Super Tuesday Reads

Good Morning!!

Today is the day Willard Mitt Romney has been working toward since 1994 when he first ran for the Senate against Ted Kennedy. Think of the hundreds of millions of dollars he has poured into his dream of winning the presidency, only to end up on Super Tuesday 2012 with a 28% favorability rating according to the latest NBC-WSJ poll (h/t Dakinikat). Nevertheless, Romney could be the inevitable candidate after tonight–at least the Republican “establishment,” such as it is, hopes he will be.

As you can see in the image above, there are 437 delegates at stake today in the ten Super Tuesday states–that’s more than a third of the total delegates needed to win the Republican nomination.

My home state of Massachusetts holds its primary today, but I’ll be voting on the Democratic side for Elizabeth Warren for Senate. I’m actually getting a little worried about her now that Scott Brown has been leading in the polls for a couple of weeks now.

It looks like Romney will win easily here anyway. In fact, according the Washington Post, “Mass. Republicans hope a big Romney primary win Tuesday could put state into play in November”

Polls show Romney with a commanding lead among GOP primary voters here. His Republican challengers — Ron Paul, Rick Santorum, and Newt Gingrich — have put little money or effort into the state.

But those same polls show Romney trailing President Barack Obama by double digits in a state that has traditionally shunned Republican presidential candidates.

Massachusetts Republicans are hoping that Romney will be able to buck that trend by reeling in voters in the state he governed for four years.

“He’ll put Massachusetts in play,” said state Republican Party Chairman Bob Maginn.

I sure hope not! Romney isn’t popular here, and he wasn’t popular as governor. But if the state ends up being competitive, I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and vote for Obama.

Nate Silver was posting Super Tuesday updates all day yesterday, and his predictions are laid out in a sidebar at his blog. He is forecasting wins for Romney in Massachusetts, Ohio, and Virginia. He expects Santorum to win Wisconsin, Tennesee, Oklahoma, and Gingrich to win his home state of Georgia.

As for the caucus states of North Dakota, Vermont, Idaho, and Alaska, which account for 87 delegates Silver’s colleague Micah Cohen says anything could happen.  Personally, I think Romney should take Vermont, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Paul or Santorum take North Dakota.

Over at Real Clear Politics you can see a table showing all of the latest Super Tuesday polls.  Of course we’ll be live blogging the results tonight here at Sky Dancing, so please join us!

Soooo …. Here are a few headlines to get the big day started.

Howard Fineman says the Republican Party has become America’s First Religious Party

Whatever happens on Super Tuesday, the Republican primary season already has made history. The contest has confirmed the establishment of America’s first overtly religious major political party.

The signs are numerous, but it’s still easy to miss the big picture: that the GOP now is best understood as the American Faith Party (AFP) and its members as conservative Judeo-Christian-Mormon Republicans. The basement of St. Peter’s is just one clubhouse.

“There has never been anything like it in our history,” said Princeton historian Sean Wilentz. “‘God’s Own Party’ now really is just that.”

Fineman says most people don’t seem too thrilled by this idea. Duh!

The new GOP does not seem to be sitting well with the American people as a whole, or even with many traditional Republicans. Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine is only the latest non-AFP-type Republican to decide to leave politics and/or the party. In the new ruling class, “revival tent” proponents are driving out the old “big tent” advocates. And a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll shows that 40 percent of American adults think less of the party after watching its transformation this electoral season.

Will this spell the end of the GOP?

I happened to watch Hardball last night and to my horror, I saw Willard Mitt Romney in Tennessee reciting the words to an old song I recall from my childhood (but would have preferred to leave there), “Davy Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier.”  It came from a Disney movie of the same name. Charlie Pierce hated it too.

Romney is the personification of the word “dork.”

It turns out Ann Romney may have the same problem as her husband. She can’t help making remarks about being rich. Yesterday she appeared on Fox News and claimed, “I don’t even consider myself wealthy.”

Yeah, that’s “an interesting thing.” I wish she’d send me some of the $21 million the Romneys took in last year. Ann Romney is beginning to remind me of Kathleen Turner in Serial Mom.

Just one more Romney link: Sam Stein found a debate from 2008 in which Romney said he likes health care insurance mandates. Romney’s spokesman said it’s not a flip flop. You be the judge. Frankly, I don’t see how Romney can recall which side of an issue he’s on from one minute to the next.

There’s an embarrassing story from Rick Santorum’s history at Huffpo by Jason Cherkis.

For a brief moment Monday afternoon, GOP presidential contender Rick Santorum jettisoned his conservative, culture-warrior talking points to make a down-to-earth connection with Ohio voters. He confessed that as a teenager, he used to cross the Ohio border to buy beer because the state’s legal drinking age was 18. “I used to enjoy going to Ohio,” he said.

