Caturday Morning Playhouse

“Dirty Harry meets Chairry!” via Pee-wee Herman’s Facebook

Morning, Caturday enthusiasts!

My political junkie cred may be compromised here, but I have to be honest with y’all. The only thing I watched from the RNC was the latter half of Ann Romney’s speech, and even that grated. And, that was purely to keep abreast of how the media reacts to a woman in politics, whether I agree with the woman in question or not. I found Molly Ball’s preview in advance of Mrs. Romney’s performance in the Atlantic to be strange. Even if the content of her speech had my eyes locked in the roll position, Ann Romney is a competent communicator and doesn’t need to be judged by such outdated, binary standards. Then again, those standards are very much the view of women in the party she and her husband are choosing to work for…so I guess it’s a wash.

Again, I couldn’t bring myself to watch anything else from that dastardly GOP propaganda fest. I hear Clint Eastwood really cross-examined the heck outta Chairry though.

Oh, and this ThinkProgress list of omissions from Romney’s speech is rather useful. I’m glad I didn’t waste my time watching him speak, because the omissions tell me what I really need to know.

The fun stuff is yet to happen in Charlotte in a few days anyway. Bring on the BILL CLINTON CONVENTION! An excerpt from the Market Watch preview of the DNC lineup at the link:

Here’s a look at some of the speakers Democrats will showcase in Charlotte.

Michelle Obama. The president’s wife, a lawyer with degrees from Princeton and Harvard universities, has followed the pattern of most first ladies by avoiding controversial issues. She has focused her time on healthier eating and support for military families and is more popular in the polls than her husband. Yet Michelle Obama, 48, is now hitting the road frequently in a bid to shore up support among the party’s faithful while reaching out to independents.

She’s told voters her husband will do a better job to protect the middle class and make sure Americans have access to affordable health care.

Bill Clinton. The two-term president has had a rocky relationship with President Obama, but he will formally nominate the current commander in chief on Wednesday. Clinton’s popularity has risen sharply since he left office in 2001, and polls indicate he is looked upon fondly by middle-class voters who remember the prosperity of his time in office.

Obama is particularly vulnerable among white working-class voters and would like to associate his policies with those of Clinton.

Yet Republicans spot an opportunity to argue Obama is well to the left of the nation’s 42nd president. In other words, he is no Bill Clinton.

Elizabeth Warren. The Wall Street critic is running for the Senate seat in Massachusetts that belonged to Ted Kennedy for 47 years. She is expected to defend Obama’s attempt to fix flaws in the U.S. financial system linked to the 2007 panic and following recession. Warren, a Harvard professor and bankruptcy expert, is likely to suggest the reforms will protect consumers from shady financial dealings.

Yet the nationally known Warren, a darling in liberal circles, is a lightning rod for criticism and may have trouble appealing to independents. She trails by five or six percentage points the moderate Republican incumbent, Scott Brown in the most recent pair of Massachusetts polls. Brown appears to have a big lead among unaffiliated voters.

Click on the link and over to page two to read about more speakers, including Sandra Fluke.

If you haven’t checked out the fascinating discussion going on over at Historiann’s yet–Women’s and gender history has menstrual blood smeared all over it. If you read this post, you too will be contaminated.–please do give it a click and look over this weekend! It is just exquisite. I plan to re-read it several times!

I’ll wrap this up with a blog piece from UC-Berkeley labor economist Sylvia Allegretto — This labor day … waiting for change:

Did you know that the federal sub-minimum wage received by tipped workers has been $2.13 per hour for the past 22 years? No joke, it has been and it is way past due for a change. The figure shows the inflation adjusted value of the regular federal minimum wage along with the sub-minimum wage received by tipped workers.

The sub-minimum wage was decoupled from the federal minimum and frozen at its current level in 1996*; prior to that it was at least 50 percent of the regular minimum. Today the sub-minimum wage is at the lowest share of the regular minimum on record — just 29.4%.

Click on over to see a nifty graph and read more.

Alright, Sky Dancers! Tag, you’re it. Your turn in the comments.

About these ads

32 Comments on “Caturday Morning Playhouse”

1. ecocatwoman says:

I too avoided both the RNC bull$hit fest as well as most of the analysis. Just couldn’t take it. Instead I just ranted on my latest blog post.

Loved the link to Historiann, just wish it had been longer. Both in history and too often in the present, women are simply accessories and/or furniture. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The other part of the inequity in tipped workers wages is that women wait staff are rarely employed in the high end, exclusive, expensive restaurants where the BIG tips are. Just another glass ceiling, one which is rarely part of the discussion.

Thanks for interesting reads this AM.

2. ANonOMouse says:

Good Morning and Happy POST-RNC. What a fiasco that was. I think it was JJ who called it a crapfest and indeed it was.

I thought y’all might like this glimpse of the un-scripted asshat MItt Romney.

Via Huffpost:

Mitt Romney To Flood Victim: ‘Go Home And Call 211′

“He just told me to, um, there’s assistance out there,” Chiarello said of her conversation with Romney. “He said, go home and call 211.” That’s a public service number offered in many states.

What? Go home and call 211? You mean go to the Flooded home and call 211, Mitt?

Next time stay in your campaign Jet Mitt, that way people won’t find out that you have all the empathy of a tree.

• RalphB says:

Rmoney can’t be bothered to provide useful information to The Help. He’s looking for a photo op, for pete’s sake.

3. ecocatwoman says:

Thought ya’ll might like this from Think Progress: http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/08/31/781511/rnc-delegate-offended-by-presence-of-mexican-at-disneys-epcot-center/

During a trip to Epcot at Disneyworld, Pennsylvania delegate Mark Harris and his wife were shocked and offended to find a Mexican employee working at the amusement park’s American pavilion, which showcases the different cultures in the United States. According to the couple’s blog, Harris complained to staff that he was “highly offended” that a “person from Mexico” was working in the American pavilion when other nations’ pavilions were staffed by people from each respective country:

4. ecocatwoman says:

What is more appropriate for a Caturday than a story on the 1st Cat Video Film Festival?

