Live Blog: Obama vs. Romney, Round 3, Foreign Policy Debate

Tonight is the last presidential debate. I have no idea what’s going to happen. I don’t understand what’s happening with the polls, and I don’t get why so many people are ready to vote for a lying flim-flam man like Mitt Romney. All I can do is take this one day at a time until we get the results on November 7th or 8th.

For those of you who want to look at analysis, here are the latest posts from the two poll aggregators we’ve been following: Nate Silver and Sam Wang.

Here’s today’s outrage from the Romney campaign: Staying Classy

Ronna Romney is the ex-sister-in-law of Mitt Romney. She’s apparently remained close to the Romney family. She has a minor role in the Romney campaign in Florida and has recently appeared at campaign events in Michigan with her daughter.

Earlier this afternoon she posted these grotesque images of the mangled body of the late Ambassador Chris Stevens with the words “Obama killed him” surrounded by dripping blood.

You can see the screengrab at the TPM link.

And here’s a little comic relief: Mitt Romney blimp crash lands in Florida

A blimp displaying a Mitt Romney campaign ad crash landed in Davie, Fla. Sunday evening.
Davie police said that wind forced the the aircraft to land in a field around 7:10 p.m., and two people got out safely….

The Sun Sentinel reports that the airship was headed from Boca Raton, the site of Monday night’s debate, to North Perry Airport in Pembroke Pines. It featured a picture of the Republican candidate with the slogan “America Needs Romney.”

“We saw the blimp hovering over the house, and it was floating backwards; it looked like it was actually coming down,” local Teri Balter told NBC News. “I thought boy, Mitt Romney really wants us to vote for him.”

How will the media report the third debate? Probably the same way they reported the second debate.

Which Mitt Romney will show up tonight?

It’s all coming down to stupid undecided voters.

I plan to watch the debate on-line and listen to MSNBC coverage on satellite radio. What are your plans? What do you expect to happen tonight?

We’ll use this post as a live blog until the comment thread gets too long, at which point I’ll post fresh thread and let you know to move up.

Let’s have fun watching–what do we have to lose at this point? And don’t forget to vote!!

Here’s some music to get us started: A Message to Republicans from Lesley Gore:

About these ads

121 Comments on “Live Blog: Obama vs. Romney, Round 3, Foreign Policy Debate”

I’m really going to be interested in how Romney explains all those Bush Cheney Neocons and his warm mongering during the primaries.

2. janicen says:

That’s a startlingly disturbing image on the TPM link. What sick fuck would even think to do that?

Mitt Romney’s ex-sister-in-law.

• Fannie says:

What can we do to stop it? Our ambassador’s family must live with his death 24 hours a day, and his body wasn’t even cold in the grave in those photos. I’ve never seen anything so disturbing and disrespectful, they are using his body as a show case for political gain. We don’t even show photos of our war dead soldiers.

Hillary should put into effect a law, forbidding this kind thing to happen to our servants, and making it a crime. Ronna is promoting violence, I am pissed as hell that she has run for office more than once, and is involved in a campaign. She should be terminated right now.

• HT says:

Hillary is not a lawmaker and cannot do anything, other than express her outrage. To make matters worse, one of those images, which has since been taken down, is of Gaddaffi, not Ambassador Stevens. Just one more example of the couth of the Romney family – in that they are all uncouth, every last single one of them. Money does not make the man or woman. A lesson that it appears not one Romney ever learned.

• Fannie says:

Hillary does have influence, and so does her husband, and I believe we do too. HT, I didn’t realize one photo was of Gaddaffi………..was there a total of 3 photos? Two of Chris? You’re right, uncouth, and scum.

Hillary swore in Ambassador Stevens herself. His sister is a pediatrician in Seattle. His family is real, damn it. This is like Romney talking about meeting one of the diplomatic staff years ago, to shove his vulturous self in the limelight, when the dead man’s brother said Romney was a memory-deficient idiot who kept re-introducing himself over and over again. But far, far worse. What a hideous family.

I forgot about the CNN focus group. I’m going to watch on CNN so I can see the focus group’s reactions.

