Late Night: Is Tim Pawlenty Secretly Pro-Choice?

Tim Pawlenty, "closet moderate"

Wow, breaking news! I know Mitt Romney isn’t really anti-abortion, but Tim Pawlenty? In an op-ed headlined “The Manufactured Candidate,” Shawn Lawrence Otto, a long-time acquaintance of the Minnesota Governor and GOP presidential candidate, claims that Pawlenty told him he was “personally pro-choice.”

I’ve known Pawlenty since he was a young Republican state representative from Eagan, Minn. We had some of the same friends and used to golf together once in a while. His campaign treasurer was my accountant…

Pawlenty is a very talented guy, and I respected his opinion. His first question was, “What’s your position on choice?” I hadn’t ever been asked the question quite so pointedly. “You’ve got to take a stand on that first,” he said. “Well,” I said, “OK. I don’t like abortion; I think it’s a really tough personal decision, but not something the government should be getting into one way or the other, so I guess I’m pro-choice.”

He looked at me over his lunch and said, “Well personally, so am I, but here’s the thing. You’ve got to find a way to get your mind around the language of saying ‘pro-life.’ It’s in how you phrase it.”

I’ve since learned I’m not the only one Pawlenty has said this to.

This is the political reality for Republicans. You have to pretend to be crazy to get elected.

Otto isn’t comfortable with what he sees happening in the GOP:

This integrity issue doesn’t seem to bother Pawlenty the way it bothers me. He’s wanted to be president for as long as I’ve known him, and ambition can cause principles to take a back seat. He has shown a similar cynicism in his more recent about-faces on climate change and health care, stunning many Minnesotans and former allies and causing some to wonder: Do you really have to sell your soul to succeed in Republican politics?

The answer seems to be yes. And judging by the non-reaction of Democrats to the war on women taking place around the country, they are learning to accept same “reality.” And as a result, millions of women will suffer and die because of the disgusting cowardice of these amoral politicians.

As Bob Dylan wrote in another context, “we’re only a pawn in their game.”

About these ads

12 Comments on “Late Night: Is Tim Pawlenty Secretly Pro-Choice?”

Tim Pawlenty’s incoherent foreign policy speech:

In Tim Pawlenty’s speech before the Council on Foreign Relations, the former Minnesota governor criticized America’s decades old policy of cozying up to dictators in the Middle East, castigated America’s behavior abroad during the Obama Administration — it’s allegedly wrong on Israel, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Palestine, and Afghanistan — and followed up with this non-sequitir: “America is exceptional, and we have the moral clarity to lead the world.”

It’s an incoherent position: it cannot be that America wrongly propped up Middle Eastern and North African dictators over many decades, that its current policy is terribly wrongheaded, and that our elected leaders are uniquely possessed of the moral clarity to get things right in those regions. Pawlenty implicitly admits as much. “America already has one political party devoted to decline, retrenchment, and withdrawal,” he notes. “It does not need a second one.” In other words, he thinks that all Democrats and some Republicans have wrongheaded views about America’s role in the world. It sure seems like what Pawlenty actually believes is that if elected, he would possess the moral clarity to lead the world.

2. Minkoff Minx says:

You know, it comes down to 2 kinds of GOP candidates…

The ones who will say they uphold these bat shit crazy ideals and beliefs so that they get the “conservative” vote…the ones who will say anything to move up the political pole, and will give fetal anti-union fanatic lap dances to who ever will slip those wet greasy dollar bills in their opportunistic thongs.

Then you go the other kind of GOP candidate, the true bat shit crazy believers…that are in some sort of extreme religious right trance, the fetus zombies that must feed on the brains of the people who don’t follow the same rules they do.

What difference does that make to the women who will be denied health care and the right to control their own bodies and make their own decisions?

• Minkoff Minx says:

It doesn’t make any difference…and it won’t unless more people wake up and realize what is going on, and what they are losing.

And BTW, you can also lump a lot of democrats in that first group as well, only they give lap dances to the dudes who are just too big to fail.

• Branjor says:

Wow, you gave me a sudden insight as to what might be going on with the “fetus zombies” to make them so concerned with fetuses – they’re sort of like fetuses themselves, what with having to feed on others’ brains.

3. paper doll says:

I saw this! lol! Thanks! I agree!

When you think about it, Dems have done nothing to defend its base since Bill left office…their gains since have stemmed from backlashs from GOP excesses…up to and inculding Obama’s installing….they have done nothing. They continue to do nothing. I wish the Dem base got as mad as the GOP base!

“America is exceptional, and we have the moral clarity to lead the world.”

lol oh that Pawlenty is a card!

I hope this ruins his presidential ambitions …. Oh wait — he’s already dead last in the Iowa polls.

• paper doll says:

he’s already dead last in the Iowa polls.

put a fork in him…the white bread generic candidate has to be quietly assuring…as soon as they get bombastic, they lose all appeal . And the more ” fired up ” they get to supposedly help their sinking polls , the faster they sink

4. PJ says:

I don’t know why I still care as I do believe it’s all theater, but I still do… Tim Pawlenty has always just felt dead on arrival to me. He is too desperate (AND boring). Romney is too desperate. Al Gore was too desperate. Bachmann is too desperate. It just doesn’t play well.

Huntsman is not desperate but he may be too skinny. I’m being serious. We liked Obama being thin, but Huntsman is willowy. I believe as a country, we really are that shallow.

None the less… if the GOP nominates someone who is not batshit crazy, they will probably win. People will once again be voting against something/someone rather than for. In this case, the something is the Health Insurance Scam. For it to be overturned, we need an R president and an R congress. I think people can’t stand Rs anymore than Ds (have you seen the approval ratings for congress?), but they will do what they have to do. The way to get the batshit crazy little Rs on board is with the VP choice. I think they will be dying for a reason (in good religious conscience) to get out and vote.

I’m curious as to who the “owners” will want. Could Obama lose even if the propaganda machine continues in his favor? Wouldn’t that be a shock. And should we be even more scared if the media/propaganda machine TURNS ON Obama – indicating that the owners have chosen someone else?

Obama has already done what the “owners” wanted him to do–soften us up for the kill. It’s time for them to bring in the uber fascists and for Obama to hit the lecture circuit and cash in.

• paper doll says:

The press is the big tell. They instantly telegram the owners agenda, since that is thier reason for being

5. Mark Moseley says:

The trick is, you’ve got to “get your mind around the language.”

Or perhaps just swap one for the other.