Romney Career Advice Open Thread

Gov. John Kasich and Mitt Romney at Otterbein U.

Yesterday, presumed Republican Presidential standard bearer Mitt Romney managed a stunning quadruple-gaffe. In one “lecture” at Ohio’s Otterbein University he demonstrated his ignorance about ordinary American families, his disdain for working people, and his cluelessness about the American economy. On top of that, he managed to put his audience to sleep! Watch the video and note the dozing students behind Romney:

Yes, Jimmy John’s! Romney’s pal Jimmy John Liautaud started a sandwich store franchise in 1983 with a $25,000 loan from his dad. Romney advised Otterbein students to do the same:

Accusing the president of attacking successful Americans, Romney urged students to borrow money from their parents — as John did — if they need to do so to succeed in starting their own businesses.

“Even now, I believe you’re watching a president who is trying to deflect and divert from his record by trying to find ways to, if you will, attack fellow Americans, between rich and poor, and other dimensions,” said Romney. “This kind of divisiveness, this attack of success, is very different than what we’ve seen in our country’s history.”

“We’ve always encouraged young people, take a shot, go for it, take a risk, get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents, start a business,” he said.

Of course! Because everyone has parents with an extra $25,000 lying around. Why didn’t I think of that? It’s a simple answer to the economic crisis–stop attacking rich people and borrow money from your rich parents instead.

And be like Jimmy John’s–a company cited for illegal labor practices! Great idea!

Judge Rules Jimmy John’s Must Re-Hire Workers Fired for Sick Leave Complaints

A National Labor Relations Board administrative law judge has ruled six former Minneapolis Jimmy John’s sandwich shop employees must be re-hired and paid back wages.

The workers in question said if they called in sick and couldn’t find replacements for their shifts they risked being fired. So, they started warning Jimmy John’s customers that they could be eating sandwiches made by under-the-weather sandwich makers….

Davis Ritsema, one of the fired workers, explained how sick leave policy challenge began. “One day I was coughing and had a high temperature, but I felt pressured to work.”

Mike Wilkow, another former Jimmy John’s worker, added, “I was vomiting and handling sandwiches. They made me stay until the end of my shift.”

Yes, take Mitt Romney’s advice: borrow money from your wealthy parents, hire minimum-wage workers and deny them sick leave. That’ll help the economy recover!

Romney also attacked Obama’s economic stimulus, apparently unaware that Otterbein University received more than $80,000 in stimulus funds used for a federal work-study program.

ROMNEY: Then there was the stimulus itself. $787 billion of borrowing. It could have been entirely focused on getting getting the private sector to buy capital equipment, for instance. That puts people to work. Or to hire people. Instead, it primary [sic] protected people in the governmental sector, which is probably the sector that should have been shrinking.

Of course, as Dr. Dakinikat has repeatedly explained, businesses aren’t going to invest capital in equipment to produce products when Americans have so little money to spend. Furthermore, Ohio college are now suffering the loss of stimulus funds, because Governor Kasich, who accompanied Romney at Otterbein, hasn’t done anything to replace them.

What’s on your mind this lovely Saturday morning?

About these ads

16 Comments on “Romney Career Advice Open Thread”

While Romney was telling student how horrible the economy is, Kasich touted improvements in the economy.

Kasich, in introducing Romney, didn’t miss a chance to turn to his favorite talking points about how Ohio’s economy has been improving and jobs are growing in the 16 months he has been governor, noting his administration’s efforts in helping to retain and attract jobs at American Greetings and Diebold in Northeast Ohio.

And during a photo-op lunch with Romney, Kasich and seven Otterbein students before Romney’s speech, Kasich told the students that Ohio has more than 80,000 open jobs, each listed on a website maintained by Kasich’s office. The message didn’t mix well with Romney’s 40-minute speech bashing the economy.