4. ecocatwoman says:

What have we got to lose? Maybe the remaining small bits of our sanity? Seriously, I’ve watched the 1306 debates – I might be exaggerating a little with that number – but this one has my stomach tied in knots. It’s not logical, but I think my meter is set on emotional, logic be damned.

5. So is this where the party is?

You’re in the right place!!

• HT says:

where are the drinks and the munchies? I’ll probably fall asleep before it’s all over, so want to gorge while I am awake!

Bad idea. Romney’s apt to say something that makes us want to throw up.

You can have on of my Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ales! I’ve no snacks unless I run to the fridge for the hummus though!

• HT says:

Good point Luna, I’ll have to rethink my ways of dealing with inanities. BTW, My BMI is quite good, so I’m not a food obsessed person, however I do break out the chips and dips when politicians gather. Seems to relieve the tedium and the outrage.

HT, I think you’re tough enough to handle whatever sick blather Romney spews!

Humus… I have some mix in the kitchen; that could be good tonight. And maybe some Ye Olde English Cyder. Or Canadian. From somewhere where they have national health care.

• HT says:

Ah, Kat, another Pumpkin ale advocate? I love the stuff. Mind you it’s only available around harvest time here. I do like hummus, as long as there’s pita with which to dip.

• HT says:

Luna, you are so discreet and so funny at the same time. Yes we do have health care, yes you wish you did, yes you should have health care cause ours is far less expensive than what ragtag excuse that you have. We also have great apple cider. Perfect place to live if you can stand the winters.

No TV here. Radio? Not sure if I can listen to Vulture without smashing the speakers every time he lies. I’d destroy them in about 30 seconds. I’ll keep SkyDancing on; that’s the best way to keep my sanity.

Former election official: Tagg Romney’s stake in voting machine firm ‘doesn’t look good’

Good to see this issue get some MSM time.

Brunner, however, told MSNBC.com that the threat of a deliberate, politically motivated effort to corrupt the system’s results is very low. “Because we did the study, we were able to put into place a very comprehensive set of procedures to ensure that everything works as it should,” she said, adding that the software is now kept in a “secure location without any kind of random access.”

In a statement to MSNBC.com, a company spokesperson said: “Hart InterCivic has a long track record of supporting a fair and open democratic process. Any suggestions that the Company might try to influence the outcome of election results are unfounded.”

Nonetheless, Brunner said, for a close family member of a presidential candidate to have a stake in a company charged with administering election results in a key swing state raises at least the appearance of a conflict.

8. Fannie says:

What do I expect tonight? I expect Obama to finish Romney off…………………….you hear me, finish him off.

Drop his ass to the floor, and drop a bomb on him, you hear me? I want Obama to say kind words about his wife’s story in helping when our soliders come home injured and severly handicapped after serving three and four tours, and then drop the fucking bomb on the republicans who have been blocking health care, and jobs for our veterans. Drop the fucking bomb on Romney and his campaign for using the body of Chris Stevens, and not supporting the take down of Godaffi……………or the take down of Osama bin laden.

I expect Obama to finish him off tonight, you hear me?

I sure hope your prediction comes true!

• Fannie says:

He was’t as forceful voice as I wanted, maybe he had to remain “the President”…………but he did talk about the first lady and the troops, and providing for those coming home. Thank you President Obama.

Former Mossad chief says Romney has damaged U.S. and Israeli efforts to deal with Iran.

JimMartin2011: #ExpandTheDebate all the countries Romney pissed off on his world tour and how that doesn’t look good as president

11. ecocatwoman says:

Rachel just said that 17 of Romney’s 24 advisors were in the Bush Administration. That’s 71%! They aren’t NeoCons, they are straight up Con Men. And Dickhead Cheney has been doing fundraisers for Mittens.

12. peggysue22 says:

I’m watching Current TV and reviewing the Tweets as they come in. What do I expect? An Obama win. There’s no reason to think Romney has any advantage in this arena and if a gaffe is made, I think we can count on Mittens to make it.

That being said, this is water under the bridge for me. I voted, early. For Jill Stein. I live in a Red State and Obama hasn’t a chance here. Also went Green for the Senate. For the House, I voted Dem though I really resent candidates running without being forced to put their positions in writing. Couldn’t find anything pointed or particular on this particular Dem candidate but his Republican opponent took a classic Teabag line.

