Sunday Reads: A Little Calf Wobbles, Women and Livestock

Next thing you know, men will have us corseted up and dressed head to toe...in a much more ladylike fashion.

Good Sunday Morning…

The past few days have been a mixed blessing. Our internet has been very fickle, the tech says it is something to do with parcels of packets. What ever that means…the connection gets so slow, and it is sporadic. And the “high tech” guys aren’t too good at getting back to us and letting us know the status of our repair ticket.

Personally, I think they aren’t going to do a thing. We have some new high-speed thing, your stimulus dollars at work, that they are working on now here in Banjoville. Maybe that is why it is so messed up now.

Anyway, due to this slow internet my post will be on the thin side. (As far as links are concerned.)

As I was saying, not being online has been a treat. I know that all that will end on Monday, when the GOP get back to their ridiculous assaults on women’s rights. It is also the day when the newsy people will be discussing Puerto Rico and Missouri’s primary/caucus results. It seems like every time there are primary votes being cast in this race, it is always make or break for the candidates. I am so sick of hearing Wolf Blitzer’s voice drone on about this is the night folks…we got your results here…the stakes are high…and then it turns out, meh.

Yesterday, I saw a new baby calf take some of his first steps in the pasture that is next door to our house. It was so wonderful to see that new little guy, so happy to be out in the grass. Falling over and trembling when he did get to standing. The other calves, a bit older, would come by and frolic around the baby. Not for long though, cause Mama was very protective…she would knock the rowdy bunch out-of-the-way of her little prince. It certainly was more relaxing and enjoyable to watch those beautiful livestock (they are top-notch Black Angus, breeding stock) than it is to read about Georgia GOP idiots refer to women as cattle and chickens and goats.

Another thing I did this weekend, was to pop in some of my Ken Burns’s The Civil War DVDs in and watch a bit of that amazing program. I could listen to Shelby Foote talk and talk. It made me think about some things…when this series came out in the 80′s, there was a lot of shows during that time about the history of the Civil War. Denzel Washington and Mathew Broderick did a film about the black soldiers who fought for the North. Oprah had her Beloved…there was that epic produced by Ted Turner about Gettysburg…and I do believe even a movie with Patrick Swayze. It sort of spilled into the early nighties as well, remember the TV mini-series Queen?

But it wasn’t just those hoop-skirt, Gray and Blue cultural media and films that trended at that time, there were also a lot of films about the Civil Rights era too. Love Field, Michelle Pfeiffer traveling cross-country with a black man to attend Kennedy’s funeral…Films about Malcom X, and Jim Crow and the tensions of race relations in the south like Driving Miss Daisy and The Color Purple and Mississippi Burning, such a good movie…my point with all this wandering is that during those times, there was an awareness.

Maybe it is because of my interest in history, but it seemed like people where more knowledgeable about things. Now you take a trip to Kennesaw Battlefield or Chickamauga and people are playing football and Frisbee in fields where so many lost their lives.

And yet, here we are…twenty-five years later, and what are the big social issues we are up against? Women’s Rights, Birth Control, Reproductive Healthcare etc. are being aggressively attacked by men (and several women mind you) who believe that any progress we have made in regards to women’s rights is the cause of satan himself. Yes, the devil has made women into sluts and whores and welfare queens…

These same hateful people believe that the earth is only 6,000 years old, that dinosaurs were on the ark and that global warming is from the book of Genesis. These are the idiots who pass laws that force creationism on public school students, take funding away from programs that care for women’s health and prevent life threatening illness. They talk of homosexuals as dogs and beast…they slap a Jesus here and a Satan there and sound so righteous about how close they are to the Lord…and the importance of the sanctity of marriage, while at the same time they are on their third marriage…or pay prostitutes to dress them up in diapers.

None of this rant is really anything new…but what makes me mad is that these assholes also don’t see what they are doing is discrimination. Plain and true.

Perhaps we need a cultural trend about the women’s rights movement…and the Suffragettes, and the women who endured hell to get us those few rights we see ticking away at the hands of Christian extremist.

Since I do not have access to the internet…and have linked to items I have saved away, I want to end this post with an email that our reader Connie sent to Boston Boomer earlier this week. She forwarded it to a few of the Front Pagers and I think you will appreciate it.  I’ve copied the e-mail into this post along with photos.

A TRUE STORY EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW

This is the story of our mothers and grandmothers who lived only 90 years ago.

Remember it was not until 1920 that women were granted the right to go to the polls and vote.

The women were innocent and defenseless, but they were jailed nonetheless for picketing the White House carrying signs asking for the vote.

And by the end of the night they were barely alive.  Forty prison guards wielding clubs and their warden’s blessing, went on a rampage against the thirty-three women wrongly convicted of “obstructing sidewalk traffic.”

They beat Lucy Burns, chained her hands to the cell bars above her head, and left her hanging for the night, bleeding and gasping for air.

