Sunday Reads Funky Link Dump, James Brown Style

130534089169830531_A8rt5YUL_cGood Morning

Still feeling down in the dumps today, so forgive the sparse content. Hopefully these links are not repeats…

I have not had a chance to read this first link…yet. Kurt Eichenwald: Let’s Repeal the Second Amendment | Vanity Fair

Haven’t read this one either:  6 Biggest Religious Right Threats to America | Alternet

Something on gun control: Muhlberger’s World History: The Bonfire of the Vanities

Check out these official pictures from the White House 2012:

From the silly to the somber, White House photos show 2012 highlights – TODAY News

White House photos 2012; candid snapshots of President, first family released | GlobalPost

A few science articles:

This first link needs a bit of funk to make it right:

How Corn Syrup Might Be Making Us Hungry-and Fat

If you have what James Brown likes…then you may also suffer from Fatty Liver.

One thing that can help with this next link about Fatty Liver, is to get a little more active:

Scientists develop new compound that reverses fatty liver disease

Muscle weakness in Down syndrome: New study offers insights

‘Black Beauty’ meteorite could yield Martian secrets

Which spiral arm of the Milky Way contains our sun?

For Dakinikat…it isn’t about old grave discoveries, but it still has a touch of death to it: Dried squash holds headless French king’s blood, study finds

Another one for Dak, Maya Funerary Vessel Represents “Tremor 8” – Archaeology Magazine

For Boston Boomer, you may find this interesting: Language Acquisition Could Begin In The Womb | Geekosystem

Is it a man’s world? Now for some mood music, for the next few links about Women’s Rights and Women in History:

Annie Lennox has a blog she writes at: Annie Lennox Calls For Action On Women’s Rights In 2013 – Starpulse.com

Here is direct link to it: Annie Lennox – Official Website

Maybe  Women’s Rights will have a louder voice now: 101 Facts About 100 Women of the House and Senate

History looks at Viking Women: Don’t underestimate Viking women | Medieval News

Another one on religion, and women’s influence in culture: Research uncovers how single and widowed women shaped the religious culture of colonial Latin America

Strange news: 15-year-old girl with missing moniker set to sue Icelandic government in fight to legally use her name

Sick twisted doctors…10 Derailed Doctors Who Creatively Abused Their Patients

An iconic song turns 30: ‘Billie Jean’: Michael Jackson’s landmark single turns 30 | theGrio

A very cool picture of Mt. Everest…and a very cool idea:  Toys inspire giant ‘dandelion’ anti-mine device

Video of a big ass plane landing at a tiny airport.

Video of the same big ass plane taking off from a tiny airport.

Video of a cartoon we have all seen before, but should watch again.

A few movie reviews:

Richard Schickel: Seven Movies I Liked in 2012 (and One I Didn’t)

This Amanda Marcotte review of Django Unchained is good, she gets it:  Django Unchained: A Movie About Other Movies About the 19th Century

And…another review…about Django…only this one asks the wrong question: How Accurate Is Quentin Tarantino’s Portrayal of Slavery in Django Unchained? : The New Yorker

And one more:  Wagner with Guns by Christopher Benfey | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books

Sticking with the movie topic a bit more: alicublog: I LOST IT AT THE MOVIES.

Now for an actor who is Super Bad, and one of my favorites, bet you can guess who that is?

An interview with my man: Samuel L. Jackson is right about bad Hollywood endings, but then real life isn’t much better

I wonder if this film will be made in time for the 2016 campaign season: Tennessee Guerilla Women: Hillary Clinton’s Life, Soon to Be a Hollywood Movie

And…its a squatch! One of those elusive Georgia Redneck Big Foots! Yup, a few of them are getting together to talk about another kind of Bigfoot…Inaugural Southeastern Bigfoot Conference being held in Dahlonega

More fantastic Bigfoot reads:

Top 10 Reasons Bigfoot Probably Doesn’t Exist

Bigfoot or Good Foot you decide:

Have a fantastic Sunday…and hope everyone is feeling good!

22 Comments on “Sunday Reads Funky Link Dump, James Brown Style”

1. jj says:

btw…I put a lot of links in this post so you can come back to it during the day.

Wow, so much good stuff here. I’m going to go read the first two links right away. But first, my favorite James Brown song.

In this one, he looks like he’s going to have a heart attack.

