Lazy CaturdayPosted: March 31, 2012
Good morning, news junkies… I’m sort of figuring out how to do a photo bomb more space-efficiently, and I’m not particularly fond of the “slideshow” feature on wordpress… so I’m trying out the “gallery” feature instead. I’ve only used it a couple times before, so let’s see how this works out! (If you’re familiar with the slideshow format and prefer that over this, let me know…!)
Oh, and… it’s still my birthday week. So the link dump (following the Lily+Rue photo spree) is gonna be really paltry this Saturday! Enjoy the less-homework like recommended reading while it lasts… ;)
Click on thumbnails to view photos:
Super shrinked Linkage (any puns, unfortunate):
- Quote of the Week — Chelsea Clinton introducing Sandra Fluke: “She and I actually have something in common: We both have been attacked by Rush Limbaugh. She was 30, I was 13 […] Thankfully, I had grown up in public life and knew that having thick skin was a survival skill […] I do also believe that if you have the right type of enemies, you’re doing something correct.” (Atta Clinton!)
- PBS Newshour’s Judy Woodruff remembering feminist poet Adrienne Rich, in her own words (along with banjo player Earl Scruggs). Poignant way to conclude women’s history month this year.
- Money buys health? Gee, really? Who woulda thunk it… via Black Women’s Health Imperative, #HeartHealth: Less Heart Disease Among Women in Wealthier States: Study
- MUST SEE YOUTUBE!!! Sadly–or hilariously, this is the highlight of my news junkie week: Arrested Drunk Guy Sings Bohemian Rhapsody… be sure to watch all the way to the end where he says “Do you have to cuff me” and the punchline that follows! (Also note: Post continues after the youtube embed…)
- LOVE LOVE LOVE the photo lead-in of Historiann’s Thursday round-up this week! Nice informative post, too.
- Tainted Earth: “Whether low doses of endocrine-disrupting compounds influence human disorders is no longer conjecture, as epidemiological studies show that environmental exposures are associated with human diseases and disabilities,” the paper’s authors write. The study, published in the journal Endocrine Reviews, maintains that the low-dose and special dose-response effects of hormone-disrupting chemicals means that “fundamental changes in chemical testing and safety determination are needed to protect human health.”
- Did Keith O’ really get Spitzer’d from Current TV already? Lulz.
Today (March 31) in Women’s History:
- Event: 03-31-1776, Abigail Adams wrote her husband when he was in Philadlphia helping plan the Declaration of Independence:
“Remember the Ladies, and be more generous and favourable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of Husbands. Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could… If particular care and attention is not paid to the Ladies we are determined to foment a Rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice, or Representation.”
Okay, before I go, I have a question for the Cat Peeps segment of our Sky Dancing population (I’m pretty sure that segment is upwards of 80% of our community… ;) )… Anyhow, here’s the q: How do I get Lily to eat her dental treats? She won’t bite! Rue is eating all of them! (Alas, ’twas the same story with the pill pockets…) Is there something else I can use/apply on Lily besides dental treats? I’m talking to her vet, too, of course! Just want all the help I can get.
Alrighty, guys! I’m gonna wrap this baby up and turn the soapbox over to y’all… what’s on your Read+Rant list this Saturday?