That’s funny. We used to do that in Indiana too. Ohio’s drinking age for 3.2 beer was 16 in those days. It was pretty weak stuff but you could still get a buzz from it if you drank enough.

"Rooster" with his frat brothers

Before he lived in the fraternity house, Santorum lived in a dorm in the center of Penn State’s University Park campus. During his junior year, he roomed with John Koury. “We literally rolled kegs down the dormitory floor,” Koury recalled.

Their room became a party room. “On Fridays, when everyone got back from class, we’d go get a quarter-keg from the distributor,” Koury told HuffPost. “There’d be 20 or 30 of us in the room. We’d drink it and go down to the dining hall.”

Everybody called him “Rooster.” And Rooster liked to chug.

Moving on…. Yesterday must have been the day for wives to defend their husbands. Ann Romney gave an interview to Fox, and Karen Santorum defended her husband’s attitudes toward women for Tuesday’s CBS This Morning.

“They try to corner him and make it look like he doesn’t know anything else” other than conservative social values, Santorum told CBS News political correspondent Jan Crawford in an interview for “CBS This Morning.” “As a wife, mother, an educated woman, it frustrates me that they try to do that.”

She said it’s “unfortunate” that the media tries to “corner” her husband on issues like contraception.

Maybe if he didn’t keep ranting about it all the time, they’d stop asking him about it.

“My husband is brilliant, he knows so much about — you know, like I said — national security, jobs, the economy,” she told Crawford. “You know, every aspect of this race, any issue out there, he’s brilliant.”

Yeah, right. If her husband is “brilliant,” he sure does a good job of hiding it. She also complained about many people’s reaction to the couple’s decision to take their dead 20-month fetus home to show their children.

“We brought Gabriel home from the hospital to have a funeral mass and to bury him. And so they twist it and make it sound like it was some crazy thing,” she said. “We brought him home from the hospital to introduce him to our kids and place him, it was for the funeral mass and the burial. And what is so sad to me Jan is that no one can tell me how to grieve, and I’m not going to tell anyone else how to grieve. It’s not right.”

Well she might not tell anyone how to grieve, but she and her husband seem to wants to tell the rest of us we can’t use birth control or have access to abortion and that women should home school their children instead of working for a living. The Santorums both have martyr complexes. IMO, they should quit whining, live their lives they way they want to, and leave the rest of us alone.

Good old Ron Paul made a bit of news yesterday when he said victims of the recent tornadoes shouldn’t get any federal help.

As Midwestern states face the aftermath of last week’s severe tornado outbreak, Ron Paul said victims of the storms should not look to the federal government for help.

The Texas Republican has often criticized the Federal Emergency Management Agency, because, as he says, “they just get in the way.” He made this same argument Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union with Candy Crowley regarding the recent tornado-spawned devastation in Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio and several other states.

“To say that any accident that happens in the country, send in FEMA, send in the money, the government has all this money, it’s totally out of control and it’s not efficient,” he said.

Paul argued that the money FEMA spends for disaster relief is stolen from the states and tax payers and is ultimately wasteful.

What a nasty, mean old man! He’s building up some really bad karma.

I know I should have dug up some news about Newt Gingrich too, but I couldn’t find much. He’ll have a nice night in Georgia tonight I guess, and then probably will fade into the sunset.

Other than the primaries, the big story in the news is the conflict between Obama and Netanyahu over attacking Iran, which I find so depressing that I don’t even want to think about it. You can read about it at the link. And here’s a bonus. Mitt Romney has an op-ed in today’s Washington Post called “How I would check Iran’s nuclear ambition.”

So that’s it for me. What are you reading and blogging about today? And don’t forget to join us this evening as we discuss the results of the Super Tuesday contests!

About these ads

59 Comments on “Super Tuesday Reads”

1. Pat Johnson says:

Joe Scarborough is “creaming” Mitt this morning on Morning Joe, describing him in no uncertain terms as a “liar” regarding his flip flopping again on healthcare. And rightly so. He can’t seem to keep his positions straight for even a 24 hour period.

I didn’t realize that Warren was on the ballot, bb. Wasn’t planning on voting today but this may just push me to do it. Scott Brown needs to go.

She has a couple of people running against her. I don’t think they are serious challengers.

Think Progress has a post on Romney’s “corporate ties to Limbaugh.”

3. janicen says:

If MA becomes competitive in the General Election, you won’t be the only one supporting Obama. Hell, I’ll campaign, contribute, vote, whatever. We have to run God’s Own Party out of politics to save this country.

• Pat Johnson says:

Obama will take MA.

My biggest concern is Scott Brown winning reelection.

MA voters have split their decisions over the years, particularly where the governorship is concerned. The same may apply to Brown’s chances and Obama’s “coat tails” may not be enough to carry her over.

