Late Night: Can We Survive Another “Change” Campaign?

Via Politico, here is a portion of the speech Rick Perry will give tomorrow in Charleston, South Carolina. As everyone who hasn’t been living under a rock knows by now, Perry will be announcing that he’s running for President of the U.S.

“The change we seek will never emanate out of Washington. It will come from the windswept prairies of middle America; the farms and factories across this great land; the hearts and minds of God-fearing Americans — who will not accept a future that is less than our past, who will not be consigned a fate of LESS freedom in exchange for MORE government. We do not have to accept our current circumstances. We will change them. We’re Americans. That’s what we do. WE roll up our sleeves, WE get to work, WE make things better.”

Perry’s announcement will also feature a film made by an atheist, conservative filmmaker Michael Wilson, who hails from the “windswept prairies” of Minnesota.

In the video, a man, woman and two tow-headed children, eyes closed, fold their hands and pray around a table as a narrator says, “No matter what they’re raised to believe, my children should know that faith is none of the government’s business.”

The video, with an Independence Day theme, also talks of financial prosperity, limited government, health care choice and the “simple beauty of free markets.”

I don’t know about you, but I’m starting to feel a little bit queasy from all this sappy, down-home, cornball talk.

Terrific Texas writer James C. Moore, author of Bush’s Brain, is convinced that Perry will be our next President.

His Saturday speech in South Carolina will make clear that he is entering the race for the White House and will spawn the ugliest and most expensive presidential race in U.S. history, and he will win. A C and D student, who hates to govern, loves to campaign, and barely has a sixth grader’s understanding of economics, will lead our nation into oblivion….

The big brains gathered east of the Hudson and Potomac Rivers believe that Mitt Romney is the candidate to beat. But they are unable to hear what Rick Perry is saying. The Christian prayer rally in Houston was a very loud proclamation to fundamentalists and Teavangelicals, which said, “I am not a Mormon.” The far right and Christian fundamentalists have an inordinate amount of influence in the GOP primary process and, regardless of messages of inclusion, very few of them will vote for a Mormon.

“We think a them Mormons as bein’ in kind of a cult,” one of the Houston rally attendees told me. “I couldn’t vote for one a them when we got a real Christian like Governor Perry runnin’.”

In other words, we’re doomed. And if Perry win, that will be the final proof that there is no god. Would a merciful god allow this man to become President?

About these ads

31 Comments on “Late Night: Can We Survive Another “Change” Campaign?”

Just shoot me now.

3. Peggy Sue says:

Save me a bullet, BB. Just when you think it cannot get any worse?

This proves it can.

A ‘C’ & ‘D’ student running the country. Perfect. Makes GW a Rhodes scholar, I guess.

And just to make you really gag, I heard tonight that Miss Sarah loves herself some Rick Perry, scared him up some frightful sums of money for his Governor’s race. It was even suggested, she might be tempted to join him on a ticket if he were to win the nomination.

Think about it. Or better yet have a strong drink. Yikes! We’ve entered the Twilight Zone.

4. northwestrain says:

I got to 29 seconds and had to stop the damned thing.

Guess I’ve had way to much preaching at me male fundamentalist jerks.

His voice — his phony “come to Jesus” voice and his Texas twang.

I do have a few Texas friends and they don’t sound like that. Well one is a military brat and she has the military southern accent.

Just shoot me now.

I hear you sister — I hear you.

Neoconfederate closet case.

• B K says:

Perry is going to be edged out by Romney and Cain for the non-ideological crowd. Paul has his own people. Bachmann and Santorum have the Jesusland vote. Etc.
      I don’t think Perry is going to get very far, because the other candidates are pretty decently well along in getting their constituencies.
      And I’m hoping you’ll see fit to note some of the many instances where Paul gave the neo-cons what-for. :-p

6. northwestrain says:

I found this quote below at Democracy Now! — in a discussion about the extreme Fundamentalists that Ricky Perry is running with.

“another aspect of their sort of theology is this idea of the “Seven Mountains,” and it’s a form of Christian dominionism. They’re not the only sort of tendency or movement within American Christianity that has a form of dominionism, but this one—this doctrine is kind of a little unusual. The Seven Mountains are basically the power centers of society, so government, family, media, arts and entertainment, education, and so on and so forth. And they believe that Christians, or a certain type of Christian, are to take control of the Seven Mountains and initiate, you know, godly government, biblical values, inject them into these institutions in preparation for the installation of the Kingdom of God on earth and Jesus’ return. So that’s kind of who Perry has thrown in with in this event. “

They’re called Christian reconstructionists. Michele Bachmann is one too. They believe Christians have to take over governments worldwide and enforce biblical rules.

• Peggy Sue says:

And this is when these people get really, really freaky.

I’ve been reading up on ole Rick. Unlike a Michelle Bachmann, who actually believes this hogwash, Perry will pivot and dance with whomever he thinks can take him to the WH. I refer to him as the Elmer Gantry candidate: one hand on the Bible, the other picking your pocket. Larry Johnson over NQ has said the man is as dumb as rocks. But I’ve also read he’s a skilled pol, who knows how to work the crowd. If the Evangelical, crazy in the sky looks as if it will work, Perry will utilize it. And for the powers that be, he’d be another perfect frontman.

If Obama has shot his wad with the Masters of the Universe, Rick Perry could be the next puppet they’ve decided to afflict us with. This could get very ugly, the Christian Taliban on the march.

And here’s an even scarier quote from Sinclair Lewis:

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”

Lewis may prove to be a prophet.

• WomanVoter says:

They look so innocent with their hands together, plotting, oops, I mean praying…

Peggy Sue,

I agree with you. Perry is just like Obama and Romney in that he’ll say anything to win. The reason Bachmann scares me so much is she actually believes this bullsh&t. She’s a true believer, IMO.

