Caturday Reads

Morning, news junkies!

Some food for thought to go with your morning cuppa’…

At this point, she was very fearful for her life, but knew that she had to at least get her cell phone to call for help. That’s when she grabbed a gun, for which she had a concealed weapon permit. When she walked back into the kitchen area, she saw her husband again, who was supposed to be leaving through another door with his two sons (her stepsons). When he saw her, she says he screamed “bitch, I’ll kill you” and charged at her. She then pointed her weapon at the ceiling, turned her head and shot in the air. That scared her husband off.

But, he promptly called the police and told them that she shot the gun at him and his sons. She was taken to jail where she has been sitting ever since.

Women represented just over one-fifth (21.7%) of guests on Sunday morning news talk shows airing on NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, and Fox News in 2011 according to American University School of Public Affairs Women and Politics Institute.

The turnout in the first round of the French presidential election was more than 80%. The last time that number went to the polls in the UK was 1951. Why do so many French vote?

Your turn, Sky Dancers! What’s on your Read ‘n Rant list this weekend?

About these ads

56 Comments on “Caturday Reads”

Love the kitty cartoon, Wonk! Thanks for the news updates too…

• it’s a very accurate diagram :)

lol. I don’t think any of my cats have used my leg as a scratching post, but I’ve had kittens that grabbed my pants legs and skirt hems.

• Lily grabs affectionately…but her grabs result in scratches… ;)

• RalphB says:

It reminds me of cats I’ve had. I think the diagram is quite accurate. ;-)

Kittehs can be trained to not scratch. Helps if they have a cat tree or something else with a tantalizingly scratchable surface — mine like those cardboard strip boards. And if they get their claws trimmed.

One still reaches out to “snag” my attention –sounds like Lily– when he wants attention. Those aloof creatures!

• Oh they’ve got three different scratchers–a two-piece hammock, a flat cardboard one, and a curved emery board, Lol. And, they get their claws trimmed… Lily is just a silly.

It usually takes kittens awhile to learn to pull in their claws when they’re playing.

• Well, I have never had a cat…but I still can relate to the graphic. I still have scars from my friends cat when I had to take care of her one time.

Yeah, I forgot it takes the cat babies a while to figure out to keep claws sheathed. Haven’t had to break a new one in for a while and the last babycat, in spite of being mostly Siamese, is a gentle soul and has never clawed his humans.

• ecocatwoman says:

No rational cat person would wear a dress. Jeans – always jeans. And sleeveless? I don’t think so. And since this cat girl doesn’t have a nose, I’m going to guess that was nibbled off. My Cagney is a nose biter. I’ve resorted to sleeping with my face covered.

Ears, too! And earrings can be cat toys.

• ecocatwoman says:

Dear departed Clark frequently tried to nurse on my earlobes when he was a kitten. That was a BIG No-No. He was one of my leaping lizards – he would leap/fly through the air, whether or not I was paying attention – when he wanted to be held. I miss that. No leapers in the house now. Funny thing – all my leapers were boys!

• Lol… cat people in hot humid Houston don’t often have that luxury/choice…

• I can live with the scratches… but not without the kitties. :)

Connie,

I had a cat once who could do a standing high jump and land on top of the refrigerator.

• HT says:

Connie, address please. I need to know where I can send Zeke. He craves constant attention, decides what part of my meal is worth eating, crowds me out on a queen size bed for chrissakes (and I have no bedmates other than Milly who is crowding me on the other side), chews anything that means anything to me (he seems to have an innate understanding of what I love and seeks to destroy) and sits on my keyboard in front of the monitor when I’m trying to answer my e-mail. He attempts to escape out the door every time I open it (he’s declawed and as such is confined to the house and backyard), he waits till I get to sleep, then yowls to wake me up and when I pay attention to him, he raises his tail, sniffs and walks off, as if to indicate the he is King of the House. and frankly, he is King of the House. He beats up on Milly – a dog who outweighs him by 30 pounds. Some cats were born to be dictators.

• ecocatwoman says:

Isn’t Zeke the cat your son took with him when he moved out? Mine don’t go outside. Once they do, it becomes a constant gymnastic drama to get out the door without them escaping. Cats do make better trainers than trainees. I think it’s time for you to call Jackson Galaxy.