There is little doubt that internet cat videos are a popular phenomenon. People watch them over and over and share them with friends on social networks and YouTube. Thanks to the prestigious Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, cat videos became a contemporary art form when the gallery held the first-ever Internet Cat Video Film Festival.

Full story here, with links to the winning videos: http://www.care2.com/causes/internet-cat-video-film-festival-is-purr-fectly-successful.html

5. Pat Johnson says:

It isn’t just that Mitt is so excrutiatingly boring, it is that he is so out of touch as to be pathetic.

Speaking to a flood victim underscores that assessment more than ever because if you follow his logic in dialing 211 the caller would also be put in contact with a “government employee” put in place to aid these storm victims. At least I am assuming that this is who would be answering the phone for someone in need of help. I doubt that this was a taxi service.

The push to “invent Mitt” as having the same issues as the majority of people he desires to lead has gone beyond reality. Speaking to people as if they were morons defines his personality. He lacks whatever it takes to “connect” which is the simple fact of who he is.

He got it right by admitting “I am who I am”. For once, he hit the nail on the head.

• ANonOMouse says:

I agree Pat. MItt Romney has spent an entire campaign smearing those who look to government for solutions or for assistance and his novel solution to a flood victim is call 211?

And Paul Ryan, bitch-slapping government when he’s spent 13 years on the government payroll and while he and his family are enjoying the benefits of GOVERNMENT paid healthcare, is so hypocritcal.

6. Pat Johnson says:

I barely tuned into the crapfest but I did manage to see the following “mind blowing” speakers:

1. Clint Eastwood – allowing a self indulgent “icon” to make a fool of himself.

2. Ted Cruz – a glimpse of another Right Wing loon prancing across the stage is a preview of what he will be like should he win the Texas GOP Senate race. Ouch!

3. Newt and Bug Eyed Calista who looked like conjoined twins. Still unable to understand the “why” of this appearance.

Almost made me long for a Palin “speech”.

But having said that, it seems as though Mitt’s long awaited acceptance speech was overshadowed in the ratings as more viewers tuned into something called “Honey Boo Boo” on another cable network that garnered 3 million viewers, 2 million more that Mittens in his big moment.

Which either proves that we have lowered the bar to such an extent that a bratty child “beauty queen”, her 300+ lb mother, along with their family of slugs, prove more interesting than whatever Mitt has to offer, or what passes for entertainment today has reached an all time low.

Speaking of quitterella … she appears to have gotten a boob job. I can’t paste the pic because of my lack of power and internet for the computer but you can probably do a google and find it.

• Pat Johnson says:

She is beginning to look a “little seedy” lately which must strike a blow into the hearts of all those “fans”.

She is slapping on a variety of wigs that appear off kilter, as if was adjusting them in the dark without the aid of a mirror.

It may be she also had an eyebrow lift as well.

I’vs said this many times before: had she looked like Jan Brewer her appeal would have dimmed the day after the November 2008 election since she has never once made much sense.

She is the primary example of the patriarchy at work since she was never judged on the limitations of her brainpower as much as how good she looked when mincing across a stage.

7. janicen says:

Oh my, that picture of Clint talking to Chairry made my day! Now back to reading the links.

8. Fannie says:

I really like the article on women and gender history………….spot on. There is a petition that needs signatures for fellowships in women’s studies, do sign. Like you, I will re-read again, it will be up to women to stop them from freezing us out, and making us look like losers. We have, and we do tell our stories, because we really want things better for ALL.

9. Pilgrim says:

Part of my amusement next week, I expect, will be to observe the sharp difference in tone from the media. MSNBC has trumped Fox in the shrillness department. I imagine things will be kinder and gentler, benefit of doubt willingly given, with a perhaps a patina of reasonableness.

Enjoy the weekend, Skydancers, and recover from the RNC crap-fest. I’m off backpacking for 3 days to alpine lakes and heather slopes and grandiorite boulders and slabs. Mind-healing nature!
    Talk with you all when I get back.

11. RalphB says:

This is a brilliant article by Paul Constant, just the best. It sums up the RNC and gets to the heart of what moves the people there to be some kind of sub-modern American monsters. I don’t believe posting an excerpt could do it justice.

The Stranger: Stuck in a Room with Mitt Romney

• Pat Johnson says:

A pretty accurate portrayal of the essence that is today’s GOP.

Handing the keys to the nation over to this group and the corporate pirates is real fear.

• RalphB says:

Yes. A near panic mode seems to have taken them over. It would explain all the weird, obvious wrong, things they seem to believe about the Kenyan Socialist Muslim Commie anti-colonialist usurper invader black man in OUR White House.

• ecocatwoman says:

Thanks for sharing, Ralph. Excellent piece. I know I’ve completely blocked out the Ronnie years, except for the senility, so it seems to me that FEAR became the mantra during the King George II regime. Terrorists lurking everywhere. They could be your neighbor, your co-worker, your brother-in-law and so on. Maybe Xanax along with the fluoride in the water is the solution????

12. peregrine says:

FORWARD! —

Here is a site featuring Charlotte’s Labor Day festival send-off to the first day of the Democratic Convention, and other links:

• RalphB says:

Looks like the Democrats are going to do it up right. It looks like a lot of fun. Hope they don’t have such heavy handed security as was in Tampa.

Hey every one! Thanks to Wonk and JJ for holding up the place while I wait for the stupid electric company to do their job. I’m so happy when I get a few moments when I can come catch up with things!!!