, when faced with tax hikes of that magnitude, it stops making economic sense for Mickelson to continue to swing a metal stick up to 70 times a day in exchange for the $48 million he earns on an annual basis.”

Yes, our exploited golfer is seemingly going Galt. And while the above paragraphs are truly hilarious — Max Abelson has shown it is terribly amusing to mock the oppressed top 0.1% — I have to wonder who is advising the world’s second ranked all-time money winning golfer.