• Love it…

Hey, can someone tell me if there was enough corn for those ethanol gas pumps: Higher corn prices hit stores, chicken farms | AccessNorthGa

last summer’s severe Midwestern drought sent prices skyrocketing and hurt industries — North Georgia poultry, in particular — that use corn as a raw material. Chicken growers, producers, retailers and consumers suffered the higher prices.

“Pain is the right word,” said Tom Hensley, president of Habersham County-based Fieldale Farms. Fieldale spent an extra $50 million on chicken feed last year. “We now have more days between flocks which means, over the course of a year, we make less money. And the price of beef and chicken is at an all-time high.”

I just woke up…again. All I seem to do is want to sleep. LOL

• ecocatwoman says:

It’s always been my favorite too. I love the theatrics of it. I saw him in person in the early 70s. I went with an older – not by much – married couple. We were the only white people in the audience. James Brown had yet to be “discovered” by white folks then. His music, at least in Central Florida wasn’t played on white radio stations, even though some of the big Motown names were.

I was well aware of him in the 1960s….

• ecocatwoman says:

I don’t doubt that. However Central Florida into the late 70s was, at least, a decade behind the rest of the world. When I got here in 68 it was like stepping into the 50s or Mayberry. Then Disney arrived & everything changed, for the worse.

3. RalphB says:

Glenn Greenwald on the appointment of Chuck Hagel for SecDef. I agree completely with is analysis.

The Guardian: Chuck Hagel and liberals: what are the priorities?

Given the steadfast and usually unquestioning support most liberals have given this Democratic President as he’s pursued policies of aggression and militarism, they should refrain from opposing one of the few prominent dissidents on these matters absent some very compelling reasons. So far, nothing remotely compelling has been offered. If this nomination actually happens, this will be one of Obama’s best appointments and boldest steps of his presidency. It would be ironic indeed, and more than a bit unfortunate, if liberals decide to make this nomination one of the very few times they are willing to oppose their party’s leader.

Now to go read links. I’ve got lots of reading to do. Thanks JJ.

Just read that …. here’s a thought too …

Glenn Greenwald ‏@ggreenwald

Lindsey Graham: I would vote to confirm John Kerry but not Chuck Hagel – worth thinking about why that is http://is.gd/a0vxt4

• RalphB says:

Josh Marshall :-)

TPM: Crack Pipe

I’m watching a lot of neoconservative policy activists and a lot of people in the press telling me that it’s a very up in the air thing whether Chuck Hagel gets confirmed as Secretary of Defense. These folks should stop smoking crack. Because crack isn’t good for you.

Maybe I’m just out of the loop because I’m not reporting aggressively myself. Or maybe — I think much more likely — I’m not in the same crack den with the rest of these good people so the air I’m breathing is clear and I know what is happening in the real world.

• RalphB says:

John Cole on Hagel nomination.

balloon-juice: I Want to Have This Fight, Too

Some Republicans are already freaking out over the potential nomination of Hagel:

[Lindsey Graham BS]

What’s so amazing to me is that Graham, who used to be (I don’t know if he still is) a reserve JAG officer, swore an oath when he joined the military. Here it is:

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Oddly enough, there is not one word in there about Israel. Maybe Graham isn’t clear that we aren’t nominating Chuck Hagel to be Israel’s Secretary of Defense, but our own. That’s how messed up this situation has become with us as Israel’s client state. Senators can make completely asinine statements like the one above, and no one even flinches. Then, if you point out the overwhelming influence of the Israel lobby in the United States congress, you get tarred and feathered as an anti-Semite. And then they’ll deny there is an Israel lobby.

So I want to have this fight. Let’s let Graham and all the others go in front of a camera and proclaim to the world that their top consideration for the American Secretary of Defense is… his deference to a foreign nation. Bring it on, Lindsey.

4. RalphB says:

Dak and I went back and forth a bit yesterday on this. Booman seems to have it close to right.

The Crack-Up of the GOP: No Way Out

Lots of good links & info here, JJ. Hope you feel better soon!

6. ecocatwoman says:

After Ralph’s link yesterday about the cat in a small Italian village, I had to share this story: http://www.omaha.com/article/20130106/NEWS/701069923/1685#kelly-dog-escapes-travels-miles-to-site-of-owner-s-funeral So glad there IS a happy ending for Elvis, the dog.

7. RalphB says:

Joe Cannon has an interesting and pretty compelling post up here.

Cannonfire: The Awlaki mystery: Was he one of ours? Is he really dead?