No Way! And there was no alternative beyond a write-in.

I think the only thing anyone can do is sit back and let the spinning begin. The polls are all over the place but Nate Silver’s numbers appear pretty reliable. I think Obama will take the election. Unless, there’s some appalling reveal. Who knows? The Donald has made noises that he has a massive revelation on Obama; he’s saving it for tomorrow. But frankly, I think the voter machine connection to the Romney family is highly damaging.

To me? This is beginning to feel like true theater–all the conflicting numbers and stats, the heightened tension in news reports, accusations being thrown left and right.

It’s the duel of the 1%ers from where I sit. The Republicans are completely toxic with their Neocon/Ayn Rand romance. And the Dems? If I hear the word bipartisan or the phrase ‘Grand Bargain” again, I might very well throw a shoe at the TV.

Should be interesting!

Here’s Grandpa Bob.

Romney is smirking. I wonder what he’s planning?

15. Hey, from the C-Span video Mitt looks orange again…

Shieffer recites Republican talking points on Libya.

Romney continues to smirk.

Romney makes a token appeal to women in connection with Arab spring and related political unrest.

19. What the fuck is Mitt talking about…oh there is the Iran drop.

Romney IS smirking. He’s worse than Bush Jr. Obama looks like he really hates having to be civil to this slimebucket.

Romney looks condescending.

Good points on Libya — Cost-effective intervention. Libyans marching and saying “America is our friend.”

23. Go after the bad guys? that is straight out of Bush’s mouth.

Women are responding positively to Obama, but not liking Romney saying “kill them.” Men were responding well to Obama but liking Romney more.

Romney thinks it’s so easy to get the extremists out of the ME. But keep our investments (his investments?)

Obama looks at him in disbelief at his naiveity.

Oh brother. Romney says we need to promote gender equality in the Middle East. LOLOLOLOLOL!!

Obama saying that Romney is living in the past. Pointing out inconsistencies. But he doesn’t sound that solid yet.

Romney is smirking and Obama is telling him he’s been all over the map on things and sending mixed signals to allies and to troops …

yay!!!

I can’t stand watching Romney with that insolent smirk on his face.

29. I don’t know how much more of this shit I can take. Fucking Mitt! Shut the fuck up.

30. pdgrey says:

former Van Buren Administration State Department correspondent gives mittens 2 seconds.

Romney denies that he said he wanted to put troops back into Iraq. Liar!

Men’s line went way up when Obama said we can’t keep doing nation building overseas. We need nation building here at home.

Romney stopped smirking for a minute there during Syria discussion.

34. pdgrey says:

Charles P. Pierce ‏@ESQPolitics

If Willard were playing his cards any closer to his vest, they’d be behind him

oooh! Russian’s our biggest threat, said Romney. Good one, POTUS. Hit him on his flip-flops.

….Romney not in a position to actually do foreign policy? Did Obama actually say that? That’s bold for him. Go for it!

36. Silent Kate says:

Promote those principles around the world while we screw the women at home! Romney speaks!

37. Huh? I really don’t know if I can stand it much longer

Urgh. My wireless slows way down during the debates. Everybody else in my neighborhood must be online too.

I’ll catch up in the wrap-up at least.

“I can create jobs and rising take-home pay.” Is that why Bain caused so many layoffs and company failures?

“…put parents and teachers and kids first, and the teachers’ union behind” WTF?

40. Silent Kate says:

I’m a teacher….how any teacher could vote for that moron is beyond me!

Fresh thread up above!! Come on up.

Romney looks drugged. Either that or his smirk has some creeping realization that he’s getting whipped intellectually.

43. pdgrey says:

Van Buren strikes again!

44. pdgrey says:

Throw Down!

45. ecocatwoman says:

I LOVED Obama telling Mittens about aircraft carriers, where airplanes can land & takeoff. Also we have ships that go under water. They are called nuclear submarines. FUNNY! Yes, Mittens you are an idiot!

46. JB says:

What? My opinion does not get posted because I speak my mind? Thanks a lot!

47. JB says:

Talk about a liar! Mr. Obama can’t speak without lying!

48. JB says:

What a load of crap! You Mr. P have had 4 years to straighten things out…. watch 2016 and find out what the REAL agenda is!