The two also at times seemed like strangers during their lunch with students. Romney asked one student if he decided to attend Otterbein to follow in Kasich’s footsteps. Kasich regularly notes that he attended Ohio State University, the very reason he came to Ohio from Pennsylvania four decades ago.

Boston sports news: Red Sox defeat White Sox, win fifth straight game!

• Pat Johnson says:

I know!

Am trying to keep my enthusiasm to a minimum since they are bound to break our hearts, but Coby Ross and Big Papi are “breaking bats”!

Am heading your way today for a birthday celebration and you know how much I “love” the Pike! At least the Red Sox are out of town and I won’t have to fight the traffic too much.

Great post, btw. I always feel fully informed.

3. ANonOMouse says:

Maybe some of those college students can borrow $25k for a business start-up from the indigent, George Zimmerman pay-pal account. After taking $54 for his personal living expenses, he has an extra $150K laying around, With that he could help start-up 6 businesses.
    Or those students could ask Daddy & Mommie to give them some stock to chip-away at.

You have to wonder if the Romney Class understand that many families couldn’t give their children $250 to start a business, let alone $25k. The guy is just unbelievably out of touch with ordinary people.

Good idea, but I don’t think either George or his attorney is the generous type.

• ANonOMouse says:

BB….I believe you mentioned in a recent comment that you grew up poor. I grew up very poor too (although I didn’t know I was poor until I was grown). It never even dawned on me to ask family for money. Just the notion that Romney thinks most young adults have the option of mommie/daddy bailout, is just stunning. What a disconnected snob he is.

We weren’t poverty-stricken, but my dad was a grad student with three daughters early on. We never went without food or clothing, etc. I never thought we were poor either. It’s just in retrospect that I realized my parents struggled for years.

Something Mitt Romney should read: Lack of Demand explains why businesses aren’t investing in U.S.

• RalphB says:

You would think everyone would know that by now. It’s so obvious I don’t know how you could miss that simple fact.

5. Pilgrim says:

Politicians should be careful about putting students/young people behind them. I have also seen footage of Mr. Obama with sleepy people behind him.

6. So, my thought on his comment about borrowing money from parents, was that he completely is blind to the fact that not everyone has money…parents today are struggling too. From someone who has been raised in an upper lower class family, to being part of the group of folks making 375,000 a year, to being just 10 bucks above the stipulated monthly income for poverty…families need to pool together to help each other out.

I guess my experience is such that families help those members that need it. My kids would be living in a cardboard box if it wasn’t for my family. There was a time when my Grandmother would pay for my shoes when I needed a pair of black sneakers for my new waitress job. She did it because I had no way to pay for it myself…she did it because she wanted to help me succeed.

A couple years ago, when the shit hit the fan in my family, my parents fed and clothed my kids…we had nothing, my husband was working part-time (because they would not hire full time) nights at a local restaurant as a dishwasher, making 6 bucks an hour and cutting grass during the day. He barely made enough to pay our mortgage, the house ended up being foreclosed on anyway.

My mother-in-law owns two houses free and clear, one in Florida and one in up-state New York. She had no problem seeing her grandchildren in need, well…she doesn’t see them anyway. She has not seen her son’s kids for 6 years, even though she drives right past them twice a year when she goes back and forth between houses. (I have even offered to meet her at the I75 exit so she can have lunch or dinner with the kids. Her response was “I’m not going to do that.”)

I just don’t subscribe to the notion of letting your kids starve when you can afford to help them out. It works both ways, if the kids are able to support their parents, when they have no money, they should do it. As it is, the only thing my family has is each other, my family and my parents and brother all live together and pool our money for expenses and if we did not help each other both families would be homeless.

• Romney is blind to his own reflection, frankly. The guy has no clue.

I totally agree with you JJ. Your mother-in-law sounds like a very unhappy person. The most important thing in my life is my family.

Isn’t strange how so often the supposed “family values” party seems to believe in every person for him or herself?

I can’t get inside Romney’s head because he’s too foreign to me. Maybe he thinks only people with rich parents deserve a chance?