Open Thread: Bill Donohue vs. Nicki Minaj

I’m not really current with the pop music scene. I didn’t watch the Grammy Awards last night, and I didn’t watch the Superbowl halftime show either. But Bill Donohue of the Catholic League was watching both, and he is not amused. He wants to know, “Is Nicki Minaj Possessed?” Here’s Donohue’s description of the offending performance:

Nicki Minaj, fresh off looking like a fool with Madonna at the Super Bowl, showed up last night on the red carpet at the Grammys with a guy dressed like the pope. This was just a prelude of what was to come.

Minaj’s performance began on stage with a mock confessional skit. This was followed by a taped video depicting a mock exorcism. With stained glass in the background, she appeared on stage again with choir boys and monks dancing.

Perhaps the most vulgar part was the sexual statement that showed a scantily clad female dancer stretching backwards while an altar boy knelt between her legs in prayer. Finally, “Come All Ye Faithful” was sung while a man posing as a bishop walked on stage; Minaj was shown levitating.

Donohue says that in approving this performance, the Recording Academy insulted Catholicism in a way they never would Judaism or Islam. Then he throws in a gratuitous attack on President Obama:

It’s bad enough that Catholics have to fight for their rights vis-à-vis a hostile administration in Washington without also having to fend off attacks in the entertainment industry. The net effect, however, will only embolden Catholics, as well as their friends in other faith communities.

“Fight for their rights?” Give me a break. I think I’ve heard quite enough about the Catholic Church’s “rights” for the past couple of weeks. Screw you, Bill. So far Judaism and Islam haven’t tried to force me to conform to their religious beliefs. When they do, I’m sure some pop artist will satirize them too.

You can watch Nicki Minaj’s performance here. I checked out last night’s Grammy’s live blog, and it seems Wonk the Vote liked it. That’s good enough for me.

About these ads

23 Comments on “Open Thread: Bill Donohue vs. Nicki Minaj”

1. I turned on the Grammys after Downton Abbey was over. I tried to watch Minaj’s performance & couldn’t take it. Personally thought it was crap, but I’m an old fogey. I prefer being able to understand the words to a song, possibly attempt to sing along, and watch someone perform who doesn’t have to resort to props to entertain. Give me Billie Holiday, Smokey Robinson, Sam Cooke, the Beatles, CSNY, James Taylor or Carole King any day. Sorry but this was not my cup of tea. Just thought it was trashy.

I’m an old fogey too, Connie. I haven’t listened to top 40 music since FM radio started. I used to listen to the new alternative music, but since I don’t drive as much as I used to I just stick with blues and folk. Occasionally, I listen to some Jimi Hendrix. Rock ‘n’ Roll is dead anyway.

• Well this is why, like I said last night, I haven’t watched the Grammys in many, many years. I think the most recent “popular” music I liked was Phil Collins. So, I guess it was some time in the 80s that current music & I broke up due to irreconcilable differences. I still have my albums, cassettes & CDs. Actually I moved to country for a while but the bible thumping, gun toting, flag waving, war loving drove me off. Still love the Dixie Chicks, though, but they aren’t together any longer. They were run out of town on a rail for not loving G W.

• ralphb says:

When did the Dixie Chicks break up? They had one of their biggest sellers after that Bush crap died down. Remember “Aint Ready to Make Nice”?

I think they’re just taking time off because they have a bunch of small children.

Confession: I’ve NEVER watched the Grammys. I don’t really like awards shows though.

• ralphb says:

I remember when the 2 sisters and another girl used to play downtown Dallas before Natalie joined them. They were great even back then. Natalie brought her great voice and her father Lloyd who became their arranger and producer. He put them on a whole other level.

2. Pat Johnson says:

Going to let my “age” show here, but I admit to now knowing who half of these “stars” are.

One reason I liked listening to Whitney Houston is I understood her lyrics. Most of these people, to be honest, all sound alike. “Talent” for some appears to be how high they can screech at the top of their lungs without scaring the cat.

The “hip hoppers” are the worst. With essentially “one beat” to play off, the few lyrics that do make it through are usually pretty salacious.

I guess for me the “music died” when the voices of Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney and singers who were into “phrasing” began to disappear to be replaced by “screamers” or hip hoppers whose questionable talent lies in how much they can gyrate.

Most of the time I am unable to identify one from another which is quite different from the “old days” that when you heard a singer’s voice you easily know who it was.

But I will admit to kind of liking the music of Lady Gaga, outrageous as she may be.

• ralphb says:

Come on Pat, you gotta like Springsteen. Everybody likes Bruce.

I love Rosemary Clooney, but are you saying you never even listened to Rock ‘n’ roll back in the ’60s?

Not even Elvis? The Beach Boys? The Beatles?

• northwestrain says:

Righteous Brothers, Neil Diamond, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Buddy Holly, Janice Joplin, The Grateful Dead, Tina Turner, Paul Simon, The Beachboys (already mentioned — but what the heck). And lots more. ah — then “I am woman, hear me roar, in numbers too great to ignore. . . “

• Pat Johnson says:

You guys have me all wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

I love all those you mentioned,

I’m basically referring to today’s singers.

I have cds of Bon Jovi, the Beach Boys, U2, including some highbrow recordings.

The singers and groups you all mention, including the Beatles, reside in my collection.

Some of the new ones today wouldn’t know a “melody” if it backed up and bit them in the butt.

fend off attacks in the entertainment industry

A dumb skit by a pop singer & entourage is an attack?

“Attack” should be reserved for situations such as dying from a ruptured ectopic pregnancy in a Catholic hospital because a clump of cells is more important than a woman’s life.