Brown is an offshoot of the Tea Party and acts against the interests of the average voter. He does not deserve to be sent back to DC but the polls are showing he has the lead.

Early yes, but I take nothing for granted since a reminder that we once elected Mitt Romney as governor is all I need to take it seriously.

I agree that Brown is the biggest worry. I can’t believe MA would go for Romney for president. But I’m not taking any chances.

4. janicen says:

Ann Romney doesn’t consider herself wealthy? As the gap between the richest and the poorest grows, wealthy people become more and more removed from reality. The Romneys have no clue whatsoever about what it means to be poor. My husband and I often reflect upon, and are grateful for those times in our lives when we scraped and scrambled to keep the wolf from the door. The people we know who have never had that experience are shallow and heartless when it comes to people less fortunate.

• Pat Johnson says:

The Romney’s are “Six Degrees of Separation” from people like you and I.

They just can’t help themselves. Being wealthy is nothing to be ashamed of but pretending to be “one of us” is insulting.

When is the last time you or I have bought a beach house in Malibu simply to tear it down and enlarge it?

Interesting too that his 5 sons live off a 100 million dollar trust fund. Talk about never having to actually work up a sweat to earn a living.

I’d want to do well by my own kids but this is another example of how too much money can be considered obscene.

• janicen says:

Raising kids to understand money, managing it, that it must be earned, what it’s like not to have it, is something that parents must treat as a goal and focus on it. It doesn’t come naturally to most and it can slip away from you easily. I’ve observed several large families, including my own, where the older kids who grow up when the parents are poorer have better money management skills than the younger kids who grow up after some of the older kids have left and the parents are earning more. I think it’s also a challenge for all parents who want their kids to have it better than they did. When I was growing up, I didn’t have an older sister to provide hand-me-downs, and I did not have a closet full of clothes. There were a few times when I had a different outfit for each day of the week in school, but there were many more times when I had to repeat. To compensate, when my daughter was younger, I made it my mission for her to never have to go through that. I bought her lots and lots of clothes. Until I realized that she just wasn’t interested in all of my fabulous outfits, and she wore the comfortable clothes she liked and many of the clothes I bought her just hung in the closet unworn. She taught me that my baggage was not her baggage and the foolishness of trying to compensate for what I perceived to be my disadvantages.

• Pat Johnson says:

Having that much money allows you to be “removed”. And why not, you pay for the privilege.

However, trying to convince the voters that you launder your own clothes is beyond ridiculous. We are supposed to believe that a man with 250 million dollars is washing his own clothes? Absurd.

That’s what makes Mitt so positively inauthentic. Pretending to perform tasks he can well pay to have done by others. I know I would.

Besides his never ending “flip flopping” Mitt is just unable to relate to people.

A fine start would have perhaps gone something like: “I know I have millions of dollars and can afford anything I choose, including paying for my own healthcare, but knowing that makes me want to do more for those who do not enjoy the same benefits. As president I will work to maintain the necessary safety nets and put my expertise to work on behalf of affordable healthcare for all”.

He didn’t do it. He will not do it. It is beyond his level of interest.

• ralphb says:

Mitt cares for nothing other than Mitt. That’s very apparent. Pierce says he’s a locust politician in that he eats whatever he can, then moves on. That sounds right to me.

Pat and Janicen,

You know how Romney keeps saying he didn’t inherit money from his parents? Well he did inherit money, but he gave it away–for a building at BYU named after George Romney. Of course that means Mitt got a very large tax deduction. I’ll bet the boys’ trust fund came from George too.

• janicen says:

Yes, I remember reading that in some article about the many lies told by Romney. Only Willard could twist the truth into claiming that he didn’t inherit anything from his dad when in fact he did, but it served his bottom line better to give it away. How vile that he make that claim as if to imply that his wealth is self made! He grew up rich and white with a politically powerful father. That’s not growing up on third base, that’s growing up already on home plate.

5. Riverbird says:

Good post, as always.

The above link to Fineman’s column goes to Real Clear Politics; at least it did when I clicked it.. Here’s the Fineman column:

• janicen says:

Good catch. Thanks for the correct link. Fineman makes and excellent point and one that needs to be repeated again and again so that people start to notice what is really happening with the Republican Party. We are just a few electoral votes away from a theocracy.

Thanks, Riverbird. I’ll fix it in the post.

6. Minkoff Minx says:

Need to catch up…but just got back from town and on church had a sign that said Satan makes hardships unbearable…and the other church has a sign that said Pray for our Nation.

ugh….

