News Round-up Link Dump

It’s another night of Middle School Football for me, so here are some Interesting and strange and funny links to get you going this evening.

Let’s start with the interesting ones first.

You may have heard about this already…GOP BLOCKS JOBS FOR VETS – Political Cartoon by Deb Milbrath, Cartoon Movement – 09/20/2012

Cartoon by Deb Milbrath - GOP BLOCKS JOBS FOR VETS

And then, check out what is being “ignored” until after the election:  Boehner Confirms Farm Bill on Hold

Typical bullshit! You all know what is part of that farms bill, but let me repeat it…SNAP, Foodstamps, WIC and all that other good stuff, you know the “food” that those people feel entitled to?

Numbers are out for Illegal Immigrant Deportations, Report: Number of undocumented immigrants arrested and deported in 2011 hits record high

There is this news on the Akin front: The GOP is stuck with Todd Akin

And in my redneck of the woods: Senate leader allegedly billed taxpayers for campaign mail

Still on the interesting links BTW, here are a few NASA articles:

What’s it like to fly a plane with shuttle on top?

Spot The Space Shuttle: Exclusive Interview About Endeavor’s Journey And Final Destination

Mars rover targets a rock called Jake – Cosmic Log

And, Bill Clinton has written something for TIME, Bill Clinton On Why The World Is Getting Better All The Time

Okay, now for the strange news, I’ve only got one story for you there: Valerie Spruill, Ohio Woman, Finds Out Husband Was Her Father

It is obvious that the family knew the truth, but no one said shit about it. That is f’d up!

From the Funny department, gotta love these next few links…

John Boehner Says Mitt Romney Campaign Not Dead Yet, Jokes ‘I Just Hope I Survive’

Even as he joked“I just hope I survive,” House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) declined to defend Mitt Romney’s now-infamous 47 percent remarks Thursday, and insisted the Republican ticket can still win.

Asked repeatedly about Romney’s secretly videotaped admissions that he doesn’t care about the 47 percent of people who he said pay no income taxes and therefore won’t vote for him, Boehner demurred, instead saying the election is about jobs.

“Everybody is going to try to make this election about everything other than what it is,” Boehner said. “The American people are asking, ‘Where are the jobs?’”

While he declined to defend Romney’s comments, he pointed out that he has connections to people who are less fortunate.

“I’ve had family members who lost their jobs in this downturn. Two of my brothers, two of my brother in laws. I know what’s happening out there and I know how difficult this economy is,” he said. He then suggested that Romney’s remarks fell into the territory of a typical gaffe.

“You’re going to have both campaigns on both sides that say things that get off the message. The message is let’s stay focused on jobs,” he said.

And he insisted that the widespread feeling that Romney is doomed is flat out wrong.

Pour that man another drink! He needs a refill.

Mitt Romney ‘Dyed His Face Brown’ to Appeal to Latino Voters

Mitt Romney 'Dyed His Face Brown' to Appeal to Latino Voters

Mitt Romney currently trails President Obama among registered Latino voters by nearly 40%, and getting caught saying things like “it would be helpful to be Latino” certainly isn’t helping.

But has it gotten so bad that Romney is now resorting to “brownface” in order to make himself more appealing to Univision viewers? Democratic Underground has looked at the photo above from last night’s “presidential forum” and concluded that, yes, Romney definitely “dyed his face brown.”

Wonkette wonders if perhaps the GOP nominee was involved in some sort of “self-tanner accident” or perhaps went out tanning with John Boehner “for a little pick-me-up.”

Mitt Romney is certainly looking more crispy than usual, but is that enough to call him out for, as Gossip On This put it, trying to win “browning points”?

Hey, is that a shot of the holy magic underwear in that first photo?

And at last, this woman deserves the royalties…let’s give it to her…she’s got balls to ask for them.

Elderly woman who botched religious fresco demands royalties

The elderly Spanish woman who ruined a religious fresco with her botched restoration is now demanding royalties from her work after it became an unlikely tourist attraction.

Elderly woman destroys 19th-century fresco with DIY restoration

Bwahaaaaa Ha Ha…now that is funny!

This is an open thread.

About these ads

28 Comments on “News Round-up Link Dump”

1. janicen says:

I hope Mitt doesn’t wear his brown face in North Carolina. Apparently it isn’t always an “advantage” to be Latino.

According to the federal report, Johnson referred to Latinos as “taco eaters” prone to drinking, drug dealing and other crimes. He ordered special roadblocks in neighborhoods were Latinos live, during which those with brown skin were stopped while whites were waved through.

• pdgrey says:

I was reminded of Richard Nixon’s over make-up in the JFK/ Nixon debates. Bad make-up job and funny as hell. You can really see the poor make-up because of his ears.

2. roofingbird says:

I hope you know that I am not a Romney fan. However, I don’t like the direction some of his coverage is going. The whole hair die business smacks of that Obama face darkening photo that Clinton was accused of in that Daily Kos plant.

Look at the color of the overall photo where Romney’s hair appears browner-it’s more yellow and would change his hair color. I’ve seen other photos where Romney’s hair appears more brown and I know my father’s similar hair sometimes did that depending on the gel he used.