• HT says:

Connie: Yeah, Zeke went to Son’s place. Son lasted for three weeks – Zeke yowled every day all day (which he had never done before). Zeke knew where he was King and wanted to get back to his realm. Now I’m stuck, and he’s not even my cat. He’s my daughter’s cat. Zounds.
        Would love Jackson, but I can’t afford the Cat Whisperer and frankly, I think Zeke would be immune. I must be a really easy target.

• ecocatwoman says:

My best guess is that Zeke is punishing you for allowing him to be kidnapped by your son. I’m thinking maybe a shrine, with appropriate daily offerings (fried chicken, LOTS of catnip, several hours of one on one play). You may, in fact, have to curl up at the foot of the bed to show Zeke that you are truly remorseful for committing such a grievous sin. BTW, I think Jackson does phone consultations.

• HT says:

Connie: Thanks for the advice. I laughed so hard, Zeke was dislodged from the keyboard. As for you suggestions, while they may be the best way to solve the situation, naugonnahappen in this lifetime.

• ecocatwoman says:

One final suggestion then. Go stay with a friend for a couple of days & let your kids come over to feed, water, walk, scoop, whatever while you are gone. Zeke, although, he may ignore you for a few days when you get home, he’s likely to appreciate the fact that you came home. Reverse psychology. When I was in the hospital in 2010 for 23 days, friends came over to care for the critters (hallelujah). I was gone too long, obviously, because most of the cats looked at me like “who are you & why are you here? We were fine without you. What happened to those nice people?” It took about a week for them to welcome me back into the fold.

• Yeah that image is fantastic!

2. RalphB says:

On voting rates, I like the Australian method in that by law you are required to vote. That’s the only way we’d ever get the disadvantaged and discouraged to vote here. Though I don’t know how it would effect results, at least whoever was elected would have a real mandate.

• ecocatwoman says:

I’m with you Ralph. One former FL Congressman said a couple of years ago that, at best, about 25% of the registered voters decide elections. It’s all about turn-out, which is what i wish at least one of the pundidiot shows would report along with the # of votes for each candidate. Over the years I’ve heard so many people say “my vote won’t count.” No, it won’t if you don’t vote. If someone would treat voting like the lottery or gambling, giving the odds of your vote counting, maybe more people would participate. Plus if the supervisors of elections would go out & get people registered in poorer areas, where people don’t have access to easy transportation & then return with a mobile “voting booth” that could increase participation. But, that’s exactly what elected officials don’t want to happen. They don’t want workers or the unemployed to vote.

• I might be more in favor of compulsory voting if there was a NOTA (None of the Above) option on the ballot… http://nota.org/

• I used to be of the school of thought that says — your vote is obviously wasted if you don’t use it. But, right now, it’s the only way to register a rejection of both choices. Protest voting is not for me…I tried it in ’08 and did not find it constructive.

Protest voting in ’08 was a different matter. Obama’s not governing much differently than McCain’s stances. But now? Romney’s much worse. And at least Cindy McCain did some philanthropy with her millions, instead of whining about how hard she has it.

Will look at the NOTA link.

• RalphB says:

NOTA is simply not viable. Politicians don’t care at all if you don’t vote. Why give the bastards what they really want of your own volution?

• I think pols do care about turnout of their constituencies.

• why do you think the women’s vote is all the focus? Just look at the 2010 election returns.

• RalphB says:

Really? What do you think is the purpose behind all the negative ads? It’s not to get your own people out to vote, it’s to depress turnout for your opponent. Don’t fall for it.

• well if you’re asking me, I think the purpose of negative ads is specifically to erode the opponent’s “favorables”… which yes will have the effect of depressing turnout…but will also have the boomerang effect of upping one’s own turnout. If you demonize one candidate enough, people will believe the lesser evil is actually saving them from something. JMHO.

I’m not falling for anything… I hope y’all know me better than that.

• HT says:

Something has to be done to get people to understand that their vote DOES count, so get off their butkis and VOTE. When you see the voting versus population percentages after any election, these politicians are elected with much less than 50% of the voting eligible people. Let’s say 53% of the people who voted elected a senator, and yet only 45% of eligible voters voted, then you have a government that rules over 340million people elected by approximately 24% of the populace. That is very frightening.