I don’t know how you stand living there. I can’t take being around people like that any more. My last two department heads were born again baptists and stupid as the day is long. I just heard from one of my colleagues on Friday that he’s taken to announcing that he’s a real christian in every class now and then offers to talk to any one that needs help. My colleague said one of the econ students walked out of the class and dropped it then told the story to my colleague afterwards. Unbelievable. It’s like there’s a zombie army out there. They just don’t wear the stage make up. Most of New Orleans is made up of normal catholics but then, there’s still the southern baptist crowd that sneaks in from the hinterlands and they are awful.

an example:

In the effort to bring abortion care back to Wichita, the terrorists are winning—with help from the Kansas legislature

Story of a family practice doctor who decided to do first trimester abortions when her patients had no place else to go. Really moving. She was basically threatened and harassed into not doing it.

• Pat Johnson says:

And according to that “wise old sage” Pat Robertson, the tornados that touched down last week were caused by the “lack of prayer”. Had they all prayed hard enough god would have intervened.

Like you, I have reached my limit of saturation of these fools trumpteting a belief in something that doesn’t exist and forcing it onto everybody else.

I’ll make a bargain with these fundies: believe what you want, leave me to mine. Better to go outside and commune with the natural wonders of the world before they all disappear under of blanket of “god’s will” in choking us to death with poor air quality just to show us “he means business”.

Pat Robertson needs to reread the part of the old testament where gawd destroys Sodom and Gomorrah because they were greedy and not charitable enough to the poor and unwelcoming to outsiders.

• Minkoff Minx says:

You are right about a zombie army…I still need to catch up on the blog, but I just saw a tweet from MOJO about Santorum saying single women are giving birth to criminals.

OMG! Santorum is evil!

Here’s something that ought to scare every one coming from the Non Supremos

The conservative agenda thrives at the Court in lesser-known decisions, as well. Last spring, for example, in a case out of Arizona, the Court made it much harder for citizens to challenge government expenditures that support religion. This was part of a pattern of cases in which the Justices have erected barriers to lawsuits by individual citizens against the government or corporate defendants. In Arizona Christian School v. Winn, the Court gave the green light to states to give tax credits for individuals who send their children to parochial schools. As this decision illustrates, the Roberts Court is more amenable than its predecessors to lowering the barriers between church and state. (The issue is every bit as important as whether church-affiliated universities should provide birth control to their employees, but it has received a fraction of the attention.)

great, more indoctrination of children into hateful and nonthinking frames of mind

• ralphb says:

With the potential of a couple of Justices to be appointed by whoever is elected in 2012, I don’t see how anyone with a remotely liberal bent could vote against Obama.

During his first US Senate campaign, Rick Santorum warned voters of a growing menace that was “breeding more criminals” and threatened to destroy America from within: single mothers.

“Most people agree a continuation of the current [welfare] system will be the ruination of this country,” Santorum told a town meeting in Clairton, Pa., in February 1994, according to transcripts of the appearance obtained by Mother Jones. “We are seeing it. We are seeing the fabric of this country fall apart, and it’s falling apart because of single moms.”

Santorum must have really hated his mom for having a professional job and earning more money than his dad.

I actually put the link a few comments down at the same time she posted this. WE saw the same tweet and were shocked together, I guess!!!

• janicen says:

My favorite comment on that link from Theorj…

Welcome to the free market Rush! I bet you didn’t think it could cut both ways did you?

People like Rush champion their glorious unregulated free market until the day comes when it sinks it fangs into them instead.

In an email release today, GEICO said, “In 2004 when Rush Limbaugh’s program also carried remarks that were inappropriate, we ceased all advertising on his show. We don’t advertise there to this day. On occasion, a local station may mistakenly run a GEICO ad in the wrong time slot. We are directing our ad buyers to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

On Facebook, the St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Connecticut said it “has directed WABC to withdraw our advertisements from the Rush Limbaugh show,” adding “We agreee that Mr. Limbaugh’s recent derogatory comments regarding an individual testifying before Congress are not acceptable.”

According to Bloomberg, Stamps.com has also suspended advertising and tractor maker Deere & Co. will take steps to make sure it doesn’t advertise on the program.

9. foxyladi14 says:

VOTE it is important. :)

10. Delphyne says:

Somewhat O/T and a funny read, especially for those of us who love to cook and eat: The Super Tuesday Santorum Cake.

Maybe Breitbart didn’t have a heart attack? After the autopsy, they are waiting for toxicology and microscopic tissue studies before assigning a cause of death.

12. ralphb says:

TPM: Jon Stewart On Rush Limbaugh: ‘Extremely Loud And Incredibly Gross’

Good grief, this is hilarious and he kills it!

O’Reilly is Terribly Upset That Fluke Won’t Appear on His Show to be Grilled Over Her ‘Sense of Entitlement’

14. The Rock says:

A bit OT, but par for the course from Bumbles….

Asshat.