7. northwestrain says:

8. Pat Johnson says:

I don’t think I can take much more! Seriously, these people are some of the dumbest people to ever emerge as possible presidential material and not one of them is close to being sane.

Instead of calling out these hucksters with their never ending “Jesus talk”, the press is handicapping their chances of winning the WH. Come on!

Bad enough we have to live in the same country as some of these nutjobs but having them fully in charge?

Where’s Nurse Rachet when you need her?

Here’s another Rick Perry speech:

Read the last three paragraphs.

• Pat Johnson says:

If I turn things over to god do you think he will mow my lawn tomorrow? I don’t quite feel up to it myself. Or at least could he send someone to do it for me?

It’s not like I’m asking him to run the country. Just a little yard work is all.

He didn’t bring rain when Perry prayed for it. Maybe god doesn’t like Texas so he decided to let it burn.

10. Gregory says:

Dang, is he talking about Perry or is he talking about Obama? Seems to be two peas in a pod.

11. Gregory says:

I want to reiterate before you guys declare Perry to be the Devil that in my area the hardcore “conservatives” all hate the guy with a passion. Don’t know a single Republican who likes him.

Also, he isn’t nearly as much a Winger as he is being portrayed. All this crap is NEW and appears to be solely for show because in order to be President of the USA you now have to pass the Religious test and only the religious test.

Also, he has been a pretty good Governor. Much, much, much better than W and he has tried to get some progressive things enacted like getting the state to pay for HPV vaccinations which sent the religious whacko’s into a frenzy. I could go on and on and on but you guys won’t believe me anyway. If it is a choice between voting for him and Obama I think I know who has the moral compass, the leadership ability and the desire to help other people.

And economically our state has been pretty well off since he has been Governor. Certainly not great but we fared a lot better than most states.

• Peggy Sue says:

“I could go on and on and on but you guys won’t believe me anyway.”

You must be psychic, Gregory. Because you’re right I/we [though I can’t really speak for the board I would guess that the majority if not all] don’t believe you.

You’ll have to peddle the Perry love somewhere else.

• paper doll says:

You’ll have to peddle the Perry love somewhere else

Amen sister

• Gregory says:

I am not peddling Perry love. Have never voted for the man and don’t intend to. Just saying he is not Satan incarnate and that he is better than Obama. But as Joseph Cannon says many of the clerks working at McDonald’s would do a better job than either. But whatever floats your boat. What bothers me is all of my whack job fellow democrats who voted for both Bush, Bush and Obama. There should be no excuse for voting for either.

• JeanLouise says:

I seem to recall that Perry had a close relative who was connected to the drug company that manufactures the HPV vaccine. Perry was motivated by greed and was willing to mandate that girls be vaccinated with a controversial compound to make a buck. I’m sure that the relative and the manufacturer would be beyond pleased that Perry used the power of his office to make them so much money.

So, Gregory, tell me what else Perry has done for women in Texas? Has he increased their numbers in elected office or the judiciary? Has he significantly increased the number of well-paying (not minimium wage) jobs for women? Do those jobs include affordable heathcare and paid sick and maternity leave? Has Perry increased the amount of funds directed toward daycare and public transportation so that poor women with children can get to work or school? What’s his record on reproductive choice?

No, I didn’t think so.

Education is one thing the governor can influence.These stats are shameful.

Texas is #49 in verbal SAT scores in the nation (493) and #46 in average math SAT scores (502).

Texas is #36 in the nation in high school graduation rates (68%).

Texas is #33 in the nation in teacher salaries. Teacher salaries in Texas are not keeping pace with the national average. The gains realized from the last state-funded across-the-board pay raise authorized in 1999, which moved the ranking from 33 to as high as 26th in the nation, have disappeared over the last five years.

Texas was the only state in the nation to cut average per pupil expenditures in fiscal year 2005, resulting in a ranking of #40 nationally; down from #25 in fiscal year 1999.

Texas is #6 in the nation in student growth. The general student population in Texas public schools grew by 11.1% between school years 1999 and 2005, with the largest percent of growth seen among low income and minority children.

Between school years 1999 and 2005, the number of central administrators employed by Texas public schools grew by 32.5%, overall staffing in public schools grew by 15.6%, while the number of teachers grew only 13.3%.

From fiscal years 2002 to 2006, average tuition and fees at public universities increased 61.4%. Average tuition and fees at community colleges increased 51.3%.

From fiscal years 2002 to 2007, the Texas state budget was cut in terms of real dollar, per-student funding for universities by 19.92%; for community colleges the per-student cut was 35.29%.

California has nine nationally recognized research institutions; New York has seven; Pennsylvania has four; while Texas, the second most populous state in the nation, has only three.

Yes, I recall that too. And I believe some of the girls ran into problems with the vaccine also.

• Gregory says:

I didn’t say the guy was liberal. As for the education thing this state has been pitiful since way back. All they ever do is give unfunded mandates but then cut the funding to the schools and this last year they fired teachers all across the state.

When you look for a job as a teacher here the primary job title is coach and the secondary title is teacher of subject ______. But you also have to look at those numbers with the proper lens. We are a minority majority state with a rather large Mexican/American population and a large African American population and we have a lot of poverty here.

Did I say that Perry was interested in solutions? Did I say that he thinks like we do or at least me because I am liberal in the extreme. Honestly, I can’t see a lick of difference between Obama and Perry excepting Perry has more executive experience. I also think that when push comes to shove he’d actually try to do the right thing. We know that Obama absolutely will NOT. Personally, I don’t know how people can keep talking themselves into voting for either of these corporate parties. There is no difference.

• B Kilpatrick says:

Governors in Texas are mostly figureheads. Gardasil Rick had nothing to do with anything that happened in Texas, either good or bad.