Think of McCain’s photo in his middle east campaign trip where people though he was sick because he appeared very white. It was probably zinc oxide sun protection-highly reflective. UTube can’t be trusted and and neither can photos.

I don’t want Romney win, but I don’t want to be lead either, and I am becoming increasingly suspicious of the Obama team in this regard.

So what if he died his hair. There are other things to hate about him. Thank you JJ, for bringing it up and letting me vent about this.

• roofingbird says:

Dye.

Doesn’t it make you wonder why we were subjected to this kind of an observation from the DU? I didn’t see the broadcast. Was it bilingual? Was it translated? Do we know what the message was? Is it something Obama doesn’t want to address and the message has been stifled this way?

You see where my suspicious mind goes. As I recall, the DU was not particularly friendly to Clinton either.

• RalphB says:

The post is from gawker. It’s supposed to be funny I would imagine. I didn’t take the stuff from DU seriously in ’08 so why start now?

• roofingbird says:

Now that I have opened my eyes and reread your story it’s even worse. Face dye indeed.

• roofingbird says:

Is it easier to swallow when it isn’t our candidate? It makes me angry all over again. Was it BB that pointed out the switch in a recent NYT article? SFGate used to do it all the time under the guise of “updating”. Stuff gets sent to Huffpo that is printed, but not verified, and we only have blogs to trust. It doesn’t take much to herd or turn public sentiment if it’s well orchestrated. I know you are in charge of own mind RalphB, but we are all at some stage of learning.

It didn’t take much to start riots in the Middle East this month.

• ANonOMouse says:

Here’s an ABC video from the Univision interview. Everyone can decide for themselves what they think happened to Romney’s face. I think it’s just a poor makeup job. Near the end of the video there’s a very good profile shot and it’s obvious that Mitt has something on his face, you can clearly see the color line or makeup line.

• roofingbird says:

Thanks for the partial clip, ANonOMouse. It was bilingual and translated. So, from what we can tell, it was yada yada yada.

A permanent solution, but not elucidated, and in favor of man/woman marriage.

He said one barely heard interesting thing – he is not in favor of deporting 12 million people. I wonder how that plays in Obamaland.

• RalphB says:

It didn’t take much to start riots in the Middle East this month.

Rioting wingnuts? Over what looks like a joke about a weird makeup job. Really?

3. RalphB says:

Great links JJ. I’d like to add this from Ed Kilgore at Political Animal

GOP House At Risk?

It’s been safe, not to say superstitious, to discount the occasional happy-talk from Democrats this year about the possibility of retaking control of the U.S. House.
    [...]
    But now comes Sam Wang of the Princeton Election Consortium with a careful and credible analysis projecting that if the election were held today, Democrats would win back the House by a 16-seat margin.
    [...]
    But gotta ask, if you think conservatives are going to be insanely frustrated if Barack Obama is re-elected, how freaked out will they be if John Boehner has to hand the gavel back to Nancy Pelosi? Talk about blame-shifting and endless recrimination!

4. Fannie says:

Oh, I see no 90 day extension for the farmers. Got it, fuck the 47%. The farmers can kiss their asses as far as drought and crop insurance is concerned. We truly need to get these nuts out of politics.

5. Pat Johnson says:

The issue is that even if Obama wins in November, and the possibility of holding onto the Senate with maybe an increase of one or two new members, the House will not drastically change.

So we are possibly looking at another Speaker term for Boehner or his replacement to be none other than Eric Cantor which will provide the same gridlock we have been living with all along.

Unless the House gets hit with a tsunami in the form of a complete rejection of the present GoP congressman, I don’t see much progress about to occur.

They will again focus on 2016 in hopes of winning back the WH along with an increase in the Senate because this gridlock worked so well this time around.

It will become another “here we go again” since the House is the one that usually sets the legislative agenda so it will either be Boehner trying to control his Tea Partiers or Cantor working in concert with them.

My bet is on Cantor as the new Speaker.

6. pdgrey says:

I know we all have had problems sometimes with Harry Reid but this is just a Honey Badger move! And I say Yea!

7. ecocatwoman says:

One more sad state of affairs to share: http://www.treehugger.com/slideshows/endangered-species/giraffes-horses-squirrels-20-animals-you-didnt-know-are-going-extinct/

Check out the photos of some of the animals that may soon disappear except in photos.

• pdgrey says:

It is the loss of biodiversity that most alarms me about climate change. Estimates are that species extinctions are occurring at rates between 100 times and 1000 times faster than if we weren’t altering the natural climate.
      This was a good comment on that link,ecocatwoman.

• ecocatwoman says:

After posting this link, I went to C-Span to see if the debate tonight was being prepped. Ed Markey was calling out the Repugs for their War on Science. Truth? Fact? Why bother? Who cares if people are dying from the toxins coming out of coal fired power plants? It’s the Repugs who don’t care. ACKKKKKKKKKK!

8. pdgrey says:

ANonOMosue thanks for the clip, I still think it’s funny and he looks like Richard Nixon in the JFK/Nixon debates. I also think the Obama people probably think him saying he would not deport 12 million people was heard as the flip-flopping lie it was.