They hurled Dora Lewis into a dark cell, smashed her head against an iron bed, and knocked her out cold.  Her cellmate, Alice Cosu, thought Lewis had suffered a heart attack and was dead.  Additional affidavits describe the guards grabbing, dragging, beating, choking, slamming, pinching, twisting and kicking the women.

Thus unfolded the “night of terror” on November 15, 1917, when the warden at the Occoquan Workhouse in Virginia ordered the guards to teach a lesson to the suffragists imprisoned there because they dared to picket Woodrow Wilson’s White House for the right to vote.  For weeks, the women’s only water came from an open pail. Their food–all of it colorless slop–was infested with worms.

Alice Paul

When one of the leaders, Alice Paul embarked on a hunger strike, they tied her to a chair, forced a tube down her throat and poured liquid into her until she vomited. She was tortured like this for weeks until word was smuggled out to the press.

Pauline Adams

HBO’s movie ‘Iron Jawed Angels’ is a graphic depiction of the battle these women waged so that we could pull the curtain at the polling booth and have our say.

Mrs. Lawrence Lewis, Mrs. Abby Scott Baker, Anita Pollitzer, Alice Paul, Florence Boeckel, Mabel Vernon (standing)

(Conferring over ratification of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution at National Woman’s Party headquarters, Jackson Place, Washington , D.C.)

Watching the movie, it is jarring to see Woodrow Wilson and his cronies try to persuade a psychiatrist to declare Alice Paul insane so that she could be permanently institutionalized. And it is inspiring to watch the doctor refuse. Alice Paul was strong, he said, and brave. That didn’t make her crazy. The doctor admonished the men: ‘Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.’

Read again what these women went through for us! We can’t let their suffering be for nothing. Women must vote!

So I will end it with that…if my internet is working up to speed, I will try to post some news links in the comments. If not..can you help me out? What are you reading about and what is going on in the world today?

23 Comments on “Sunday Reads: A Little Calf Wobbles, Women and Livestock”

1. While the text is the most important part of the email, it’s a shame the old photos didn’t post too. If anyone wants the original email, let me know at cagorl at bellsouth dot net.

Anyone see Tennessee Guerilla Women this AM? She’s posted links from the ASPCA. TN legislators have a bill to start slaughtering horses so they can sell horse meat. This http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/nov/30/obama-congress-restore-us-horse-slaughter-industry/?page=all raised the hackles of some animal rights folks back in November. Wonk, as darling as those calves are, they are also going to be headed to slaughter too. Okay, I’m off the vegetarian crusade now.

Here’s a piece by Jim Hightower on our progressive (cough) president: http://www.truth-out.org/speaking-truth-about-power/1331728908

Then there’s this piece about the continuing & escalating War of Women: http://www.truth-out.org/five-right-wing-violations-against-women-we-must-crush/1331993365

And here’s a link to a piece on a courageous female professor who has been targeted by Glenn Beck: http://www.truth-out.org/frances-scott-piven-laughs-death-threats-considers-tactics-disruption/1331906514

Maybe I can put the pictures in. I’ll see what I can do.

• That would be great, bb. I tried posting the email to my blog & the photos didn’t post. Apparently the hyperlink for them isn’t imbedded in each photo.

Hi Connie,

I fixed it the best I could. I had to retype the text and put in the photos individually. I ended up leaving out a couple of photos and shortening the text a bit. I hope I caught the spirit of it. I took out some of the personal comments that were in the e-mail.

• Minkoff Minx says:

I am sorry those pictures were acting up. I have been having major DSL issues and last night had to write this post offline. When I was able to upload it, the internet was so slow I could not even check it properly. Thank you BB for fixing it for me!

I was happy to do it. Are you back on line for the time being now, Minx?

• Minkoff Minx says:

It comes and goes, but I took screenshots of the modem utility…and it happens more when the pppoe is a certain address…so damn confusing. We are calling the high tech people at windstream today.

2. joanelle says:

Thanks for this, Minx. We need to be reminded on a regular basis of the awful fight those women had to put up with in order to give us the right to vote.

I was awakened during the 2008 election however to how naive I’ve been – actually believing that we the people elected our leaders. Obviously they are getting sloppy. Gore almost won when W was actually the chosen winner. And they never thought that a woman could gather more votes than a black man – after all black men had the vote fifty years before women in 1870. But 18,000,000 Americans showed them that they value experience more than rhetoric.

Dissolutioned, yes, I am, silly me actually believing I had a say in who became my leader. Terrorists won the battle to disrupt our way of life by using those fools at the top to create an all but untenable life for Americans today. Our “leaders” have all but collapsed our country’s economy – they couldn’t have Hill at the helm – afterall she tried to ‘blow the whistle’ on the mortgage debacle back in 2006. We have the proverbial fox in the henhouse.

Thanks again, Minx.

3. foxyladi14 says:

great post Minx :)

4. peggysue22 says:

I think the far right wants us to all ‘FORGET.’ Forget all those advances made in civil rights, women’s empowerment, scientific knowledge. Let’s go back to simpler, easier times–the mythical ‘good ole days,’ when everyone had their place and didn’t step out of line.

