Secretary Clinton admitted to hospital with Blood Clot in Brain

I certainly hope that karma ripens quickly for all those rotten rightwingers that wanted proof that SOS Hillary Clinton  suffered from a gty_hillary_clinton_dm_120216_wgconcussion.

Do you hear that faint sound? It’s the grumbling of conservative pundits who are now churning out a theory that Hillary Clinton is lying about her concussion to avoid having to testify about Benghazi. Clinton had a concussion recently, her team said Saturday. And The Daily Caller’s Jim Treacher isn’t sending the Secretary of State a get-well card until she proves she was really hurt. He writes:

If she has a concussion, let’s see the medical report. Let’s see some proof that she’s not just stonewalling. If it’s true, then we can all wish her a speedy recovery. But it’s ridiculous to expect us to take her word for it.

And there’s more:

P.S. If you demanded Romney’s tax returns but you think it’s paranoid to ask for Hillary Clinton’s medical report, #YouMightBeALiberal

Of course Romney didn’t release his full tax returns, but that’s not neither here nor there. Back to Concussiongate: the State Department released a statement saying that “while suffering from a stomach virus, Secretary Clinton became dehydrated and fainted, sustaining a concussion,” and Treacher is not alone in not buying that. Former United Nations Ambassador and Fox News commentator John Bolton insinuated Monday night on Fox News’s On the Record with Greta Van Susteren that Clinton’s concussion was dubious, because he knows how to play sick. He said:

You know, every foreign service officer in every foreign ministry in the world knows the phrase I am about to use. When you don’t want to go to a meeting or conference, or an event, you have a ‘diplomatic illness,’ … And this is a diplomatic illness to beat the band.

She’s been admitted to NY Presbyterian and placed on anticoagulants.

Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines says her doctors discovered the clot during a follow-up exam Sunday. Reines says Clinton is being treated with anti-coagulants.

Clinton was admitted to New York-Presbyterian Hospital so doctors can monitor the medication over the next 48 hours.

Reines says doctors will continue to assess Clinton’s condition, “including other issues associated with her concussion.”

About these ads

51 Comments on “Secretary Clinton admitted to hospital with Blood Clot in Brain”

1. Is this something that doctors can fix? May sound like a stupid question, but what can the doctors do with a blood clot in the brain?

• janicen says:

They keep her stable and start feeding her anticoagulants. The clots then break up, slowly. Assuming all goes well, she will be on anticoagulants for the next six months. Of course right now is a dangerous time. Another clot could form, but she could not be in better hands.

• janicen says:

Right now I’m sure she is sedated to help with the pain in her head and with the extreme nausea that accompanies the pain.

• Delphyne says:

Oh, no! I just don’t want to read this kind of thing now – or ever! I hope she is alright and that the medications/treatments help her recover.

And those idiots, jerks who think she is lying about the concussion – may they shut they f*ck up immediately. And that’s a mild statement of what I really want to say.

She may not be in pain or have nausea, if the clot was asymptomatic and discovered just because she had a followup brain scan. No way to really tell from the minimal details so far.

It’s possibly very dangerous. This is what Natasha Richardson died from.

If they monitor things it’s better … the worst cases happen usually closer to the concussion. NWLuna might be able to explain more.

• janicen says:

It is dangerous. We went through it with my daughter who was sixteen years old, a non-smoker and non-drinker. Hillary is a bit older. Since that happened to us every medical professional who has heard the story says, “Do you know how lucky you were?” It’s pretty scary.

In re: Natasha Richardson, that illustrates how important it is that someone rest post-concussion!

I wrote more at 8:36 below. Spent some time reviewing current anti-coags as it’s not my specialty.

• Beata says:

New York-Presbyterian has one of the best neurological / neurosurgical departments in the world. Hillary will get excellent care there.

AP is saying that the location of the blood clot is not being disclosed. It is most likely in the brain, but could be located elsewhere. Even if it is in the brain, it can be treated. As I recall, Natasha Richardson died without being diagnosed or treated for her blood clot ( please correct me if I’m wrong about that ). My aunt had a blood clot in her brain when she was in her 50′s. It left her with life-altering disabilities but she lived. She is almost 90 years old now.

Beata, you’re right. Richardson declined medical care and unfortunately got worse in about 1 hr after the accident.

• Beata says:

CNN’s Sanjay Gupta, a neurosurgeon, is now speculating that the blood clot is NOT located in Hillary’s brain. Says blood thinners usually not used for blood clots in brain. Says clot may be in the leg instead.

• Fannie says:

Well, that’s what a stroke is about, and mostly if the person is younger they have a better chance for recovery, which is a long process. If it’s in the leg, they harvest the viens, and watch the heart.

I know that Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor, who is a brain doctor, had a stroke, and she wrote a book called My Stroke of Insight………….I think she even has developed a look into that experience on youtube.