I’d love to believe my vote counts, but as long as we have the electoral college, it really doesn’t count in most presidential races. You vote only really counts if you live in one of the swing states, and I don’t.

• HT says:

Understand about the electoral college however it only applies to the presidential election, right? The vote for Senate and Congress does count, or am I totally clueless?

3. northwestrain says:

Update on my travels. We heading back to Western Washington today.

On this trip I’ve seen extreme poverty — strip malls empty except for Dollar Stores. Lots of furniture stores are closed — these stores were in the process of having going out of business sells a year and a half ago. There are all sorts of second hand and thrift stores in strip malls or in old houses near the shopping districts.

There are so many almost homeless in the RV parks — people who can’t afford heat for their RVs. In Arizona people can park off the road just about anywhere on public lands. So we saw lots of people living in trailers, campers etc (called dry camping). I guess these people buy water at one of the many wells that sell water by the gallon.

Utah in general is doing better than the other states of the Four Corners. There is still poverty but often it is hidden. I’m not sure where all the people in the huge, expensive homes in Southern Utah do for a living. Someplace in Utah the US Government had established an center to collect every bit of data on US citizens. I believe the article was in Cnet.com as well as other news sites.

As usual the Indian Reservations have the poorest of the poor. Very old cars, tiny dwellings — and lots of signs about getting loans on car titles.

No one seems to be very excited about the election season. I’ve only seen one sign for Romney — in a LDS yard. No signs for 0bama — not a one. Much different than 4 years ago. I have seen dozens of signs for Ron Paul.

In the west nearly everyone has an RV in their yard or in storage. I’m beginning to think that these are the back up homes as more people are bound to lose their homes under one of the two Republicans who are running for Prez. Too many folks are living close to the line — according to reports I’ve been reading — many people are one pay check away from poverty.

I’ve sensed a lot of anger among the women I’ve talked to. I joined several fiber arts groups and any talk of politics is off limits. But the general remarks I heard about all politicians were negative. 0bama will not be able to tap into this anger — as by his actions he is seen as the enemy along with most other male politicians. Everyone of the women said that they were not talking to anyone trying to poll them about politics. If they do vote for anyone I doubt that they will even speak to anyone doing exit polling. I’m wondering how the companies doing the political polling are finding women to talk to — or are the numbers being invented by the companies????

Meanwhile, far away from the RV parks and their nearly homeless:

Calls for reforming Wall Street pay packages reverberated across Washington and the financial district following the disclosure that 50 Lehman Bros. employees were awarded nearly $700 million in the year before the investment bank collapsed. …

The 50 employees were awarded more than $1.6 billion in cash and stock in the three years preceding Lehman’s demise in September 2008.

“It never ceases to amaze me,” said Phil Angelides, chairman of the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission. “You clearly have corporate leadership that’s out of control, reckless without accountability and, in the course of driving the firm over the cliff, they’re taking as much money as they can out of it.”

“Reverberated”? Maybe in an empty room. Wish something would come of it.

Cool! Internal GPS. I want that.

Bird brains? Study shows they’re highly attuned to magnetic field

6. RalphB says:

Joe Nocera has a very good editorial in the NYT today about the 401K being a failed experiment.

My Faith-Based Retirement

My 60th birthday is less than a week and a half away, and if there is one thing I can say with certainty it’s that 60 is not the new 50.
    […]
    The only thing I haven’t dealt with on my to-do checklist is retirement planning. The reason is simple: I’m not planning to retire. More accurately, I can’t retire. My 401(k) plan, which was supposed to take care of my retirement, is in tatters.

• “I’m not planning to retire. More accurately, I can’t retire. ”

That says it all.

• HT says:

Having been retired, and watching as my retirement investments were more than decimated, I can relate. I doubt that I ever made as much money as Mr. Nocera ergo, at least he still has an income with which he can try to recoup. For those of us who have no jobs, are unlikely to be able to get a job and for those people who haven’t had the wherewithal to invest anywhere because every cent was taken up by merely living day to day, the results are catastrophic.

7. gxm17 says:

Hi Everyone! Lurking as always, but just wanted to mention that Marissa Alexander has a change.org petition that needs more signatures.

8. Pilgrim says:

I almost never get a cold or flu or like that, but now I am experiencing what I guess is a sore throat. Is garlic good for that?