Introducing…Caturday Reads

Did someone say "Ikea" and "assemble"? Look at how fast my delivery cats are out the door ( "...those cats were fast as lightning...") Photo: L+R, yesterday.

Morning, news junkies!

A tentative solution to my blogger tardiness:

• Saturday link dump interspersed with Lily+Rue kitty photos
  • Photo bomb at the end of “Caturday” post as time allows
  • Hillary Sundaes at least once or twice a month!

I hope this works out better. I miss y’all bigtime! And, hope to be back to participating in the comments more.

Linkage is super short today! But, I hope adequate to get the morning conversation ball rolling…

• I so would have rather had a Governor Kay Bailey than a Guv. Goodhair: “Breaking ranks with her party, U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison on Thursday urged Gov. Rick Perry — her erstwhile gubernatorial rival — to work with the Obama administration to keep federal money flowing to the Women’s Health Program, which has been caught in a crossfire between the state and the feds over state support for Planned Parenthood.” [Source: Texas Tribune]
  • Mysterious Chinese Fossils May Be New Human Species [Live Science]
  • Orphaned Owlets Raised by a Friendly Park Keeper [6 Pictures] [Terribly Cute]

L+R, Tuesday. "Naptime is so over"

• I love the Dogs Against Mitt Romney / #IRideInside movement, and I love this video! Be sure to click on that if you need a pick-me-up.
  • Don’t think I’ll have time for the Hillary post this Sunday, so I’ll end with Hill… and Kirsten Gillibrand! Kirsten says Hillary should run in 2016 [Buzzfeed]…I say IF Hillary runs, then we all know who I am voting, campaigning, and volunteering my ass off for. However, barring a sudden conversion from Hillary on the question of her future in electoral politics, I personally say… Gillibrand 2016!

Ok, that’s all I got for now! Maybe I’ll throw in some more links and kitty pics in the comments if I get time later in the morning/day. YOUR TURN, Sky Dancers! What’s on your read+rant+recommend list this lovely Caturday?

About these ads

44 Comments on “Introducing…Caturday Reads”

1. Love this too!

**Inspiring video** Ban Ki-moon: The Time Has Come. REMIX!

2. RalphB says:

Kay would have been so much better! Love the kittys.

• Hi Ralph, yes! I am really glad, though not surprised to see her put women first. Perry doesn’t even know which of his feet to put in front of the other…

3. Here’s the Dogs Against Romney / Ride Inside video, if you didn’t click over yet:

4. Oh, my but those baby burrowing owls are too precious for words.

And your babies are getting so big. Darlings, both.

I wish the Dogs Ride Inside video was longer, but it sure was clever.

5. RalphB says:

Warming-Fueled Texas Drought Cost Farmers $7.6 Billion: ‘No One Alive Has Seen Single-Year Drought Damage To This Extent’

Texas Agronomists have revised estimates for the cost of Texas’ devastating drought, finding that it cost the agricultural sector $2 billion more than originally thought.

According to the Texas AgriLife Extension Service, the Texas drought has caused $7.62 billion in damages to crops and farming operations. That’s up from $5.3 billion reported last August.

Texas State Climatologist John Nielsen-Gammon explained last September:

Warmer temperatures lead to greater water demand, faster evaporation, and greater drying-out of potential fuels for fire. Thus, the impacts of the drought were enhanced by global warming, much of which has been caused by man.

Wonder if Perry likes the state climatologist’s statement :-)

Oh my, those owlets are adorable. I’m still watching the two eagles’ nests in Iowa. There are two little babies in one nest already. Can you believe those nests are 6-7 feet long, wide and deep?

7. RalphB says:

David Maraniss has an interesting story, fwiw.

Clinton and Obama: Presidential parallels

They were born on August days 15 years apart, at opposite ends of the baby-boom generation, Bill Clinton in 1946 and Barack Obama in 1961. Both came into the world under circumstances that made it surpassingly unlikely either boy would grow up to be president of the United States. It is hard to imagine two places further from the centers of power than southwestern Arkansas or Hawaii. Neither state had produced a president before. But there was so much more working against them than geography.

William Jefferson Blythe III and Barack Hussein Obama II were the namesakes of fathers they did not know. Billy’s dad, a traveling salesman from Texas, was killed in a car crash before his son was born. Barry’s old man, a traveling student from western Kenya, also died in a car crash. His son was 21 then but had never lived with his father. Both boys’ mothers created myths about their fathers to ease the pain; in truth, the sons were almost certainly better off without them.

8. SweetSue says:

Wonk, check out this month’s “More” magazine with Julianna Margulies on the cover. There’s a wonderful article about our Madame Secretary and “her secret weapon.”
    Great pictures, too.
    Your kitties are so cute and your joy in them leaps off the page.

9. RalphB says:

It’s kind of rainy here this morning and I saw some old guys like me wearing hoodies. I’m surprised there wasn’t a bloodbath. Luckily I doubt anyone had Skittles.

• RalphB says:

Good grief, this is a horrible number.

Of the 116,385 children and teens killed by a gun since 1979 when gun data was first collected by age, 44,038 were black – nearly 13 times more than the number of recorded lynchings of black people of all ages in the 86 years from 1882 to 1968. But more white than black children and teens have died from gun violence which threatens all in America everywhere.

10. MHP did a segment on Growing Up Black on today’s show. She had some absolutely appalling stats. Unfortunately, the video isn’t up on her site yet. I’ll continue to check for it, in the event anyone here missed it.

11. RalphB says:

Another reason to like Jim Yong Kim for the World Bank. Try and imagine Larry Summers in this context. :-)