• Beata says:

Jill is absolutely brilliant. I know her and highly recommend her book. Her story is amazing.

Unfortunately, after looking at my MRIs, Jill told me my brain tumor is not treatable. I was devastated to learn that but she is the foremost expert on brain anatomy so I trust her opinion.

• Fannie says:

omg……….Beata. Her book was something, I purchased several copies to hand out to various people in the field. I wish I could see her as a doctor. I’ve got a new one I will see in Jan. and don’t know what to expect from one who is located in big hospital unit branch. I heart you Beata………..

OMG, this is terrible!!

3. Drudge has the headline

DRAMA: Hillary Clinton in hospital with blood clot…
    Observation…

asshole!

It could be anything from very bad to not-so-bad. Since they say the clot was found “during a follow-up exam” it sounds as if she had no symptoms from it. In which case, that would indicate it’s a small clot, or in an area which has good collateral circulation.

They surely would have done a brain scan shortly after the concussion. So this is something which has formed since her last scan, whenever that was.

Drugs which rapidly dissolve the clot (must be given early) are not given when there’s been trauma — risk of bleeding is too high. They usually don’t give anticoagulants — which don’t dissolve existing clots, but decrease the risk of new clots forming, and also increase bleeding risk — after trauma either. So that’s why she wasn’t already on anticoagulants. Now they must have decided the new-clot risk outwears the bleed risk. There’s a range you want, neither too high nor too low, when on anticoagulants, so monitoring the levels is essential.

So … hard to really tell — not much info is released — but not info which sounds terrible. My heartfelt wishes for her complete recovery.

May the suspicious Republicans choke on their vicious words.

General overall health is more important than age for recovery, too. So that’s another positive.

If it didn’t cause symptoms and was found just due to f/u brain scan, the recovery prognosis is usually excellent.

Long-term anti-coag use requires blood draws about 2 X wk for monitoring — that’s what most patients gripe about. I’d hate it too.

• Beata says:

Thanks for the information, NW Luna.

• Delphyne says:

Yes, thank you Luna for your insights into all of this – so very appreciated.

Thanks so much NW Luna. I was hoping you’d come by and explain things.

• Fannie says:

blood labs twice week…………get’s old after awhile.

• janicen says:

It depends where you go. The first doctor we used did blood draws but then we switched doctors and the second doctor’s office used a finger prick and could then instantly tell you your INR level. It was much much easier. Once they get your levels right, you can get by with blood checks once a week, and then maybe even once every two weeks if your levels remain stable.

• ANonOMouse says:

Thanks for the help explaining this NWLuna…I’ve had a very bad feeling about this since she first became sick. She’s a workaholic and if she’s out of circulation you know it’s something serious.

“May the suspicious Republicans choke on their vicious words”

I double down on that sentiment.

• Beata says:

I have been very worried, too. I feared it was more serious than we were being told.

I believe in prayer. I am praying for Hillary’s complete recovery.

• janicen says:

Thanks for the explanation. That clears things up.

• Fredster says:

Ah..the old Coumdadin INR dance.

Ah, Fredster, sounds like you’re far too familiar with it! I hope your levels are and will be nicely stable.

• Fredster says:

@NW Luna: My mom had a mechanical heart valve. There were times those prothrombin times would be all over the place. After the test sometimes it would be “take 7 mgs. today and tomorrow, then 5 mgs for two days, then come back for another test.” She was always more stable on Coumadin rather than generic warfarin and *that* was another pain, explaining to the ins. company.

5. Greywolf says:

Oh, my! May she have a smooth and speedy recovery.

I’m happy to be able to explain medical info (although I wish this event didn’t happen) to our SkyDancers community.

Just to repeat that there’s not much info released. But what has been released is not cause for great alarm. May it continue so.

7. Fannie says:

Oh my, I am so sorry to hear this news. I am just so glad they caught it, and will be keeping her in the hospital. They did not say where the clot was located, they are always dangerous. I am glad they are keeping their eyes on her, so will we.

8. peggysue22 says:

Oh, good grief. I wish I hadn’t read that headline last night in the National Enquirer. I thought it was all nonsense but it did give me a peculiar chill.

I heard one CNN journalist say that Hillary has had a history of these blood clots, once while campaigning for Bill back in the 90s and someone said she had a problem pop up during 2008. I understood the clot was in her leg but the news right now is all pretty vague. A brain or pulmonary clot is far more serious. But she’s hospitalized and on blood thinners, under observation and I would think regular and careful blood draws. My youngest son developed a clot from a torn carotid artery after his fall and brain injury. He stroked out.

What a nightmare! Hoping for the best.

9. Lorna Youngs says:

What could be the “other issues” that her spokesperson stated:

“Her doctors will continue to assess her condition, including other issues associated with her concussion,” Reines said. “They will determine if any further action is required.”

10. Hillary Clinton’s Greatest Speeches on Women (Sending you good thoughts and prayers for a full recovery.)