Live Blog: South Carolina Republican Primary

Here we go folks! It looks like Mitt Romney is about to get an a$$ whipping. Newt Gingrich’s ego is going to fill the whole room tonight. I don’t think I can face listening to his speech. I still say Romney is going to be the nominee, but I’m glad things are getting a little more interesting.

The South Carolina polls close at 7PM, so in just a short time, we’ll start getting exit poll results. Judging by the talking heads on MSNBC, I’d say Newt is going to win pretty big. But we’ll know soon.

Here are a few recent headlines to hold you till we start getting results.

Buzzfeed: BYU Students Bus In To South Carolina To Rally For Romney

Politico: South Carolina Republican primary: 5 things to watch

CBS News: South Carolina primary exit polls: 2/3rds say debates mattered

Fox News: Gingrich, Romney close South Carolina fight with taunts

Washington Post: How Newt Gingrich’s past marriages may be helping him in SC

What are you hearing? Let us know in the comments!

About these ads

70 Comments on “Live Blog: South Carolina Republican Primary”

Exit polls are showing that about 2/3 of the voters are white, evangelical born agains that identify with the Tea Party.

CNN is reporting exit polls

Gingrich 38%
    Romney 29%

3. joanelle says:

I’ve been reading all the comments about Newt Leroy more than likely winning tonight and found it hard to sit here and restrain my judgement of South Carolinians if he does win – Dr. Ablow’s comments about what a positive his actions were is just beyond reality – where have all the adults disappear to? (roll)

Atlanta Journal Constitution: Exit poll shows SC voters made up their minds late

On CNN they are saying there is no way Gingrich will be the nominee. If Romney does really badly, calls will be going out to Jeb Bush and Bobby Jindal to see if they are interested. If Romney doesn’t win Florida, there will be calls for him to get out.

I don’t know if I buy that.

6. bluelyon says:

Do they have early voting in SC?

7. ralphb says:

MSNBC calls it for Gingrich.

MSNBC – losers! They forgot to tell Sirius/XM to leave them on the air tonight. I’m stuck listing to either CNN or Fox News.

• ralphb says:

Sorry about that. Tweetie actually made a little bit of sense when he said that Gingrich winning SC, even if Romney is the ultimate nominee, moved the whole Republican race to the right. That leaves Obama a lot more room to run.

Gingrich won among married women. LOL

10. Although I expected Newter to win – I am truly sick to my stomach. I thought W was my worst nightmare.

Steve Schmidt on MSNBC brought up the favorability polls and Lawrence O’Donnell is stating NO ONE has ever overcome unfavorable ratings like Newt’s. There is no way he could win a general election. NEVER, NO ONE, IMPOSSIBLE, frankly those words scare me. I don’t consider myself superstitious, but why, why tempt fate? Especially if the result is The should be Newtered One? Deep breath, deep breath………………………

He can’t win the general if he doesn’t get the nomination, and believe me, the bosses are going to make sure it doesn’t happen.

Romney sounded pretty fired up. How did he look?

I had to shut Ron Paul up. I just can’t listen to his whiny voice any longer.

Santorum claims he’s going to provide opportunties for everyone?

Uh-oh… back on “values.” Get married before you have children. The importance of families (if they’re his kind of families that is)

14. northwestrain says:

Western viewpoint here.

Let me tell ya all — I get really pissed off when a whole primary is determined by an idiot caucus Iowa, upstate dufusville, the south etc.

So once the idiots have chosen — then the rest of the country gets to pick the left overs???

I’m so not going to vote for any damned legacy BS party whores.

Newtie — should be neutered — dough boy for sure.

South Carolina — you are bunch of drooling fools.

Yeah, we never have anything to say here in MA either.

• northwestrain says:

No damned way to run a democracy.

And the GOP has already announced that some state’s primary votes will either not count or be considered 1/2 vote.

Jokers on the left and Jokers on the right. . . . .

15. ralphb says:

I want numbers for Stephen Colbert/Cain. I think Perry dropped out because he was afraid he would lose to a comedian.

• I’ve been waiting for MSNBC to post Colbert/Cain numbers, but they haven’t. Listened to part of Romney’s speech – looked & sounded like he’s got his mojo back. Watched portions of Paul’s & Santorum’s. I changed the channel to watch My Cat From Hell – the best show on TV during the concession speeches. MSNBC pundits are saying Santorum is setting himself up for VP for the nominee – whoever he may be.

On to Florida, my crazy a$$ state. Who knows, we did elect a man who formed & ran a health care company that defrauded the government on Medicare. And, of course, the Gov Jeb Bush helped insure his bro won the 2000 prez election. Green person suffering in a very Red State.

• ralphb says:

Florida is a nice place. I’ve got an ex daughter-in-law and two grandchildren who live in Stuart. I know what you mean about the red state. I live in Austin which is the only blue dot in the heart of red Texas. That’s gonna change in the future though because we are a majority minority state now. If the Republicans don’t get the support of the Latino population, we’ll be blue again soon.

I think most of those pundits are just full of it. Hard to imagine anyone picking Santorum for VP. If you can’t bring his constituents yourself, you can’t win a republican primary anyway. I couldn’t listen to Paul or Santorum either, yuck!

16. ralphb says:

Gingrich lies with almost every breath. Literally everything he says is a lie, including ‘and’ and ‘the’ but the idiots cheer. It’s totally amazing.

I thought his speech was pretty mean-spirited.

• ralphb says:

Classic Newt, mean as Hell with no redeeming value at all! Quite an inspiration for haters everywhere.

Exit polls look like being Mormon really hurt Romney with the evangelicals. Gingrich won them big but Romney won among the 40% which said religion didn’t count. Bigotry strikes again.

Newt won by 14 points. It’s time for Karl to get on the phone to Jeb.

Erik Erikson says today’s vote is about the base giving the finger to the Washington elites.

19. Thanks for the live-blog! I’m catching up on the thread late, though I did watch Mittens get Newtered yesterday… ;)

20. Pilgrim says:

So ironic….

Evangelicals like to cavil about supposed polygamous history of Mormons, yet —

Romney has been married to one woman only, for 42 years, while Gingrich is the one who yells all over the place about “Christian values”, who has changed his churches and his values three times each, with a mistress thrown in here and there, all flavoured with pious-sounding “repentance.” And the evangelicals throw themselves in holy hysteria at his feet. Oh God, spare me.

• Pilgrim says:

…changed his churches and his wives three times each….

• EXACTLY. I’m no Romney fan, and there’s a lot not to like about Romney in his own right…however, I do think when it comes down to Romney vs. Gingrich and Republicans claiming to be for family values and sanctity of marriage and all that other nonsense, choosing Gingrich over Romney is abundantly revealing.

• Pilgrim says:

revealing….oh, yes….revealing of a strong strain of hypocrisy in that religiosity-steeped right-wing party which once had some modicum of honour

• ralphb says:

Frankly it’s also revealing of a lot of Anti Mormon bigotry amongst the Christofascists.

• ralphb says:

Maybe they’ll boo the flag when the honor guard brings it in or something because Obama has stood in front of flags? They’re getting there.