Saturday: Politics, Physics, and… Purr-pics!Posted: March 10, 2012
Here’s your Saturday morning link dump… grab a cuppa or have your furry one pour you a refill… and let’s get started!
“What Barack Obama seems to want to do is go back before those days when we were in different classes based on income, based on color of skin.”
–another moment of Grizzly Inanity, on Sean Profanity’s show
- Amidst a semi-endearing ‘y’all’ and ‘grits’ moment (for Mittens, that is) at a farmer’s market in Jackson, Mississippi, Romney sticks his crony capitalist foot in his mouth yet again:
JACKSON, Miss. – Campaigning in the Deep South, where he faces tough opposition from more-conservative rivals for the GOP nomination, Mitt Romney is promoting an antiregulatory theme and a vision of a new environment in which regulators “see businesses and enterprises of all kinds as their friends.”
At a town hall meeting here on Friday, Romney also slammed the Obama administration for imposing a moratorium on oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico after the BP oil-spill disaster.
“We were in Pascagoula yesterday and we saw behind us a couple of large drilling rigs not being used right now,” Romney said. “The use of drilling rigs in the Gulf is the lowest of any place in the world, lowest utilization. That’s because of this president and the moratorium he put in place that’s illegal.”
- This headline made my Friday night: “Gloria Allred seeks Rush Limbaugh prosecution“…. Bwahahaha! Classic! Whatever you think of Gloria Allred and her skill/intentions at seizing any opportunity to take on a high profile lawsuit, she still serves as a check and balance in our misogynist culture… anytime she gets on her legal eagle box, it’s a barometer of sorts. So I says… Go get him, Glo! LOL.
- You don’t hear me say this often, so listen up: Thank you, Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and the Obama Administration for not granting a waiver that would free up funds meant for the Women’s Health Program here in Texas. The banning of this program, due to icky Planned Parenthood cooties, has been such a maddening and saddening story to watch unfold. So to have the HHS and President do this is a welcome surprise for me. I hope it is more than a showhorse (rather than workhorse) move during an election year–but I’m not foolish enough to discount that possibility either. Still, this is a GOOD showhorse move, with symbolic heft to it.
- I always give credit where it’s due… So, while I am firmly in the “Honey Badger for President” camp and have zero intention of voting for Obama (or any other Republican running, Obama being one himself in everything but name…), here is another move that I must give the President credit for this week: Obama Personally Lobbied to Defeat XL Pipeline. More election pandering? Probably. It is Obama’s typical “we need more studies first” stance. But, I was still very glad to see the measure defeated. And, we do need more studies first–at minimum.
- I love this next, it’s full of geeky goodness… Via SciAm’s facebook page: “Reports of the death of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle have been greatly exaggerated.”
Alright. Now for a bit of Blogger housekeeping…
I apologize for not getting the Kitty or the Hillary posts out last weekend as promised. I’m not sure *when* I’m going to be able to get the Saturday afternoon kitteh posts going, though I haven’t forgotten about doing them one bit (and commenter paperdoll, if you’re reading, I haven’t forgotten about the dog pics I am super duper tardy on owing you, either!) It’s just going to take a few weeks more or so for me to deliver. This afternoon I have to attend the first birthday of my cousin’s first kid, so this weekend is a non-starter. And, I’m in the process of moving into some new digs (move-in date is Saint Patrick’s day)! And, then at the end of this month I turn thirty-one. So it’s nonstop nonstopping for me for a bit ;) As soon as things settle down, I’ll re-organize my blogger schedule and fit everything in.
I will have a new “Cinematherapy in Feminist Perspective” post over at Taylor Marsh’s this evening, so check it out.
Until then… here’s a picture of Rue reading the Economist with me:
If you’re curious (or nosey like Rue’s sister, Lily), here’s what we were reading last Saturday night…
As for the Hillary blogging–well, I’ve tried to keep my morning read on the lighter side this Saturday so I can spend more time on a super duper sized Hillary Sundae post for you this weekend.
Therefore… it is now your turn in the comments… What’s on your read-n-rant list this morning? Hope you have a lovely Saturday!
Oh… and here is Rue telling Lily some kind of secret…
(…actually, Rue was just grooming Lils…)