Wish I had been standing at the fence rail with you, Minx. There’s nothing as calming than turning our eyes to the natural world. Before the crush of residential building, we had a horse farm down the street, right across from my subdivision. I use to love to watch the horses in the field on my way to work. Splendid animals!

Anyway, good luck with your computer connection. Sometimes it’s a true relief to get away from the craziness.

• HT says:

Ah you brought back memories of when I first moved to my current abode – surrounded by farmland – horses frolicking nearbay and the wonderful lullaby of crickets. Phesants funning across the lawn – now those really were the good old days – but even with that temptation, I would never go back to that time when white men ruled the world, the home and women were treated like domestic slaves – No one should be a slave – never again, please.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Oh, he is such a sweet little thing HT and Peggy…The cattle are boocoo expensive breeding cattle. The Daddy is the amazing bull, at 3500 pounds and beautiful too.

It took them 20 years to get there breeding program to produce a bull like that.

5. joanelle says:

I came across this today – saved from 7/08 –I’m not sure which one of us wrote it – I think it may have been Dak. It’s a tad long but still valid. Nothing has changed in those four years.

… they’ve just done it to us again. We’re supposed to go along for the greater good of the “health” plan. Give Obama a win. Hope they correct the injustices against women later. Well, ladies and sympathetic gentlemen, they rarely do …
    Nancy Pelosi is a SEX traitor – well, “There’s a place in Hell reserved for women who don’t support other women” – Madelyn Albright
    Call me “ALICE PAUL” – I want to Bring BACK the National Women’s Party. Screw any one that would sell out all the women in the United States to get the approval of the a few nasty, pedophile enabling Bishops. This is America and that is against everything we should stand for.

“If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies we are determined to foment a rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice or representation.” Important anniversaries are on us. This quote by the second first lady of the United States, Abigail Adams, is as fresh and pertinent as it was when she penned this in a letter to her husband in 1776.

From the birth of this country down to present day, women are the forgotten citizens. When they assert their rights, some war, some other movement, a disease, some other man or even the rights of proto-humans are placed before them and many just fall in. We take care of our gay brothers suffering from aids while the last few states fail to ratify the ERA. We support the abolition movement to free and give rights to Black Americans and votes to black men while we’re considered property way into the 1970s and cannot achieve the vote until 1920. We march. We do all the behind the scene work and organizing. Then, when we ask for the vote, for our place in governing, for our right to lead, we are told that would be expedient to larger movements. This is true of black civil rights movements, labor movements, peace movements or antiwar movements, the founding of our nation and so ad infinitum.

…The women who met during that July suggested this addition to the Declaration of Independence and penned their own tome: the Declaration of Sentiments.
    It was signed by a number of women leaders including Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott. The first women’s rights conference in the United States Convention was held in Seneca Falls, New York on July 19 and 20, 1848. Few will be celebrating this historic gathering or probably even know of it. One hundred and sixty years after the convention, the equality that Elizabeth Cady Stanton demands still eludes us.
    “The eloquent Frederick Douglass, a former slave and now editor of the Rochester North Star, however, swayed the gathering into agreeing to the resolution. At the closing session, Lucretia Mott won approval of a final resolve “for the overthrowing of the monopoly of the pulpit, and for the securing to woman equal participation with men in the various trades, professions and commerce.”

Source:

This is the same Frederick Douglass who later threw women under the carriage for Black male suffrage. In 1869, an amendment was proposed to Congress that guarantees “The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.”
    Douglass told women to wait since it was easier to get the proposed amendment through congress if it guaranteed black males the right to vote, but not women. This is exactly what happened. Women had to wait.
    For over two centuries, American women had few civil or political rights. Wives had to do what they were told by their husband. Until 1884, a wife was officially listed as one of her husband’s possessions. Women stayed slaves for years after the emancipation proclamation was signed.

yup, that was one of mine.

• joanelle says:

and a great one it was – thanks for it – again! :)

• HT says:

I remember that one very well, cause I stood up at my computer and cheered. Thanks to joanelle for bringing it back – just as timely today as a reminder of what was lost. Kudos to Kat for writing it and for so many other brilliant things.

Round of applause!!

• WOW! I just copied & pasted this comment into an email & shared with a bunch of my friends.

What would it take to start a new political party? Even if it’s only the readers of skydancing to begin with, it’s certainly a fabulous place to start.

• HT says:

Given the climate in the U.S. I doubt it would be possible without engaging the youth and educating them thoroughly – young people don’t recognize tact. The older folks are seriously entrenched in their opinions and their loyalty. It’s not a problem for me – we have 5 political parties (without counting the fringes) and only 4 are represented in Parliament.

6. joanelle says:

Actually I think the time is right to let the public know what actually happened in Denver – most folks still think that O won the primaries – it’s time to “blow the whistle” on the parties of collusion and false democracy.

Someone must have documenation on what Pelosi and her gang did. Now is the time